Author Topic: Is metal by far the most misunderstood genre?  (Read 11958 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Is metal by far the most misunderstood genre?
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
Okay, first let me start off by saying that not liking something =\= being close-minded.

I'm not about to say DC is or isn't close-minded, because frankly close-minded is the race card of musical discussion and typically has no place in the discussion 90% of the time. DC, I'm sure there is a musical technique out there you don't like, and that's okay, it doesn't make you close-minded just as generally not liking growls doesn't make me or anyone else close-minded in and of itself. If you shut yourself off from something without any real reason that's another matter completely, but I think most people here who don't like growls have given them substantial chances and have been exposed to some variety. I even had a growling round in my roulette.

I can't tell you how many times certain bands I love have been ridiculed over the years, but it just comes down to people not liking it. Most of the time this doesn't mean they are at all close-minded. In the same way I generally dislike growls, and often I do find them laughable, but it's simply a matter of taste, and on the same token that the entire internet can go lolNickelback people have to accept that some people are going to go lolGrowls and lolHighPitchedVocals and just accept that not everyone is going to like everything.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »
Calling it "ridiculous, silly, laughable, ect" isn't just a simple, harmless "It's not for me" or "I don't like it" statement. It's a claim that it's a less legitimate, less valid form of musical expression. Which, coming from your average Joe that just listens to what's on the radio or readily admits they only like a specific type of music, I could completely understand. Not from people who otherwise show a more widespread appreciation for music for music's sake. It's like the literary critics or scholars whose brain ooze out their ears whenever the topic of Fantasy comes up.

While I very much like your post and the way you've presented your arguments, I'm going to take some exception to this. I understand this may come across as snobby or arrogant, but I somewhat think saying it's less legitimate can be an extension of not liking something. While music is subjective there is certainly a difference between a professional recording artist and someone farting into a microphone for 60 minutes, and somewhere between the two there has to be a line where we say that on this side is legitimate music and on this side there isn't. Of course our personal tastes will dictate where we think that line is. And while I have a good bit of respect for the more aggressive metal styles musically, I generally can't bring myself to respect or value a great growler on the same level as I would an amazing singer. Perhaps an odd analogy, but I'd compare it to two cooks, one of which makes amazing toast and the other which makes an amazing steak. Sure, both are awesome at making their respective food, but I'm really only going to care about the one making the great steak.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:33 AM »
OK but the way you talk about the chef is not the way you talked about "growlers". Just saying.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ehra

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »
Of course our personal tastes will dictate where we think that line is. And while I have a good bit of respect for the more aggressive metal styles musically, I generally can't bring myself to respect or value a great growler on the same level as I would an amazing singer. Perhaps an odd analogy, but I'd compare it to two cooks, one of which makes amazing toast and the other which makes an amazing steak. Sure, both are awesome at making their respective food, but I'm really only going to care about the one making the great steak.

Everything you've said is great, but as Kari said there's a huge difference between "I can't respect or value a great growler as much as I would a great singer" or "I recognize both are awesome at what they do, but I don't give a crap about your toast. Where's my steak?" and "this is silly." One is a statement based on your tastes ("I don't like growling") and another is a statement based on the quality of the product ("growling is silly").

And, really, now that I think about it, it's funny how arbitrary the claims that do or don't bother a person are. "Growling sucks" wouldn't even phase me, yet I take issue with "growling is silly."

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »
Into Eternity does growling and harsh vocals right. At least on two of their albums, along with the music, it sounds awesome. Maybe it's because there's melody in the harshness, but Into Eternity is the only band where I enjoy the growling. There are a couple Opeth songs I kind of like, but I never really listen to those because Opeth is BORING. It's a shame Into Eternity sucks donkey balls now.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:01 AM »
Okay, first let me start off by saying that not liking something =\= being close-minded.

I'm not about to say DC is or isn't close-minded, because frankly close-minded is the race card of musical discussion and typically has no place in the discussion 90% of the time. DC, I'm sure there is a musical technique out there you don't like, and that's okay, it doesn't make you close-minded just as generally not liking growls doesn't make me or anyone else close-minded in and of itself. If you shut yourself off from something without any real reason that's another matter completely, but I think most people here who don't like growls have given them substantial chances and have been exposed to some variety. I even had a growling round in my roulette.

I can't tell you how many times certain bands I love have been ridiculed over the years, but it just comes down to people not liking it. Most of the time this doesn't mean they are at all close-minded. In the same way I generally dislike growls, and often I do find them laughable, but it's simply a matter of taste, and on the same token that the entire internet can go lolNickelback people have to accept that some people are going to go lolGrowls and lolHighPitchedVocals and just accept that not everyone is going to like everything.

This is what I was getting at, especially the first paragraph.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
I'm kinda surprised this thread hasn't died down by now. It has been interesting to watch how the discussion has progressed.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »
It hasn't progressed. This is regression.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »
I concur
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
You can dislike something, but at least understand and respect why it's there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
It hasn't progressed. This is regression.

Nugget.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
You can dislike something, but at least understand and respect why it's there.

Generally a good and agreeable idea, but as I alluded to earlier we all have to have a line in which that isn't good enough. And I can usually understand why it's there, but often times I am a far cry from respecting it there.

Of course our personal tastes will dictate where we think that line is. And while I have a good bit of respect for the more aggressive metal styles musically, I generally can't bring myself to respect or value a great growler on the same level as I would an amazing singer. Perhaps an odd analogy, but I'd compare it to two cooks, one of which makes amazing toast and the other which makes an amazing steak. Sure, both are awesome at making their respective food, but I'm really only going to care about the one making the great steak.
And, really, now that I think about it, it's funny how arbitrary the claims that do or don't bother a person are. "Growling sucks" wouldn't even phase me, yet I take issue with "growling is silly."

Well I've already said there are times I applaud and appreciate growling, so it's not like I was saying it's always silly (though frankly if someone thinks that so be it), but in any case people can dismiss whatever they want, it all just comes down to personal preference anyway. I agree that if it does come from a place of close-mindedness (which here is not very often I'd say), then it is highly annoying, but usually I'd say people just need to learn that everyone is going to have different opinions.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
:lol you just look for every possible thread to post that in, don't you?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
dubstep is the most misunderstood genre.
This. I've heard a lot of hate directed toward dubstep (music I don't mind listening too, BTW and sometimes have an urge to listen to). People say it doesn't take talent, but seriously, just try to make dubstep with an electronic music program. Try it. I dare you. It takes an enormous amount of talent to make decent dubstep. I've heard it described as toilet noises and the like, but there is definitely music in there. Lots of it.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
This. I've heard a lot of hate directed toward dubstep (music I don't mind listening too, BTW and sometimes have an urge to listen to). People say it doesn't take talent, but seriously, just try to make dubstep with an electronic music program. Try it. I dare you. It takes an enormous amount of talent to make decent dubstep. I've heard it described as toilet noises and the like, but there is definitely music in there. Lots of it.
I think it's misunderstood because Skrillex and people like him are considered dubstep when they are something completely different IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:15:43 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
I think it's misunderstood because Skrillex and people like him are considered dubstep when they are something completely different.
That too. I think dubstep has become a lot more popular, and because of that, it's being produced to sound a lot more poppy, so to speak.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
Well, I don't really understand dubstep, but the only person I hear people talking about is Skrillex, when referring to dubstep.
What's wrong there then?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
Skrillex is brostep. That is, not real dubstep. Dubstep originally came from garage 2step and dub reggae (2 styles of electronic music) combined, hence the name.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2012, 05:31:46 PM »
Heh, I can say I listen to Brostep.  I enjoy Skrillex from time to time.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »
Me too, but the point is that it shouldn't be considered dubstep because they are very musically different.