Author Topic: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND RESULTS!!!!!  (Read 97452 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- First Round -- Deadline Feb 1
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »
Sweet. :tup

I have one metal band up my sleeve and I just don't want anyone to use it. :lol

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
Taking a huge risk here.   This is an artist that I've tried to pimp on here to no avail many times. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »
Fail at not liking the Dear Hunter. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2011, 05:03:30 AM »
To be honest I don't think What it Means to be Alone is the best way of introducing them.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »
Brother H,

What are your thoughts on metal / harsh stuff?  You say you like Opeth, but it doesn't really fit in with the rest of your favorites.

Opeth is a very dynamic band.  I don't get overwhelmed with the heaviness because of all the lightness that comes along with it.  As far as songs that are strictly metal with no fluffyness, I prefer shorter songs, like CM for example.

Just need Space Invader and jsem.  No rush though, I'll probably have to get the results up later tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:20:27 AM by BrotherH »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- Round 2 -- Deadline Feb 2
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
Sent.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
Got everyone's done except for Space Invader.

One thing I'm going to do is add .5's to the point system.  There are some songs that are on the cusp of being one point or another and I want to account for that.

That said, I'm giving dethklok09 and Nic35 +0.5 each for their Round 1 submissions.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »
SENT!
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
Fail at not liking the Dear Hunter. :P

Quoted for truth and reiteration.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
Is it weird that I'm, once again, pretty anxious for the results? The whole "no-prog/non-prog" theme will surely provide some interesting results/submissions this round!

So BrotherH, now that all the Round 2 Submissions have been made, any chance you can give us any idea what Round 3's theme might be, if any?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jsem

« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »
It'll come as he does his writeups. Don't pressure him, he's got 10 songs man..

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »

I know I know, I'm just a bit anxious and impatient lol

Although, I'm pretty surprised at how quickly we're all turning in our submissions! We're all on the ball! Thanks to everyone else participating in this for being so quick! I feel this whole thing will breeze by quicker than BrotherH initially suspected!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jsem

« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
*excited*

:metal

Offline Ħ

« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »

I know I know, I'm just a bit anxious and impatient lol

Although, I'm pretty surprised at how quickly we're all turning in our submissions! We're all on the ball! Thanks to everyone else participating in this for being so quick! I feel this whole thing will breeze by quicker than BrotherH initially suspected!

-Marc.
I know!  At this rate, we'll be done within two weeks!

I've done everybody's writeup but Space Invader's.  No bad submissions so far.  No 1's and only one 2.  I'll post results when I get home from school.

Round 3's theme?  Make me cry.  Literally.  Give me something really sad.  But don't send in submissions yet--I have to clear my inbox.

Offline jsem

« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »
I have the PERFECT sad song.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »
Gonna be hard.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline jsem

« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
I'm almost weeping to my own round 3 submission at this very moment. Tears my heart apart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
I have the PERFECT sad song.

and I have two better ones...unless you are stealing my ideas...GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
It's like playing poker. I like it.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
Round Two Results:

I'm trying to be a neater poster, and I like the way Sigz did his results, so I'm going to model it after his.

2 Points:

Jamesman - MewithoutYou - C-minor - The vocals are different.  They have some cool transitions here and there, and great guitar work like you said.  The lyrics are great, too.  The only thing is, I can’t stand the vocals, xD!   I’m sorry, dude.  I love the rest though… =/

jsem - Toto - Rosanna - Cheesier than Symphony X.  Holy cow.  So bubblegum.  I can barely stand it.  They had some cool little licks, though.   They’re skilled, I’ll give you that.

3 Points:

dethklok09 - Dulce Maria - Inevitable - I haven’t delved very much into artists that use non-English lyrics.  I looked up Dulce on Wikipedia and she’s pretty cute.   I haven’t delved much into pop either, but this is a very fun song.  It’s cool, and a cute little song.

Nic35 - Mutiny Within - Falling Forever - A very driving song.  A great singer, like you said.  I was about to say that it sounds a bit like WWE music, and I saw on Wikipedia that they actually wrote a theme song for WWE superstar, xD.   I don’t mind these types of songs at all.  I don’t hunt them down or anything, but I sure don’t mind them.

