Author Topic: I want to learn guitar.  (Read 9327 times)

Offline Ħ

I want to learn guitar.
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:27:30 AM »
How do I do this?  I have literally no idea where to start or what to do.  :lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: I want to learn guitar.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:41:19 AM »
I've been meaning to start playing guitar myself, I actually have a guitar, even though it is kinda bad.
But I spent like 2 weeks trying to learn how to play Trains (I think it was), with like 0 knowledge about how to play at all, with no results I gave up quite easily.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:27:33 AM »
Go and get some lessons from a guitar teacher, that's your best bet.  I had lessons and never regretted it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:54:49 AM »
Go and get some lessons from a guitar teacher, that's your best bet.  I had lessons and never regretted it.
Lessons is your best bet. But don't rely only on your teacher - you have to practice. A teacher can guide you in the right direction.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:57:35 AM »
Regarding private lessons:

1) What price should I be looking for?
2) How long and how frequent should I do lessons?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:02:17 AM »
YouTube is your friend! And eventually, perhaps my site? ;) https://www.guitarechoes.com
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:06:42 AM »
Heh, yeah, it can be tough to self-teach.

I was taught for awhile, but recently have started trying to teach myself how to really play acoustically and have it sound good as a stand alone instrument. I've been working with some Steve Howe songs like Mood for a Day and I'm getting destroyed by them.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:09:48 AM »
Is using youtube tutors still considered self-teaching?

Speaking of video teachers, how is JP's Rock Discipline?

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:11:37 AM »
Get a teacher and learn proper technique.

I am self taught and never learned proper technique (at the start) and now I am regretting it.

Also after a while get in a band or atleast surround yourself with other musicians. You will learn alot.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13:20 AM »
Speaking of video teachers, how is JP's Rock Discipline?
That is for more advanced players I would not suggest getting it yet. I have been playing for three years and still mess up on some parts.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:17:55 AM »
Thanks!

Oh wow I've got a ton of questions in my mind...

1) If I want to be as good as JP, how long should I practice daily?
2) Should I focus on learning songs or exercise/techniques first?  How do I know when I am ready to move on to learning another technique?

Offline jsem

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:20:05 AM »
Thanks!

Oh wow I've got a ton of questions in my mind...

1) If I want to be as good as JP, how long should I practice daily?
2) Should I focus on learning songs or exercise/techniques first?  How do I know when I am ready to move on to learning another technique?
JP practiced 6 hrs a day in highschool. And probably these days he practices many hours a day as well.

The key is to enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 05:26:20 AM »
As for how long you practice it truly does not mean shit. I have found that practicing for up to 6 hours a day you only learn a few new things. But this is Probably because many will do this in front of their computer or tv. I'm not dissing jp but if he practiced six hours a day everyday I am sure he spent some of that time practicing just lolligagging. Anyway find A secluded spot away from the tv or computer (unless your taking vid lessons or looking at tabs.)

Anyway as for songs vs. technique. Split up the practice sessions. Make one based on songs (throw in some technique exercises also) and one based on
technique (throw in some songs also.).

Regarding how long you should practice to be as good as jp. Do this but learn something completely new everyday. (you will need a wide taste in music for this.) Regarding either new genres (classical, jazz) or something in music theory. If you follow this plan (not even super strictly) you will be good.

And one more thing, do not focus all your energy on one technique. When I was getting into guitar my favorite band was dragonforce and I heard herman sweep pick and I thought I had to do this. So now my alternate picking suffers. (what sucks is recently I focused on alternate picking to get it back up and now my sweeping ability has declined)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:36 AM »
Is there...like...a master list of techniques somewhere, so I don't miss anything?  :lol

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:23 AM »
Is there...like...a master list of techniques somewhere, so I don't miss anything?  :lol
Just a list of techniques off the top of my head: vibrato, legato, alternate picking, sweep picking, tapping, sweep tapping, finger picking, flamenco style, economy picking, pinch harmonics, volume swells, and a few others I cant think of.

Offline jsem

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:44 AM »
Lol. Hermans sweeps are not something one should exactly try to model. JP sweeps about 100000x better is nowhere near the best sweeper.

@master list:
No. You could make up your own techniques. Every guitarist is different. There are flamenco technique that are just insane, and I bet no one of the "great" metal guitarists can emulate them. Then there's the jazz thumb technique of Wes Montgomery, he played every note with his thumb - even the "shreddy" stuff. Gypsy jazz has a special shred pick technique unlike rock/metal shredding.

It all depends on what you wanna learn.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:42 AM »
Lol. Hermans sweeps are not something one should exactly try to model. JP sweeps about 100000x better is nowhere near the best sweeper.

@master list:
No. You could make up your own techniques. Every guitarist is different. There are flamenco technique that are just insane, and I bet no one of the "great" metal guitarists can emulate them. Then there's the jazz thumb technique of Wes Montgomery, he played every note with his thumb - even the "shreddy" stuff. Gypsy jazz has a special shred pick technique unlike rock/metal shredding.

It all depends on what you wanna learn.
Well as for hermans sweeps that was the first time I ever heard sweep picking so I was blown away. (It was a studio version to.) And yes you can make your own techniques (hell look at marty friedman.) as for the list I was just thinking of the most well known and widely used techniques. As for the "great" metal guitarists sure they cant but I have tried very hard, and strongly believe to be as diverse as possible.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:56 AM »
I've been playing ten years and still don't know sweeps :( In fact, I still can't really solo... or shred at least. I just never "got" how to do it.

Anyway, learn chords first!

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:47:57 AM »
First learn how to make chords by a teacher or by video or even books , then find out by playing a few simple chords like the beginning of living after midnight by JP and see if you have natural rhythm and you are enjoying this .(Some cable company's have on demand begginers lessons )
Im not trying to discourage you at all it is just some people do not have any rhythm/ and or coordination at all with no fault of there own , after you find that you do have rhythm then go for da lessons dude
Hang around with other guitar players/bands watch and ask questions good luck and enjoy

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 07:19:01 AM »
I wouldn't even think about playing like Petrucci at this point. I know when I was a beginner, anyway, I wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to learn DT songs that were so far out of my skill level it wasn't even worth it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 07:44:20 AM »
I bought a cheap acoustic guitar a few months ago and have been slowly teaching myself. Basically I'm just learning chords and playing basic songs to practice. I'm making slow progress mostly because I don't practice all that much. I can play fun little songs for my son like Old MacDonald and the ABCs. That's basically all I'm looking to be able to do.

If you're looking to be the next JP, here's what I'd do. Start learning basic chords on your own and learn some simple songs (you can find this info free online for the most part). If after a few months you're progressing and are still interested, start taking lessons.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »
I'd imagine getting a guitar teacher would be a good idea.  I don't know, I never had one.  I will say this, check them out and get info on any of them.  If they're planning to teach you the Blue Danube Waltz out of the "New Classic Guitar Instructional Book", then you probably want to pass on them.  Also, it's very likely you be influenced more towards how the specific instructor plays, i.e. how he holds his pick, how he frets the neck, etc. so be aware of that.  When I've tried to show things to Mrs. Cozmo's son on guitar, I have to completely deconstruct the way I play, bit by bit, to get myself back in the mindframe of someone who doesn't know what to do.  It's tough.

Here is a link to the Steve Vai 30 hour workout:

https://www.freewebs.com/edeninruins/stevevai30hourpathtovirtuosoenlightenment.pdf

With that I will point out:  I'm not linking this to say "do this and you'll be great!"  It's entirely too much for a beginner to even digest.  In time, this is a great resource for inspiration on how to get ahead when practicing.  In particular though, I point out page 4.  The exercises on just that page (figures 1-8) are excellent exercises for just getting your fingers moving and teaching finger independence and coordinating picking with fretting.  Start out nice and slow with it and as you gain strength in your fingers and a little confidence, you can slowly start to speed it up.  Using a metronome helps.

Also, very importantly, I always point out - after a while of learning, your fretting fingers are going to hurt like a bitch.  Your fingertips will burn.  Take a few days off to let them rest, if need be, then get back to it.  Your fingers will eventually become used to it and won't hurt anymore.  It can be discouraging, but don't let it be, the hurting fingertips doesn't last.

I always recommend trying to learn on an electric.  The necks are slightly longer than an on an acoustic and they use lighter strings than an acoustic, normally.  This may make things a bit easier on your hands when first learning, though some acoustics ARE pretty nice feeling in your hands.  Go to the local guitar store and check out some models.  What feels good in your hands?  What feels good hanging off your shoulders, or on your leg while sitting?  Stylized designs like a Flying V, or a Z-body, or possible even a Gibson SG might not be suitable choices for a beginner, due to their odd body shapes.

Good luck!

Offline jsem

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:18 AM »
You should be deciding what you're playing, not your teacher. Some teachers work this way... they are the best.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
Exactly.  That was what I meant to say, but you said it so much better.  :lol

Along with that, I think making sure your teacher is compatible age-wise will help with that, i.e. you probably would prefer a teacher that's going to be more likely to teach you Enter Sandman than Brown Eyed Girl.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 08:29:23 AM »
I think everyone works differently.  Personally, the most uninspired I ever felt to play guitar was when I was under the direction of a strict teacher, and I did best just messing around for hours at home until I find out what sounds right.  I'm not huge on technique, but probably some other people are.  Find out which approach you like and stay with it. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »
Buy GuitarPro.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline jsem

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »
Have you guys ever used TuxGuitar?  If not, it supports GuitarPro AND Power Tab files.  For free.  I have a copy on hand for reading GP files, but I still try to stick with PT files whenever possible.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
Have you guys ever used TuxGuitar?  If not, it supports GuitarPro AND Power Tab files.  For free.  I have a copy on hand for reading GP files, but I still try to stick with PT files whenever possible.
I was just going to post the same exact thing. TuxGuitar is open source too!
TG opens up PT and GP files, great program if you don't want to spend the money for GP

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 09:19:37 AM »
Can you write music with tux?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »
Yep.  Edit and play:

https://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »
My approach: Get your iPod(or other music device) and search for the simplest song on guitar that you'd like to play, then play it.
If you don't know how to do a certain thing, Google is your friend. I did this, and it worked  :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
All I'll say is that you shouldn't be trying to be as good as JP. It's all about you and your style of playing, not his.

It's good to have influences but I don't think it's very good to have idols.

Unless, of course, it's Steven Wilson. Then you must idolize him.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 11:37:02 AM »
There are flamenco technique that are just insane, and I bet no one of the "great" metal guitarists can emulate them.

not even broderick!?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
Have you guys ever used TuxGuitar?  If not, it supports GuitarPro AND Power Tab files.  For free.  I have a copy on hand for reading GP files, but I still try to stick with PT files whenever possible.

If you ever need a blowjob just PM me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!