Author Topic: Please help me pick out a new amp.  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Kornflake

Please help me pick out a new amp.
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
I have been playing a Fender Ultimate Chorus from the mid 90's since the mid 90's now and I've never really loved it....hardly liked it even.  It's a 2x12 that's really loud, but the tone on the clean channel is weak and the drive channel sounds like barf.  It's solid state, and I've really been wanting a tube amp for some time now.  They seem to have a more robust sound and I love the sound you get when it just starts to distort your clean tone a little bit.
So, I've looked at a few amps but I am certainly no expert.  That's where you guys come in.

So my price range is up to about $1,000 and I'd need it to be loud enough to play some shows (just clubs in the area and stuff, not huge arenas or anything - a 2x12 or something would be more than enough).  I'd like to have an effects loop and a footswitchable drive/clean channel also.  Self Biasing would be nice too, but that might be hard to find at $1,000 no?
I have been getting away from playing heavier music and am more into classic rock, blues, a little ambient...that kind of stuff so I dont' need something super heavy.

I like the Vox AC30C2 and I've been seriously considering that one. Both channels on it sound great, but you have to plug into each one separately so you can't switch with a footswitch, you have to physically plug into a separate input  :(

Anyone got any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate some input.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Re: Please help me pick out a new amp.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA

Check that out, great amp, works well for the style of music you will be doing, will do you well for playing the small clubs and it's a great price!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
https://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-valve-king-212/5201

Link to gak also for you there.  :)

Offline Basekick

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »
I wouldn't say that the Valveking is the perfect choice here.  A little too much mid range sound and not enough vintage tone.  More of a modern sound than say a Fender or Vox.

A Vox AC30 would be a great choice if you ask me.  Great classic rock tone, and while there is no direct foortswitch, you would be able to make it footswitchable by getting a pedal that connects to both inputs, and switches between each input (and extra cable yes, but totally worth it).

I'd also consider a Blues Deluxe or a Bassman, as those can get you great clean tones, but can also footswitch into a nice drive channel.  Maybe also consider a Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville if you want more of a drive.  The only problem with Fenders is that you'll be fighting with the volume controls a lot if you're looking for a bedroom volume.  It goes from super quiet to super loud really quickly around the 1-2 notches on the dial.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline TheCor

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:26:28 AM »
From experience I would say a Line 6 SpiderValve combo is worth checking out.  I have the 40w 1x12 one and it's done a decent job for classic rock, blues, and country.  I bought it with the intent of using it as a simplified all-in-one alternative to my half-stack/rack/pedalboard rig I use for bigger gigs.  Despite their claims of it being an all tube amp, it still has a digital preamp which then runs through some 12AX7's and a 6L6 power section. Comes stock with a Celestion V30.  Due to the digital modeling preamp, it is capable of a wide variety of tones, though none are quite as good as the amps they are modeled after.  The on board effects are kinda lame but I don't use them whole lot so they are good enough, it does have an effects loop.  It also has a very drastic volume difference in the low end of the volume control and it is unbelievably loud.  I used it at an outdoor gig with the volume at about 10 o'clock and was told to turn it down.  You have to get a separate foot controller for it and it has to be one of the Line 6 controllers as it is not midi controllable; I bought the FBV Express controller at first and it's pretty much a POS, I'd get the FBV Shortboard right away as it's much more durable and offers lots more control options.  The amp plus the controller would run in the neighborhood of $900.  EDIT:  Just checked musician's friend and it says the new model (the MKII, I have the older one) has an upgraded effects section and is MIDI controllable, sounds cool...

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I'll have to check those out on the youtube and read up on them when i get home

Offline SirVoltage

• DTF secret member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
I can't recommend Blackstar amps enough, although I don't know how accessible they are in the US.

Any of the amps from their HT Venue series would be a great choice, based on the styles you play and the features you want.

Also, they are solidly built and sound great.

Offline jfwund

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
I love my Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50, which I bought used for $900. Voiced very nicely for blues/classic rock, and the clean channel is gorgeous. I mostly play it on the 5 watt setting, and it sounds great!
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
you should check out the peavy delta blues i think there is 2x12 option i have one of these great clean tone and a realy nice classic rock/blues tone :hat
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I found an Egnater Renegade 2x12 combo today at a shop near my house for $900 CDN. I am now the proud owner of this amp.  I LOVE it!  It's got 2 6L6 tubes and 2 EL34 with a "tube blend" knob on each channel that lets you chose how much of each tube you want to use.  It's really cool.  Also has 2 master volumes, the 2nd one is a footswitchable boost for both channels.  Separate reverbs for each channel, also footswitchable, and they have a "spill over" where if you change from one channel to the other, the reverb doesn't just cut out, it trails off naturally.  The footswitch has an effect loop on/off also and the reverb, boost, and effect loop toggles also have the ability to be assigned to channel 1, channel 2 or both.
...I just got it today so I'm still playing around with it, and still discovering the capabilities so there's probably even more to it than what I mentioned above.  Maybe it's just the honeymoon phase and I'll change my mind in a few weeks, but I don't think that'll happen. I am very happy with it and if you get a chance to check one of these out, do it.
Thanks again to everyone for the input.  I appreciate it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 10:17:47 PM »
Glad to hear. I was gonna recommend the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe myself but like Basekick pointed out the volumes a bit of a nuisance.

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
I found a Fender Hot Rod Deville last week for $500 and was real close to buying that one because of the price, but I wasn't completely crazy about it, I was more just excited about the deal I'd be getting rather than the actual amp.  I'm glad I waited, because I'm loving the Egnater.  I can get some nice Fender-like bluesy tones out of it like with the Hot Rod, but I also get some real nice Voxy overdrives too.  I'm not convinced that the Tube Mix on the Egnater does very much yet, but I still haven't had a chance to really crank the volume and gain so maybe I'll hear it then?
Anyways, again, thanks for all the input.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 01:16:50 PM »
Ty Tabor (King's X, The Jelly Jam, Platypus) uses Egnater stuff these days, and he's always had a really unique tone. I've never actually tried any of their amps, though.