Author Topic: Someone Forgot to Tell Me About the Awake Wikipedia Article  (Read 2037 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Someone Forgot to Tell Me About the Awake Wikipedia Article
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
I just visited the Awake Wikipedia article and it's friggin' massive. It's got so much good information on it. Really interesting read. The summary at the top needs work though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awake_(Dream_Theater_album)

Might be worth checking out!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:41:44 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline blackngold29

Re: Someone Forgot to Tell Me About the Awake Wikipedia Article
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
I've always felt DT's Wikipedia coverage was pretty low quality for a band whose fanbase has lots of computer geeks in it. I wrote the Systematic Chaos article a while back, so I'm glad to see other articles finally starting to take shape. The one on SFAM is the best explanation I've ever seen of the story.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:30:29 PM »
I've always felt DT needed it's OWN Wikipedia.

There. I said it.

It can be called something silly based on a song-name or album-name... I'm not sure. Either way, it'd be a nice place to contain information about every officially-released album/EP/single/fan-club/YtseJamRecords discs, as well as landmark shows, every person that's ever been involved with DT, instruments, history on songs and albums, and sooooo much more. There's tons of great resources out and around the internet, as well as the Lifting Shadows book and thousands of magazine/radio/internet interviews.

It would just be a nice way to get old information on the band, rather than current and new information that news sites provide.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
I've thought about that too. I edited WP almost every day over a few years and came to the conclusion that most people that create wikis for TV shows or movies would be better off spending the time and effort on WP itself because that's the first place that 90% of people are going to go.

That being said, Dream Theater is a little bigger than a movie. Like you say were every album, song, tour, member, side project, fan club album have its own article it would add up. If there are people dedicated to it though stuff like Star Wars and Lost's wikis have gathered a shitload of info.

Actually, now that I think of it there is one that was started and doesn't get much attention: https://dreamtheater.wikia.com/wiki/Dream_Theater_Wiki (heh, ninjad)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
Yeah, I just noticed that the other day, too. Lots of cool tidbits from Lifting Shadows; a very interesting read.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:17 AM »
I just finished reading it. I really like it, and I'd love to see Lifting Shadows being used as a source for the other articles about DT's releases.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:11 AM »
It needs more info

oh and it should be called Ytse-Pedia
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake