Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142816 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, Nick was pretty much an open book in that interview -- it was a fun listen!  I learned a lot of stuff about the band.  I also liked hearing him discuss things like Redemption's cover artwork and Ray vs. Tom's recording style.  This really feels like a new chapter for Redemption and it should be interesting to see where it takes the band.  The increased involvement of Tom, Vikram and Simone Mularoni could equate to some great things for the band.  Sound like the new album was written before Tom and Vikram came aboard, but they could have more input in the future.  For those who don't know Simone, DGM's The Passage album from 2016 is an insanely awesome.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:34:40 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
For those who don't know Simone, DGM's The Passage album from 2016 is an insanely awesome.

Not familiar, so I just watched their video for Fallen.  I had been under the impression that they were a prog metal band.  But then I noticed that Simone is playing a telecaster and their drummer plays a 6 piece kit and only has 4 cymbals INCLUDING his ride and hi-hats.  So they clearly can't be a REAL prog metal outfit.  There's no way a prog metal band could have any cred with such a non-metal guitar and such a small drum kit.  Such a shame.

:biggrin:  Kidding, of course.  They actually sound pretty good.  After one listen, the vocals aren't really clicking with me.  But I'll listen more see if they connect with me more.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:19:52 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
For those who don't know Simone, DGM's The Passage album from 2016 is an insanely awesome.

The first couple albums are just ok, but most of their discog is awesome-sauce.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Great.  After what was looking like it was going to be a year of extreme musical boredom, I suddenly have three new albums I need to buy (Redemption, Michael Romeo, and Neal Morse's live release) AND an entire back catalog to explore (DGM).  My wallet is not happy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Great.  After what was looking like it was going to be a year of extreme musical boredom, I suddenly have three new albums I need to buy (Redemption, Michael Romeo, and Neal Morse's live release) AND an entire back catalog to explore (DGM).  My wallet is not happy.

But your ears are. So tell the wallet to shush.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Definitely work backwards on your DGM journey.  Momentum and Frame are probably their best two (the latter being a top 5 AOTY in 2013 for me).  Dreamland is the only album I know of their first 5 (before Simone joined the band), and I wasn't too impressed with it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

Hidden Place is my favorite non-Simone DGM and it's a great album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have Momentum. I never listen to it. It just doesn't stick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

Momentum is one of my least favorites - of what I've heard.  I think of the Simone albums, Different Shapes, Frame, and The Passage are all better.  Different Shapes has a different singer than the rest with Simone.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Bosk1 your review made it to Redemption’s FB page

Offline NoseofNicko

On first listen I like Long Night’s Journey Into Day a lot more than The Art of Loss. Very good.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
On first listen I like Long Night’s Journey Into Day a lot more than The Art of Loss. Very good.

So do I.  Tom sounds so good on the record.  The video for Someone Else's Problem worried me, where I felt like he wasn't singing like his usual self (thanks for the clarification, Nick!), but there's so much more to the album and he digs in plenty.  His vocals are fantastic. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:19:26 AM by Grappler »

Offline Qrusher14242

So far, it sounds like what i thought it would. Evergrey meets Redemption.

Not sure how i feel about it yet.  Ray in Redemption was just amazing.  Tom sounds good don't get me wrong, just doesnt sound the same.  I guess this must of been what it was like when Blaze Bayley joined Maiden. All i keep thinking when i hear the new songs is how Ray would've sounded on em lol

Fullness of Time was my first album of theirs i heard and still my favorite. But Origins of Ruin is a close second. I really don't hear anything on this album that comes close to those imo,

I'll give it more spins, maybe it will grow on me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

IMO, that's not a very high bar to clear.   ;D  Very much looking forward to spinning it in an hour or so - I randomly selected Romeo's album to play first this morning.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Art of Loss is my 2nd favorite Redemption album... don't get the hate/lack of love.

Spinning the new one now. So far, so good!

Offline goo-goo

Holy smokes. This is becoming my favorite Redemption album really quick. The production is perfect...the guitar playing is absolutely insane (those rhythm guitars are just stunning). I think I can now "see" (hear) the reason why Nick went with Tom. The single left me very skeptical but man, Tom's voice sounds great in this new album. It would be interesting to see how Tom pulls off the old songs. Listening to Noonday Devil (the new album version) and frankly I prefer Ray's version. New Year's Day came out of nowhere and was a total shock (a really good one..excellent interpretation). 

A previous poster mentioned that the new album sounds like "Evergrey meets Redemption". I really don't hear it (I'm a huge Evergrey fan myself). The signature Redemption sound is there (the crushing riffs, the lyrics and melodies. Even the drumming which is becoming an important part of the signature sound for the band). But Tom's voice, lyrics and melodies are like 90% of the Evergrey sound so I see where this is coming from. I just personally don't see that blend.

I don't know if Vikram played in the album but the keyboard department sounded very refreshing. That bass sound, thick and crunchy yet so clear. Seems like everybody stepped up their game in their playing and really shows in the overall execution of the album.  :hefdaddy

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
On my first spin. This is fire!   I take back what I said about Tom Englund not being a good fit.  I'll probably ALWAYS miss Ray but this album is no slouch and neither is Tom.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I guess this must of been what it was like when Blaze Bayley joined Maiden.

I totally get the sentiment.  But honestly, this is NOTHING like Blaze joining Maiden, outside of just the shock of hearing a different vocalist. 

For starters, there was a drop-off in the overall writing in Maiden with X Factor.  These Redemption songs are top notch and might just be their best yet.

Second, even though Blaze has a really nice voice, he was absolutely a step down from Bruce.  I can't say the same here.  Now that I am over the initial shock, I am LOVING what Tom brings to the table on this album.

Holy smokes. This is becoming my favorite Redemption album really quick.

I am starting to agree.  This is definitely my album of the year now. 

Here is a brief track-by-track: 

Eyes You Dare Not Meet in Dreams:  Very cool opener.  As I mentioned in my review, after the kind of spacey intro, this song really hits the ground running just like the openers on the past two albums.  I am starting to appreciate the nuance in Tom's voice.  He has an interesting knack of being able to hit some aggressive passages while sounding smooth and laid back at the same time.  The piano work in the background is stunning, and that holds true throughout other songs as well.  The short breakdown at about 4:00 is really cool.

Someone Else's Problem:  You've all heard it by now.  After hearing Nick describe it in the video Mebert posted above, I now realize that it has nothing to do with what the subject matter of the video suggests, and the song takes on such a deeper meaning once you move past thinking that it is a "breakup song."  It isn't.

Echo Chamber:  This song initially escaped my notice, but is rising fast as a favorite.  Once it gets to the main driving riff at about the minute mark, the song really settles in and is a joy.  I love the lyrical content.  It is political without overtly taking a side, and pretty biting in its commentary without being preachy.  The vocal harmonies in the chorus are just beautiful.

Impermanent:  This sounds kind of like "Redemption-by-numbers" in that is sound so familiar and typical of their style.  But that is NOT a criticism.  This song kind of shows that Nick is just really comfortable writing in a certain kind of way, and he has gotten REALLY good and doing it and translating it into a rock solid song.  Great uplifting chorus that contrasts nicely with aggressive, dark sounding verses.  More stunning background piano work, used very sparingly to great effect.

Indulge in Color:  You've heard it.  Just amazing.  The intro soft guitars with the bass counterpoints, and then Tom's melancholy sounding vocals, and then intro of the piano set an amazing mood that carries through despite the many changes throughout the song.

Little Men:  The third song that we have all heard.  Being the lead off video, the vocals threw me (and most of us), hearing someone other than Ray delivering the vocal lines.  So it took a little while for this song to grow on me.  I have to say, it's pretty solid.  I like the opening riff and the way it is used to begin the song.

And Yet:  SO BEAUTIFUL.  I really tried to pay attention to this song last night as I was driving, and I realized how few and sparing the lyrics are.  Yet, they are so hard-hitting. 

The Last of Me:  I don't have a lot to say about this song.  So far, this is the one that hasn't really grabbed me yet.  Nothing wrong or bad about it.  But in a sea of so much awesome, I just haven't had a chance to focus on this one and digest it yet.  Now that the chorus is playing as I type this, I am remembering it more.  Pretty catchy.  There is also the briefest of piano runs that is almost a ragtime type of run that sounds really cool in context of the song.

New Year's Day:  As I said in my review, I was a really big fan of the original.  And yet, I may actually like this version better.  REALLY nice cover.  I have had it stuck in my head for days.

Long Night's Journey into Day:  Fantastic album closer.  It reminds me a LOT of the closer on Snowfall, which is a REALLY positive thing, in my opinion.  I hold that song in very high regard.  This song is a great snapshot of how Nick likes to weave dark and light together, despair and hope in a song, and how he juxtaposes both moods so well.