DTVT - Radiohead - Paranoid Android - I have heard a lot about Radiohead.  Very creative song.  Very...Muse-ish, I guess.  Not a fan of the vocals but they are tolerable.  Very creative though, lots of different colors.  If vocals were better I’d give you a 4.

3.5 Points:

The Letter M - Victor Wooten - Zenergy - Like you said in your description, this is a very…different kind of song.  Reminds me of the Dregs a little bit.  But definitely very creative.  In a way it sounds like a mix of Asian, jazz, and country or something.  I can’t put my finger on it, but I like it!  Drumming is astounding, too.  But overall, a very relaxed, coffee-shop tune, in a sense.  I quite enjoyed it.

dtismajesty - Susanne Sundfør - Knight of Noir - You’ve been making quite a campaign for her recently! :lol  And with good reason.  I listened to Black Widow a short while ago.  She has a great voice.  The song is weird though…it’s very creepy.  I like her, though…very pretty!

4 Points:

73109 - Boston - Peace of Mind - I have listened to a little bit of Boston, and they are one of the bands on my checklist.  I really like them.  Very catchy, like you said.  Their self-titled album, which this song is from, is one that I need to listen to one of these days.  Good submission!

hefdaddy42 - 10 Years - Through the Iris - I love the heavy/light dynamic.  The chorus is great too.  Dang, the whole song is great.  The slowed-down section from the middle to the end is quite magical.  I really enjoyed this.

Space Invader - Thrice - Circles - Heard great things about this band, so my expectations were high.    This song is very soothing and peaceful.  Perfect at the end of a long day--you're lucky because I had a long day.  I usually don’t go too crazy over alt rock but I really enjoy the ballads.  You could have sent this for Round 3’s theme, and done well, too.  Very nice song.

Score:

hefdaddy42 - 8
The Letter M - 7.5
Nic35 - 7.5
73109 - 7
jsem - 7
Space Invader - 7
dethklok09 - 6.5
dtismajesty - 6.5
Jamesman - 4
DTVT - 4

Round Three: Make me sad.  Limit to 7 minutes.  If you want template songs, think SDV, Disappear, Neal Morse's Somber Days, or hefdaddy's first submission.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:33:39 PM by BrotherH »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »
Ah. So, I have one song by one band, 2 by another, and like 6 or 7 by another...hmm?

I'll get something to you soon.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »
Sent!!! :)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
Alright, got it down to 3 songs. But all three are so fucking sad!!!!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
Curse you, time limit!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
Curse you, time limit!
If it's slightly over 7, I'll let you break it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
Sent. I am not very confident usually, but I think I have this round in the bag. I can not think of a sadder song.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
By the way, you guys are really on top of it, so just send a song when you're ready...not gonna set a deadline.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
Sent.  Took a big risk here.  The only song I've come close to crying to. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »
Sent... although I have to wonder if I'm the only one who is sending this artist in...

-Marc.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
Sent. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who sent this artist.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
Sent... although I have to wonder if I'm the only one who is sending this artist in...

-Marc.
Sent. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who sent this artist.

I was wondering this myself when I sent mine. This will be interesting!!! :)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
The strongest submissions the entire game.  I'm such a sucker for sappy songs.  Might as well make every round like this.

Next round if you want to prepare: gimme something fast, driving, and metal, a la Static Impulse, or Constant Motion.

And if you were all wondering, I do have a band repeat this round.  Not saying who, though.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
:metal

FINALLY!!!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
:)

That smiley face is going to make me rip out my spleen.  Stop that.

:)

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
The strongest submissions the entire game.  I'm such a sucker for sappy songs.  Might as well make every round like this.

Next round if you want to prepare: gimme something fast, driving, and metal, a la Static Impulse, or Constant Motion.

And if you were all wondering, I do have a band repeat this round.  Not saying who, though.
I'm pretty sure I'm one of the two guys who sent the same artist. Though I'm happy we didn't send the same song.