Author Topic: Egyptian Revolution Jan 25th 2011  (Read 138671 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Egyptian Revolution Jan 25th 2011
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »
Epicview, with all due respect, your 'facts' have been called into question plenty of times and like everyone else in this thread, I'm just not interested in whatever you are or will muck up from fantasy land.

point to one thing I have said thats incorrect?  with all due respect,your lack of knowledge or understanding is not my problem.

what is that you dont understand? if you can refute my pov, post something that proves otherwise..good luck

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
I can't believe I'm actually reading the stuff that I'm reading here, on any angle.

UGH

Thanks, metty.

what cant you believe? its a mess, and will effect all of us on some level
It's only a mess if you live in constant fear of anything Islamic or losing the ability to wave your red, white, and blue dick in the faces of any culture that doesn't fit your American ideal.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm quite happy that the Egyptians appear to be getting out of a piss-poor social situation.  It's a shame Americans don't have such inclinations.

got nothing to do with the USA, it has to do with history, we are seeing Lebanon go down the drain,same with Iran..same with Syria... Turkey...etc..Im not so Polly Anna to think a moderate will rise in Egypt
And who cares if a moderate take power as long as it's what the people want.  Something you seem unable to recognize is that the reason we're having issues with the Muslims is because we refuse to leave them to their own accord.  If I were over there and all I heard from the US is "we want you to be free as long as you choose the government that works best for us," I'd be pretty pissed off as well.  We've certainly never had any trouble getting along with Muslim governments in the past, and renewing opposition to such things only creates more problems. 

Let the people have whatever government they want, and then either live with it, or don't.  Just stop trying to tell other people how to live there lives.  It's antagonizing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »
Epicview, with all due respect, your 'facts' have been called into question plenty of times and like everyone else in this thread, I'm just not interested in whatever you are or will muck up from fantasy land.

point to one thing I have said thats incorrect?  with all due respect,your lack of knowledge or understanding is not my problem.

what is that you dont understand? if you can refute my pov, post something that proves otherwise..good luck

Well, we could point to the many times that Metty has proved you wrong BECAUSE HE KNOWS PEOPLE THERE IN THE THICK OF IT AND UNDERSTANDS THE SITUATION FAR MORE THAN YOU DO

But that would be too easy

Instead, I implore you once again to either provide sources to these articles or we will continue to just dismiss all your claims

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »
I was rather appalled with a statement I heard from (I think) the US press secretary this morning saying "We're not picking sides between the Egyptian government or the public". I'm sorry, last time I checked the United States was supposed to stand for representing the will of the public. If you're officially putting the gov't and the public will on equal terms, there's something wrong.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2011, 11:51:30 AM »
You don't want to see the sources PLM.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
It is pretty sad. They're trying to hedge their bets (don't pick one side in case the other side wins), but really it's probably just going to make both sides mad. Grow a pair of balls, US government, and support the people!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »

Well, we could point to the many times that Metty has proved you wrong BECAUSE HE KNOWS PEOPLE THERE IN THE THICK OF IT AND UNDERSTANDS THE SITUATION FAR MORE THAN YOU DO

Instead, I implore you once again to either provide sources to these articles or we will continue to just dismiss all your claims

I have posted the articles, on what subject would you like an article from a news source on? I have no problem providing
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »

I have posted the articles, on what subject would you like an article from a news source on? I have no problem providing

Yes, you posted the articles. But reading things in context is always good. For all we know, you copied/pasted off of some dude's blog (which, by the way, is not a legit news source). I, and a lot of other people, tend to judge news articles based on their source for the reason of objectivity (something you like to go on about). So, if you would edit each of your posts with links to the article itself, it would help a lot of us at least TRY to see where you're coming from

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »
You don't want to see the sources PLM.

what are your sources? I have posted many of the articles, certainly more then anyone else has.

what points are in question? what Im saying is pretty basic stuff on the ME, and how it is a varibale on EGYPT and how EGYPT is a variable on the ME structure, and how huge this is

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »

Yes, you posted the articles. But reading things in context is always good. For all we know, you copied/pasted off of some dude's blog (which, by the way, is not a legit news source). I, and a lot of other people, tend to judge news articles based on their source for the reason of objectivity (something you like to go on about). So, if you would edit each of your posts with links to the article itself, it would help a lot of us at least TRY to see where you're coming from

The sources are listed in article, authors left in or reporters names..easily sosurced, and not out of context at all..

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
does anyone else even post an article to back up their view? I dont mind doing it all, but I would like this to be equal, I dont call anyone out,.. if I dont agree I make my point and source my view. but Im also allowed to have my GUT feeling and views and people should allow that..my view is certainly basic and mundane.

This is a radical subject..its HUGE, we all should be fired up...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
I cant figure out what I have said that needs back up, I will guess this is one of the subjects

Israeli minister says Lebanese Hezbollah training Palestinian militants in Hamas-ruled Gaza
By JOSEF FEDERMAN , Associated Press

Last update: January 27, 2011 - 1:25 PM
JERUSALEM - Israel's minister of strategic affairs said Thursday the Lebanese Hezbollah guerrilla group has infiltrated agents into the Gaza Strip to train Palestinian militants.

Gaza is ruled by the Hamas militant group, which, like Hezbollah, is sworn to Israel's destruction.

The minister, Moshe Yaalon, Israel's former military chief of staff, told reporters that "Hezbollah experts can get into the Gaza Strip, like the Iranian rockets are coming to the Gaza Strip." He said Hezbollah militants can go from Lebanon to Sudan, then to Egypt and on to Gaza.

Israel charges that archenemy Iran sends rockets and other weapons to Gaza militants, smuggling them into the seaside strip through tunnels under the Gaza-Egypt border.

Yaalon said Hezbollah has a special unit, called 1800, to deal with the Palestinian militants. He said the Lebanese guerrillas also operate in the West Bank, paying militants.

Yaalon offered no evidence to support his claims.

Israel has long accused Hezbollah and its Iranian backers of supporting Palestinian militants, but officials have said little about an actual physical presence of Iranian-backed militia in Gaza.

Hamas has often denied that foreign forces are in Gaza. On Thursday, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum called Yaalon's claim "fabricated," and said "all the factions in Gaza are Palestinians."

Yaalon's office said Hezbollah has been infiltrating Gaza quietly since Israel withdrew in from the seaside strip in 2005.

Israel and Hezbollah fought a bitter monthlong war in 2006, when Hezbollah rained almost 4,000 rockets on Israel as Israeli forces caused widespread destruction in Beirut and south Lebanon. A year later, Israel launched a punishing war in Gaza to try to put a stop to daily rocket attacks by Gaza militants.

___

Associated Press writer Ibrahim Barzak in Gaza City contributed to this report.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
Can we keep the discussion on-topic please? Mubarak apparently will do some kind of announcement soon.

rumborak

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
Can we keep the discussion on-topic please? Mubarak apparently will do some kind of announcement soon.

rumborak

its on subject as its effects who may be the next leader ...how that candidate will be funded etc

we give Egypt 2billion a year...Hamas is getting money this way
look at the funding issues.. remember Hamas won an open election in Gaza wwith UN funds and is part of TMB
it can happen in Egypt too

Congress Should Stop Funding UNRWA
Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld - Family Security Matters,  January 25th, 2011

The House Foreign Affairs Committee will hold hearing today on “The United Nations: Urgent Problems that Need Congressional Action,” including recommendations to stop funding the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). Perhaps now that the U.S. debt crossed 14 Trillion dollars, would be a good time to stop funding this corrupt organization that fosters the Palestinian “refugees” problem and funds Hamas.

