Author Topic: Mr. Bungle  (Read 7904 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Mr. Bungle
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
This band is amazing, one of my favorites for sure.  :heart
Rankingwise i would say:

Disco Volante > California > Mr. Bungle

but they are all awesome

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »
The debut is one of the most brilliant and important rock albums in history. I still have trouble listeningto DV...maybe a bit TOO avant guarde. California is amazing, bit just a hair below the first.

Mr. Bungle > California >>>>>>>>>>>>> Disco Volante
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
The debut is one of the most brilliant and important rock albums in history.

Please explain. You usually know what you are talking about so I'd be interested to hear WTF you are actually talking about.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
cuz it helped shape the musician that mike portnoy would become

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 09:15:06 AM »
The debut is one of the most brilliant and important rock albums in history.

Please explain. You usually know what you are talking about so I'd be interested to hear WTF you are actually talking about.

When it came out in 1991, it was almost like Zappa for a new generation.   I defy you to find an avant guarde rock album with a wider influence from that time period.    It introduced a whole new generation of people to that particular style of weirdness and insanity.   It broke down SO many barriers.   Anything post 1991 that sounded even remotely like Bungle came about as a result of *that* album. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
A whole generation? Were there that many people paying attention? And which bands did they influence?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
I will admit, I don't consider Mr. Bungle to be particularly "important" in terms of wide reaching influence.

Avant-garde is such a broad genre anyway, it's kind of hard to say how many of them even listened to Mr. Bungle, much less be influenced by them.

I'm not denying that there are bands influenced by Mr. Bungle, I'm sure there are, but I definitely wouldn't consider it "One of the most important albums in rock history."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
I think Mr. Bungle in general is one of the most influential bands to have come out of the 90's. At least if we're talking about more experimental music. It's not like their albums affected mainstream pop on the radio or anything like that, but in terms of experimental bands that were just completely "out there", they really paved the way for many newer artists.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
i'd still have them as a cult band than anything. they weren't that popular to be a band that paved the way for anyone

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2020, 11:27:48 AM »
super old bump.

New music is in the works

https://lambgoat.com/news/32761/Mr.-Bungle-appear-to-be-in-the-studio?fbclid=IwAR3d8_DC9MgbnMHcHXwI0gB3KLBlbgUSZJyuvOIxN5cLezl-1oktcD7ycmg

Earlier this month Mr. Bungle performed a handful of reunion shows, the group's first live performances in roughly 20 years. If a new social media post is any indication, Mr. Bungle aren't done either.

Today the band tweeted an image of a recording studio console (you might notice that two of its channels are labeled "Trey" and "Scott").

They failed to provide any additional information, so it's possible they're messing with people, or, they're recording some new material. We'll hope for the latter.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2020, 01:34:09 PM »
Let's hope it is true. Their three albums are awesome. It reminds me I haven't given them a spin in quite some time. Time to revisit.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
Hope it's better than that last FNM album.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
Hope it's better than that last FNM album.

Thank you for saying that.  That album didn't do much for me either, but it seemed to get great reviews at the time it was released.  FNM needs Jim Martin's guitars.

As for Mr. Bungle, I'm definitely excited to hear whatever they do.  Their three albums are really great.  And the self-titled album one is freaking awesome.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2020, 04:09:13 PM »
I found the last FNM strangely unappealing too.

Can't agree about Jim Martin tho. KFADFFAL is my favourite
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 12:11:39 AM »
Sweet!

Seeing as Trey is involved this still has potential to be at least somewhat great.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »
bump.

"The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo" coming on October 30th

"Raping Your Mind"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U5ZKKxqUzY

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
Really? No new stuff? That’s kind of a let-down. That one song they released sucked a bit too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
I thought it was a re-recording of that.

Also, someone help me; I'm not familiar with the Bungle catalogue at all; I was always under the impression they did a cover of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", but when I googled it, I didn't see it on either Bungle or Disco Volante.  Did I misremember? 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
I'm still hyped, pre-ordered the vinyl and the deluxe CD thing. Hope this ignites a passion in them to make LP4 but the 3 we have are all so wonderful in different ways I don't know if a 4th could live up to it. Got all 3 on both CD and vinyl though.  :hat

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2020, 02:23:10 PM »
Don’t get me wrong though, I consider Disco Volante and California to be masterpieces and will get this one too. Turns out the song I thought ‘kind of sucked’ was some cover song.

Here’s more news:
https://www.loudersound.com/news/mr-bungle-announce-first-album-in-21-years

I didn’t listen to the single at the bottom of the article.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2020, 02:31:11 PM »
Don’t get me wrong though, I consider Disco Volante and California to be masterpieces and will get this one too. Turns out the song I thought ‘kind of sucked’ was some cover song.

Here’s more news:
https://www.loudersound.com/news/mr-bungle-announce-first-album-in-21-years

I didn’t listen to the single at the bottom of the article.

Did you pre-order too or are you holding off? Considering the limited quality I didn't dare to wait..  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2020, 04:39:33 PM »
I'll pre-order the CD, for sure!
Squ

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2020, 10:50:44 PM »
From what I have read, this is a pure thrash record. Makes sense why they brought in Scott and Dave. That is a superb duo for this. I had no idea that they started out as a Death/Thrash Metal band and then pivoted into what they were best known for.

This is them giving their demo a proper treatment. I LOVE the music in the first single. It is fast and heavy. Lombardo is just killing it as usual. My issue, which I kind of expected, is the weird noises coming out of Patton. I feared he would sound like he does on the Dead Cross album. I really wanted to like it but his vocals are just awful. I will need to sit with this album once it comes out because if the music on this first song is any indication, this record will slay.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2020, 11:54:52 AM »
Been listening to the new album and it's fantastic. ...And yes, it sounds a lot like Slayer. :metal
If they just re-recorded the original demo, you can tell Trey Spruance was influenced by Slayer in the early days.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2020, 03:41:42 PM »
I'm warming to Patton's performance. The music and musicianship on this is just amazing. I cannot believe how precise Lombardo still is. Honestly, I bought it mainly to listen to him play drums. I love Scott and Anthrax too, but Dave is the main draw for me.

This is a brutal album from start to finish.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2020, 08:46:53 PM »
From what I have read, this is a pure thrash record. Makes sense why they brought in Scott and Dave. That is a superb duo for this. I had no idea that they started out as a Death/Thrash Metal band and then pivoted into what they were best known for.

This is them giving their demo a proper treatment. I LOVE the music in the first single. It is fast and heavy. Lombardo is just killing it as usual. My issue, which I kind of expected, is the weird noises coming out of Patton. I feared he would sound like he does on the Dead Cross album. I really wanted to like it but his vocals are just awful. I will need to sit with this album once it comes out because if the music on this first song is any indication, this record will slay.

I must admit, I like this a whole lot more than actual Mr. Bungle.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »
Had no idea this existed, nor who was involved. Good fun. Thanks!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2020, 11:11:35 AM »
Also did not realize this was a thing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2020, 06:48:59 AM »
Got this one in the mail today. Really curious, will probably listen next monday.
Squ

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2024, 09:05:10 PM »
UBER BUMP!!

This is the only Mr Bungle thread I could find, and I figured this was worth mentioning here.

Theobald "Theo" Lengyel, the original sax player from the first two albums, has been arrested for murder:

https://kzok.iheart.com/content/2024-01-03-mr-bungle-founding-member-arrested-for-murder/?Keyid=socialflow&Pname=local_social&Sc=editorial&fbclid=IwAR3EOA_eekINEA0dhwp-Cek0NLfKeWnuRmFT12EZfZNxlY6U3N-iSTAPejg_aem_AeiCdYg5KvdNML7W2kGP1tbJ4DQImGOrcy8kHS30UhASq_mKsEud491nX0LkVw5WnfU

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2024, 08:45:08 AM »
This is so sad. I'm a lifelong Bungle geek and Theo always had this mystique around him to me (left after Disco Volante, remained in the down low for years, cracked odd jokes and had an involved live performance at times...). I even tried reaching out to him for an interview a couple of years back (now I'm glad that didn't pan out).

It was absolutely heartbreaking to see this play out. Somehow I was rooting for his girlfriend to be just missing and then reappear... not this. (Apparently her DNA matched the mortal remains found in a wooded area in Santa Cruz).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2024, 10:35:06 AM »
I'm not a huge fan, although bigger FNM fan and never seen Patton live, so I may try and go to the Minneapolis show on May 19th.

2024 Tour
https://www.facebook.com/mr.bungle.2024/posts/pfbid0CxfomcGk6Ms98rGg1NGeywmUPPeRB98sNqQiJuXo8CDLPymsqWL48WUP6RmLajGtl

We’ve added a few more US shows in cities we haven't visited since the turn of the millennium. And this time, we’re bringing our friend Otto Von Schirach along for the ride! Tickets on sale this Friday at 10am local time at https://www.ipecac.com/tours
May 6  Dallas, TX  House of Blues
May 7  Austin, TX  Emo’s
May 8  Houston, TX  House of Blues
May 11  Atlanta, GA  Tabernacle
May 12  Raleigh, NC  The Ritz
May 14  Nashville, TN  Brooklyn Bowl
May 15  Indianapolis, IN  Egyptian Room
May 19  Minneapolis, MN  First Avenue
ALL TOUR DATES
February 28  Tokyo, JP  Toyosu Pit
February 29  Osaka, JP  Namba Hatch
March 3  Auckland, NZ  Auckland Town Hall +