Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142197 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Um..OK..

Bought the CD but without autorip, I am now listening to this for the first time on Spotify. I couldn't wait for my mailman! ;D

First time through, Indulge In Color and The Echo Chamber are easily my top two tracks. I'm listening to the title track as I type this.
The title track's opening totally reminds me of Fields Of The Nephilim's Last Exit For The Lost.

This album is amazing. :hefdaddy

I don't know what else to say. Musically this is everything I want in music. Melodic, riffage, progressive. My favorite Redemption album to this point is This Mortal Coil, followed by The Fullness Of Time. But this. This album is amazing.

So the whole time, I'm thinking of the dichotomy of the vocalists, Ray and Tom.

I love Ray Alder. I can't stand the singer from Evergrey.

This vocalist change reminds me of when Anthrax replaced Joey for John Bush. I actually understood it at the time. Scott wanted someone heavier. Fine.

I love Redemption, but truth be told, I have always felt that I should love them more, if that makes any sense. And while I had my suspisions the whole time, I think I know what it was. As much as I love Ray, if I'm totally being honest, I never felt he was right for Redemption. While he definitely was able to convey the emotion in Nick's lyrics, he was just too silky smooth (read:not heavy enough) for Redemption.

While Tom does not come close to moving the emotional needle that Ray did, I find that the music speaks through Tom much better.

This album is amazing. Amazing. AOTY contender.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Um..OK..

Bought the CD but without autorip, I am now listening to this for the first time on Spotify. I couldn't wait for my mailman! ;D

First time through, Indulge In Color and The Echo Chamber are easily my top two tracks. I'm listening to the title track as I type this.
The title track's opening totally reminds me of Fields Of The Nephilim's Last Exit For The Lost.

This album is amazing. :hefdaddy

I don't know what else to say. Musically this is everything I want in music. Melodic, riffage, progressive. My favorite Redemption album to this point is This Mortal Coil, followed by The Fullness Of Time. But this. This album is amazing.

So the whole time, I'm thinking of the dichotomy of the vocalists, Ray and Tom.

I love Ray Alder. I can't stand the singer from Evergrey.

This vocalist change reminds me of when Anthrax replaced Joey for John Bush. I actually understood it at the time. Scott wanted someone heavier. Fine.

I love Redemption, but truth be told, I have always felt that I should love them more, if that makes any sense. And while I had my suspisions the whole time, I think I know what it was. As much as I love Ray, if I'm totally being honest, I never felt he was right for Redemption. While he definitely was able to convey the emotion in Nick's lyrics, he was just too silky smooth (read:not heavy enough) for Redemption.

While Tom does not come close to moving the emotional needle that Ray did, I find that the music speaks through Tom much better.

Yeah, the more I re-listen to it, the more I think this album is truly magnificent. My initial quibbles with The Echo Chamber aside, this is still hands down the finest album Redemption has put out yet. In fact, after swallowing my personal problems on the matter earlier, Echo Chamber is one of my personal favorites on the album alongside Indulge in Color and the title track.

Tom fits the band perfectly. I love Ray, but Tom fits Redemption eerily well. I'm pumped to hear where this lineup goes next. Nick said in a recent interview this is probably the most talented lineup the band's ever had- and I'm inclined to agree with him.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:16:24 PM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Mr. G, I saw your back and forth with Bosk yesterday. I didn't even hear the lyrics the first time through The Echo Chamber. I was too busy having my face melted.

I assume the lyrics will be in the booklet. I'll go through them when I get my CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I finally got to listen to this. It's not better than Snowfall, but miles better than Art of Loss. Tom is great and the songs I wasn't keen on sound a lot better in context with the album, especially Someone Else's Problem, which I didn't really like at all, but at full length within the album it's great.

Some negatives though. I've been down this road before, but I won't go asshat 2011 on you. There are some reused riffs from Snowfall present and used multiple times. Just a pet peeve, especially when back to back songs contain them. Snowfall suffered this problem too. And before anyone says it, yes, I know Jon Schaffer does the same damn thing. That's the least of my problems with Iced Earth right now.

