Author Topic: I listened to the 12 step suite  (Read 10238 times)

Offline i_am_here_

I listened to the 12 step suite
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
So I just sat down and listened to the 12 step suite in its entirety.......hooray for me  :yarr anyone else done this yet?????
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: I listened to the 12 step suite
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »
Is it as clunky as I'd imagine? Sure some themes are shared and the lyrical content is obviously related but aside I can see "The Root Of All Evil" and "Repentance" sticking out drastically.

Offline j

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:25:51 PM »
I actually have yet to do this.  In general, I think all the songs in the suite are pretty damn good except for This Dying Soul, but all of 'em back-to-back is a daunting task. :lol

-J

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
My Twelve Step Suite Remix:
I. Reflection (5:53)
II. Restoration (3:48)
III. Revelation (4:07)
IV. Reflections Of Reality (Revisited) (6:37)
V. Release (4:45)
VI. Ready (2:41)
VII. Remove (4:27)
VIII. Regret   (5:44)
IX. Restitution (4:57)
X. Restraint (5:27)
XI. Receive (3:56)
XII. Responsible (3:29)
=(55:51)

Made my own mix of the whole suite back in '09 not long after BC&SL came out. All the transitions between songs run pretty smoothly, too, and it's a great listen from start to finish, despite differences in production and some volume levels. It's a shame we can't get a remix of the songs together as an ALBUM with a single mix for the whole thing, so everything sounded the same across the whole suite. I guess my mix will have to do!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »
I've always wondered what the transitions were like for TROAE since it's in F and the rest of the songs are in B.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:35:14 PM »
The bass player of my band once created an mp3 of the whole thing. Didn't manage to listen through it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »
It's a good listen, if you like the songs. I personally love all the songs very much.

Like Marc said, it'd be great if there was consistency across the songs' mixes. But alas, what we have is to be expected, and it sounds good to me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
I've always wondered what the transitions were like for TROAE since it's in F and the rest of the songs are in B.

It "sounds" okay to me, going from the last chord of "This Dying Soul" into the opening riff of "The Root Of All Evil".

Does anyone know exactly what that last chord is at the end of TDS?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »

It "sounds" okay to me, going from the last chord of "This Dying Soul" into the opening riff of "The Root Of All Evil".

Does anyone know exactly what that last chord is at the end of TDS?

-Marc.

Its a tritone between F# and C, just preceded by a low B, so you could say the last chord would be B5b9, which doesn't lead to the F at the beginning of Root of All Evil in any theoretical way, but it could be argued that the tritone between the F# and C in the last chord of Dying Soul sets the stage for the relationship between the two keys of the two songs, going from B to F.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »
ive listened to it, a few times. Generally after BC&SL came out. It was supposed to be played live, so that would take care of production values if it wound up on a live DVD/CD. Also 3 of the 5 songs have yet to appear on an official release (or even been played live)

the one thing ill miss with MP out of the band, is the fact that i do not know when this will be performed now. i was kinda looking forward to it around the time i heard BC&SL was coming out.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 12:14:22 AM »
ive listened to it, a few times. Generally after BC&SL came out. It was supposed to be played live, so that would take care of production values if it wound up on a live DVD/CD. Also 3 of the 5 songs have yet to appear on an official release (or even been played live)

the one thing ill miss with MP out of the band, is the fact that i do not know when this will be performed now. i was kinda looking forward to it around the time i heard BC&SL was coming out.

As far as I know, only one of the songs hasn't been played live. But maybe I misunderstood you.  :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »
I did this as soon as I had Black Clouds & Silver Linings and had listened to the album itself a few times through. Then I ripped it and popped it in a playlist for on my iPod. The Shattered Fortress still doesn't work even when the Suite is put together (I thought I may appreciate it more in that situation, but alas I did not).

The Glass Prison  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
This Dying Soul  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The Root of All Evil  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Repentance  :D :D :D :D
The Shattered Fortress  :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »
I did this myself like a year ago or something, from what I remember it had a fairly good flow, and nothing really sounded "off".
It was an interesting listen, but not something I'm dying to listen to again. :P

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 03:04:02 AM »
It's a good listen, if you like the songs. I personally love all the songs very much.

My thoughts as well!  :)

(I don't understand how the people can hate TSF, I think it's great grand finale for this saga)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »
Me too. If you mix it right. The Shattered Fortress becomes one of the best live songs DT has come up with.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 04:03:03 AM »
Quote from: YtseJamittaja
(I don't understand how the people can hate TSF, I think it's great grand finale for this saga)

This

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
I think I've listened to the whole suite in its entirety only once. A few transitions didn't really work, but mostly it flows quite well.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »
The one thing I really disliked about MP leaving is that maybe we won't get to see the whole suite live now and I was really looking forward for the recording of it, as it was gonna be on a DVD when it was finished.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »

As far as I know, only one of the songs hasn't been played live. But maybe I misunderstood you.  :)

i was just talking generally, but i was referring to TSF not being played live yet. Repentance has only been played live once i believe (with Mikael Akerfeldt) and The Glass Prison hasnt appeared on an offical release (not counting that DVD for the SDoIT tour, which is Ytsejam?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »
That Romania concert is an YtseJam release, yes.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Metal

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 08:38:51 AM »
The 2005 Gigantour DVD has TGP live. It's pretty good too!
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
I've played the suite in its entirety, there's allways a slight pain in my hands after this dying soul

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »

It's just a massive letdown because I'm assuming most people, like myself, were expecting another new song instead of 75% remix with some original stuff scattered in between. There are some cool parts but it's incredibly underwhelming.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »
I dunno. I thought it was really, really well-done. It has all the trappings of a DT song I wouldn't like but for some reason it comes together so well for me.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
The 2005 Gigantour DVD has TGP live. It's pretty good too!
If it wasn't for the camera being always on JP or MP, that would've been a great recording.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
I've never seen it.  I have the CD, so I've heard the audio version, but I never bought the DVD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
I never could find the CD, so I resorted to buy the DVD.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
That TGP version is killer.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 10:01:33 AM »
I like that TGP/TDS is on MP's DVD In Constant Motion, except for the fact that the expletives are bleeped out...kind of ruins it. Oh well. It's the only officially released material by any DT member that shows both back-to-back.

It's a shame that TSF might not get released live, let alone be played. And even though "Repentance" was only played once, that one performance was at least released (albeit a fan club CD).

Actually, at this point, if it seems like DT won't play the whole 12SS live, then I wouldn't mind paying for a remixed 55 minute album of all the songs segued together, presented as an album on its own, so long as every song has (near-)identical levels and mixing, all done by one person. I'm sure the original tracks are somewhere, so JP could probably just hand them all over to someone and be like "Mix these songs together". Then again, I'm not sure how MP would react to that, considering they're his songs, lyrically.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 10:03:41 AM »
I don't know, but I'm guessing they'll do a remixed 12SS release on Ytsejam.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:02 AM »
Yep, I have a 12SS playlist on my PSP.  But, ever since MP left the band, I haven't been too interested in listening to it.  In fact, ever since MP left, my perception of those 5 songs has completely changed.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »
Why would MP leaving change your perception of the songs?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
Because of everything that went down and his attitude about it.  I don't want to bash MP, but my experience with recovered alcoholics is one of arrogance.  It's the attitude of overcoming a huge obstacle in one's life that seems to give them a feeling of invinciblity and a sense of "the world revolves around me".  But that's just a perception I get.  It may not be the same for everyone.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
Great work.I just don't very like This Dying Soul.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »
I have yet to listen to it, I'll check it out tomorrow though and post my thoughts here.