Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 143637 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #490 on: October 14, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »
I wish we can get a remix and/or remaster of This Mortal Coil. There's some great stuff there marred by the bad sound.

Someone on this forum noted that the sound on Mortal Coil was on purpose, Nick wanted it to sound that way.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
I wish we can get a remix and/or remaster of This Mortal Coil. There's some great stuff there marred by the bad sound.

Someone on this forum noted that the sound on Mortal Coil was on purpose, Nick wanted it to sound that way.

Yes, I read that somewhere as well but severa people (including me) have brought up the sonic issues.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2015, 09:56:18 PM »
It definitely doesn't sound anywhere near as good as Snowfall, but I had no real issues with the sound.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #493 on: October 14, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »
Initially, Ray was quite buried in the mix of TMC, but after several listens, he got louder. That doesn't make any sense, but it happened for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: October 14, 2015, 11:31:52 PM »
Initially, Ray was quite buried in the mix of TMC, but after several listens, he got louder. That doesn't make any sense, but it happened for me.

I think I might know what you are getting at.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #495 on: October 26, 2015, 11:43:20 AM »
There have been a lot amazing 3 album spans by many bands but the run of The Fullness of Time- Origins of Ruin- and Snowfall on Judgement Day is just perfect. I really don't understand how this band isn't bigger than they are. Progessive Metal at it's best.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #496 on: December 22, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »
There have been a lot amazing 3 album spans by many bands but the run of The Fullness of Time- Origins of Ruin- and Snowfall on Judgement Day is just perfect. I really don't understand how this band isn't bigger than they are. Progessive Metal at it's best.
No promotion.  And Nick seems content with that.  As good as the band is, it is clear that it is still more of less a "hobby" (for lack of a better term) for him, given that he is a full-time exec. for a HUGE corporation.  Dream Theater got lucky to be as big as they are given the lack of promotion in the early days.  That isn't typical.  I wish these guys were a lot bigger than they are, but they never really pushed for it.  And despite the continuing quality music, I think they missed their window even if they were to hypothetically want to change course and be huge now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #497 on: December 22, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »

+1

Nick's heartfelt lyrics plus Alder's perfect vocal execution (as far as emotion goes) takes these albums to a whole different level.

Offline mike099

« Reply #498 on: December 22, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »
Looking forward to the new cd :metal  2016 is going to be a great year for music

DT, Redemption, Steven Wilson, Haken and possibly Beardfish

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: December 22, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
Looking forward to the new cd :metal  2016 is going to be a great year for music

DT, Redemption, Steven Wilson, Haken and possibly Beardfish

And Fates Warning! :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: December 22, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
When is this released?  Wasn't it January or something, or maybe I'm mixed up.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #501 on: December 22, 2015, 09:20:28 PM »
Facebook says 'early 2016'.
I looked on Metal Blade's site and not a thing on the band.
Nothing under their artists either, which is a little concerning.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: December 23, 2015, 04:34:33 AM »
Probably mid 2016 then going by that.  :-[

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #503 on: December 23, 2015, 08:25:01 AM »
No promotion.  And Nick seems content with that.  As good as the band is, it is clear that it is still more of less a "hobby" (for lack of a better term) for him, given that he is a full-time exec. for a HUGE corporation.  Dream Theater got lucky to be as big as they are given the lack of promotion in the early days.  That isn't typical.  I wish these guys were a lot bigger than they are, but they never really pushed for it.  And despite the continuing quality music, I think they missed their window even if they were to hypothetically want to change course and be huge now.

This is exactly right, I believe.  My guess is Nick makes a good living at his day job and probably doesn't want to give up the lifestyle it affords him for music.  I don't blame him.  I'd love to be a professional musician or even work in a recording studio, but there was just no way for me to do it and have the kind of lifestyle I want to have.  If I had my choice, I'd be at home in my studio right now sitting in front of my new Yamaha P115 electric piano composing new music.  But that doesn't pay the bills, unfortunately. 

Getting back to the sound of This Mortal Coil, I think I remember chatting with Nick right here on this forum a while back and he mentioned that they were going for a really dark sound on that album, which is why he used the 7-string on several tracks.  I have to be honest and admit that I prefer the sound of the two that came before it, but the music on all 3 discs is equally good, I think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #504 on: December 23, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »
Getting back to the sound of This Mortal Coil, I think I remember chatting with Nick right here on this forum a while back and he mentioned that they were going for a really dark sound on that album, which is why he used the 7-string on several tracks.  I have to be honest and admit that I prefer the sound of the two that came before it, but the music on all 3 discs is equally good, I think.

I completely agree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #505 on: December 23, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
Facebook says 'early 2016'.
I looked on Metal Blade's site and not a thing on the band.
Nothing under their artists either, which is a little concerning.

My group put out an album in 2011 on the 10t label.  We were supposed to release a 2nd album through them by 2013.  I've got the music written and demoed but I haven't had any time to do it and I also need a window of opportunity for Ryo to be available to track the keys.  Anyway, the point is, when you have a band going but it's not your full-time job, it's pretty easy for everyday life to get in the way of putting out new material. 

And as far as "promotion" goes, for bands that are not working with a major label (InsideOut is not a major label) the only promotion you're likely to get from the label itself is ads on the label's website and posts around the internet on the music web sites, blogs and social media sites that cater to fans of the style of music on your album.  You might get a few banner ads on sites partnered with your label, but that's about it.  The rest is up to the band.  You ever try promoting a Progrock album?  :lol

It's like trying to sell ice cubes to Eskimos these days.  There are a million and three artists out there in the same genre you're in, many of whom have some absolutely killer-sounding albums to pimp and you're going to have to walk among that crowd like the 12-year-old kid  trying to get some attention in a room full of 18-year-old teenagers.  Nobody knows who Redemption is nor are they ever going to know who Redemption is because there isn't now, nor is there likely to ever be, an organized, professional marketing campaign to sell any of their music.

It just is what it is.  I think all we can do as fans is buy the albums when they are released, go to the shows when they come around (if they come around) and buy a shirt or a poster or something on their web site or at the merchandise stand at their show.   

Sorry, that turned into something way longer than I originally intended.  :biggrin:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #506 on: December 23, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
Promotion or no promotion, at the very least you would think that the band's name might actually appear on the label's website.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #507 on: January 14, 2016, 10:00:29 AM »
New song

I'll give it a more thorough listen later, though my first impressions are positive.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #508 on: January 14, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
New song

I'll give it a more thorough listen later, though my first impressions are positive.

Song is cool, I think it got better as it went on. The cover art for the album is surprisingly minimalist considering the art for some of their previous albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #509 on: January 14, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
Only heard the first half through my phone but I thought Ray sounded great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #510 on: January 14, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
I like.  It doesn't immediately grab me as much as some of the stuff from the past two albums, but still pretty solid.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #511 on: January 14, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Love on first listen for me :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #512 on: January 14, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
It's not too bad, but it's another Redemption song that seems to have no real chorus, with the chorus sounding just like another verse.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #513 on: January 14, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »
Good song... Good song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: January 14, 2016, 08:46:32 PM »
I find a lot of Redemption stuff tiring to listen to - often seems like there's something missing  - but this is definitely more up my alley than much of their material.  Looking forward to the release.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: January 15, 2016, 12:03:55 AM »
It's not too bad, but it's another Redemption song that seems to have no real chorus, with the chorus sounding just like another verse.
Yeah, I find the vocal melodies a little weak on this one. Ray's voice sounds great, though!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:29 AM »
Less heavy and more commercial sounding, but that's fine with me and I really like the song.  Terrific solos too.

The first section of the chorus reminds me of Between the Wheels also.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #517 on: January 15, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »
I'm actually more excited to hear this 23-minute epic.  That, and the Who cover of "Love Reign O'er Me".  Should be a great album!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #518 on: January 15, 2016, 08:23:16 AM »
Less heavy and more commercial sounding, but that's fine with me and I really like the song.  Terrific solos too.

The first section of the chorus reminds me of Between the Wheels also.

Nick has commented that this is the most accessible track on the album.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: January 16, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
I really liked this song on first listen. Loved the lyrics.  Redemption tends to have my favorite lyrics from any band.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #520 on: January 19, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
I really liked this song on first listen. Loved the lyrics.  Redemption tends to have my favorite lyrics from any band.

Yeah, they are consistently VERY good.  I have to say the same about their song titles and album titles as well.  More often than not, I won't be grabbed or pulled in simply by song titles.  But I was immediately more than intrigued by the song titles from this album.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #521 on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
Are we still waiting for the release date to be announced, or did I miss it?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #522 on: January 19, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
I've seen Feb. 26th some places, so that's what I'm going with for now, but who knows until the band says for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #523 on: January 19, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »
Feb 26th according to their record label Metal Blade

https://www.indiemerch.com/metalbladerecords/item/38485

Offline mike099

« Reply #524 on: January 19, 2016, 04:06:49 PM »
I pre ordered on Best Buy and feb 26 was the expected date.  Origins of ruin has some good songs.  For 7.99 on iTunes, may have to purchase.  Is the first cd good?