Poll

SFAM

Love
112 (93.3%)
No Love
8 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author Topic: Scenes From a Memory - Lets show some love?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: Scenes From a Memory - Lets show some love?
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
I used to love it and still enjoy it to a great extent. But in the last few years I've probably listened to it only 3 or 4 times. I don't think it aged well with me because I was never a big fan of the concept. It's probably around the bottom 3 for me now. But that doesn't mean I hate it or even dislike it by any means.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Also, when I read the title of this thread, I got really excited at first because I thought it was an update of the Scenes From My Memory thread :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 07:27:40 AM »
I&W has LTL, Metropolis, UAGM solo.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 07:55:49 AM »
My favorite album of all time... of all time! An enormous achievement of musical talent and creativity. I still remember the first time I listened to the tic tic tic tic Close your eyes and begin to relax...

This exactly.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:03 AM »
Probably #1 or #2 in terms of album rankings for me.  Of all time!  Brilliant album!  :)  ;D

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »
My favourite albums in order of top 3:

#1: Images and Words
#2: Systematic Chaos (Sorry, I love it!)
#3: Scenes From a Memory

:(
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 09:25:16 AM »
Scenes is most likely my second favourite Dream Theater album (after Images and Words). I remember for the longest time I just couldn't get into it. It was my second DT album I bought after Awake, and I found the thing to be pretty overwhelming. Then once I got Images and Words and got into that (and Metropolis in particular) the pieces began to sort of fall into place and Scenes "clicked".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:08:26 PM by SeventhSon »

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
No, Awake is my favorite album.

:-X

Offline BanksD

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Definitely my favorite of DT's albums. Octavarium and Images being #'s 2 & 3 respectively.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
SFAM has the dubious distinction of having been played several times per day,  over the span of several months. No other album ever achieved that.
In my book it marked the peak of their career. Because, LSFNY is hands-down their best live DVD too, even despite the seizure-inducing stuff.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
I agree with that. People seem to love concept albums more than "regular" albums just for the fact that it's a concept album. I don't think I'll ever understand that.
For me, it's kind of a bonus to the album if it's done well, a thing where it makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

On the other hand, if it's not done well, it makes the whole less than the sum of its parts.   :P

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
1A) Awake
1B) Images and Words
3) Scenes From a Memory
4) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Offline SDFprowler

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »
When I listen to music, I like listening to whole albums at a time in order.  Because of that, albums just seem that much more special to me.  Concept albums are often amazing, but I don't necessarily prefer them.  It's cool to be able to get drawn into a story that lasts an entire album, but there are also albums that have the same effect that are just a random assortment of songs, and if I listen to them out of order it just seems.. weird :P

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

one out of how many posted in this thread?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 07:09:59 PM »
Where is the Kevin Moore option?  :neverusethis:

It's not a real DTF pool without a KM option.

SFAM is probably #4 for me.  I&W and Awake are 1 and 2, and 6DoIT has been getting more listens the past few years for me.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »
it wasn't.

It's a great album for sure, but is only 3rd at best for me, behind Images & Words and Awake.
Same for me 1. I&W 2. Awake 3. SFAM
Amazing album and a very interesting concept

When I listen to music, I like listening to whole albums at a time in order.  Because of that, albums just seem that much more special to me.  Concept albums are often amazing, but I don't necessarily prefer them.  It's cool to be able to get drawn into a story that lasts an entire album, but there are also albums that have the same effect that are just a random assortment of songs, and if I listen to them out of order it just seems.. weird :P
I've been starting to do this a lot more now and I know exactly what you mean. It just makes the music that much better, Especially for DT. An album like SFAM must be listened to from start to finish for me. I occasionally do cherry pick through albums, but that is only if I am in dire need to listen to a song like Learning to Live or Scarred because they are at the end of their respective albums. And quite frankly, sometimes I just refuse to wait for them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:28:29 PM by pmahoney1337 »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:52 PM »
People really enjoy the story? It's always struck me as very lackluster and simple. Granted the source material a bit odd but they could've done something more interesting with it.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »
People really enjoy the story? It's always struck me as very lackluster and simple. Granted the source material a bit odd but they could've done something more interesting with it.
I agree they definitely could've done better with it, but it is a solid plot with an interesting twist.

EDIT: What do you mean by "the source material", is the story based off something or am I just misunderstanding you? I did not know it was based on anything if it was.

Offline Syncamorea

• Onward thru the fog!
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
I put Scenes in the top third, along with I&W and 6 Degrees.  My day to day, week to week and month to month experiences listening to DT are highly variable, so I don't worry too much about hyper-ranking their music.  for example, after a particularly tough day at work, I might not have the energy to focus that my ear/brain requires for 6 Degrees, so I might not appreciate it as much as I do when I'm fresh and loaded to the gills on my morning caffeine buzz.
Music is the BEST!  FZ

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
1.- Awake
2.- 6DOIT
3.- I&W
4.- Scenes From a Memory or Falling Into Infinity on a good day.

YEP.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
I'm not as high on SFAM as most of you are. I dig some songs, sure. It's an ok album. But if you compare it to something like Mindcrime, The Wall, etc., in terms of being a "great concept album," I just don't hear it. The story is fairly boring. And I hate the circus act keyboards. Drives me nuts.

But again, that latter thing is just something I don't enjoy in general.

Anyway, not a "hater" of SFAM, but not an album I usually pick to listen to from DT.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »
Does anyone else wish the band hadn't been so forthcoming with every little thing about the story, including the ending?  I remember when this came out, part of the fun for me and several friends was trying to decipher the story down to exactly what happened, and then the LSFNY DVD comes out and they pretty much spell it out for everyone, in great detail, which I think took some of the mystique and fun out of it. 

Offline snowdog

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
I agree they definitely could've done better with it, but it is a solid plot with an interesting twist.

EDIT: What do you mean by "the source material", is the story based off something or am I just misunderstanding you? I did not know it was based on anything if it was.
He is probably referring to Dead Again which was definitely an inspiration for their story.  I personally like the movie.  When I read the lyrics when the album was released I figured Dead Again was the inspiration behind the story and I'm pretty sure Mike stated it was.

As for me Awake and I&W rank higher than this album.  It's still an awesome album though.  And I did listen to it non-stop when it was released

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »
I was referring to Metropolis Part 1. I think the characters were named Miracle and Sleeper along with some other stuff as well as their more normal names.

Offline jsem

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »

one out of how many posted in this thread?
My motivation why I&W was better than SFAM to a previous poster.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
Whats not to love?

Offline Finally Tree

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »
SFAM is a masterpiece, IMO. This is the album that got me into DT. Of course there are some things that I don't really like about it (the concept, Regression, 9:30 onwards in Finally Free) and sometimes I feel that the need to continue telling the story can get in the way of the song. But overall, It's probably my favourite DT album.

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »
This album used to be my favorite and it got me into DT, but I got a little with bored with it as the time flew. Probably i have listened to it a bit too often. Still it's a great album, i just like Awake and I&W more now.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
Does anyone else wish the band hadn't been so forthcoming with every little thing about the story, including the ending?  I remember when this came out, part of the fun for me and several friends was trying to decipher the story down to exactly what happened, and then the LSFNY DVD comes out and they pretty much spell it out for everyone, in great detail, which I think took some of the mystique and fun out of it. 

yeah I wish they hadn't been so forthcoming with the videos showing the Miracle faking the suicide plot by shooting his brother in the guts. Who commits suicide like that?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
It ranks 3rd for me after Awake and I&W.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »
The album that got me into DT.  Now, its third behind Images and Six Degrees.

And my "d***" good reason for why I like Images better?  Images has 8 straight amazing songs with no flaws.  Scenes has some bits of BtL and TDOE that don't really hold my interest, though the rest of it is very good.  Its amazing when I listen to it, but not as amazing as listening through I&W or 6DoiT.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »
It was the first CD with DT that I thought was very progressive.  Loves of love for this CD.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »
SFAM is definitely in my Top 5 DT albums (next to Images And Words, Awake, Octavarium, and maybe Black Clouds &Silver Linings). It was one of the first DT albums I've ever listened to, and I fell in love with the music and the concept.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »
I listened to the whole album yesterday after long time and then I watched Scenes From A New York with audio commentary today and it really reminded me how awesome this album actually is

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »

loser.

bosky, forgive me, but you know he had it coming.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek