Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142156 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The official Redemption thread v. Long Night's Journey Into Day - July 27th
« Reply #1050 on: August 15, 2018, 09:41:03 AM »
Respectfully, after many repeated listens, I'm not a big fan of the record. I think Nick and co. delivered a solid album musically, but I don't hear any real evolution. And maybe that was by design since they now have a new singer in Tom (which would make sense). As for Tom, I have really tried, and will continue to listen here and there, but he sounds like a less emotional, and less dynamic Ray Alder on this record. Again, maybe him singing in the manner he is, is by design, to set the template for the band as it moves forward. But as much as I wish I was as excited as those who really are loving this, I just don't like it as much. And Nick, since you're monitoring the thread slightly -- by no means do I mean any offense. I just wanted to provide honest, thoughtful feedback. Still hoping for another chance to see you guys live (I was fortunate enough to see you all open for Dream Theater in 2007 in Berkeley).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1051 on: August 15, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
That's an interesting take, because I hear the opposite, on both the musical and vocal side.  I mean, it still definitely sounds like Redemption, without question.  But I hear a serious evolution on the musical side, and I hear more vocal dynamics than I felt Ray brought, except maybe on Snowfall.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1052 on: August 15, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
You're a lost cause.  Next thing you know, you'll be picketing outside of that Redemption show with a sign that says "No Ray, No Redemption."    :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1053 on: August 15, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
You're a lost cause.  Next thing you know, you'll be picketing outside of that Redemption show with a sign that says "No Ray, No Redemption."    :lol

Raydemption.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: August 15, 2018, 10:43:11 AM »
That's an interesting take, because I hear the opposite, on both the musical and vocal side.  I mean, it still definitely sounds like Redemption, without question.  But I hear a serious evolution on the musical side, and I hear more vocal dynamics than I felt Ray brought, except maybe on Snowfall.

Hahahahaha. Beauty of music. Snowfall is the band's high-water mark, IMO.

:rollin

No chance. lol. Besides, I saw too many morons doing that for other bands, and respect Ray and Tom (and Nick) too much.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1055 on: August 15, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »

The beauty of music, indeed. To me, Snowfall is a lot weaker than the first three albums and anything since doesn't touch any of the first three.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: August 15, 2018, 01:20:53 PM »

The beauty of music, indeed. To me, Snowfall is a lot weaker than the first three albums and anything since doesn't touch any of the first three.

:rollin

Awesome. Let's settle this, over a pint and a laugh.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1057 on: August 15, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
Music to my ears! :lol

Offline nvandyk1

« Reply #1058 on: August 15, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »
Hi everybody. :)

1. Samsara, no offense taken whatsoever -- thanks for giving it the spins and sharing your thoughts.

2. IMO, Snowfall is our most consistent record with Ray. Each has their high points. I think Art is somewhat underrated here but then what do I know, I like the music or I wouldn't have released it. ;)

3. In reading the thread, I'm sure some of you observe...there's just no pleasing everybody. Too little change, too much change, too much like Ray, not enough like Ray, not enough like Tom, too much like Evergrey, not enough like Evergrey, etc. etc.  And somewhere in the middle of that venn diagram there are people that like it. I'm gratified for all opinions and the open-mindedness of those who end up not loving it; I'm particularly gratified for the bullseye of those that do. :)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1059 on: August 15, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »
Cassy as always.

If I may, do you guys plan on performing any songs from the first album, especially Desperation and Something Wicked?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1060 on: August 15, 2018, 03:34:32 PM »
Snowfall will always be special to me.  The keyboards are great and the album feels natural with all instruments heard seperatly, but together.

Does anyone know how the ex lead guitar player is doing.  I seem to remember he had a stroke and had a long recovery ahead.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1061 on: August 15, 2018, 10:24:49 PM »
So, again, it's not that it's not Ray. That doesn't bother me a bit. I have always thought, while Ray conveyed the emotion in Nick's lyrics, that sonically, I never felt he was strong enough.
I've never cared for Evergrey. Or their vocalist. I love the new album, and am getting used to the vocals, but it'll never be a selling point of the album to me. But it has nothing to do with Ray. Hey, Ronnie James Dio ain't walking through that door. I get it.

My personal fave is This Mortal Coil. I love everything about it. I remember driving there nowhere'sville Wyoming a couple of summers ago on the way back to Denver listening to it, and it was so moving.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1062 on: August 15, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »
For me, I thought Ray was a perfect fit and he did a great job bringing the emotion and didn't need to be any rougher than he was.  I also think Tom could be, and probably will be, a great fit as well.  I just want to hear him less contained/restrained without worrying about sounding like Evergrey.  The music is 100% Redemption so I really don't think it will.  Having said that, I'm on board with the new lineup, the new album is good, and I'm very much looking forward to see them live.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
Just stumbled across this beautiful cover version of Dream Theater's "These Walls" by Redemption's new keyboardist Vikram Shankar.  Gives me chills! 

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUlKrFiOkJQ
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1064 on: August 16, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »
My personal fave is This Mortal Coil. I love everything about it. I remember driving there nowhere'sville Wyoming a couple of summers ago on the way back to Denver listening to it, and it was so moving.

Interesting that you mention that album.  When it came out, I was doing a LOT of work for the clients I mentioned to you the other day that are out near where you guys were staying.  So I drove that road a LOT with that album cranked up loud.  A lot of my best memories of driving that route involve This Mortal Coil, including a few times crying as I belted out the words of Departure of a Pale Horse while thinking about losing my dad to cancer--an event that happened at a hospital that is, coincidentally, also along that route.

Just stumbled across this beautiful cover version of Dream Theater's "These Walls" by Redemption's new keyboardist Vikram Shankar.  Gives me chills! 

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUlKrFiOkJQ

That is REALLY cool!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1065 on: August 16, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »
Nice, Bosk. I think I know what I'm going to spin for our ride along the coast when we head up north tomorrow.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1066 on: August 21, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
Wow, so, I heard The Art of Loss last night. I was looking at Metal Archives and it appears that I am drawn more to Redemption's later albums than the early stuff, although I still plan to hear the self-titled and The Origins of Ruin eventually.

Art of Loss might be my favorite yet, whether it's because I'm acclimating to their sound or it's simply the most appealing, but it's great. It has the speed and punch that I like, the guitar solos and riffs use patterns and licks I just find really appealing. The lead guitar especially loves to end on these powerful wailing notes that are so sweet to my ear - I hear that in the track Leviathan Rising from Snowfall, and it's something I'm really digging about this band, those shreddy moments with the soaring final note.

I also think I like Ray's singing on this album the most. There are these moments of happiness and beauty which I appreciate in the midst of all the heavy metal. The Who cover is just fantastic, too. :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1067 on: August 21, 2018, 06:42:59 PM »
Say Something is a tearjerker fir me. Beautiful duet!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1068 on: August 22, 2018, 02:10:08 AM »
I've been listening to the Long Night's Journey into Day a lot lately and it's definitely my AOTY so far. Can't believe I'll say this, given how much I love Ray and Snowfall album, the latest might even be my favorite Redemption album :hefdaddy I find it enjoyable enough to listen to it twice a day (and I never do that) and it's sounds so fresh to my ears.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: August 22, 2018, 04:25:44 AM »
Wow, so, I heard The Art of Loss last night. I was looking at Metal Archives and it appears that I am drawn more to Redemption's later albums than the early stuff, although I still plan to hear the self-titled and The Origins of Ruin eventually.

Art of Loss might be my favorite yet, whether it's because I'm acclimating to their sound or it's simply the most appealing, but it's great. It has the speed and punch that I like, the guitar solos and riffs use patterns and licks I just find really appealing. The lead guitar especially loves to end on these powerful wailing notes that are so sweet to my ear - I hear that in the track Leviathan Rising from Snowfall, and it's something I'm really digging about this band, those shreddy moments with the soaring final note.

