Author Topic: Federal Employee Pay Freeze  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Hugo_Fuguzev

Federal Employee Pay Freeze
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:19:55 AM »
I could now make more money working as a manager at Wendys.

Are there any other federal employees here pissed about this? At the moment it's 2 years, but there have been talks in congress about making it 5 years. If that happens I will quit the job I've had since graduating from high school and go into the private sector.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Federal Employee Pay Freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:44:06 AM »
Well, in all fairness, this is happeneing in the private sector also.  Before I got laid off from my company of 12+ years I didn't recieve a raise in 3 years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:19:55 AM »
Yes, this is extremely common in the private sector. The fact of the matter is that the US government is spending more money than it's making. We can argue all day about cuts they can make, but the fact of the matter is that if they were a private company, they'd likely be having huge layoffs and pay cuts. If you don't like it, all you can do is move on to a new job.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »
Probably 4 years for me (in the private sector).  I'm just thankful to still have a job.

And that's kind of a peculiar first post there, Hugo.  Most people say hi, or Petrucci is God!, or my I&W CD is defective, before venturing into P/R.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:58:33 AM »
At my previous job I made after 5 years exactly the same amount than when I started, all through paycuts that offset merit increases. Don't think a lot of federal employees can say that.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »
That's because it isn't his first post.  Is it, "hugo?"

Disappear? TheTerminator? JRT?

JOBE?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:45:36 AM »
That's because it isn't his first post.  Is it, "hugo?"

Disappear? TheTerminator? JRT?

JOBE?!
Holy shit, if Jobe actually worked for Uncle Sammy, I think it'd create some kind of singularity that would wipe out all of existence. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
There's a pay freeze where I work too, and it's private sector.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
Yeah, sorry "Hugo" but you're not gonna get much sympathy here.  The recession hits everybody, some pretty hard.  With 1 in 10 people (depending, obviously) unemployed, you're complaining that you don't get a raise?  You should be glad you still have a job.  Government jobs have always been looked at as the sweet gig by those of us in the private sector.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
I could now make more money working as a manager at Wendys.
Do it. French fries dipped in frosties are better for the world than whatever service your current employer provides. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
Eh, you don't even know what he does.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
Eh, you don't even know what he does.

rumborak

No. But I am familiar with the tasty combination of Wendy's frosties and golden French fries. There's little better than such a treat.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »

And yeah, Jobe would never work for the government... unless Ron Paul asks him to which in that case would be awesome. I guess.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »

And yeah, Jobe would never work for the government... unless Ron Paul asks him to which in that case would be awesome. I guess.
I can't say for sure, but since Jobe is one of the more cynical libertarians I know, I suspect he'd do Uncle's bidding for a decent salary and retirement.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 07:12:11 AM »
I miss Jobe :(

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
Yeah, sorry "Hugo" but you're not gonna get much sympathy here.  The recession hits everybody, some pretty hard.  With 1 in 10 people (depending, obviously) unemployed, you're complaining that you don't get a raise?  You should be glad you still have a job.  Government jobs have always been looked at as the sweet gig by those of us in the private sector.
This.  Sorry, buddy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hugo_Fuguzev

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 11:43:57 PM »
I was not looking for sympathy. I just wanted to see if there were other federal employees here that wanted to bitch about it with me.

The recession is so bad and the economy is so fucked I can't even get a blow job.

But hey, we sure have no problem helping pay for aid to other countries, funding a war, and flexing our muscles.

GO USA.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »
I was not looking for sympathy. I just wanted to see if there were other federal employees here that wanted to bitch about it with me.

The recession is so bad and the economy is so fucked I can't even get a blow job.

But hey, we sure have no problem helping pay for aid to other countries, funding a war, and flexing our muscles.

GO USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 12:37:43 AM »
Speaking as a neutral outsider, the US Government is likely freezing public sector pay because of their "austerity" program (neoclassical response to a fiscal crisis, we won't go there with the neoclassical vs Keynesian approach to fiscal policy; a new thread might do the trick though). Like most of the other posters have said at least you have a job :tup

As a side note, if all of you guys have had pay freezes for a number of years, where does the Fed realistically think that inflation is going to go? They need it to go up, so order a mandatory wage increase this year? That's just a thought bubble btw not something I had considered until 1 minute ago :loser:
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations