Author Topic: Her Name is Calla (for fans of post-rock/indie folk)  (Read 2954 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Her Name is Calla (for fans of post-rock/indie folk)
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »
I can't believe I missed out on this band's new release in 2010.  I mean, I was amazed instantly. 

This is not at all your generic delay-heavy guitar boring post-rock. 
This is entirely different.  The Quiet Lamb was out in 2010 and it is an amazing album.

https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/The+Union+Into+The+West/3q1wJG?src=5
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:41:10 PM by dtismajesty »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

Re: Her Name is Calla (for fans of post-rock/indie folk)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
Oh, also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4JWl53_m1s

Post-rock, acoustic in a reverb-heavy concrete building with violin and banjo.  How cool is that?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »
I'll check it out tomorrow. I can't do anything fun on this internet, fucking piece of shit.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »
I know the band Calla, but this band I think I've only heard of. But I'll check them out, thanks.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
The Union Into the West is good. It almost reminds me of Revere. Does your friend know them? because I just noticed a friend of mine whose a huge supporter of Revere, also has this Her Name Is Calla album on his rateyourmusic.

In just looking at the track list to The Quiet Lamb, there's a couple lengthly pieces. A 17 minute song called "Condor and River" and then 6 more songs that are between 6 and 8 minutes. Length doesn't necessarily mean a thing, if the music flows, but I can't deny, some Post Rock ends up being so slow and methodical, at best it ends up being mood music.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
The Union Into the West is good. It almost reminds me of Revere. Does your friend know them? because I just noticed a friend of mine whose a huge supporter of Revere, also has this Her Name Is Calla album on his rateyourmusic.

In just looking at the track list to The Quiet Lamb, there's a couple lengthly pieces. A 17 minute song called "Condor and River" and then 6 more songs that are between 6 and 8 minutes. Length doesn't necessarily mean a thing, if the music flows, but I can't deny, some Post Rock ends up being so slow and methodical, at best it ends up being mood music.

I still need to check out Revere.  I was recommended them a little while ago, but accidentally picked up "The Revere" instead.  My friend doesn't know Revere, though, so they're probably not the same person. 

As far as The Quiet Lamb, it is sometimes slow and minimal at times, but very rarely methodical.  It's often very dynamic within one song, instead of the often mundane kind of post-rock song which only repeats the same simple motif and doesn't take it anywhere.  The album also mixes other styles in with the post-rock, including classical, which is a big part of the sound, and folk.  The vocals (which are very, very good and often recall Buckley) tend to help keep the music interesting. 

Also, Condor and River is actually one of the best songs on the album, and the 17 minutes go by very quickly. 

Long Grass is absolutely beautiful in the studio, too. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:27:17 PM by dtismajesty »

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:01 AM »
good band
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »
I just put on Into The West and I was instantly like "woah, what the fuck am I hearing?!". This stuff is great! Are you sure I will be interested in the rest of the album?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »
I just put on Into The West and I was instantly like "woah, what the fuck am I hearing?!". This stuff is great! Are you sure I will be interested in the rest of the album?

Hell to the yes.  Well, Into the West isn't exactly like the rest of the album.  A lot of the album is much more mellow and reserved, but it is lovely.  Absolutely lovely. 

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »
Mellow? I've got it before I even went to get it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
I just heard their debut too.  It was fantastic.

This band is officially one of the greatest bands ever now

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »
Double posting to say that THE QUIET LAMB IS VERY GOOD.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
IT IS VERY GOOD.

It is the perfect album to just lie on the ground and listen to outside, just take it all in.  It's so cool how Long Grass sounds so ambient and atmospheric but uses nothing but acoustic instruments with no reverb or effects.  I think every song on it is the most beautiful song ever made.  Condor and the River is probably my favorite long song ever, the slow crescendos are amazing. 

In short, more people need to here this album. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »
I had 3 discs to check out on Monday. New albums from These Ghosts, Crippled Black Phoenix and the album from this group. I only listened to the 1st couple of tracks and ended up going to lunch after wards. I should be giving The Quiet Lamb a listening or two in the next few days.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 02:04:01 AM »
This is awesome!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
By the way, they are on Bandcamp so anyone could stream their entire catalog for free. 
https://hernameiscalla.bandcamp.com

I didn't know there was a Long Grass EP, either... "The Sleeper" is one strangely amazing song. 

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
Listened to the first 8 tracks of The Quiet Lamb while mindlessly browsing the internet.

Holy shit. Discography being purchased NAO, this band is exactly what I've always wanted from Post Rock.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »
The Quiet Lamb has it's moments, but honestly, much of it is slower paced. I suppose I might liken it to something Godspeed did. But I'm not really sure how much beyond a mood record it'll ever be for me.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »
Listened to the first 8 tracks of The Quiet Lamb while mindlessly browsing the internet.

Holy shit. Discography being purchased NAO, this band is exactly what I've always wanted from Post Rock.

:tup  :tup

The Quiet Lamb has it's moments, but honestly, much of it is slower paced. I suppose I might liken it to something Godspeed did. But I'm not really sure how much beyond a mood record it'll ever be for me.

It is probably more of a mood record.  I can see myself finding most of the slow and mellow moments a bit boring if I'm not in the mood for them, but in the right mood the album is really beautiful. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
Aw, fuck, guys.  New Ep out and it's THE BEST THING EVER

https://hernameiscalla.bandcamp.com/album/maw

HOLY shit just listen to it or something its fucking amazing I swear shit I mean theres that one song thats like 11 minutes but is chilling and atmospheric and never gets boring but thats at the end of the album I wont spoil it lets start with the beginning the first song oh my god that first song its like heavy as in heavier than anything they've ever done but its still got their ethereal atmospheric sound its just brilliant and then the second song oh fucking lord the second song its so lovely its one of the slower folky tunes youd year on The Quiet Lamb its just beautiful I had an erection the whole time and my pants are really soggy kind of disgusting I know hahaha but god damn was it worth it it was so worth it and then the third track fuck it is the most lovely thing ever god damn I cant believe it I wont try to describe it just LISTEN its got so many moods and textures and emotions it takes you to such heights that youd probably wish you could freeze forever at them I mean god damn I wish I could it was just brilliant LISTEN!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 05:42:35 AM »
Downloaded both albums and the new EP, so I'll make sure to check them out as soon as I can. :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »
Bump to say that Maw has some fantastic music on it.  :tup