Author Topic: Bible in a Year! v. February  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Bible in a Year! v. February
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
I'm excited about Numbers because it gives me extra perspective on what the authoor of Hebrews is referring to.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
I'm excited about Numbers because it gives me extra perspective on what the authoor of Hebrews is referring to.
Which part of Hebrews?  I haven't read that one in a while.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »
The wandering in the wilderness stuff that Hebrews uses as an analogy for the audience of Hebrews.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 06:36:16 AM »
OK, in today's reading from Numbers (chapters 5-6), we have rules for separation of the unclean, restitution for sin, the jealousy ordeal, and then chapter 6 details the vow of the Nazirite.  Interestingly, I have read some research which indicates that James the brother of Jesus may have taken such a Nazirite vow, but that is neither here nor there for the purposes of this study.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »
I'm a few days behind reading the bible in chronological order but I just finished Exodus. Man, that latter half was a huge drag to read through.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
I'm about a week behind or so.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
Spent about an hour this morning catching up... not exactly the best material for a bulk reading...

But let's not give up guys!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:48 PM »
I've been trying to read about an hour a day....it's picking up.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
The people would've needed a bunch of animals to be able to keep up with the sacrifices.  It's almost an animal per day. sheesh

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »
Yes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
Well, that's it for Numbers.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »
Well, that's it for Numbers.
We've decided to sacrifice him to DT for the new drummer's name?  That's like, two birds with one stone.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
No, we're talking about numbers. Not letters.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 09:57:11 AM »
No, we're talking about numbers. Not letters.
Whichever.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »
The people would've needed a bunch of animals to be able to keep up with the sacrifices.  It's almost an animal per day. sheesh

The sheer number of sacrifices is incredible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 06:37:41 AM »
And with today's reading, we begin Deuteronomy.  Deuteronomy is both the last book of the Torah/Pentateuch and the first book of the Deuteronomistic History (which includes Joshua, Judges, the books of Samuel, and the books of Kings).  The word "Deuteronomy" means, of course, "second law."

A lot of recap in these first two chapters.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »
Well...I finished Exodus.  :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2011, 06:41:24 AM »
You've got some catching up to do.  :flee:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:34 AM »
It's interesting to see how important a passage like Deuteronomy 3 has been for world geography, and notably, Middle Eastern politics in the last century.  Talk about lasting influence.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2011, 12:45:52 AM »
I'll be away for a week or so. When I get back, I'll start catching up. Or maybe I'll just skip Deuteronomy.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:37 AM »

Kind of random, but does anybody know when the book of Hebrews was named "Hebrews" and how it got that name instead of "Jews"?

wtf is the internet?

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »

Kind of random, but does anybody know when the book of Hebrews was named "Hebrews" and how it got that name instead of "Jews"?

hmm, never thought about it.  the title of Jews as hebrews is only used 3 other times in NT, so it wasn't a totally common title it would seem at the time

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »

hmm, never thought about it.  the title of Jews as hebrews is only used 3 other times in NT, so it wasn't a totally common title it would seem at the time

Are you saying that the word "Jews" is only used 3 times in the NT? In my mind, "Jew" is a title that was born after the Exile when all but most of the tribes except Judah were dispersed. If its the case that the book of Hebrews makes a lot of reference to the ancient Hebrews, then I guess that name is understandable.

wtf is the internet?

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »
no, other way around.  off the top of my head I couldn't think of any references to Jews as hebrews and so my initial thought is that the title was given later, but when I did a search I found three references.  so, back to where I started  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
Well, scholars are pretty sure that there was a reference in Acts where Paul when Paul was collecting money for the Jews in Jerusalem, he told the Jews in Ephesus:  "Give me your Jew gold, nao!"  But it was later edited out by later scribes.  At least, that's what I was always taught.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
I'm like a week behind on the readings, gotta catch up.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
So I've been listening to the audio Bible version of Leviticus to keep myself both entertained and focused.  I've been using Bible Gateway, and the reader is a guy named Max McLean.  He has this extremely dramatic British voice and speaks really slowly, but it's awesome.   :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »
Finished Leviticus.  :tup

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »
congrats, that is quite a feat.  I am in early Joshua now, and everything after Lev is great!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
...everything after Lev is great!

Numbers 7?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
everything after Lev is great!
I wouldn't go that far.  But most things are certainly better than Leviticus.