Poll

Should marijuana be legalized?

Yes
19 (90.5%)
No
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: State Of The Union 2011 [MOD PLEASE MOVE TO P/R, SORRY]  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: State Of The Union 2011 [MOD PLEASE MOVE TO P/R, SORRY]
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
You steal a car and go turn yourself into the police, purposely hitting every pedestrian that you can on the way, and then when you get to the police station kill them all and burn the building down.

Because that's what marijuana makes you do.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 06:36:57 AM »
Yeah, plus I heard when you're high you don't usually fall off balconies or anything like that.

I wasn't high if that's what you are implying...

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 06:39:22 AM »
I'm searching the internet for reasons why pot should be illegal and all I find are joke articles. The internet is making us dumb! Oh wait, here's a good one:

I am diametrically opposed to this for several reasons. First, for several years we have been hearing what cigarette companies have been doing to their product, the addition of nearly lethal chemicals to tobacco has cost millions of people their very livelihood. I am not so jaded to believe that the tobacco companies once given the green light to commence growing operations wouldn't conduct business any differently with marijuana than they have with tobacco.

Exactly! Making drugs legal would mean we'd end up with dangerous shit in our dope. Keep drugs illegal and keep our drugs safe!

...wait...

wtf is the internet?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 06:52:52 AM »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 06:56:44 AM »
Maybe we can move away from exaggerations and actually have some discussion as to the merits of this idea.

Just sayin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 07:01:47 AM »
I think most of it boils down to the government not wanting to admit they have been wrong for decades about something so harmless.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »
George W. Bush never injected meth, and look what he has done for our country!

wtf is the internet?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »
Yeah, plus I heard when you're high you don't usually fall off balconies or anything like that.

I wasn't high if that's what you are implying...
I was contrasting it to alcohol.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 08:34:52 AM »
Quote from: Some Guy Ack Quoted
I am diametrically opposed to this for several reasons. First, for several years we have been hearing what cigarette companies have been doing to their product, the addition of nearly lethal chemicals to tobacco has cost millions of people their very livelihood. I am not so jaded to believe that the tobacco companies once given the green light to commence growing operations wouldn't conduct business any differently with marijuana than they have with tobacco.

This is actually one of the better arguments for legalization.  Big tobacco has a stranglehold on the legal smokes market because growing, drying, and processing tobacco is a real bitch.  Most people can't do it.  Growing your own dope is a piece of cake, and you know exactly what's in it.  I agree with whoever wrote the above snippet that PM and RJR will put all kinds of horrible stuff in any pot they sell, but I suspect the majority of people will smoke independently grown dope long before buying commercial. 

Personally, I enjoy smoking (in general).  I've finally gotten to the point where I just don't like smoking cigarettes any more at all. I'm not naive enough to think that it'll be a huge market, but I suspect there are others like me who would enjoy smoking some high-quality but non-psychoactive marijuana from time to time.  It's smoother, a helluva lot tastier, and I don't always want to get baked.  I'd like to see this avenue explored. 

However, as we saw with that bullshit ban of clove cigarettes, it's much more likely that our government will rally to protect big tobacco than allow anything that might be more enjoyable to be sold. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »
I don't see any good reason why it should be illegal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.