Author Topic: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND RESULTS!!!!!  (Read 97447 times)

Offline Ħ

BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND RESULTS!!!!!
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
Rules (modeled after orcus's original thread with a few edits):

•10 rounds.
•Only one song suggestion per round. It would be helpful to PM a youtube or myspace or grooveshark link to the song.  Also, a brief description of why you chose the song.
•One song per artist...for all posters.  That means, if someone else gave me a band in a previous round, then you can't use that band.  Only exceptions: if I get the same band in the same round, or if the previous submission got a 1 or 2.
•No using songs from my favorite artists.  I've listed them below to let you know.
•Up to 5 possible points per round.
•Some rounds will have certain requirements/themes while others will be free-for-alls.
•At the end of Round 7, only the top three participants will continue.  At the end of Round 9, only the top two participants will continue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Favorite Artists
Dream Theater
Neal Morse
Opeth
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Queensryche
Spock's Beard
Symphony X
Transatlantic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Participants:
- Jamesman
- jsem
- The Letter M
- hefdaddy42
- dtismajesty
- DTVT
- Space Invader
- dethklok09
- Nic35

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1

Theme: None
Song Length: Limit to 10 minutes.

I will send you all PMs.  Check in by sending me your first submission and posting in this thread.  The deadline is February 1.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:25:44 PM by BrotherH »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- First Round -- Deadline Feb 1
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »
I'll join yours if it's OK.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
I would love in. I got some stuff I think you might dig...provided you like Classic Rock and/or heavy metal.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
I would love in. I got some stuff I think you might dig...provided you like Classic Rock and/or heavy metal.
:tup

I'll let one more person in, cause 9 is an awkward number.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:06 PM »
Question, do you like any classic rock that you have heard...and what about metal. It is just hard to judge because PF is the most not classic, classic rock band ever, and Opeth is the most un metal, metal band ever.

edit: Before people flip, I don't mean that in a bad way. I just mean neither of the two bands are stereotypical.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
I'll send my song tonight.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
10 participants and 10 rounds? Damn yo.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »
I don't want to send you any songs you already know.  Any chance you are on last fm, or some other site with a more thorough list of artists/songs that you know? 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »
As you can see by the bands I've listed, I'm really into prog metal/ prog rock.  Basically the counter-counter-culture in prog rock's case, and the counter-counter-counter culture in the prog metal case.

For another classic rock band, I like Queen.  To be honest, I'm don't delve into metal or rock unless it's prog...call me a snob, it's true.   :lol  I think it's just the variety of different textures within a single song.  I am not good at appreciating music on a simpler level...complexity is good for me.  So as far as blunt metal or rock goes, usually it is a miss for me.

I also like jazz, such as Gordon Goodwin, or Peter White.  I also like modern classical orchestration that write for movies and trailers.

I get a lot of pleasure out of quirky, weird, counter-culture music.  I really like a lot of the bands that Sigz has posted in his top 50 albums, and those are quite quirky to my inexperienced ears.  So you can use some of those as templates.

Antigoon, don't worry, I am gonna stay on top of it...the deadline for round 1 is longer, but I'm thinking I'll keep it to 2 days/round after that.

dtismajesty, unfortunately I don't have last fm.  If you steer away from those bands I listed, it should be fine.  Like Marc said in a different thread, I am a listener that gets really involved in a few bands rather than being more diverse.  So, odds are I won't have heard anything you send me.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
Ok, I will simply steer clear from prog then to make sure.  I'm not very knowledgeable with prog anyways, so expect a lot of folk and post-rock  :tup

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
I'm fucked.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
I'm fucked.
:rollin I know you're a big Metallica fan.  I've never clicked with Metallica, so maybe this is your big chance to change my mind!

Offline jsem

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Is it OK to send live versions of songs? With guest musicians, etc... or must it be studio version?

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Oh man I'm looking forward to this roulette. Since Marvelous G doesn't dig the heavy stuff, your roulette and James' will let me break out my hidden stash of prog.

Should be in by tomorrow night at the latest.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »
I'm fucked.
:rollin I know you're a big Metallica fan.  I've never clicked with Metallica, so maybe this is your big chance to change my mind!

It isn't just that. I am just not into the whole "artsy" music thing. The layer on layer on layer, multi dimensional stuff. I think music loses its point if you fuck with it too much, however, I do know some songs and music with little intricacies that make them special if that might help me along. I shall see, and I probably won't feel that bad if I fail miserably.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
Is it OK to send live versions of songs? With guest musicians, etc... or must it be studio version?
yep, anything is fine as long as you abide by the restrictions i give each round.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
Also I edited in a new rule:

One song per artist...for all posters.  That means, if someone else gave me a band in a previous round, then you can't use that band.  Only exception is if I get the same band within the same round.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
I'm still game. I'll send a song sometime tonight or tomorrow when I figure out what you might like... I'll have to think on this.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
Sent

Offline jsem

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
This is going to be tough.... I really don't know if you've heard of these bands that I might send you, some that I'm thinking of are semi-famous prog bands..

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »
I'd like to join
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »
Re-sent.

If Brother H doesn't like this song, I might just quit the roulette.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
I'd like to join
:tup

One more thing, and Cole (I have permission to call you on a first name basis, right?) reminded me with his submission.  Along with the song, and a link, give me a sentence to a paragraph of why you chose the song.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
Yep, I'm Cole. It beats failboy. Or Mr. Fail. Or Little Miss Failure. Numbers works too. Whatever you prefer.

I have one trick up my sleeve already. A prog song from a band that is completely un prog. Can't wait to pull that one out. Maybe in a round or two.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Since Marvelous G doesn't dig the heavy stuff, your roulette and James' will let me break out my hidden stash of prog.

I see your stash of prog and raise you MY stash.

Also, Marvelous G has shown he wouldn't know good music if was played for him.   :lol

Also, you might want to amend the rules to no resending of artists that do well.  If someone sends you a song by an artist, and you don't like it, and someone thinks they can change your mind; you should give them that chance.

Offline jsem

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »
Sent.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
Sent. I'm confident.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
Sent... hope I do well this round, especially being my first "Song Roulette" ever!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »
Sent... hope I do well this round, especially being my first "Song Roulette" ever!

-Marc.
Same here :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
Woah 10 rounds? If you're going to have that many then try and be punctual with updates. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Woah 10 rounds? If you're going to have that many then try and be punctual with updates. :)
lol?  i thought 10 rounds was standard...but if I do a round every two days, it'll last 20 days which is about how long each person has gone for.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »
Also, you might want to amend the rules to no resending of artists that do well.  If someone sends you a song by an artist, and you don't like it, and someone thinks they can change your mind; you should give them that chance.
Ok...if a song gets into the Average or Bad category, than the band can be reused.  But if it gets Great or Good, it's out.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
lol?  i thought 10 rounds was standard...but if I do a round every two days, it'll last 20 days which is about how long each person has gone for.
no lol. The standard is 6 rounds. 8 if the host is quick.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »
Yeah every two days is really quick so that'd be no worries.

The standard is usually 6 rounds or so, but people who are quick do more, and some of us do some kind of playoff at the end.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.