Author Topic: I want to learn guitar.  (Read 9386 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: I want to learn guitar.
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
I remember barre chords taking about 6 months before I could move the E shape up the neck without losing the shape.
I've been learning barre chords recently.  I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but they sound much thinner and less vibrant than open chords.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2011, 02:05:44 AM »
I remember barre chords taking about 6 months before I could move the E shape up the neck without losing the shape.
I've been learning barre chords recently.  I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but they sound much thinner and less vibrant than open chords.
That's how it is in the beginning. Just keep practicing it and you'll get it in no time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
Barre chords will sound a lot less ringy due to the fact that there are no open strings.

I've been playing for 17 years now and I almost never use barre chords anymore anyway.

I find powerchords or triads a lot more efficient

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2011, 04:16:24 AM »
Triads ftw. They make you look so bad arse.

So lately I've been into learning lefty style, sounds stupid right? Well I'm getting it down so far and haven't stopped or gotten frustrated yet.

Offline jsem

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
Why would you learn lefty.. hahaha.. good luck though, I can't get it to work at ALL lefty.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2011, 04:45:59 AM »
^ I don't know. Why would you play any instrument? It all comes down to what you want to learn/what you've always wanted to learn.
I want to know all about what guitars and my hands can do. Plus when I started I really wished I could play lefty because I was very into Hendrix.He's what made me wanna learn it seriously, but I stayed right handed because I already had better coordination skills.
I grasped the basics of fretting and picking a few years before I was a serious player. Thanks though, jsem.