I really enjoyed listening to this album though. I was worried after Art of Loss, but I can rest easy. My little pet peeves aside, Long Night's Journey into Day is a great album.

Online NoseofNicko

There are some reused riffs from Snowfall present and used multiple times.

I noticed, but it doesn’t bother me too much. Atleast they’re not taking riffs from other bands.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
There are some reused riffs from Snowfall present and used multiple times.

I noticed, but it doesn’t bother me too much. Atleast they’re not taking riffs from other bands.

In the Sonic Perspectives interview, Nick mentioned that some of the songs are companion pieces to prior Redemption songs.  So re-introducing riffs or melodies isn't surprising and then links the two songs together.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Spun this quite a few times over the weekend. It's a crazy wall of sound. The soloing is all over the place.

A great album from one of my all time favorite bands. I'm enjoying the callbacks from songs gone by, but all in all, this will most likely land in the middle of the list for my album rankings....but still really great music!

Offline Chris Hinton

I've finally had a chance to listen to this all the way through.  Musically, it's excellent -- exactly what I would expect.  Vocally, I'm just not a fan.  Tom is obviously very talented, but I don't get the emotion or depth from his vocals like I do from Ray's.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Ray's performance in Sapphire... you could hear the raw emotion of Nick's words perfectly.

Tom's performance on the new album... I feel like his voice is more seasoned (if that's a thing)..... singing Nick's words like a hardened, experienced person who has endured a lot. 

Redemption's past is incredible, and it's bright future is in very capable hands.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
I'm listening for the first time, and I'm on "And Yet."

So far, I like it. I was very concerned about Tom's voice, as (respectfully), his voice never did it for me with Evergrey. And I have to admit, while this album is great so far, I do find myself missing Ray. But I am sure that will subside. Tom sounds good here. Different than Evergrey for sure (to my ears). Glad I picked it up. Looking forward to repeated listens.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Qrusher14242

I've finally had a chance to listen to this all the way through.  Musically, it's excellent -- exactly what I would expect.  Vocally, I'm just not a fan.  Tom is obviously very talented, but I don't get the emotion or depth from his vocals like I do from Ray's.

Same for me.  I love the everything about the music, but just not feeling it with Tom. I just thought Ray with Redemption was the perfect fit.  With Tom its just ok. I can't imagine him doing someting like Leviathan Rising or Death of Faith and Reason and having the same power and emotion Ray had. On other hand, stuff like Origins of Ruins, Let it Rain, Memory may sound good with Tom.

I will still listen to it sometimes, but its not the same imo.  I've listened to it 3 times now and can only remember 1 or 2 choruses. Which is unusual for a Redemption album.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Same for me.  I love the everything about the music, but just not feeling it with Tom. I just thought Ray with Redemption was the perfect fit.  With Tom its just ok. I can't imagine him doing someting like Leviathan Rising or Death of Faith and Reason and having the same power and emotion Ray had. On other hand, stuff like Origins of Ruins, Let it Rain, Memory may sound good with Tom.

I will still listen to it sometimes, but its not the same imo.  I've listened to it 3 times now and can only remember 1 or 2 choruses. Which is unusual for a Redemption album.

Given that Leviathan and Death of Faith and Reason are among my least favourite Redemption tracks, and I consider Memory - The Origins of Ruin to be the best two-song run in their discography, I'm really fine with that, but to each their own.

I've listened to the album once, and I'll be spinning it again for sure. It's weird to hear Redemption music without Ray, that's for sure, but it still sounds like Redemption. Can't quite rank the album yet, it took me a lot to appreciate Art of Loss and I'll give this one more spins in the coming days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm very much enjoying the album so far -- and I feel like Tom's vocals fit in really great!  I look forward to enjoying this album and its lyrics for years to come.  And I'm quite pumped to see what lies ahead for this next phase of the band! :)  A few little criticisms are: 1) The beginning of the title track is so good that I want it to go on longer and not abruptly stop! 2) As a keyboard lover, I feel like some of the keyboard parts could be a little louder in the mix; 3) I feel like the album is so heavy that it could possibly use another softer song.

But those things aside, the band totally knocked this album out of the park.  Really, really, really well done.  Redemption has probably released as many consistently strong albums as any progressive metal band out there, which is amazing considering that Nick has a full-time job and still manages to craft some stellar music.  So impressive!

:metal 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:59:52 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nachtmerrie

Really good and very consistent album which will make my top 5 of the year at least. It may be Redemption's most consistent album but
at this point I'm missing the standout songs like Memory, Sapphire, Black and White World and Slouching Towards Bethlehem.

At this point I don't think it will make my top 3 of Redemption albums mainly because I don't hear the raw emotion that makes me comeback to Origins and Snowfall. Part of that will be Alder though I really like what Tom brings to the band.
I can't really put my finger on any other reasons but it might have something to do with the production. The album sounds great but maybe a little too 'polished' for my taste.

I will listen again in a few weeks and who knows the album continues to grow on me.
So far, 7,5 / 8 points out of 10.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I will say, I do kinda have some personal quibbles with The Echo Chamber. Musically it's one of the best songs on the album and I get what Nick is trying to argue with the song's lyrics and he offers some very valid points. Under normal circumstances, I think it's a potent song that is going to feel topical for a long time moving forward.

However, at the risk of diving too deep into politics where it's not supposed to be, I feel like there are times where certain groups in politics are flat-out wrong on a topic or movement and shouldn't be negotiated with at all or try to "meet in the middle." Take something like the Civil Rights movement in the 50-60's with segregation and voting rights. That's absolutely something that had a right answer to it.

I won't get into specifics because, as you noted, it isn't appropriate in this thread or this subforum.  But as I understand the song, it isn't about a specific issue.  And "finding common ground" isn't about agreeing or implicitly condoning something.  It is just about having mature dialog.  The "common ground" is along the lines of "let's discuss this like mature adults."  Whether there is a clear "right/wrong answer" on a given issue is irrelevant to that.

And as an aside, as a general proposition, that is a stance I happen to agree with.  No matter how "wrong" somebody might be, we should be able to discuss like mature member of the human race and show mutual respect to one another as people, even if we cannot show respect for the idea or position being put forth.  It's about love and mutual human respect.

Just quoting this conversation because my CD arrived today and I wanted to read the lyrics to The Echo Chamber. I assume Nick is talking about Trump? But honestly, I feel the lyrics are general enough where they could be talking about anyone in power.

Online NoseofNicko

Just received the CD from Amazon.ca. The jewel case was all cracked and the disc was all scratched, so I had to order it again. Awesome.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:11:26 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I forgot to put my digital download onto my phone over the weekend, but did so last night and have been listening all day to the album at work.  Really like it, a lot actually. 

However, the singer discussion is kind of meaningless to me as I only just started listening to The Fullness of Time a week or two ago.  I find the styles to be really similar with the vocals, and I guess that's because the man writing the music hasn't changed.  It honestly feels like there's not much of a difference besides a slight difference in their voices.  I also don't know Evergrey so Tom's vocals there have no impact on my thoughts on Redemption.

Since most of my listening is while I work, I haven't been able to form strong opinions on songs, but the whole album is great.  I recognized the U2 song as it sounded familiar, but I don't think I'd immediately know it was U2 if I hadn't read it here.  Cool version! 

It seems I need to get another album or two before ProgPower but I really might not have time to dig in fully before then, especially if I keep coming back to this album.  I'd guess their setlist would be heavy from the new album with Tom though so I should know a lot of the songs by the time they hit the stage.

Online NoseofNicko

Just received the CD from Amazon.ca. The jewel case was all cracked and the disc was all scratched, so I had to order it again. Awesome.

Paid for one day shipping and received my other copy today. Case was fine......... But the disc was loose in the case so it’s scratched. Awesome. Obviously I’m not gonna order it for a third time...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
From Nick (Kickstarter e-mail, spoiler of the live BR name and one song on the set):

"We have determined the title of the upcoming release will be Alive in Color...a play on the decision to "live in color" in our song Indulge in Color. I guess you can imagine that song will be in the setlist. :)"

The new album is really great and, although Tom's voice was a bit shocking at first,  I'm really loving it now! Very different from Ray for sure, so it's hard to compare, but it's clear that Tom is a vocalist at the same level of Ray. This album is very different from TAoL, which was much more on the melodical and atmospherical side of Redemption's music. The songs on this one are much more heavy and intense, reminding me me a lot the vibe of This Mortal Coil - my fave Redemption album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, after living with this disc for just about a week, and playing it once a day, I think it is pretty good. I don't think I'd gush on it like I did with Snowfall (which I think is Redemption's high water mark), but it's a really good album.

As I mentioned earlier, my concern was Tom's voice. And while it is different than how he sings in Evergrey, I still find myself not sold. Technically, he's a really good singer. Guy has tons of talent. But the tonal quality of his voice, to my ear, sounds much more monotone, and less dynamic than Ray. I mean, Ray didn't sing in the stratosphere with Redemption, so he was in one general spot, range-wise, as is Tom. But Tom's voice is not as warm as Ray's, so it just sounds...there...to my ear. To set himself apart, I would have thought Tom might have used some range, or perhaps craft some melodies that are a little more dynamic in what they try to achieve. Instead, what I hear is Redemption doing what Redemption does, with Tom on vocals, instead of Tom putting his stamp on Redemption.

Again, I LIKE the record. I'm just trying to be objective about it. When Ray joined Redemption, I felt the band really took a step up, vocally, and melodically. With Tom, I sort of expected a different stamp on things and that the band would go a different place. At least to my ear, it hasn't. It's just like "take Ray out, insert Tom, ok, go." Maybe that was what Nick and Tom wanted to do with this record, to make it an easier transition for some people. But I guess for me, I wanted Redemption to take a different turn with a new singer, who could really put his stamp on it.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline kaos2900

Re: The official Redemption thread v. Long Night's Journey Into Day - July 27th
« Reply #1000 on: August 02, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
Ok, after living with this disc for just about a week, and playing it once a day, I think it is pretty good. I don't think I'd gush on it like I did with Snowfall (which I think is Redemption's high water mark), but it's a really good album.

As I mentioned earlier, my concern was Tom's voice. And while it is different than how he sings in Evergrey, I still find myself not sold. Technically, he's a really good singer. Guy has tons of talent. But the tonal quality of his voice, to my ear, sounds much more monotone, and less dynamic than Ray. I mean, Ray didn't sing in the stratosphere with Redemption, so he was in one general spot, range-wise, as is Tom. But Tom's voice is not as warm as Ray's, so it just sounds...there...to my ear. To set himself apart, I would have thought Tom might have used some range, or perhaps craft some melodies that are a little more dynamic in what they try to achieve. Instead, what I hear is Redemption doing what Redemption does, with Tom on vocals, instead of Tom putting his stamp on Redemption.

Again, I LIKE the record. I'm just trying to be objective about it. When Ray joined Redemption, I felt the band really took a step up, vocally, and melodically. With Tom, I sort of expected a different stamp on things and that the band would go a different place. At least to my ear, it hasn't. It's just like "take Ray out, insert Tom, ok, go." Maybe that was what Nick and Tom wanted to do with this record, to make it an easier transition for some people. But I guess for me, I wanted Redemption to take a different turn with a new singer, who could really put his stamp on it.

I just came here to post my opinion of the album and these pretty much sums up my feelings. I really like the album and I don't dislike Tom but the emotion from Ray's voice leaves me ultimately feeling a little disappointed. The songs are all top notch and there isn't one that I don't like which is rare nowadays. But I feel like if you put Ray on this album it would really have taken it to the next level. Still a 4/5 for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1001 on: August 02, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »

Easy there, Tiger.

