Poll

Should marijuana be legalized?

Yes
19 (90.5%)
No
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: State Of The Union 2011 [MOD PLEASE MOVE TO P/R, SORRY]  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
State Of The Union 2011 [MOD PLEASE MOVE TO P/R, SORRY]
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »
Many of you who have been on YouTube recently have probably noticed the advertisement for the State Of The Union 2011 address question poll which lets users submit questions that will actually be addressed by the president if they get enough likes. The top three video questions are concerning the end of marijuana prohibition, and one of them provides this video.

I know we've probably had this discussion before, but do you guys think marijuana should be legalized? The pros are all seen in the video, and the only con I can think of is the mild health effects if used heavily. Thoughts?

(And feel free to discuss any other SOTU stuff too.)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: State Of The Union 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
 :hat

yes

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
I need another mod to move this to P/R. There's really only one place for a thread like this

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
I need another mod to move this to P/R. There's really only one place for a thread like this
Oh wow I'm actually really sorry. I literally never post in that subforum so I completely forgot about it. My bad.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: State Of The Union 2011 [MOD PLEASE MOVE TO P/R, SORRY]
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »
And just a notice about the discussion: Remember rule 11. I will not warn anybody this time. Any violations will result in a temp ban

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Doesn't the  :hat emoticon violate forum rules?

Lol... not that I'm offering any reasonable critique or anything.. just asking for consistensy....

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
I think there are more risks involved with alcohol being legal, so there's no reason it shouldn't be legal...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »
Sadly I'm guessing that this thread is going to be locked.

Cool video, and I voted yes.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
But if marijuana is made legal, cops will have a lot less to arrest people for. That is not fair!

I'm actually for its legalization. It would help the economy (right?) and would stop sending too many people to jail for doing something harmless.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
But if marijuana is made legal, cops will have a lot less to arrest people for. That is not fair!

I'm actually for its legalization. It would help the economy (right?) and would stop sending too many people to jail for doing something harmless.
Plus drug wars would be almost nonexistent for marijuana, as shown in the end of the video. Really the video demonstrates everything.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »
We have this discussion every couple of months.  If memory serves, PLM is the only person who posts on the pro-prohibition side.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »
Yeah it seems to come up rather often, but this can be a general State Of The Union thread too. Plus now it's not just talk of legalization for purchase with ID and a heavy tax, this time it would be directly addressed by the president if it gets enough likes.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »
I'm too lazy to watch that speech, but is there actually any connection with MJ and the address?

wtf is the internet?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
I'm too lazy to watch that speech, but is there actually any connection with MJ and the address?

You mean that video in the OP?  It's an animated 3:30 minute video that deals directly with MJ. :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
Well if the marijuana questions get enough likes in the YouTube campaign, the president will address them. And the top three video questions are all marijuana-related so chances are good that we'll hear something about it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 04:41:59 PM »
You guys know where I stand. It should be legalized, for recreation as well as medicinal purposes.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
What bothers me more about the prohibition of Marijuana is the original reason it was prohibited in the first place. Oh corporate greed, how you fail to amuse me.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:53 PM »
Here is the youtube page for asking Obama questions. Type in "marijuana" in the search.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
You guys think that this is going to change anything? Because as far as I can tell, it's all talk on the liberal side. It would never pass.

If you want my personal opinion, in about 20 or so years, when all the old guys are dead, the new generation will finally legalize marijuana, gay marriage, etc because they won't be 'big deals' anymore

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
Only reason it's a big deal now is because it's illegal. How many problems are caused over cigarettes? Barely any compared to marijuana problems, and a good 95% of marijuana problems are only "problems" because someone has it, not because of something they did because of it. As Chris Webby said:

"Fuck all the commercials, they all straight lies

Actin' like I'm gonna kill a mother fucker 'cause I'm high

The most I'm likely to do is open the fridge, chill on the couch, and never end up leaving my crib"

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
It should absolutely be legalized.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »
Yes, but that's it.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »
Marijuana is a memory-loss drug and does mess up lives...but then again so do alcohol and cigarettes even more so.  Instinctively I say "no"...but then again, the government could make a killing off an imposed marijuana sales tax if it hits major vendors.  :biggrin:

I voted no, but I am really impartial to the whole thing at the moment and need to think about it more.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:21 PM »
Marijuana is a memory-loss drug and does mess up lives...but then again so do alcohol and cigarettes even more so.  Instinctively I say "no"...but then again, the government could make a killing off an imposed marijuana sales tax if it hits major vendors.  :biggrin:

I voted no, but I am really impartial to the whole thing and need to think about it more.
Doing it a lot will probably mess up your life, but like you said so will alcohol and cigarettes. In that respect it's equal if not lesser than those two legal products.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:12 PM »
I would like to see what PLM has to say, but I don't know if that's a completely justified way to go about making laws.  Just cause something more severe is legal doesn't mean everything less severe should automatically be legal too (in my POV). 

Maybe if there was a permit or a type of restriction on how much marijuana you could buy at a given time so it couldn't easily be abused, it would be fine and I might be on board.  And an age restriction of course.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 06:54:15 PM »
I would like to see what PLM has to say, but I don't know if that's a completely justified way to go about making laws.  Just cause something more severe is legal doesn't mean everything less severe should automatically be legal too (in my POV). 

Maybe if there was a permit or a type of restriction on how much marijuana you could buy at a given time so it couldn't easily be abused, it would be fine and I might be on board.  And an age restriction of course.
Oh of course, I agree totally with you on the restrictions. I'm just saying that it having more pros and less cons than things that are legal is helping its case.

If it happens, I think they'll make it illegal to buy if you're under 21 (reason is because it is a mind-altering drug, just like alcohol. Mind-altering sounds so much more severe to say haha), and it will be heavily taxed.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »

Well, my POV is pretty well known here lol. But for your benefit I'll tell you what I think:

First of all, your point about "cause something more severe is legal doesn't mean everything less severe should automatically be legal too", is a good piece of logic. Just because it doesn't seem harmful doesn't mean it's not at all, and I related a personal story a while ago about that. It's shoddy logic. Although, if I had my way, alcohol and tobacco products would all be illegal.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
That's pretty extreme...but I must say in an ideal world I would agree with you.  Then again, in an ideal world, Sovereign Dream would be calling the shots, and all alcoholics and druggies would be shipped off to their own respective planets, and each of our planetary communites would be so unified and lacking of diversity that it'd be boring.  So I'll take the real world, thank you very much.  :biggrin:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »
Actually, after seeing this commercial, I think marijuana should remain illegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRfmi2NO_yg

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »
Holy fucking shit. Never again.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »
I remember that commercial.

Really though, from what I remember, the only thing you wanna put in your mouth is lots of food.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
 Don't get me wrong, food tastes absolutely amazing and so much more delicious. But the feeling of unbearable hunger, or the urge to eat everything in site, are things that I never experienced...

Actually, thats a complete lie.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
Yeah, plus I heard when you're high you don't usually fall off balconies or anything like that.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »
So guys I just watched reefer madness and now I am afraid I may have killed my family with an axe because of weed what do I do?

:neverusethis:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3