UNRWA began its emergency food and shelter aid programs for Palestinian refugees in the West Bank, Gaza, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon in May 1950. Over the years, though its official mandate remained the same, UNRWA has been providing governmental and development services. UNRWA's former legal advisor and general counsel, James G. Lindsay, published in 2009 an important study: “Fixing UNRWA: Repairing the UN's Troubled System of Aid to Palestinian Refugees.” Mr. Lindsay shows how UNRWA changed its function from status based (refugees) to need based  (dependents). More than six decades later, and despite the establishment of an independent Palestinian governing body, UNRWA continues to operate in parallel with the government, both in the PA ruled West Bank and Hamas ruled Gaza.

The world community facilitated Hamas' victory in the 2006 Palestinian Authority election, when it allowed Hamas to run under the name “List of Change and Reform.” In June 2007, Hamas took control over the Gaza Strip from the Palestinian Authority (PA).

Since then, despite repeated promises to cut off funds to Hamas, international aid organizations and many countries have continued funneling money to Gaza, purportedly for humanitarian aid, but more recently to fund the “Gaza Administration.” Hamas’ rule over Gaza does not seem to be an obstacle to funding it.

Although the U.S. designation of Hamas terrorists (individuals) is insufficient, the organization and its various entities are designated by the Treasury Department on its Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN). But the UN does not list Hamas as a terrorist organization. The UN only lists the Taliban and al Qaeda as terrorists. The May 2009 U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) report includes UNRWA's admission that it does not screen prospective staff or aid recipients for ties to Hamas, Hezbollah, the Islamic Jihad (IJG), or other local terrorist groups.

The GAO report stated:

“According to UNRWA, the UN Security Council has various working groups for terrorism-related issues, but the Sanctions Committee’s UN 1267 list is currently the only such UN terrorist screening list available….the list is limited to those individuals or entities affiliated with Al-Qaida and the Taliban and thus does not specifically include major regional groups, such as Hamas and Hezbollah, which the United States has designated as foreign terrorist organizations.”

By the end of 2007, UNRWA employed more than 29,000, Less than 200 were listed as “international,” the rest were Palestinian, organized in unions. UNRWA’s Arab workers union is controlled by Hamas. In 2003 Hamas won more than 90% of the votes. In 2005, UNRWA provided a large increase in salaries for its thousands of workers. Since HAMAS deducts 3%-5% of the UNRWA paid annual salaries as membership fees, the raise contributes directly to HAMAS’ coffers. Through another affiliate, the Islamic Bloc, Hamas also controls the UNRWA teachers union and UNRWA-funded schools in Gaza.

However this did not seem to disturb UNRWA’s former Commissioner Peter Hansen, who in October 2004 told the Canadian Broadcasting Cooperation “I am sure that there are Hamas members on the UNRWA payroll, and I don't see that as a crime.”

UNRWA facilities and personnel have also been tied to numerous terrorist attacks on Israel. Its schools have been used as meeting places for Hamas terrorists and weapons storage, and UNRWA’s Hamas affiliated staff members have used UNRWA equipment to transport arms for use in terrorist activities. For example, IDF captured documents and evidence during Operation Cast Lead in 2008, showed that the UNRWA school compound across from the Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis was used by Hamas to launch rockets into Israel, and that other UNRWA schools were used to store weapons and to hide Hamas operatives.

On January 12, 2009, Israeli Public Security Minister Avi Dichter stated that Shifa Hospital, Gaza City's main medical center, has become the de facto Hamas headquarters, and that: “Shifa Hospital has long ago ceased to be just a hospital, just as the UN humanitarian and health services in Gaza long ago ceased to be just humanitarian services providing food and medical services.” Still, UNRWA's response was: “Where any abuse of UN installations is discovered the UN carries out disciplinary action, including dismissals.”

Not surprisingly, in January 2011, Hamas announced that it  won 70.5% of Gaza’s Nursing Association’s representatives vote. Their competitors, another terrorist designated groups, the Islamic Jihad (IJG), won 29.5%. UNRWA pays their salaries.

