Author Topic: Egyptian Revolution Jan 25th 2011  (Read 138670 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Egyptian Revolution Jan 25th 2011
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
I would argue that an Egypt that shows how to moderately integrate Islam into the government is of more value to the region than a hardcore secular move that no other country would follow.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
The government is gonna have lots of Muslims in it no matter who rules.. unless you guys mean radical extremists every time you refer to "Islamists" or "Muslim Revolution" or "Islam coming to power".
My brother told me that most of the students and professors that arranged and started the protests are gone now, the people remaining in the street are mainly the dumb street guy who just like the fact that this is something new and enjoying the experience, we have these.
Let alone the kids who're way too happy about having time off from school.
Police still minimal in suburbs and moving around is very risky.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Texas Pirate!

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
I heard reports that cellular comunications were cut off as well, is this true? I feel that the citisens of the US, should show our solidarity with the people of Egypt, even if our US government wont.

:yarr
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:10 PM »
Phew. When I went to bed last night, I fully expected this topic to have turned into a shitstorm. But it looks like we can have nice things afterall.

Now time to do some serious reading about this. I've been doing a horrible job keeping up with the news. I'm really embarrassed to say how little I know about all this.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
I heard reports that cellular comunications were cut off as well, is this true? I feel that the citisens of the US, should show our solidarity with the people of Egypt, even if our US government wont.

:yarr

A lot of people joined from here joined American Egyptians in protests outside Egyptian embassies across America the last couple of days.
I personally think the people that are still in Tahrir square should go now, Mubarak can't back out of a promise he made on such an international stage and I can't see any bad coming out of waiting till September except a possible chance for opposition groups clashing and an actual radical group plotting for some elections shenanigans. Even though I'm certain such group cannot win a fair election by popular vote.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »
I believe that this is a 'people as a whole' revolution who are fed up with the regime. When Mubarak is gone do you think Islam will take a big role with the new government?

From what I understand, the Iranian revolution was a people's revolution as well. The revolting students didn't want a crappy fundamentalist regime.

wtf is the internet?

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2011, 06:01:58 AM »
I would argue that an Egypt that shows how to moderately integrate Islam into the government is of more value to the region than a hardcore secular move that no other country would follow.

rumborak
Isn't that what Mubarak did in effect?

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
anti government protesters are clashing with pro government suporters in the main square.
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2011, 07:38:16 AM »
it looks like a clever ploy by mubarak; he sent in his civilian cops to the streets leading to the square, he's making them attack and retreat. they are pulling back drawing the crowd with them and soon the crowd is going to lose the square because they have been channeled to the streets. if the cops come from the other side, there will be a massacre.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »
Damn! This got serious. Mubarak wanted this. Fuck that guy.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
the military needs to just stop with the bullshit and stop mubarak.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »
I'm really not sure what they are waiting for.

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »
the anti mubarak protesters need reinforcements. this is getting bad and there is nothing that will stop this from getting worse .
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
So it looks like Anderson Cooper of CNN and his crew were attacked while in Egypt.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/02/anderson-cooper-attacked-in-egypt-video.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:39:16 PM by juice »

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2011, 06:38:07 PM »
These government supporter people seem like shmucks with a really lame cause.

wtf is the internet?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2011, 07:22:05 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if those pro-Mubarak supporters were plain bought by the government.

rumborak

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
I've been following this whole thing on this thread so I may have missed something, but what are these pro-Mubarak protesters for? Him finishing his term or him staying in power?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Turning this thing into a bloodbath was not only a shitty thing to do, but a pretty bad move on Mubarak's part.  Things might have fizzled out before, but once it gets to this point it'll probably go to the end.  

I've been following this whole thing on this thread so I may have missed something, but what are these pro-Mubarak protesters for? Him finishing his term or him staying in power?
The likelihood is that they're Mubarak lackeys and state police in civvies. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2011, 08:25:46 PM »
There are reports of secret police searching the hospitals, for wounded anti mubarik protetsters. no reports of arrests made at the hospitals or snuffings, yet.
Has mettty been online today?
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Turning this thing into a bloodbath was not only a shitty thing to do, but a pretty bad move on Mubarak's part.  Things might have fizzled out before, but once it gets to this point it'll probably go to the end.  

I mostly agree, but with what I've read on the situation I don't think thinks would simmer down, at least it would be fairly unlikely.  I've actually been quite surprised often by the resolve of a good deal of the people over there.  However, as you said, putting aside the fact that it was a horrible thing to do, it was not a very tactful thing to do in the long run, at least not in the way it was approached.  It certainly won't help the current government of Egypt to turn all the sympathy that is still left in the United States and other countries against it.  Egypt has proven that there are people there who are not going to step down when things get dirty, and I am kind of happy for that.  They're at least lucky that they're dealing with a president who does not seem to be strong in tactics. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
Sorry for not updating today, I've been packing cause I'm leaving soon.
The pro-Mubarak guys are composed of:
- Criminal and street thugs (the same bunch the NDP uses to terrorize voters during elections, they are pretty cheap too, while not being criminals or beating voters they scam tourists at the pyramids area)
- State police in street cloth.
After his speech yesterday I wanted the protesters to go home, I believed him but now I cannot stand him waiting another week let alone months.
The O man is making a titanic mistake, this will turn anti American soon cause the pro-Mubarak protesters are saying the anti Mubarak protesters are "Agents for America" and "Deploying America ideas" and shit like that that tickles the average Muslims -and Arab in general- the wrong way.
And I think Anderson Cooper thinks he's Tintin.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Sorry for not updating today, I've been packing cause I'm leaving soon.
The pro-Mubarak guys are composed of:
- Criminal and street thugs (the same bunch the NDP uses to terrorize voters during elections, they are pretty cheap too, while not being criminals or beating voters they scam tourists at the pyramids area)
- State police in street cloth.
After his speech yesterday I wanted the protesters to go home, I believed him but now I cannot stand him waiting another week let alone months.
The O man is making a titanic mistake, this will turn anti American soon cause the pro-Mubarak protesters are saying the anti Mubarak protesters are "Agents for America" and "Deploying America ideas" and shit like that that tickles the average Muslims -and Arab in general- the wrong way.
And I think Anderson Cooper thinks he's Tintin.

I suspect that there will be people throwing the anti-American spin regardless of what US State does.  It's a great angle for any side that chooses to use it.

Edit--Holy shit.  Al Jazeera's feed is showing a rapid fire barrage of Molotovs off of the bridge.  That was about 15 in 60 seconds. 

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »

Edit--Holy shit.  Al Jazeera's feed is showing a rapid fire barrage of Molotovs off of the bridge.  That was about 15 in 60 seconds. 

Watching right now.  I think I hear gunshots too.  Kind of strange to watch, I'm not sure what to say.  I just hope that they get their message across while as few people get hurt as possible. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
The gunshots have actually died down quite a bit in the last half hour.  It was nearly constant for a while about an hour ago.  I suspect that it's mainly non-directed fire for intimidation.  The people in the square say it's coming from all sides, but there have been very few reports of people shot.  The pro-Mubarak guys are just trying to keep everybody scared.
E.F. Benson

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:33 PM »
Yes, I figured the gunshots were mostly warning fire, and it probably will not elevate above that. (hopefully, for the most part)
The death count is apparently at 4 (though "over a hundred"  were said to be injured) and it was not elaborated on whether any of those were shootings or just accidents/minor aggression.  Either way you can see the tension on the video footage, and it's scary to watch. 

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »
hmmm heavy artillery shots, no one has a clue who is firing, but i would guess the military to signify the start of curfew.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »
wow apparently snipers are shooting protesters. also the government invited MB to come and discuss, I think they want the west and USA to back track rather than having MB take over.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2011, 10:14:58 AM »
I don't know if anyone is watching the live feeds on Al Jazeera's website, but the man being interviewed is saying the police stations being over thrown and the pirson letting the inmates escape, were all part of the plan.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »
wow apparently snipers are shooting protesters. also the government invited MB to come and discuss, I think they want the west and USA to back track rather than having MB take over.

One report just stated that 10 people have been killed by snipers.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
I don't know if anyone is watching the live feeds on Al Jazeera's website, but the man being interviewed is saying the police stations being over thrown and the pirson letting the inmates escape, were all part of the plan.

...So is there any indication that this guy is any better than Sadamm? Or is he like all of our other 'good friends' in that neck of the woods?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:57 AM »
What exactly is this "day of depature" this Friday?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »
I don't know what the point of attacking journalists is, other than egging on the international community to take an even stronger stance.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
I don't know what the point of attacking journalists is, other than egging on the international community to take an even stronger stance.

rumborak

Two reporters from Egypt have stepped down for not being allowed to say the truth on TV. That may have something to do with it, it might not. I don't know.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
Internet is back up in Egypt.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
All kinds of journalist are being arrested and harassed. It seems the regime wants to go out with a bang.

rumborak