Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 213139 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29
« Reply #1610 on: September 03, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
Hopefully the Corporation arc isn't just a lead in to a big Cena return.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #1611 on: September 03, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
Which would be so incredibly disappointing because this is the chance to elevate some of the midcard to the top.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1612 on: September 03, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
Big Show needs to stop being a big bitch. Whoever told him to cry like that should be fired. I know he's going to end up KOing HHH, but in the mean time he shouldn't cry like that. He's freaking Big Show.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1613 on: September 03, 2013, 11:20:23 PM »
Well Shane McMahon just stepped down as CEO of his company in China. I'm hoping that means he's coming back to team up with Vince to battle HHH and Stephanie for control of the company.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: September 04, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »
Big Show needs to stop being a big bitch. Whoever told him to cry like that should be fired. I know he's going to end up KOing HHH, but in the mean time he shouldn't cry like that. He's freaking Big Show.

Big Show has always had that trick up his sleeve. I'll never forget how he cried to put over being thrown into the Punjabi Prison match with the Undertaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7idN_lz22nY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1615 on: September 04, 2013, 09:12:47 AM »
I am sure they are setting this up for the eventual payoff of Bryan winning the title back, but ending RAW essentially the same way three weeks in a row is getting really old, really fast.  This isn't 1989 anymore, where you can do a slow burn, so if they aren't careful, they are gonna kill Bryan's momentum.  And we all know how much HHH loves to bury people.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1616 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:04 AM »
Bryan is getting the biggest push of his career. he's nowhere near being buried.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1617 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
Bryan is getting the biggest push of his career. he's nowhere near being buried.
Yeah apparently him not beating up 4 people by himself like he's The Undertaker is being buried :lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #1618 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
Although they need a different end to Raw this time because Bryan getting beat down and heels victorious is getting old considering it happens on Smackdown too.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1619 on: September 04, 2013, 08:00:04 PM »
Bryan's not getting buried, they're probably building up to a Show/Bryan/Zig/Cody/Someone else vs HHH/Orton/The Shield for Survivor Series.

Speaking of which, can we move on from the "traditional SS match"?? MitB is a much more interesting concept.

Also: OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMOMG BOUGHT MY TICKET TO SEE STING OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1620 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:48 AM »
The problem with the Bryan story is the same one that wound up biting the NWO angle in the ass back in the day in WCW. It was one that McMahon seemingly learned from during the Austin/McMahon feud, but seems to have forgotten.

Namely, the heels always win.

A well written angle will see the hero overcoming the odds, but he'll do it by occasionally, actually, overcoming them. Even getting a moral victory every once and a while. Steve Austin would occasionally get his ass kicked, but the next Raw would see him come out and one up McMahon in some way. This is not what's happening here. What's happening here is the kind of thing that makes wrestling fans say "oh, for fuck's sake" and turn off the TV. Steve Austin overcame the odds, but they were odds he COULD overcome. This is being booked as "no matter what happens, Bryan will get his ass kicked by the Shield while authority figures stand around and make sure no one can do anything about it, after an episode of the show where highlights of the exact same thing happening on the PREVIOUS show are played."

People will stop caring about Bryan if two times a week, the show ends with the Shield triple power bombing him while HHH and Steph throw their vaguely defined authority around to keep people from interfering. The Austin angle slow burned to the point where Vince lost his mind and started throwing armies at Austin. This angle is the Austin one set to overdrive, and, worse, it's not just making Bryan look bad, it's making everyone else look bad. The entire roster looks bad for not marching down to ringside and beating the shit out of everyone, because you can't fire ALL of them. HHH looks bad because he's once again sticking his nose into the hot angle of the year. The Shield looks bad because they went from the unstoppable wrecking crew destroying EVERYONE they faced into HHH's flunkies. Orton looks bad because he needs the entirety of the WWE to do his dirty work to keep Bryan off him.

WWE has been stuck in a rut since 2001, creatively. If they'd had competition, the endless run of angles designed to be the new Austin/McMahon would have killed them stone dead. Raw basically looks like it did in 1998, still has an overrun because it did when it was against Raw, and is in terminal doldrums. Angles like this don't make people tune in these days, they make them tune out.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1621 on: September 05, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »
Exactly, Jaq.  No one is looking good with the way this angle is being booked. 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: September 05, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »
didn't the WWE have an angle about Show having an iron clad contract whereas he can't be fired ( John Laurenitis sp) , i've missed the last few Raws, so how is he becoming their flunky?
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1623 on: September 05, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »
didn't the WWE have an angle about Show having an iron clad contract whereas he can't be fired ( John Laurenitis sp) , i've missed the last few Raws, so how is he becoming their flunky?

They mention his contract, but I think they just like to see him cry cause he does it so well.

Oh, and they're idiots.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1624 on: September 05, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »
They've retconned it as it's "iron clad" as long as he does what the person in charge wants lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1625 on: September 10, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
It was good to see Edge again. Shame his acting is still the pits. He only shines when he's in the ring, which is what we're all hoping for but it probably won't happen.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: September 10, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
It was good to see Edge again. Shame his acting is still the pits. He only shines when he's in the ring, which is what we're all hoping for but it probably won't happen.

You mean acting as in Haven or whatever TV show(s) he's been in? Because I have never heard anyone else bash in mic work in the WWE. He was fantastic.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1627 on: September 10, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
Really? Well, you're hearing it now. His mic work is terribly clumsy, awkward, and unconvincing.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: September 10, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
I guess there's a first time for everything.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1629 on: September 10, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
wat is this i dont even

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1630 on: September 10, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »
If Edge's mic work is terrible then what does that make Randy Orton's mic work?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: September 10, 2013, 03:33:57 PM »
I wouldn't go as far as to say that Edge's mic work was terrible, but I never understood the hype, either.  He had his moments of greatness, but for the most part, I always thought he was fairly meh.

Excellent in the ring, though. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1632 on: September 10, 2013, 03:43:24 PM »

WWE has been stuck in a rut since 2001, creatively.

That's about the time I started tuning out.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1633 on: September 10, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
If Edge's mic work is terrible then what does that make Randy Orton's mic work?
I've never heard anyone praise Orton's mic work.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1634 on: September 10, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »
Orton's mic work is HORRIBLE.

Honestly Edge is not awful. But he's not good.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
Orton's mic work is HORRIBLE.

Honestly Edge is not awful. But he's not good.

It's not awful, but it's the pits?

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion... but stick with it.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: September 10, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
I'll express my feelings this way: on the list of good talkers, I rank Edge near the bottom.  Which means he's still a good talker, just not an exceptional one in my eyes.

Orton, on the other hand?  His name's not on the list.  His name is nowhere near the list.  If you're discussing good talkers, Orton has no business being part of the discussion.  I have trouble even calling what Orton does 'mic work' - it's more like a teleprompter collaborating with the Microsoft Speech tool.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: September 10, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
I think Orton's name was brought up to provide an example of someone who's bad at the mic to compare Edge to.

I actually think that Orton is just fine on the mic. His less is more promo cutting fits his character to a T. Not everyone should be out their running their face like the Rock. Not saying Orton's good... but he doesn't have to be.

I don't think that Edge is one of the classic talkers in wrestling, but he is very good.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1638 on: September 10, 2013, 04:47:53 PM »
Orton's mic work was decent when he was a heel. Then he turned babyface and joined the likes of Jack Swagger and Alberto Del Rio in terms of mic work.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1639 on: September 10, 2013, 04:50:36 PM »
I mean, Edge is no Flair/Rock/Jericho/Austin/Punk/Ambrose but he's still pretty damn good!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1640 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
No one can touch Punk on the mic. Not even The Rock.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: September 10, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »
The Rock is certainly in Punk's league.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1642 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »
Punk is pretty good as a talker and pretty good as a wrestler, but I never saw why people consider him a great. He might be the best of the secondary wrestlers but no way is he deserving of the praise he gets these days. I was browsing the wrestling forum and most people thought that Punk was the most complete package in the WWE right now. Lol, no.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: September 10, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
Out of curiosity, who would you consider to be the most complete package in the WWE right now?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1644 on: September 10, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
*in before Cena*