Sorry I can't help gushing about this album.  If it sounds like I am not being objective and just being a fan boy...I guess I don't really care.  :D  Hey, I've said in the past where things don't necessarily connect for me.  The last album took me a LONG time to warm up to.  And even though I really like it now, I consider it the least in the Snowfall>Mortal Coil>Art of Loss run of albums.  But this album just hits for me on all levels.  There isn't any part of it I don't like.

Offline Qrusher14242

Holy smokes. This is becoming my favorite Redemption album really quick. The production is perfect...the guitar playing is absolutely insane (those rhythm guitars are just stunning). I think I can now "see" (hear) the reason why Nick went with Tom. The single left me very skeptical but man, Tom's voice sounds great in this new album. It would be interesting to see how Tom pulls off the old songs. Listening to Noonday Devil (the new album version) and frankly I prefer Ray's version. New Year's Day came out of nowhere and was a total shock (a really good one..excellent interpretation). 

A previous poster mentioned that the new album sounds like "Evergrey meets Redemption". I really don't hear it (I'm a huge Evergrey fan myself). The signature Redemption sound is there (the crushing riffs, the lyrics and melodies. Even the drumming which is becoming an important part of the signature sound for the band). But Tom's voice, lyrics and melodies are like 90% of the Evergrey sound so I see where this is coming from. I just personally don't see that blend.

I don't know if Vikram played in the album but the keyboard department sounded very refreshing. That bass sound, thick and crunchy yet so clear. Seems like everybody stepped up their game in their playing and really shows in the overall execution of the album.  :hefdaddy

I mean its the voice that makes me think of Evergrey. Musically, doesnt sound like em much at all. This album does sound good, production sounds amazing to me. Just weird hearing them without Ray. I'm glad they did more with keyboards this time around. One of my main issues with Art of Loss was, there were too many guitar solos and not enough keyboard like they used to have.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
This has instantly jumped into contention for AOTY.  Wow, just fantastic.  There are a few moments (particularly in Indulge in Color) that give me an Evergrey vibe, but otherwise this is Redemption through-and-through.

Insta-purchase.

I spun the new Michael Romeo album first this morning, and after listening to both ...

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Wish this was available as an autorip on Amazon. I am awaiting delivery of the record, but can't listen. Annoying.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wish this was available as an autorip on Amazon. I am awaiting delivery of the record, but can't listen. Annoying.

Yep.. not happy about that either (Michael Romeo's new disc isn't autoripped either.. grr). I'm listening to both on spotify.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I was afraid I'd have to give it a spin before I bought, and it was only due to the vocalist.

Made it only through halfway through Eyes You Dare. Holy shit! :metal :metal

Purchased before the song finished. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I told all you mofo's you had nothing to worry about with Tom.   :P

Chow down

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't stand U2 but I want to say my favorite track on the new Redemption album might be "New Year's Day"... if someone hadn't mentioned it was a cover of U2 I'd never had known.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Just gonna come out and say it: this is Redemption's best album to date and a strong contender for Album of the Year (gonna wait to see what Witherfall and Teramaze deliver later in the year though). I LOVE what Tom's brought to the band vocally and the rest of the band is on fire here. :hefdaddy

I can't wait to see how the band continues to develop musically with Tom and Vikram on future albums.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ronnibran

The album totally rocks!  I'll be in the minority here and admit first impression (after one and after several listens) is as not as strong to me as The Art of Loss was when I first got that (but I hold that album to ridiculously high standards and it is probably my favorite album of theirs). I probably love Art of Loss as much as I do on the strength of At Day's End alone to be honest (w/ Center of the Fire taking close second).

But that said, it's a great album.  There are no weak songs in my opinion.  After several listens I'm pretty sure the title track will be my favorite, which is typically what happens (longest song is my favorite).  After that, my next two favorites are probably Eyes You Dare... and Impermanent.  I like how it sounds different than other Redemption albums.  For example, this one is very heavy and progressive whereas Art of Loss seemed much more melodic.

Definitely album of the year for me, but I admit that doesn't mean much; I think I only got two other albums this year and I don't listen to either of them lol.  I love Tom's voice and am happy with him as a singer.  I own several Evergrey albums and this does not sound like an Evergrey album to me, at all.  It's Redemption through and through.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just got my album, the three songs were already kick ass and reading these reviews makes me think this might be amazing.  Looking forward to listening  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
I will say, I do kinda have some personal quibbles with The Echo Chamber. Musically it's one of the best songs on the album and I get what Nick is trying to argue with the song's lyrics and he offers some very valid points. Under normal circumstances, I think it's a potent song that is going to feel topical for a long time moving forward.

