Author Topic: If there was no religion.  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
If there was no religion.
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
Lets just pretend beliefs in a god never came about in human history. Where would the world be today? I'd imagine many of the past wars over the last few thousands of years would still have taken place, but what about today? Would the world be more peaceful? Would it be worse? your thoughts?

Offline Ħ

Re: If there was no religion.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
This kind of question is more or less impossible to answer. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
This kind of question is more or less impossible to answer. 

So is any question about the existence of god....yet these threads and discussions abound.

I dont think it is possible for humans not to have developed some type of belief in god.
There are just too many people that need to feel comfort and purpose, and are unable to rely on themselves for it.
They need to create it in an external source greater than themselves that cant be refuted.
JMO.

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »
This discussion will be impossible to have because the religious will come in and make posts like BrotherH's implying all of our morality comes from a higher plane, and then the atheists and agnostics will argue that our morality comes from our own desire not to have bad things happen to us, and neither side will ever budge.

Anyway, I don't think history would change overmuch. Without religion, the leaders of the world would find something else to point at about the enemy to enrage the general public into supporting war, like "Those guys over there wear stupid hats" or something.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
My question: does religion just simply not exist, or is something physically different about us that is the reason?  Like our brain can't do certain types of abstract thinking, or our nervous response to "spiritual" things is different?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
My question: does religion just simply not exist, or is something physically different about us that is the reason?  Like our brain can't do certain types of abstract thinking, or our nervous response to "spiritual" things is different?

To man's knowledge there is no god.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »
I simply have a hard time imagining a pre-industrial society that isn't religious.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
Human nature would have to be decidedly different for religion to not occur naturally. With those totally different humans, it's hard to say how their society would be.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »
We'd have a damn hoverboard by now that's for sure.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
We'd have a damn hoverboard by now that's for sure.

brb burning local church to the ground

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »
John Lennon would be god.

Or what that South Park episode depicted: The Atheist Union vs. The Union of Atheists (or whatever it was called).

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »

I guess I'll start it off...so, how is it that if there was no religion, we would have no speeding limit and drugs would be rampant?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

I guess I'll start it off...so, how is it that if there was no religion, we would have no speeding limit and drugs would be rampant?
Also, I gather that it must be religions fault we can't park wherever the fuck we want.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
I'd say faith is born out of a knowledge of our own mortality. And a religion is a group of people who want to be arbiters of peoples faith. I think both of these are unavoidable human characteristics and thus there isn't a way where they couldn't exist. At the time at which these ideas were formed, there is no way we would possess the scientific method and knowledge to doubt the claims.

A better question would be if we only had one religion, would the world be a better place? Assuming it's based around a good moral code, then it might be. But there will always be the split between believers and non-believers, and as another said, who knows what justification warmongers will come up with in place of a clash of faiths.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
really good question, I will have to keep thinking on it.

I generally try to form a distinction, though, between religion and faith. 
Religion is man's attempt to bring God to us.  Faith is man's attempt to seek God.
The fruits of each are wildly different.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »
I suspect there'd be little difference.  As I see it, religion is irrelevant with regard to ethics.  While there are plenty of people who choose to be just because of their religion, there are just as many who choose to be assholes for the same reason.  Same thing with us heathens.  As for history, there are plenty of times and places where religion was either non-existent of starkly dissimilar to any religion we now know, and they had the same tendencies towards violence, bigotry, and greed as everybody else.   I'd say that human nature is far more influential than religion ever was.

One area where we might have seen a big difference is science.  The Catholics really did keep down a lot of research that they didn't like.  To be fair, a ton of things were discovered and/or created because of religion, but I suspect they would have occurred anyway. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »
A meaningless hypothetical with too many damn variables to even hazard a wild guess.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »
 Maybe. But think of it, if we're able to prognosticate this one, we should be able to tell who the new drummer is!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 08:11:44 PM »
We could have all the women we wanted?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »
I honestly think humankind would be technologically and scientifically more advanced. Over the centuries religious beliefs have got in the way of many scientific discoveries.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »
I don't think that's on the whole part true.  Sure, you can cite examples in certain fields (biology, or even more significantly, geology, which was completely strangled by the religious beliefs of its own practitioners) but for the most part scientific inquiry in pre-Industrial societies didn't happen because there were not that many institutions with the resources or desire to conduct it.  Up until the Renaissance, there really was no benefactors to be had for scientific research (outside of alchemy) in Europe.  I don't think that religious beliefs or institutions have been all that influential in stemming the spread of scientific knowledge.  Have they hampered scientific literacy?  Yes, and that should be criticized and remedied.  However, I don't think the argument that religious beliefs held back technology or scientific progress to be, on the whole, all that convincing.

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »
A meaningless hypothetical with too many damn variables to even hazard a wild guess.

Basically this.  We lack the perspective of an outside frame of reference, because of the fundamentals of human nature as people have pointed out.

All other things equal, I would say that there probably wouldn't be much of a difference in overall "progress", be it social or scientific.  Historically, religion has both promoted and inhibited scientific advancement.  It has both added to and detracted from social circumstances and "quality of life".

I suspect there'd be little difference.  As I see it, religion is irrelevant with regard to ethics.  While there are plenty of people who choose to be just because of their religion, there are just as many who choose to be assholes for the same reason.  Same thing with us heathens.  As for history, there are plenty of times and places where religion was either non-existent of starkly dissimilar to any religion we now know, and they had the same tendencies towards violence, bigotry, and greed as everybody else.   I'd say that human nature is far more influential than religion ever was.

Agreed, in practice.

We could have all the women we wanted?

You can have this now, if you got game.

-J

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 10:26:03 PM »
A more reasonable question would be what if humans never conceived of a spiritual realm, so that nothing ever needed supernatural explanations and the mind was never separate from the body. A worldview of complete monism, where everything is interlinked. I suppose there would still be legends of heroes and monsters and such, as well as beliefs of racial supremacy.

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 10:28:47 PM »
The world would be a far less interesting place. The concept of god (along with the negative) has brought many positive things to this world. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline berrege

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 06:09:11 AM »
The world would be a much better place, with less conflicts and wars.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 08:12:41 AM »
The world would be a far less interesting place. The concept of god (along with the negative) has brought many positive things to this world. :)
It certainly tends to make the average museum a helluva lot more interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
The world would be a much better place, with less conflicts and wars.

Maybe, but certain groups of people (say Blacks, Asians, Irish, Spanish-speakers, fans of metal, pro-skub, anti-skub, etc) would still be targeted because of their differences. I know this phrase is overused, but the more things would change, the more they would stay the same. People would undoubtedly fill the void left by an absence of God with acts just as atrocious in the name of some other cause.

Offline ehra

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
People would undoubtedly fill the void left by an absence of God with acts just as atrocious in the name of some other cause.

Personally I think religion has done more good overall than bad, but I don't think I buy this either. Metal music doesn't promise an eternity in paradise for following its teachings.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 08:58:14 AM »
That's because metal is already heaven on earth.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
It seems an inevitable creation of man, to answer inevitable questions of man.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
I think the world would be a better place, and as for the people who believe morality comes from religion, they'd probably have the same morals.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »
Two scenarios involving the lack of religion:

1) If there was no God, and humans were left to their own devices, then religion would arise, as evidenced by our present world.  You would have to alter human nature to ensure that religion did not exist.

2) If there was a God, and he didn't give man religion or any reason to believe in him, then false relgion would arise from man, or no religion would exist at all.

In both cases, false man-made religions rise out of human nature.  So the entire question revolves around a non-human civilization.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges