Author Topic: The Israel Discussion Thread  (Read 76350 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Israel Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
For rock music maybe but Israel is a lead in electronic music.
In 1997 I saw a Dana International music video on MTV when I was in Egypt and got a boner.
In 1998 Larry King interviewed her and I learned a fact that shocked me so deep I can never trust an Israeli musician again :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »
For rock music maybe but Israel is a lead in electronic music.
In 1997 I saw a Dana International on MTV when I was in Egypt and got a boner.
In 1998 Larry King interviewed her and I learned a fact that shocked me so deep I can never trust an Israeli musician again :lol

Yup I mean rock music. Israel is crazy horrible at that, not sure why, maybe it's because all the potential rockers have become rabbis or soldiers.

Damn even Iraq has a heavy metal scene that's worth mentioning.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
Which was first?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
Also, I found out the other day that I can't go to my Israel study abroad trip because I, as an israeli citizen, am banned from almost all Palestinian territories. I guess that's one part they neglect to mention when discussing checkpoints.

I was wondering about this. It seems weird that all Israelis would be barred since there are a good number of Palestinian Israelis. Any online sources for this?

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2011, 05:52:25 PM »
Also, I found out the other day that I can't go to my Israel study abroad trip because I, as an israeli citizen, am banned from almost all Palestinian territories. I guess that's one part they neglect to mention when discussing checkpoints.

I was wondering about this. It seems weird that all Israelis would be barred since there are a good number of Palestinian Israelis. Any online sources for this?

It's the law, just google it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

Wait, really?  Is there anything online worth hearing?  For some reason Iraqi heavy metal music seems worth hearing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »

Wait, really?  Is there anything online worth hearing?  For some reason Iraqi heavy metal music seems worth hearing.

Honestly I have no idea. But I'm pretty sure there's a documentary about it.

EDIT: Here it is. https://www.heavymetalinbaghdad.com/about.html
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2011, 06:05:37 PM »
Ask the PA. All non military or celebrity Israeli citizens are banned from places like Bethleham and Rhamallah. I only checked on those two since that's where we'd be going, but I have a feeling most of the west bank is similar.

Apparently this is Israeli law, not PA law.

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »
Ask the PA. All non military or celebrity Israeli citizens are banned from places like Bethleham and Rhamallah. I only checked on those two since that's where we'd be going, but I have a feeling most of the west bank is similar.

Apparently this is Israeli law, not PA law.

Israeli law regarding Israeli checkpoints, PA law regarding Palestinian check points.

And I can't pass through Israeli checkpoints into Rahamalla because then I'll be identified as Israeli and there's a very high chance I will be shot, stoned to death or beaten to death.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
If you really wanted to, you could probably just show your U.S. passport and get through with no trouble. When I went into Bethlehem through the main check point they didn't even check passports, neither going in or going out. As long as you don't look Arab they're pretty lax. Not sure about Rhamallah though.

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
If you really wanted to, you could probably just show your U.S. passport and get through with no trouble. When I went into Bethlehem through the main check point they didn't even check passports, neither going in or going out. As long as you don't look Arab they're pretty lax. Not sure about Rhamallah though.

My American passport also identifies me as Israel, no go. And while you're right that there's a chance they won't ask for passports, I'd be going with a group. So if for some reason they DID ask for passports, it would screw things up for the rest of the group, and that's not worth the risk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »
One thing I wish I had known before I went to Israel is that I could get my stamp on a separate attached paper that could be removed after leaving so that I wouldn't be banned from a bunch of countries :/

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
One thing I wish I had known before I went to Israel is that I could get my stamp on a separate attached paper that could be removed after leaving so that I wouldn't be banned from a bunch of countries :/

Huh, I didn't know you could do that either, not that it would affect my situation.

But isn't it awesome how many countries ban that? Lovely world.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
I know, srsly, what the point even if Mossad agents can just get in with European passports.

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »
I know, srsly, what the point even if Mossad agents can just get in with European passports.

They have no intention of keeping out Mossad. Every country is aware that Mossad will do what they do when they want to, (luckily they haven't in a very long time). The banning of Israelis is a statement against Israelies, not Mossad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »
Europe bans Israelis?

@ barto: Well I've moderated my views considerably so that Adami and I can at least form a coalition of sorts. :laugh: I do believe in a two-state solution and that there are problems in both countries but I find a good deal of criticism of Israel on an individual basis to be a bit unfair and as part of a double-standard, and that's why I often collude with Adami.

By the way Adami, do you like Aviv Geffen or Eifo HaYeled? I don't think Israeli rock is bad at all, I love both of those and HaYehudim on occasion.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
My favorite Israeli band has to be Melechesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5D0A-YHxg

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
Europe bans Israelis?

@ barto: Well I've moderated my views considerably so that Adami and I can at least form a coalition of sorts. :laugh: I do believe in a two-state solution and that there are problems in both countries but I find a good deal of criticism of Israel on an individual basis to be a bit unfair and as part of a double-standard, and that's why I often collude with Adami.

By the way Adami, do you like Aviv Geffen or Eifo HaYeled? I don't think Israeli rock is bad at all, I love both of those and HaYehudim on occasion.

European countries don't ban Israelis, just middle eastern, African and Asian countries (and just some, not all).

And I've never heard of either of those bands. I want to stand firm in my opinion that Israeli rock is terrible (until I make it big) so I will ignore those recommendations in fear that it might change my opinion. :-D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2011, 07:07:17 AM »
How have you not heard of Aviv Geffen?  Or are you just being sarcastic?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
Well, I'd say in my ideal world there are no countries. So, hard to say whether I'd go for Israel or not.

What's up with this?
https://english.aljazeera.net/video/middleeast/2011/04/2011417101015775554.html

Online Adami

« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2011, 10:43:56 AM »
Well, I'd say in my ideal world there are no countries. So, hard to say whether I'd go for Israel or not.

What's up with this?
https://english.aljazeera.net/video/middleeast/2011/04/2011417101015775554.html

I couldn't watch the video with sound at the moment, but without sound it looked like some kind of prison riot that the troops were responding to. Is that about right? Or were the soldiers just going into a calm prison and starting to shoot everyone?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
From what I can ascertain, the Israelis launched a "surprise inspection" raid at two in the morning and a riot ensued.  One person was killed.  I saw several people in that video (no sound here, either) with gunshot wounds to the extremities, so I'd have to say that the Israelis seemed to have exercised some actual restraint.  You don't shoot somebody in the calf if you're actually trying to kill him. 

I'd be willing to bet that there are a ton of more egregious issues with Israel's detention of political prisoners that merit some outcry.  It would seem that a disproportional number of Palestinian prisoners wind up dead in Israel's custody.  Certainly a bigger reason for concern than 1 dead from the suppression of a prison riot. 

Something that's annoying as all fuck is the difficulty in finding legitimate info about the goings on over there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »
As a general rule, I don't trust Al Jazeera so you'll have to take that up with Adami.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2011, 06:04:30 PM »
As a general rule, I don't trust Al Jazeera so you'll have to take that up with Adami.

Why not?

Online Adami

« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »

Despite how bias they are, they're actually a pretty decent place to get news. Al Jazeera is one of the few agencies who will report on things that happen in gaza and the west bank that isn't Israels fault.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »

Despite how bias they are, they're actually a pretty decent place to get news. Al Jazeera is one of the few agencies who will report on things that happen in gaza and the west bank that isn't Israels fault.

Alright I won't begrudge them that, but they did say some pretty nasty (untrue) stuff during the Hezbollah War of '06.

Online Adami

« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
Everyone did.

That whole war was basically a very calculated PR campaign by Hezbollah to ensure political take over.

And boy did it work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2011, 06:10:27 AM »
So the Palestinian state is going to happen, according to Haaretz.  I am pro the two-state solution, but happening like this will be very harmful to Israel.  Makes me wish something had actually happened at the bargaining table late last year.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2011, 11:34:03 AM »
Neither side will ever win...

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
Yes, but this UN sanctioning could be particularly bad for Israel, especially because it means Palestine gets a seat on the UN Council by default.  That means the UN finally has the right of way to try Israel for war crimes for the past 40 years, both real and imagined.

Online Adami

« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »
Yes, but this UN sanctioning could be particularly bad for Israel, especially because it means Palestine gets a seat on the UN Council by default.  That means the UN finally has the right of way to try Israel for war crimes for the past 40 years, both real and imagined.

Will the palestinians get tried for war crimes?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »

I don't think so.  Is this a loaded question?

Online Adami

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »

I don't think so.  Is this a loaded question?

Why would it be a loaded question? I just don't see why the Palestinian governments won't be held accountable for their actions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
Probably because of the composition of said UN Council. :P