I also think I like Ray's singing on this album the most. There are these moments of happiness and beauty which I appreciate in the midst of all the heavy metal. The Who cover is just fantastic, too. :2metal:

Always love seeing love for Art of Loss. Certainly one of my favorites.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: August 22, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
I'm enjoying the hell out of this album. Someone Else's Problem and the chorus of Impermanent have been stuck in my head for these last few days. I'm pretty sure this is my album of the year so far, and I can see it growing even more.

Of course, there's some tough competition ahead, with Seventh Wonder, Haken and Riverside also releasing their new work this year, but still, this album is very impressive.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: August 22, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »
I think I said Someone Else's Problem was maybe my least favorite of the three released tracks before the album release.  I'm not so sure about that anymore, that song really kicks ass.  The whole album does.  It's tough to decide what I like the most, but I can see why they chose to make the music video for that song which I initially questioned.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1072 on: August 22, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
I think I said Someone Else's Problem was maybe my least favorite of the three released tracks before the album release.  I'm not so sure about that anymore, that song really kicks ass.  The whole album does.  It's tough to decide what I like the most, but I can see why they chose to make the music video for that song which I initially questioned.

Yeah, I was kind of in that boat too (although Little Men, being the first song I heard, and thus having the distinction of being the song that imparted the shock value of Not-Ray on vocals, I think I probably would have initially said that that song was my least favorite at the time).  But once I listened more, I really found myself truly loving every single song.  The only one that hasn't REALLY completely hit yet for me is The Last of Me.  And it isn't an issue with the song itself.  It is more just the still-newness of the album and that song's placement, being so late on the album.  New Year's Day doesn't suffer from that because it is a cover of a song I already knew intimately and loved intensely.  The title song doesn't suffer from that because it is the token "epic album closer," so it kind of automatically carried a built-in incentive to pay attention.  Add to that the parallels with Snowfall's closer.  The Last of Me is just the unfortunate late-in-the-lineup song that one can have a tendency to overlook simply because of its placement.  But, inevitably, when I am listening to the album, and it gets to the chorus, my ears perk up, and I'm like "oh, yeah--this is THAT song.  Yeah, I like this."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
I agree, bosk. And Yet has the advantage of being very different from the rest of the songs, while The Last of Me suffers from the placement a bit, I don't remember much about this song after ~8 listens. But I definitely should pay more attention to it, I don't remember disliking anything on this album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1074 on: August 22, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
Sonic Perspectives posted a great interview with Nick that offers a lot of insight into the new album, the Ray/Tom situation, and Tom and Vikram's involvement going forward, among other things. Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KooPWPCEJM

Just in case it got lost or overlooked by some, I just want to reiterate that I think listening to this interview should be considered mandatory for Redemption fans.  LOTS of cool insight into a lot of things. 

I really hope we get some tour dates in my area that my schedule will permit.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1075 on: August 22, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »
Sonic Perspectives posted a great interview with Nick that offers a lot of insight into the new album, the Ray/Tom situation, and Tom and Vikram's involvement going forward, among other things. Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KooPWPCEJM

Just in case it got lost or overlooked by some, I just want to reiterate that I think listening to this interview should be considered mandatory for Redemption fans.  LOTS of cool insight into a lot of things. 

I really hope we get some tour dates in my area that my schedule will permit.
I was avoiding this because I think it's the same person that did an interview with Michael Romeo that was, maybe not my thing interview-wise.  But maybe I should give it a listen anyway.

I've listened to the new album quite a few times now and still want something "more" from Tom, but am still on board anyway.  I'd say that Little Men is probably my least favorite track, which is a good thing for me because it went up from there.

Offline nvandyk1

« Reply #1076 on: August 29, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »
Cassy as always.

If I may, do you guys plan on performing any songs from the first album, especially Desperation and Something Wicked?

Apologies for not responding early, Abydos.

I think we have probably retired that record for the foreseeable future. Never say never, of course.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: September 05, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
Hey, everyone.  I recently did a Q&A with Redemption's new keyboardist Vikram Shankar.  Enjoy!

Link: Interview with Vikram Shankar (September 2018)

Vikram Shankar

Date: September 2018

Vikram Shankar is the keyboardist for the progressive metal band Redemption, which he joined earlier this year, and appears on the band's seventh studio album Long Night's Journey Into Day.  He is also the keyboardist for the progressive rock band Lux Terminus, which recently released their debut album The Courage to Be, and is a member of the band Our Destiny.  In addition, Shankar is known for having posted dozens of cover songs online for progressive rock/metal acts including Anathema, Evergrey and Dream Theater.

Q: For starters, welcome to Redemption!  For fans who aren't familiar with you or your work, where are you from and how would you describe yourself as an artist/musician?

VS: Thank you!  I am a keyboardist and producer from Cleveland, Ohio.  You might know me for my piano covers, as I have been doing piano covers of prog, metal and other artists for many years prior to joining Redemption and launching my own bands.  I play in the progressive rock trio Lux Terminus, symphonic metal band Threads of Fate, and some others that haven't been unveiled yet.  Connecting with other people and uplifting through music is my favorite thing in the world, and I'm overjoyed to have the opportunity to do so with the talented folks in Redemption!

Q: When did you first start playing piano/keyboard and who introduced you to the instrument?  Where did you study music and what were some of your early musical influences?

VS: I first started seriously playing when I was around 6 or 7, although I dabbled on my family's cheap keyboard before then.  I began my serious studies thanks to a family friend, who observed that I had perfect pitch and encouraged my family to invest in a proper piano and lessons.  I studied for 10 years at the Cleveland Institute of Music, after which I went to Oberlin Conservatory and got my degree in music composition for film.  Early on, I was influenced exclusively by classical music (especially Mussorgsky, Liszt, Debussy and Beethoven), but my world exploded in middle school with my discovery of, well, everything that isn't classical music!  Some of my biggest formative influences include Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Rush, Dream Theater, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, Nightwish, Howard Shore, Pendulum, and Anathema.

Q: How did you become introduced to the guys in Redemption?  How long had you been a fan of the band before joining them and what were some of your favorite songs/albums by the band?

VS: I had been a fan of Redemption for many years, ever since I first heard Snowfall on Judgment Day, which was my favorite album by the band until Long Night's Journey into Day.  Given that I operate in the Progpower USA orbit, I suppose Nick van Dyk and I would have run into each other eventually, but the process was expedited by Tom Englund, with whom I have become good friends with over the course of a couple years.  Tom showed my work to Nick, and is therefore ultimately responsible for me joining the band.  Nick and I hit it off terrifically in our first meetings – we have similar musical sensibilities, but also gel really well together as friends.  We hung out at Progpower USA 2017 and then the next month in LA, when I met the rest of the band and was formally welcomed into the fold.  It's been nothing but a thrill ever since!

Q: What was the extent of your involvement in the writing/recording process for Long Night's Journey Into Day?  Any contributions you're most proud of?

VS: I wasn't really supposed to be on the new record at all – I was only able to slide in there at the last minute because of luck and happenstance, as the record was already sent out for mixing.  It was certainly an eleventh-hour situation, and the sum total of my contribution really is textures and "ear candy," but I'm honored to be on the record at all, because I really think it's an outstanding piece of work and I'm thrilled by how positively people have been reacting to it.

Q: What should Redemption fans expect from you in the band’s future music?  Is there anything specific you hope to bring to the band's sound?

VS: What I would really love to achieve, working on our next record, is take the Redemption sound to the next level – whatever the heck that means!  We'll only find out as we do it, I suspect. :)  For me, the defining characteristic of Redemption is Nick's compositional voice, and both Tom and I have agreed that the "soul" of Redemption has to come from Nick.  It's also important that Tom doesn't turn Redemption into Evergrey 2.0, or that I turn Redemption into Lux Terminus 2.0.  That being said, Tom has a remarkable vocal sensibility, and I certainly write and play keyboard parts in a particular way.  All of us are extremely excited to be writing and recording together, and I'm especially excited to see how exactly the injection of fresh perspective enhances the flavor of the music.

Q: What's your opinion of the keyboard work on Redemption's past albums by Nick van Dyk and Greg Hosharian?  Any favorite solos/sections?

VS: I have always enjoyed the keyboard work on past Redemption albums, both by Nick himself (whose compositional voice on the instrument is killer) and by Greg, who is of course a monster player and whose work on Snowfall is really outstanding!  My favorite element of Redemption's keyboard work, as performed by Nick and by Greg, is the emphasis on piano textures – the sound of piano over heavy guitar riffing is a fairly particular flavor that I find really appealing!  Lux Terminus is almost entirely piano driven, as is most of what I do, so I suppose Redemption is quite a natural fit for me as a keyboardist in that respect.

Q: With multiple new members in the band now, what's the camaraderie and energy been like so far?

VS: The chemistry has been really incredible thus far!  I don't take that for granted at all, because the first Redemption album came out when I was just 7 years old (now, there's a scary thought…), so really, I wouldn't have been surprised if I came into the fold and was treated as "the new guy."  But it totally hasn't been that way – it's wonderful and truly flattering to be accepted into the family with such open arms and such a degree of mutual respect.  Every time we have hung out together as a band has been a wonderful time, and we have gelled together really, really well I think. We're stoked to take that camaraderie and chemistry to the stage!

Q: How exciting/meaningful is it to make your debut appearance with the band at ProgPower USA?

VS: Playing Progpower is a dream come true!  The festival has always been a sort of mecca for me as a fan of progressive and melodic metal music, and I've been dreaming of playing the festival since even before 2014 (which was my first year attending as a fan).  Doing so as a co-headliner, and as part of such a killer band, on stage with one of my favorite singers of all time, is truly going to be a trip.

Q: How have the rehearsals been going?

VS: Given that it's no easy feat to learn and rehearse Redemption material, the rehearsals have been going quite smoothly!  From the very first time I played with the guys, there has been a genuine chemistry and electricity in the room that has been really wonderful to be a part of.  There's a certain joyous spirit to playing exhilarating progressive music and locking eyes with another band member as you nail some crazy meter changes or a unison run, and it’s been getting better and better, and more and more fun, every time we play together.

Q: Do you plan to perform Redemption's keyboard parts exactly as they sound on the studio albums or do you plan to put your own spin on them?

VS: I've been encouraged by Nick to put my own spin on the way I play the older material – although to me, some material is sacred and I don't plan on changing it.  That being said, I play keyboards in a manner particular to myself (as every musician does), and I'm grateful that I'm being encouraged to express that within the framework of these legendary songs.  It's going to be a blast!

Q: Was it hard to learn some of the band's older songs?  What was your approach?

VS: Although Redemption's music can hardly be described as a walk in the park to learn, I wouldn't say that it’s been an overly challenging process for me personally.  I typically learn new music by listening to it a ton, getting it in my head – not just the notes and harmonies but the vibe and most importantly paying close attention to, and internalizing, how each song makes me feel so I can express that through my playing.  Then it's a matter of practice, keyboard programming and sound design, and all that.  The process has been fairly smooth, perhaps facilitated by the fact that I've been familiar with much of the band's output over time and the internalization process hasn't been too arduous.

Q: Let's talk about one of your other bands: Lux Terminus.  You guys have a new album out called The Courage to Be, which is your debut record.  What can fans expect?

VS: Lux Terminus is a "passion project" for me, if you will – a progressive rock trio comprised of keyboards, bass and drums.  Our style sits somewhere between prog rock and jazz fusion with further influence from djent/metal, symphonic music, and electronic – and we do it all without a full-time guitarist or vocalist!  (We do have guest appearances on our record by Anneke van Giersbergen, Timo Somers and Raphael Weinroth-Browne to flesh things out where appropriate.)  The music is driven mainly by piano, it's quite dynamic, conceptually driven, and extremely stylistically diverse.  I'm deeply proud of The Courage to Be, and if anyone reading this wants to really get inside my head as a musician and songwriter, I think it's a pretty good place to start!

Q: How did you and the other band members, Matthew Kerschner (drums) and Brian Craft (bass), meet?

VS: Matt and Brian were the rhythm section of the first "real" band I joined, Gravity.  Gravity were to some degree local legends in Cleveland as far as prog goes, and I played some cool shows with them like opening for Dream Theater on the Dramatic Turn of Events tour stop in Cleveland.  Eventually, the band went on hiatus, and after a few years of not really having any bands, I decided to hit up Matt and Brian to play, of all things, cocktail jazz with me.  Our ambitions were really no greater than perhaps making some fast cash playing restaurants.  But when I have an ensemble of talented players at my disposal, I write for them, and the original music I was writing was definitely progressive rock, with various other influences littered throughout.  We figured we would just ride the wave of what I was writing and see where it took us, and we're all pretty stoked with how things came out!

Q: Anneke van Giersbergen was outstanding on the song, "Epilogue: Fly," which you guys released a lyric video for this summer prior to the album's release.  How was it to work with her?

VS: Working with Anneke was a dream for me, as she is quite literally my favorite vocalist ever and her voice and music have been hugely important to me for years.  I'm both shocked and deeply thankful that she was receptive to my offer to do a song together!  What is still striking to me, every time I listen to the track, is how much she shaped the song and made it her own by singing it – phrasing nuances, embellishments, and just general character…  I can honestly say that her performance on the song is one of my favorite vocal performances ever, as a fan of hers, although of course I know I'm as biased as can be!  I can't say enough good things about her as a singer, as an artist, and as a person.

Q: What's next for Lux Terminus?  Any possible tour dates?

VS: Lux Terminus would love to hit the road to support The Courage to Be!  Everyone knows touring is a massive endeavor, and all of us in LT are enormously busy with our own lives, but it would be great fun to play this material out, as it already has been during the couple shows we've played together thus far.  I would love to hit the prog festival circuit as well, and I think that's probably more likely at least in the short term!  Aside from that, we'll be working on our follow-up record, and trying to build on what we've accomplished, which I am tremendously excited for.

Q: Can you tell about your other band: Our Destiny? 

VS: Our Destiny is a project that I have had for years with my girlfriend and gifted vocalist, Lauren Nolan – it's actually how I met and got to know her!  We have existed for many years, making piano and vocals (and sometimes other instrumentation) covers of our favorite songs (Anathema, Nightwish, and many more).  However, it's high time we start releasing some original music, which we plan to do this year.  Several songs are already in the bag and it's extremely exciting and rewarding for me to make this kind of uplifting yet deeply emotional music.  It makes for a nice contrast to a not-at-all-uplifting, deeply emotional project that should hopefully be announced soon!

Q: Getting back to Redemption, I heard Nick van Dyk mention in an interview that Tom Englund had been a fan of a cover version you had done of Evergrey's "Distance," which I also loved by the way.  What inspired that cover?

VS: Thank you!  Tom himself inspired that cover, actually.  He and I first met in person during Evergrey's 2017 U.S. tour, and the morning of the show I recorded a quick one-minute version of "Distance" and posted it on social media.  They used that audio as the "intro tape to the intro tape" of their live show that night, which was pretty neat!  Some time after the fact, Tom told me I should make a piano arrangement of the full song – and a "request" from Tom freaking Englund is not something one takes lightly! 

Q: What other progressive metal bands have you covered?  Do you have any cover songs that you're most proud of?

VS: I've covered quite a lot of stuff in my time, and some of it I am still genuinely very proud of.  (Some of it doesn't age quite as well, as my first piano covers date back to when I was 14 or 15 years old, but that's what growing and developing as a player is all about!)  Some of my absolute favorites I've done include: all the Anathema arrangements I've done (massive fanboy alert: I've actually done probably more than 10 Anathema covers, including album medleys of Distant Satellites and The Optimist that I am quite proud of, although my favorite I've done of theirs is "Lightning Song" probably), the aforementioned "Distance" arrangement, my medley of Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend, "On a Tuesday" by Pain of Salvation, "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Nightwish, and "Lune" and "The Way the News Goes" by Periphery.  It's not progressive metal, but it was great fun to reinvent "That Song" by Amaranthe into a jazzy, bluesy solo piano performance as well!

Q: I've heard your covers of various Dream Theater songs on YouTube, and I particularly loved your take on "These Walls" and "The Count of Tuscany."  How has their music influenced you and do you have any favorite Dream Theater albums/songs/solos?

VS: Thank you so much!  Dream Theater is as important to me as any band could ever be, as they are arguably THE reason I entered the wild and wonderful world of metal (not just progressive metal!) in the first place.  Alongside Nightwish, they really opened my eyes to what was possible in a heavy context, and Dream Theater in particular showed me that it is possible to tap into the visceral power of metal while exhibiting a dazzling level of intricacy and virtuosity that I hadn't really encountered since my many years studying classical music.  My favorite Dream Theater track will always be "Octavarium," as it was the song that I first fell in love with (and to date it is one of my favorite compositions in modern music), but I truly enjoy the vast majority of what they have done, from the "classics" in the 90s all the way up to the Mangini-era albums, which I think are quite great in their own right.

Q: One of my other websites is The Mooreatorium, an unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI).  As a keyboardist what are your thoughts on the keyboard work of Dream Theater's three legendary keyboardists (Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian and Jordan Rudess) and what they each brought to the band's sound?

VS: I'll have to check out The Mooreatorium – super cool stuff!  I feel the same way about Dream Theater’s keyboardists that I do about Nightwish's singers – the band really is blessed to have so much consistently wonderful yet extremely diverse talent throughout the years!  Moore's playing of course has a memorable quality that really shines through, and many of his keyboard lines and lead parts are truly iconic in the progressive metal canon.  He has a way of setting a profound mood through what may seem like simple textures that is really remarkable as well.  I love Sherinian's sense of aggression in his playing, although I think his genius really shines more in the context of something like Planet X, whose records I am a huge fan of.  Rudess was one of my earliest and biggest inspirations as a keyboard player, and even to this day he never fails to impress me.  I think some fans criticize him as being soulless and mechanical, and I suppose given his technical proficiency I can understand why they might perceive his playing as such, but to me Rudess's playing is the exact opposite of that.  To me there is so much pure joy in his playing – nothing is forced, nothing is contrived, this is just who he is, in all of his nerdy brilliance.  He simply can't help but be a next-level musician, and I personally love that he doesn't curtail who he is and lets it rip.  (He also can play extremely beautifully and emotively, as his piano solo album Notes on a Dream illustrates.)  Also, it's worth noting his talent as a composer and improviser – every single thing that guy plays sounds album-ready to me, even when he's just noodling around on a Facebook live stream or improvising to test a piece of gear.  I guess you can probably tell from all this who my favorite Dream Theater keyboard player is J but I do want to emphasize that all three are monstrous talents, and all have been inspirational to me during my journey!

Q: What's next for Redemption after the ProgPower USA show?

