Author Topic: I listened to the 12 step suite  (Read 10239 times)

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
Re: I listened to the 12 step suite
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
Yes, I've done that a couple of times. Damn shame that we might never hear this suite ever live in it's entirely.
Well, never say never...  ;)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
I just made a long track of all 5 of the songs. And while the transitions from TROAE to Repentence and Repentence to TSF are amazing, I just can't can't seem to get TDS and TROAE to flow together. THe different keys makes it very difficult. Luckily, the last note in TROAE is the key of Repentence.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
I've done this before, and I'll post it again - here's a link to a sample of the transitions I made for the 12SS.

https://rapidshare.com/files/447477621/Twelve_Step_Transitions.mp3

If you're wondering about the "Repentance"->"The Shattered Fortress" transition, I did it using the stems available on the big box set. Didn't think they'd come in handy, but for this project, they did! I encourage anyone out there with the stems to try and the same... I don't mind if you use my idea, just as long as you get to enjoy the 12SS like I have! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
For the TDS -> TROAE transition, I did the end open rhytmn, from TDS into the beginning one before it starts the main ROAE riff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »
I've done this before, and I'll post it again - here's a link to a sample of the transitions I made for the 12SS.

If you're wondering about the "Repentance"->"The Shattered Fortress" transition, I did it using the stems available on the big box set. Didn't think they'd come in handy, but for this project, they did! I encourage anyone out there with the stems to try and the same... I don't mind if you use my idea, just as long as you get to enjoy the 12SS like I have! :tup

-Marc.

Wow that was awesome!  But I can imagine getting pretty worn out by the middle of TDS, with almost no moments of silence.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 04:35:42 AM »
(I don't understand how the people can hate TSF, I think it's great grand finale for this saga)

It's just a massive letdown because I'm assuming most people, like myself, were expecting another new song instead of 75% remix with some original stuff scattered in between. There are some cool parts but it's incredibly underwhelming.
I don't get this.  The only one that was 100% original was TGP.  Then TDS had some original stuff, but reprised some TGP stuff as well.  Then TROAE had a fair amount of reprise stuff as well, and Repentance was largely reprise also.  I'm not sure why anyone was expecting anything completely new instead of something largely comprised of reprises.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »
(I don't understand how the people can hate TSF, I think it's great grand finale for this saga)

It's just a massive letdown because I'm assuming most people, like myself, were expecting another new song instead of 75% remix with some original stuff scattered in between. There are some cool parts but it's incredibly underwhelming.
I don't get this.  The only one that was 100% original was TGP.  Then TDS had some original stuff, but reprised some TGP stuff as well.  Then TROAE had a fair amount of reprise stuff as well, and Repentance was largely reprise also.  I'm not sure why anyone was expecting anything completely new instead of something largely comprised of reprises.

agreed. I dont find TSF underwhelming at all.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:14:35 PM by MarkFitDT »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
They were expecting a big epic grand finale type song. Instead they got a summary and are mad at self.

I didn't expect any other way to end it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline darkshot

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »

-Marc.

Very nice job with the repentance to TSF transition I hope they would do something similar to that if it is ever played live in sequence :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »

-Marc.

Those were very creative!  :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I actually went through a couple variations on the REP/TSF transition, one that started with JUST drums, one with the WHOLE riff that starts the song, and then the final one you hear with the entrances of drums, bass, then guitar for the start of the song itself. On my final mix, I kept the opening of TSF relatively long, to keep it as long as the original track was, roughly, but if done live, I'm sure the entrance would be slightly shorter since it's just the riffing guitar and repeated bass/drum rhythms without much change before the keyboards come in.

Over-all, it's a great near-56 minute "album", and it tides me over until we either get DT to release their own mix of the songs on CD, or they play it live and release in it's entirety.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
I'm giving the suite a run through right now, I'm about 2/3 of the way done with TDS and my ears are already tired. :/

Offline wjc

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 03:54:01 AM »

-Marc.

The link is dead now, can you rehost it or something please?
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:28 PM »
If anyone wants to listen to it (the transitions mp3), just PM me your email address and I'll email the mp3 to you.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:52:24 PM by The Letter M »

Offline floppa

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »
*snip*
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:10:04 AM by bösk1 »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 02:06:55 AM »
Uh...what does DT's performance of TGP during Gigantour have to do with anything?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 02:16:35 AM »
I also think TSF was a great ending to the suite and by far the second best song in the suite.

Offline floppa

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 06:30:49 AM »
Uh...what does DT's performance of TGP during Gigantour have to do with anything?

Did you read this thread at all? There were people stating they had never seen TGP gigantour video on page one. Thought I would post it and share.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »

Did you read this thread at all? There were people stating they had never seen TGP gigantour video on page one. Thought I would post it and share.

Which is illegal and a violation of forum rules.  Please do not post links to officially released material.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 11:26:25 AM »
The challenge for me to sit through the 12SS is there are not quite enough awesome parts to make the experience as a whole totally enjoyable, unlike ACOS and OV. For example, I like the way TGP starts and ends but it reeallly drags in the middle. TDS suffers from a similar problem, except whereas a lot of people can't stand the ending for me it's the middle again. TRoAE through the first half of Repentance is great, but then nothing awesome happens again until the guitar solo of TSF IMO. So I think it was a great effort but suffers from serious bloat, and I'm unlikely to ever want to listen to it end-to-end.

That being said, if it was ever released on a DVD (highly unlikely) I wouldn't have much trouble watching the performance.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
If MP really wanted,  he could reel in some really capable musicians and perform it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
I made a crude edit of this suite in to one song/file, but then lost interest in actually listening to it all. It is pretty rare I feel like listening to any 40+ minute song/suite anyway (see below).

While I think it would be cool for the suite to make a special live appearance, with or without Mike, I would hope it wouldn’t become a concert staple, or be featured at a show I was at, or make its way on to a DT DVD release. 

… there are not quite enough awesome parts to make the experience as a whole totally enjoyable…..So I think it was a great effort but suffers from serious bloat, and I'm unlikely to ever want to listen to it end-to-end.

I edited your post to reflect my thoughts on the song Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline i_am_here_

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
If MP really wanted,  he could reel in some really capable musicians and perform it.

rumborak

It'd be tight if that's what he was doing with Russel Allen and Mike Orlando  :metal
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
Although I like the songs individually (apart from Redemption...zzz), I have no desire to listen to them as the suite. I think they suffer from being written over several years rather than being written as one track and it's just too intense for me,  not enough variety in sounds and "too many notes". And I never thought i would ever say that!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »
Although I like the songs individually (apart from Redemption...zzz), I have no desire to listen to them as the suite. I think they suffer from being written over several years rather than being written as one track and it's just too intense for me,  not enough variety in sounds and "too many notes". And I never thought i would ever say that!

Is that the one that JLB sings on... "Another Day Dies"? :lol

I can sort of agree, though, that is does suffer a bit from being written over the course of 7-8 years.

-Marc.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »

Is that the one that JLB sings on... "Another Day Dies"? :lol

I can sort of agree, though, that is does suffer a bit from being written over the course of 7-8 years.

-Marc.

Ahh I'd had a long day at work. Alzheimer's is infectious. I repent that I got the name of Repentence wrong.