In 2009, following Israel’s operation Cast Lead, conducted to stop Hamas & Islamic Jihad rockets attacks on Israel, the European Commission pledged at least $554 to Gaza in “humanitarian aid.” In June 2010, the Obama administration promised $400 million in aid to the West Bank and Gaza. In March 2009, the U.S. pledged $300 million earmarked for Gaza and $600 million to the West Bank. UNRWA annually transfers about $200 million in cash to Gaza.

PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad sends $120 million a month from its budget (most of which comes from foreign aid) to Gaza. In September 2010, he openly stated that he had sent Gaza $4.3 billion over the previous three years, part of which pays the salaries of Hamas municipal employees. According to Mr. Fayyad, 54% of the PA’s $3.17 billion 2010 budget went to Gaza.

In 2009, following Israel’s operation Cast Lead to stop Hamas & Islamic Jihad rockets attacks on Israel, the European Commission pledged at least $554 to Gaza in “humanitarian aid.” Arab countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the UAE promised billions more.  But these wealthy Arab nations are known to renege on their financial aid to the Palestinians, including Hamas. Their promises get them lots of publicity, while they let the West foot the bill.

For example, an October 2010 Foreign Policy article reported that “Qatar's emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, pledged $30 million for U.N. humanitarian operations in Gaza… the money has never arrived.”

However, UNWRA does not rely only on pledges. The UN agency raises money for Gaza through its web site, with payments going through WorldPay (part of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group), the Arab Bank PLC in Gaza and HSBC in Amman, Jordan. Those funds come in addition to UNRWA's annual budget of $400 million. How much of it goes to Hamas members?

Incredibly,UNRWA calls its own tune, while the U.S. pays for it. UNRWA have long violated and subverted U.S. principles and interests, but it will soon ask to renew its mandate that is about to expire in June.

It is time the House Foreign Affairs Committee recommends to end the wasting of U.S. taxpayers’ money on the terrorist supporting UNRWA.

FamilySecurityMatters.org Contributing Editor Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld  is the Director of the New York-based American Center for Democracy. She is an expert on terrorism and corruption-related topics such as terror financing and narco-terrorism. She has helped to change New York state law, when the Libel Terrorism Protection Act (pdf) was passed. Similar laws have been passed in other U.S. states, and a federal law known as the SPEECH ACT which was signed by the president in August 2010, follows the same principle – that First Amendment guarantees should protect authors and publishers against foreign libel judgments from countries with poor free speech protections.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:44:20 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
POST THE DAMN LINK TO WHERE YOU COPY THE INFORMATION. BEFORE OR AFTER THE POST WOULD BE NICE.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
Please also stop spamming this thread with barely-relevant news articles, EV.

rumborak

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »
I'm sick of this.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Please also stop spamming this thread with barely-relevant news articles, EV.

rumborak

I'm talking about the CRUX of the issue...not the "hallmark card" version of the news

we are talking about WHO will gain power in Egypt, and where the money to fund a candidate against Suelliman will come from..thats HUGE.
Isnt that the subject????  this is HUGE stuff..it will effect the entire ME and WORLD!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:45:26 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
1926: US President Barack Obama has told Hosni Mubarak that he should not run for another term in September's presidential election, American diplomats in Cairo and Washington have told the New York Times.

(from bbc.co.uk)

Well, at least something. I guess it's understandable that the US is not supporting a immediate toppling because of the potentially ensuing power vacuum.

we are talking about WHO will gain power in Egypt, and where the money to fund a candidate against Sulliman will come from..thats HUGE.

And in all that digging you still haven't figured out how to spell the man's name?

rumborak

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:48 PM »
Our allies are not happy with Obama, if I was the King of Jordan Id be worried if Obama has my back..

do I need to back that statement up? LOL

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
That's it. Epicview, you keep taking things off topic, and it's not even just me who believes that. Apparently, everyone who's not you thinks that this Gaza/Hamas stuff has nothing to do with the present topic.

And you still can't post links to your sources.

So, because you can't seem to stay on topic, plus your inability to argue correctly ( you should have read that stickied thread I linked you ), you're permanently banned from this board. And please don't bother PM'ing me about it, I already went over all this last time

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
Im crushed...why??? Please...

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
Mubarak promising to step aside for next elections won't cut it. If i'm the crowd, I would instantly think he will use the time until then to make moves to have control behind the scenes. He has to be exiled along with his key friends in intelligence and police forces for the crowd to be happy enough to move on.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
That's what I'm thinking too. He will try to move things into place so that he and his cronies retain power, even without him being directly at the helm.

rumborak

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
Guys the man is over 80, he's not thinking anything complicated, he just wants to stay in his chair for as long as possible no matter what the consequences are, he's always been a megalomaniac and he doesn't want his exit to be shameful and go down in history as a president whose people kicked out.
I think his thoughts all revolve around trying to secure a historically honorable exit, which seems impossible.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »
this guy is so disillusion it's comical now.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
btw guys I've always been for the U.S not sticking their nose in the middle east business but my voice is lost among the amount of people asking the U.S to voice the public support.
My friend just asked me -on the phone from Egypt- why I think the U.S is not supporting the people who're calling for freedom and democracy although the U.S said that's what they went to Iraq for, Egyptians are trying to establish this without the U.S spending billions of dollars to go to war and remove our dictator.
That guy got shot by a neighborhood watch by mistake earlier.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »
this guy is so disillusion it's comical now.

Yeah it's pretty sad really.

rumborak

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
Probably not for the simple reason that Americans are oblivious to the fact that they're getting hosed.  As long as there's NASCAR, Budweiser and internet porn freely available, nobody here will pay any attention to shitty government and eroding liberties. 

I couldn't agree with you more.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
It sure does seem to me that for the time being, the worst thing that can happen is for the US to take anybody's side.  Don't give anybody the opportunity to use that for leverage, which is what invariably happens. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Texas Pirate!

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
I think, in my honest oppinion, that mubarak is stalling for time to shuffle funds into offshore accounts. tell me im wrong and Ill call you names that will hurt your feelings. LOL.
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »
BTW, I love the fact that the internet was the facilitator in all this. No politicians negotiating something new or whatever, just plain citizens getting informed about what is possible and then taking action. Booyah, internet.

this

wtf is the internet?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
So I was talking to my mum and she said the following:

1. 30 years in power. Of course the people are pissed!

2. He was the only Arab leader who was friend of the West (Jordan too, right?), and that was good.

3. Point two is an issue, because this will mean that the Islam Revolution is coming. Welcome the Ayatollahs!

/mum

I believe that this is a 'people as a whole' revolution who are fed up with the regime. When Mubarak is gone do you think Islam will take a big role with the new government?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »
Even if the new government was based on Islam, I don't think that would be a real problem as long as they didn't force people to be Islamic.  Kind of like the USA is based off of Christian morality but we don't force anyone to be Christian. 

I don't see Muslims coming to power as a problem as long as they are good people who are not totalitarian and don't support terrorism.  This could be a great chance for a strong reasonable Muslim voice in the region.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
And Hosni was hardly the only Muslim leader who was tight with the West.  Sadaam was our buddy for a while (and should still be).  That worthless bastard King Faud still is our buddy (which is the cause of a great many of our problems).  Before the latest war we had pretty nice ties with Turkey.  You got all of those little places like Qatar that do whatever we want them for.  Then there are our puppets in Pakistan and Afghanistan.  Personally, I think we've chosen some real bastards to be our allies and our diplomacy over there has been horrendous, but we definitely do have plenty of friendly governments in the region.

As for point 3, I don't think so as long as it's not anti-American sentiment that's fueling the fire.  Their problems are internal and I suspect they'd like to keep it that way.  What they don't need is for some asshole American president to label them another axis of evil and get them all riled up.
E.F. Benson