VS: We have, of course, the headline show at the Whiskey in Los Angeles, which is going to be great fun!  We'll be hoping to do some more live dates to support the new record, although I don’t know exactly where those will be yet.  Then, it's all about diving into writing the new record, which we are all extremely excited about.  I think the best is yet to come (as great as the present music is!), and the prospect of taking what we do the next level couldn't be more exciting for us all!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:35:28 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1078 on: September 05, 2018, 08:30:15 AM »
Vik is an outstanding guy, we actually had him on our most recent podcast but I forgot to post about it here: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/talking-perspectives-episode-twelve/
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1079 on: September 05, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »
Very cool!  Thanks, Mike.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1080 on: September 05, 2018, 03:49:01 PM »
Cassy as always.

Apologies for not responding early, Abydos.

I think we have probably retired that record for the foreseeable future. Never say never, of course.
Absolutely no need for apologies - time is a very finite resource which makes it even more special that you decide to take it and respond to things we just ask out of the blue.
I am a bit sad about that as this record was my introduction to the band and have many fond memories of listening to it at 6:30am on the bus to school during winter along with A Pleasant Shade of Gray :). But I understand and remain hopeful for the future :).

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #1081 on: September 12, 2018, 07:12:04 PM »
After listening to it more, its a really consistent album. "Indulge in Color" i think is the best by far. It's the one song where i feel Tom really lets loose and i get goosebumps from it. I wish there were more songs like that. "Impermanent" is also really good, but the album does seem to run together  for me. I think Art of Loss is better imo and love most of that cd, "Center of the Fire".

I just don't find a ton of melodies that stick in my head with album. Maybe "Somebody Else's Problem". Every Redemption album before this(except maybe the debut) had lots of memorable choruses or melodies that stuck with me. Musically, its amazing. Well, i'll continue to listen to it, maybe it will click more for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: September 12, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
"Indulge in Color" i think is the best by far. It's the one song where i feel Tom really lets loose and i get goosebumps from it.

Wait until you see it on the live dvd, that was probably my favorite song from their set at PP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: October 07, 2018, 04:58:40 AM »
I finally got around to purchasing this album (I know, I know, better late than never) and have only had one listen so far.  I've been a fan of Everygrey since the Inner Circle came out, going on 15 years, and I consider Tom of metals greatest and unique voices.  He's one of my personal favs, so hearing him in Redemption is actually quite an interesting experience.  I have nothing negative to say at all.  When you think about Tom and Redemption, it sounds as interesting as it actually is, a unique combination and hearing Tom sing here is just wonderful.  He's got some different timbres and tones going on in his voice at times which you don't hear so it's great that's he's fully invested cause it shows.

Redemptions sound is Redemption and the similar riffing at times makes no difference to me and I have no issue.  I must say I was taken a back a little with Someone Else's Problem and the Echo Chamber being back to back with that riff that's so similar, but that's a minor gripe.  Obviously hard to pick up on everything in one listen but I gotta say, Little Men works so well in the context of the album, what an absolute cracker.

New Years Day is wonderful.  I LOVE what Tom is doing here, especially in the 'say it's true' section where Tom goes lower instead of the original that goes higher.  It's different but beautiful and Tom's note selection and phrasing on the line 'we can be one' just might be my fav point of the album on first listen.  Simone's self indulgent shred on this one is actually perfect and works a treat.

Speaking of solos, there is a lot going on.  Seems like Nick even took a slight backseat at times for Simone and Chris.  Chris is doing some of his most incredible stuff here, there's some amazing solos from him.  Simone has a pretty repetitive style but shreds his ass off like I expected.  It's great to see Tom fully invest in his vocals here but Nick, next time get him in on the solo action, his solos are so classy and his style is so underrated.  His runs, phrasing and note selections are perfect and most of my fav Evergrey solos are his as opposed to Henrik.  Tom doing a few solos with Nick, Simone and Chris would just be next level for me.

Looking forward to listening more.  I must comment on the production too, it sounds amazing and Tom's vocal mix is possibly the best he's ever had.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: October 15, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Can't stop spinning this album.  Indulge in Color is one of the greatest songs I think I've ever heard, beautiful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.