My second listen , musically was amazing. But while I was able to look past Tom initially, I feel like he will hinder me going forward.

I totally agree with this:

Offline nvandyk1

« Reply #1002 on: August 03, 2018, 12:03:00 AM »
I'd love if all the people bitching that Tom sounds too different from Ray could get on one side, and all the other people bitching that Tom doesn't sound different enough could get on the other, and then they could have some sort of death match and I could eat popcorn and just wait it out. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1003 on: August 03, 2018, 12:19:18 AM »
I know that was in jest, but it isn't really a contradiction.  (Some/many) people want Ray because of how his voice sounds with Redemption; he's been the voice for a long time, and his voice was one of the ingredients contributing to the band's sound.  But if they can't have Ray, they don't necessarily want someone else to sing the material the way Ray would have sung it.  That's just going to make them wish even more that Ray was still in the band.  (Add to that people who fall into the above and are also fans of Tom, and those people would probably prefer Tom to sound like himself.)

I think it makes sense; it's hard to get used to a new singer and the album hasn't been out that long.  It's going to take people time to get to know it better and if they start to appreciate Tom more. 

I'm going to get to listen to the album in full for the first time this weekend and will see if I feel this way (wishing Tom sounded more like himself) it like I did with Little Men.   

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: August 03, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »
I'd love if all the people bitching that Tom sounds too different from Ray could get on one side, and all the other people bitching that Tom doesn't sound different enough could get on the other, and then they could have some sort of death match and I could eat popcorn and just wait it out. :)

:rollin

It would be entertaining!

In all seriousness though, I mean, you expected this right? I think most people agree that we like the record. It'll just take some time to get used to Tom's voice.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1005 on: August 03, 2018, 08:17:44 AM »
I'm not done with this album, I'm just starting the title track, but I have to say I'm enjoying this. I'm liking it way more than The Fullness of Time. I still haven't heard Snowfall, but now that I've heard this and I'm enjoying it, I'm more inclined to give it a listen soon. I like Tom in this band more than Ray. I also like the U2 cover but think it needs more reverb.

EDIT: I do wish the album wasn't 1 hr 15 mins though.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: August 03, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »
I also like the U2 cover but think it needs more reverb.

I'm not huge on the cover. I honestly wish Nick would have left it off and made it a b-side. It's expertly done, but I didn't think it was necessary, and would have trimmed the running time of the album down a few minutes...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1007 on: August 03, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »
Couldn't you just.... not listen to it if you're running short on time?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: August 03, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »

Of course. But when you're an album guy, and like to listen to the entire body of work in sequence, skipping a track is sort of what you don't normally like to do.

Don't get me wrong. I like the record. But pointing out nitpicks, as well as giving praise, is sorta what forums are for, are they not?  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: August 03, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »
Yeah the cover was nice but I'm scratching my head as to why they put it on here... Get rid of that and trim the F out of some of the other songs and you got a winner here. This is a good album... I dig it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1010 on: August 03, 2018, 08:37:39 AM »

Of course. But when you're an album guy, and like to listen to the entire body of work in sequence, skipping a track is sort of what you don't normally like to do.

Don't get me wrong. I like the record. But pointing out nitpicks, as well as giving praise, is sorta what forums are for, are they not?  :lol

Yeah, but - I guess it's one nitpick that I just don't get.  I mean, what is the reason you feel the need to have the running time kept down?  Why would 70 minutes be better than 75 minutes?    I mean, I have read people who are upset when they can't listen to a whole album on their way to/from work, but really, what if your commute is only 10 minutes?  Should the band then put out a 20 minute album?  (Not saying I've read this comment from you).  If the band has 75 minutes of songs that they feel proud of, then I want to hear it.  If there are songs I don't like, then it's not that the album is too long, it's that I don't like some of the songs, which could have happened just as easily with a shorter album too.  And if I do like all of the songs, then what's wrong with 75 minutes of  :metal vs only 65 minutes of  :metal?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: August 03, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »

Yeah, but - I guess it's one nitpick that I just don't get.  I mean, what is the reason you feel the need to have the running time kept down?  Why would 70 minutes be better than 75 minutes?    I mean, I have read people who are upset when they can't listen to a whole album on their way to/from work, but really, what if your commute is only 10 minutes?  Should the band then put out a 20 minute album?  (Not saying I've read this comment from you).  If the band has 75 minutes of songs that they feel proud of, then I want to hear it.  If there are songs I don't like, then it's not that the album is too long, it's that I don't like some of the songs, which could have happened just as easily with a shorter album too.  And if I do like all of the songs, then what's wrong with 75 minutes of  :metal vs only 65 minutes of  :metal?

Personal preference. I mean, as Kattoelox pointed out, the record is 75 minutes long. That's a pretty long album. And there are, as he also pointed out, spots where some fat could have been trimmed on other songs (not really necessary to my ear, but I did pick up on a few spots). But again, you may not "get" the nitpicks, but it's all personal preference. I just happen to think the cover song wasn't necessary in the main running order of tunes. That's all. I don't MIND it, I just would have preferred it wasn't in there.

If you do, then that's cool!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: August 03, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
Hey, the band can be proud of it all they want. But at the end of the day, we're listening to the album, and whatever impacts the enjoyment of listening is worthy to discuss imo. A TON of bands (not just prog) don't know when to, respectfully, STFU and trim their songs down. There are sooo many songs where I get to about 5 minutes (of 6, 7, 8, whatever) and just want to go to something else. I don't need to always have the riff reprised for the 5th time or get a third solo on the outro  :lol

And yeah like Samsara said, if you like it, cool! That's awesome and I'm actually happy about that  :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1013 on: August 03, 2018, 08:51:43 AM »

Personal preference. I mean, as Kattoelox pointed out, the record is 75 minutes long. That's a pretty long album. And there are, as he also pointed out, spots where some fat could have been trimmed on other songs (not really necessary to my ear, but I did pick up on a few spots). But again, you may not "get" the nitpicks, but it's all personal preference. I just happen to think the cover song wasn't necessary in the main running order of tunes. That's all. I don't MIND it, I just would have preferred it wasn't in there.

If you do, then that's cool!

I haven't even heard it yet, so we'll see if I like it or not. :)  (Will be listening to the album today).  I totally get that we all have different personal preferences, but it just seems odd to me.  Some of my favorite albums are close to the 80 minute mark (see: most DT albums) and some of my favorites are under an hour (Threshold and Riverside have some) and to me if I like the album then what does it matter?  I'm just curious, and you don't have to explain further if you don't want, but in general (not necessarily specific to this one cover song), if you like the album, why do you care if it's 75 minutes?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1014 on: August 03, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »
Hey, the band can be proud of it all they want. But at the end of the day, we're listening to the album, and whatever impacts the enjoyment of listening is worthy to discuss imo. A TON of bands (not just prog) don't know when to, respectfully, STFU and trim their songs down. There are sooo many songs where I get to about 5 minutes (of 6, 7, 8, whatever) and just want to go to something else. I don't need to always have the riff reprised for the 5th time or get a third solo on the outro  :lol

And yeah like Samsara said, if you like it, cool! That's awesome and I'm actually happy about that  :biggrin:

I'm not saying it isn't worthy to discuss - not at all.  Of course it's worthy, that's why I'm discussing it.  However, I don't think the issue you described is an issue with the album being too long. You just don't like the songs, and that's cool.  I mean, if the (generic) band had 3 less songs and the album was under an hour, but the songs still present were unchanged, you'd still be wanting to go to something else at that 5 minute mark.  Thus, it's not the length of the album that is in question, but rather the songs themselves.