Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 143451 times)

Offline emtee

Re: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023
« Reply #1505 on: March 30, 2023, 07:17:01 AM »
Did some painting last weekend and while doing so I pulled about 15 albums from my collection. One of which was Snowfall. Just an amazing album and Ray's vocals are perfection.

Try as I might, I just can't make the same connection with the new fella.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1506 on: April 06, 2023, 09:04:01 AM »
Without Alder on vocals, I won't be getting this.  Too bad.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1507 on: April 06, 2023, 11:43:29 AM »
Eh, I think that's over simplifying things a bit.

At that point in their career, something like Train of Thought was far heavier throughout and a different approach, but is one of my favorites.

The Astonishing was also "something different", but easily my least favorite Dream Theater album, and about the only one I actively dislike. I appreciate that they tried something different, I just don't think it was done well.

But see, that's a totally fair criticism and I think is different that what Vikram is talking about.  As you know, one of the reasons I really wanted you on the mod staff from day 1 when this forum was established is that you get the difference between fair-minded critique and just bashing or giving mindless criticism.  Your opinion is clearly the former. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1508 on: April 06, 2023, 01:13:25 PM »
Try as I might, I just can't make the same connection with the new fella.

Without Alder on vocals, I won't be getting this.  Too bad.

I can appreciate a new vocalist and would certainly give them a chance, but Tom Englund just doesn't do it for me, and until they get someone else, I'm basically out on Redemption, which is too bad because they were one of my favorite post 2000 bands.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1509 on: April 06, 2023, 01:39:21 PM »
I think Tom does really well, but Ray could have added a bit more emotion to really tug at the heartstrings, especially on a the Emotional Depiction of Light.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1510 on: April 06, 2023, 01:40:14 PM »
I kind of forget about the new album, good to hear some positive remarks here.  I'll have to get on it soon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1511 on: April 06, 2023, 08:04:40 PM »
I really enjoyed Ray's time in the band.  Snowfall and This Mortal Coil were both contenders for album of the year in the years they came out, and are some of my favorite post-2000 albums.  And I wasn't really a fan of Tom's work in Evergrey (nothing against him by any means--his vocals just didn't connect with me).  But I was pleasantly surprised to really love his vocals on the last album, and I put it right up there with Snowfall as my favorite from the band. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: April 06, 2023, 08:45:40 PM »
I still need to check this out.  I'm looking for somewhere to buy it digitally but just seems hard to get.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1513 on: April 09, 2023, 01:35:57 AM »
I still need to check this out.  I'm looking for somewhere to buy it digitally but just seems hard to get.

Zdigital here now have it for a bit over $10 mate :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: April 09, 2023, 04:42:25 AM »
Oh wow, nice site mate.  Looks perfect.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1515 on: April 12, 2023, 04:30:58 PM »
So I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think, that I liked this album so much that I bought the vinyl even though I don't have a record player.  Wanted to support the band since I pay for spotify now and generally don't buy albums anymore.

Finally bought a record player (and in the meantime have been slowly starting a collection of records along the way)...  I can confirm that the two vinyl exclusive tracks are awesome (on par with the rest of the album for sure), particularly The Far Side of the Clouds.  That has the trademark Nick Van Dyk deep/awesome lyrics that I love Redemption for.  Pearl Clutchers is great too, a very high energy prog metal-fest.  The musicianship on the album (both the vinyl tracks and the album in general) is just really great.

If anyone is on the fence about this album because of the absence of Ray (but otherwise have always loved Redemption)...  Unless you just can't stand Tom's voice, you should at least check the album out.  My favorite song on it is "All This Time (and Not Enough)".  Such a great song.

Wanted to touch on "Turn it on Again" also since that seems to be the most common complaint I hear about the album lol.  I personally like it quite a bit and also like the placement of it.  Being between the two "epics" of the album creates a bit of a breather to avoid "epic fatigue".  Just my opinions, of course. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1516 on: April 12, 2023, 04:39:37 PM »
If anyone is on the fence about this album because of the absence of Ray (but otherwise have always loved Redemption)...  Unless you just can't stand Tom's voice, you should at least check the album out.  My favorite song on it is "All This Time (and Not Enough)".  Such a great song.

Well, this is me, but I also think it sounds awful, at least on Spotify anyway. Every instrument feels jammed into one spot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1517 on: April 13, 2023, 12:01:27 PM »
Wanted to touch on "Turn it on Again" also since that seems to be the most common complaint I hear about the album lol.  I personally like it quite a bit and also like the placement of it.  Being between the two "epics" of the album creates a bit of a breather to avoid "epic fatigue".  Just my opinions, of course. 

I'm not crazy about it, but it's not bad at all. And I agree on the placement. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: August 31, 2023, 06:46:34 PM »
REDEMPTION Premier "Seven Minutes From Sunset" Music Video
https://lotsofmuzik.com/redemption-premier-seven-minutes-from-sunset-music-video/
 :tup