However, at the risk of diving too deep into politics where it's not supposed to be, I feel like there are times where certain groups in politics are flat-out wrong on a topic or movement and shouldn't be negotiated with at all or try to "meet in the middle." Take something like the Civil Rights movement in the 50-60's with segregation and voting rights. That's absolutely something that had a right answer to it.

I really hope I'm not being a spoilsport here, especially since I know Nick is here and reads our posts. Like I said earlier, Long Night's Journey Into Day is almost definitely my new favorite Redemption album. Nick and the band have struck gold here and even The Echo Chamber has a lot to love musically and lyrically... but I feel like it might run the risk of over-simplifying an issue? I really hope I'm not being rude about that.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Finally holding a physical copy in my hands, and glad to be listening.  I know when I get a promo, it is legit to listen.  But I still somehow feel odd about listening until I have forked over my hard-earned cash so the artist gets theirs. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I will say, I do kinda have some personal quibbles with The Echo Chamber. Musically it's one of the best songs on the album and I get what Nick is trying to argue with the song's lyrics and he offers some very valid points. Under normal circumstances, I think it's a potent song that is going to feel topical for a long time moving forward.

However, at the risk of diving too deep into politics where it's not supposed to be, I feel like there are times where certain groups in politics are flat-out wrong on a topic or movement and shouldn't be negotiated with at all or try to "meet in the middle." Take something like the Civil Rights movement in the 50-60's with segregation and voting rights. That's absolutely something that had a right answer to it.

I won't get into specifics because, as you noted, it isn't appropriate in this thread or this subforum.  But as I understand the song, it isn't about a specific issue.  And "finding common ground" isn't about agreeing or implicitly condoning something.  It is just about having mature dialog.  The "common ground" is along the lines of "let's discuss this like mature adults."  Whether there is a clear "right/wrong answer" on a given issue is irrelevant to that.

And as an aside, as a general proposition, that is a stance I happen to agree with.  No matter how "wrong" somebody might be, we should be able to discuss like mature member of the human race and show mutual respect to one another as people, even if we cannot show respect for the idea or position being put forth.  It's about love and mutual human respect.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
And when two groups are so entrenched in their own positions, feeling no need to talk or negotiate with the other side you get conflict. And conflict is not great, even when you win the opposing side doesn't just go "Oh, you were right all along!" as history has shown.

I listened through the album on Spotify and on first spin, I wasn't captured by anything too much. Full disclosure, I haven't been a big fan of the music past Fullness of Time and Origin of Ruin. Now that they have Tom, I hope they do more songs off the first album, though.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
I won't get into specifics because, as you noted, it isn't appropriate in this thread or this subforum.  But as I understand the song, it isn't about a specific issue.  And "finding common ground" isn't about agreeing or implicitly condoning something.  It is just about having mature dialog.  The "common ground" is along the lines of "let's discuss this like mature adults."  Whether there is a clear "right/wrong answer" on a given issue is irrelevant to that.

And as an aside, as a general proposition, that is a stance I happen to agree with.  No matter how "wrong" somebody might be, we should be able to discuss like mature member of the human race and show mutual respect to one another as people, even if we cannot show respect for the idea or position being put forth.  It's about love and mutual human respect.

Okay, that helps me appreciate the song more. As I said before, I do enjoy Echo Chamber for the most part, just have some personal minor quibbles over what the lyrical content seemed to say.

That said, I think a lot of the stuff that's coming to my mind where I feel like the lyrics don't quite apply are situations where one of the conflicting parties are showing a lack of love and mutual human respect. How do you create an environment where dialogue and mutual respect can happen when one of the parties are outright refusing to do that from the word "go?"

And when two groups are so entrenched in their own positions, feeling no need to talk or negotiate with the other side you get conflict. And conflict is not great, even when you win the opposing side doesn't just go "Oh, you were right all along!" as history has shown.

True! However at the same time, it's not like some of these groups are willing to talk or negotiate over the issues to begin with, thus creating the need to force something to happen with one party kicking and screaming the whole way through. These sorts of conflict have existed well before the invention of the Internet and online forums/communities that have helped create the modern day echo chambers.

It's just a really complicated issue in general.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:47:04 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
After two spins, I find that I enjoy Indulge in Color and Little Men a lot more in context than by themselves.