Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 143475 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The official Redemption thread v. Long Night's Journey Into Day - July 27th
« Reply #1225 on: November 11, 2020, 09:20:36 AM »
Soooo looks like there's been some drama in the ProgPower facebook group because Nick told someone "get cancer you piece of shit"  ??? ???

:corn :corn :corn :corn

Yeah, none of those comments, or threads showed up on my Facebook page. I had no idea anything happened until I saw Glenns post on the Official ProgPower USA page. I don't know what went down, or what was said, so can't comment what I really feel about it.

Other than. Good for Nick. Musicians are humans too, and have the right to say what the hell they want. There is nothing that states, a Musician, needs to act a certain way.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1226 on: November 11, 2020, 09:21:37 AM »
Well at least Nick was finally public with his assholishness. What a fucking awful thing to say. The guy himself had cancer, why would you say that to someone else? Fuck him and his band.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1227 on: November 11, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »
So, does anyone know what was actually said and what the context was? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1228 on: November 11, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »
Well at least Nick was finally public with his assholishness. What a fucking awful thing to say. The guy himself had cancer, why would you say that to someone else? Fuck him and his band.

What did Nick say exactly? and what happened to make him say that?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: November 11, 2020, 09:27:10 AM »
Weird, I remember Nick posting on this forum and he seemed a fairly chill guy. I wonder what happened there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: November 11, 2020, 09:27:50 AM »
Nick don't care, he's too busy getting that Activision-Blizzard money
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1231 on: November 11, 2020, 09:29:21 AM »

Dude, Tell us what happened.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1232 on: November 11, 2020, 09:30:46 AM »

Yes it was an awful thing to say, especially from someone who had near terminal cancer, so the person he said that to must have done something or said something to push him to say something like that. Maybe he regrets replying that way, but anger is a natural emotion, and sometimes it's hard to control, and people say things they don't mean all the time when they're mad.

Or maybe he didn't say it at all.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: November 11, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
Yeah I'm completely lost.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: November 11, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
I asked several friends of mine who watch that group and they said the same thing. I missed it, but they're trustworthy people, and Cram echoed the same words here, too. He actually sent it in a PM to someone, he didn't post it openly. I don't know who the receiver was.

Nick has an account here and can openly contest this if he'd like, I got zero reason to make this up. I'm just telling what went down and why there was a ruckus. shrug

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1235 on: November 11, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
I asked several friends of mine who watch that group and they said the same thing. I missed it, but they're trustworthy people, and Cram echoed the same words here, too. He actually sent it in a PM to someone, he didn't post it openly. I don't know who the receiver was.

Nick has an account here and can openly contest this if he'd like, I got zero reason to make this up. shrug

So It's a heresay thing...Since he didn't actually post it.

Man, I need more context than that before I call Nick an asshole and disavow his band.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: November 11, 2020, 09:39:02 AM »
I never said you had to disavow his band or call him an asshole. Think for yourself. But it isn't "heresay" just because it wasn't public. There was an entire kerfuffle over the message. Shit don't just happen out of the blue for no reason. Was just following up with cram's post. Anyway that's all I got for my drive by infobomb, I'm out

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1237 on: November 11, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »
So, you heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: November 11, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
... heard it from another you been wishin' bad things~

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: November 11, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »

He definitely said it, the screen shot has been shared.  The context is a bit iffy to me, I haven't seen the whole chat, but it doesn't initially look good for Nick from the bits and pieces I did see.  I also heard it directly in a video chat with someone who also got shit talked to by Nick (not the same person who shared the screen shot with the quote).  I'm not really involved in it though. I know Nick has posted here before so I only bring it up so that maybe he can share his side of the story. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: November 11, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »
Sounds like someone's in need of.... redemption  :hat

[Unshaken by D'Angelo intensifies]

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1241 on: November 11, 2020, 10:15:12 AM »

He definitely said it, the screen shot has been shared.  The context is a bit iffy to me, I haven't seen the whole chat, but it doesn't initially look good for Nick from the bits and pieces I did see.  I also heard it directly in a video chat with someone who also got shit talked to by Nick (not the same person who shared the screen shot with the quote).  I'm not really involved in it though. I know Nick has posted here before so I only bring it up so that maybe he can share his side of the story. 

Everyone has a dark side. I don't prop Nick up as a saint. He's presented himself as a nice guy and makes good music. Doesn't mean he's always a nice guy. I have a very short temper and have yelled and screamed a great deal at home. No one at work would ever get that impression of me. But for someone who clearly pissed Nick off enough for him to say that, and then only posts "the good bits" clearly has some shady intentions. Context or not, the dude is trying to make him look bad.

And if it turns out Nick is just an asshole, oh well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: November 11, 2020, 10:24:18 AM »
Oh for sure, I've said things I regret before.  We all have. 

Yeah, none of those comments, or threads showed up on my Facebook page. I had no idea anything happened until I saw Glenns post on the Official ProgPower USA page. I don't know what went down, or what was said, so can't comment what I really feel about it.

I saw Glenns post and had no idea what that was in reference to so I went to https://www.facebook.com/groups/1257920167711993 and found the post that had this discussion going on.  The group says it's public so maybe anyone can see this.  The screen shots are there, but it seems the full conversation is shared privately between some of those people so I can't really comment too much more.

Not sure what this has to do with anything?  Unless you mean since he has a solid job, he can afford to lose the Redemption fan base?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1243 on: November 11, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »
So they were arguing about racism it seems. Speculating, but it seems Nick was called out for saying some questionable things, and it escalated.

I guess Mike LePond is an asshole too. Really, who cares? Jon Schaffer is also an asshole, but that's part of his charm.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: November 11, 2020, 10:33:44 AM »
It's just a snarky comment about how Nick is loaded and even if he faced a big backlash from fans over this it's a drop in the bucket compared to his day job and it probably doesn't bother him much as a result, particularly because he's good friends with Glenn and co. at the fest. Also because Activision-Blizzard is a scumbag company that I will call out all day every day. So, you're right! Doesn't have to do much with anything else.

Nick's also said some caustic shit about liberals and democrats on Facebook in recent years which he quickly deletes or the thread gets deleted because it goes tits up immediately, so

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: November 11, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »
So they were arguing about racism it seems. Speculating, but it seems Nick was called out for saying some questionable things, and it escalated.

I guess Mike LePond is an asshole too. Really, who cares? Jon Schaffer is also an asshole, but that's part of his charm.

It's one thing to be an asshole, it's another to directly be an asshole to your fanbase.  It's also one thing to have personal views that clash, but it's another thing to disrespect people for their views. 

I've seen way too many Trump supporting musicians get shit just because they support Trump.  That bothers me, but if someone said they supported Trump for racial reasons, then getting shit wouldn't bother me.  I'm not sure any of that is involved here, but just saying, being an asshole in and of itself is not a big deal for me, but the circumstances could make it a problem.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: November 11, 2020, 02:01:51 PM »
 :lol who gives a shit.  Nick has been great on here and I wished he posted more.  He's human and someone pissed him off, deal with it.  I find the comment interesting and honestly considering he had cancer, somewhat amusing. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: November 11, 2020, 02:06:40 PM »
Yeah I couldn't disagree more with that. That's pretty callous

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: November 11, 2020, 02:07:51 PM »
:lol who gives a shit. 

??? A lot of people do quite clearly. And let's be honest here too, that group of people are the ones who have been supportive of the band. 

My friend and I always joke that Bruce Dickinson probably wouldn't like us on a personal level and that's fine, but if he came up to me and told me he wished I got cancer.  I'd be pretty fucking upset.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: November 11, 2020, 02:10:01 PM »
Yeah I couldn't disagree more with that. That's pretty callous

I don't find the comment amusing, just the context behind the individual having cancer.  Him wishing that on someone else is wild it makes me chuckle.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: November 11, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »
:lol who gives a shit. 

??? A lot of people do quite clearly. And let's be honest here too, that group of people are the ones who have been supportive of the band. 

My friend and I always joke that Bruce Dickinson probably wouldn't like us on a personal level and that's fine, but if he came up to me and told me he wished I got cancer.  I'd be pretty fucking upset.

Someone must have fucked him off to say that.  I feel he needs to be given benefit of the doubt here.

Honestly, we all get angry and say shit when people piss us off.  He's no different in that regard to any of us.  While I have never said that kind of comment, I've been known to tell people to fuck off plenty of times.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: November 11, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
Oh, I tell people to fuck off on the reg especially while driving  :lol but that's not personal.  I do agree, we don't know enough about the specific context but it seems he was not to nice to a few people, one of which I personally spoke to over the weekend.  I didn't think too much of it then but then seeing the other people having the same issue, well, it seems to be more than a one off heated moment.

In the end, I really hate facebook culture.  I think that's a huge part of the problem.  Someone expresses an opinion and if you don't agree then things get out of hand really fast. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: November 11, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »
Oh, I tell people to fuck off on the reg especially while driving  :lol but that's not personal.  I do agree, we don't know enough about the specific context but it seems he was not to nice to a few people, one of which I personally spoke to over the weekend.  I didn't think too much of it then but then seeing the other people having the same issue, well, it seems to be more than a one off heated moment.

In the end, I really hate facebook culture.  I think that's a huge part of the problem.  Someone expresses an opinion and if you don't agree then things get out of hand really fast.

If for some reason it's a repeated thing fair enough I guess but yeah I stay off Facebook because of all this sort of shit.

There surely has to be more behind it however one would think.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: November 11, 2020, 02:32:43 PM »

If for some reason it's a repeated thing fair enough I guess but yeah I stay off Facebook because of all this sort of shit.

This is really why I even brought it up here, was hoping Nick could shed some light on the situation.  I wouldn't expect him to do that on facebook where the hounds are let loose. I feel DTF has always been a more open space for honest discussion.  I could see why he won't though. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: November 11, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »
He hasn't posted here in a while.  I could see why he wouldn't though.  He may feel he doesn't need justify his reasons and that's fine with me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1255 on: November 11, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
Personally, I think it's pretty shifty to publicly air private conversations.  I mean, you don't see me posting my PMs with Stadler!

I kid... he ignores my PMs.

Still kidding...we have a good rapport (seriously!)

My beef with Nick is how he all but ignored the Kickstarters for the Blu Ray.  I will not likely ever crowdfund a band ever agin because of how they ran that campaign.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1256 on: November 11, 2020, 03:31:56 PM »

My beef with Nick is how he all but ignored the Kickstarters for the Blu Ray.  I will not likely ever crowdfund a band ever agin because of how they ran that campaign.

Not sure why you feel we got ignored (I did the Kickstarter). I think the issue was that the platform didn't send updates even though the updates were posted at the KS page. Granted, he could have followed with emails or something, but the way I handled was visiting the page once a week. The last update was for people who wanted to the whole band to sign it to send him a note and I send him a note. I haven't received the BR so I'm assuming I'll be getting one signed by the whole band. (I hope LOL). 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1257 on: November 11, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »

Not sure why you feel we got ignored (I did the Kickstarter). I think the issue was that the platform didn't send updates even though the updates were posted at the KS page. Granted, he could have followed with emails or something, but the way I handled was visiting the page once a week. The last update was for people who wanted to the whole band to sign it to send him a note and I send him a note. I haven't received the BR so I'm assuming I'll be getting one signed by the whole band. (I hope LOL).

He routinely went months without any communication / update, and then as soon as they had the AFM deal, all the focus was there.  People who bought from AFM or wherever in the market had the release a full month before most backers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #1258 on: November 11, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »

This is my main thought on this. American political culture has really gone to a very bad place over the last few years, and the format and culture of social media probably makes it worse.

I think a lot of people who were once decent and clear-minded have completely lost their heads in recent years. I've definitely seen it happen. I have my own views of why, but I don't really want to go there. I just think it's a regrettable trend that has affected a lot of people and seems to be what's at play here.

I also think we're heading for a moment when at least some musicians and other celebrities start to rethink the more personal relationships with their fans that they've been able to cultivate online. I think that's something that seems like a nice idea, but leads to problems when there are personal disagreements and clashes, as there inevitably are. The more of yourself you put out there, the more people are going to find to object to, which isn't good for business and isn't good for stress-free living. That's true even if you're a really calm, level-headed person, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1259 on: November 11, 2020, 05:47:18 PM »

This is really why I even brought it up here, was hoping Nick could shed some light on the situation.  I wouldn't expect him to do that on facebook where the hounds are let loose. I feel DTF has always been a more open space for honest discussion.  I could see why he won't though.

What makes you think he will post and shed light about a situation that has nothing to do with anything to this Board? If he does, I guarantee, based off of the comments here, he will be getting the same, but in a nicer way of words, treatment.

I read the situation, and it bugs the fuck out of me when people post things the way that guy did. First he posts a vague post about "Snowflake Musicians", and then posts a screenshot, that doesn't show anything related to the context of the conversation, we are just supposed to take their word for it (NO, that's not how this works). If he wanted to really Share his damning info, he would've posted exactly what Nick said to cause the poster to post that thread.

The OP basically called himself an Asshole as well, so there is that. Just 2 Assholes going at it.

This is how I see it...

A Musician is also a Human Being, meaning, a musician also has the rights as all the "Common people". They are not GODS. Musicians are not some special type of people, no one is special, This is the very definition of Celebrity Worship and Idolism. Why do people get upset when their Idols or People they look up to, do not act how they expect. That is called putting on a PERSONA, ALL FAMOUS people do this. Once, they walk out that door, they put on their face, sometimes they live that Face, and no one has seen their true face.

Facebook is people connecting with people, and people post their Thoughts, Things that are relevant to them and how they as a person Thinks and Feels. It reveals whom you are, your IDENTITY. Their are vast ways of thoughts and things, that some tend to collide with each other, that's normal as not everyone can be a positive, some have to be negative to start the charge. If you connect with someone, that's cool, because you share similarities. If not, that's fine too, you don't have to connect with that person, and just let them live.

You can EXPECT and ASSUME all you want, but that won't change a person from being who they are, that's their IDENTITY. If you want to change someone, Facebook IS NOT the way to do that, that's why we have Therapists and Psychologists.