Author Topic: The UMH Song Roulette v. No Metal (FINAL RESULTS POSTED)  (Read 29551 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: The UMH Song Roulette v. No Metal (ROUND 5 RESULTS POSTED)
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
Well, I was giving it a fair shake. I don't really consider hearing 2 songs from a band "knowing" them well enough to form a judgment on their entire discography. It's okay, you're still poised to make it to the semi-finals.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
Sent.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »
I can see how someone would call Claudio's voice whiny.  Especially on the first two albums when they were straying further from their punk/emo roots.  But I don't see how Jonas' voice is whiny at all.  Its kind of exactly how Sonata perfectly described it.

The only real problem I have with you not liking high-octave singers outside of metal is that those are typically my favorite kinds of vocalists, which makes sending songs for this roulette somewhat difficult.  You'd probably call Matt Bellamy or Thom Yorke whiny as well, which keeps me from sending awesome songs from Muse and Radiohead. :(

EDIT: dammit lateralus I was going to send a Mars Volta song but I can't because you had to submit it earlier.

God damn you.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2011, 01:35:39 AM »
:D

I knew you'd like the things that I like about that Asia song, but I took a risk as I wasn't sure how much you'd dig the classic rock vibe. Glad you liked it though!

Hmm, what to send next...?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2011, 05:59:10 AM »
I can see how someone would call Claudio's voice whiny.  Especially on the first two albums when they were straying further from their punk/emo roots.  But I don't see how Jonas' voice is whiny at all.  Its kind of exactly how Sonata perfectly described it.

The only real problem I have with you not liking high-octave singers outside of metal is that those are typically my favorite kinds of vocalists, which makes sending songs for this roulette somewhat difficult.  You'd probably call Matt Bellamy or Thom Yorke whiny as well, which keeps me from sending awesome songs from Muse and Radiohead. :(
I fucking despise Muse, so it's a good thing you weren't tricked into thinking I'd like it.  :tup
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
Jesus Christ UMH if you're going to hate good music don't invite people who like it into your roulette :P

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
I love good music. Don't know what you're on about.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
Sent.

Went with a bit of a curveball this time, but hopefully you'll dig it! If you don't, then your most recent post in this thread will have been a lie!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
Waiting on Kev

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2011, 06:57:17 AM »
Kev submits Justin Bieber.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
All songs sent. Results up by tomorrow.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2011, 03:58:59 AM »
I expect to be getting maximum points.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:21 AM »
WHERE'S MAH RESULTS?!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
5 Points - Ariich
The Cat Empire - Fishies
I've been thinking a lot about how to start off this write-up. I figured I could mention how this is the best thing I've ever heard. Then, I thought I'd tell the story about how I've wondered if music like this existed (I've been into ska-punk for a while, but always wanted something focused on the horns). Finally, I decided I'd start it this way: OMGWTFBBQ THE TRUMPET. I've been playing the trumpet for about 7 years now, and up until this point I've never found music with good trumpet that was worth listening to 500 times. This song (and the album, I listened to it straight after hearing this song) is pure bliss. The Latin vibe in the bass sets the mood perfectly, and those unique vocals come in to set up the story. The pre-chorus gives away that something awesome is coming, and BOOM TRUMPET MELODY. This melody has been stuck in my head for the past 4 days. Seriously. The trumpet/piano duel in the middle of the song is just amazing too. You said you thought this was a risky move, but you ended up defining "High risk=High reward". Congratulations.

4 Points - KevShmev
Camel - Lunar Sea
Now this is just delicious. Camel is a band I've wanted to explore for quite some time, but I never really knew where to start. This one certainly seems like a perfect introduction to the band. The synth textures are great, and when the odd-time groove kicks in it just gets better. I love how the synth solos lay over top the softer sections, and then the guitar solos play over the more turbulent sections. Great contrast. Old prog in general is kind of a grey area for me. I like King Crimson, Rush, and some other random songs by older bands (like Yes), so I was waiting for something like this. Great stuff.

4 Points - DTVT
Marillion - Sugar Mice
Well, it definitely makes perfect sense to use a bit of this song in Surrounded. Extremely similar vibe. Since I'm quite fond of Surrounded, so I didn't have much trouble appreciating this song. Everything about this song is really relaxing and ethereal. I feel like if I believed in heaven that this would be the song playing while I was ascending up to kick it with Jesus and the crew. I've honestly never been much of a fan of Fish, but he's pretty great here. The guitar solo is fabulous as well, and reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd (Mother, especially. Makes sense considering Chaos In Motion used that bit as well). Looks like I definitely need to get this album, as I know quite a few people on DTF are crazy for it.

3 Points - lateralus88
Estradasphere - Smuggled Mutation
I had absolutely no idea what to expect with this one. The band name, the song title, the opening seeing a strange guy playing the violin. I was waiting for it to turn into a basic song, but it never did. It turned into Fiddle Metal. :metalol: I was considering marking this down a point because of the metal, but it's not the focus of the song. The focus is on the violin and the accordion. That said, this song is complete and total chaos, and I adore it. Must explore further.

3 Points - skydivingninja
My Morning Jacket - What a Wonderful Man
Very stately piano intro. This song reminds me a lot of The Beatles. I was honestly amazed to find out that this band wasn't from the early 70s. Sure, the production values are obviously quite a bit better than 70s production would have been, but this gets that vibe across almost TOO well. Congrats on picking a singer who doesn't sound whiny this time.  ;)

2 Points - Sigz
Brand New - Degausser
Hitting me again with that dreamy music. Can't say I'm complaining. This is a really great song. The vocalist has a really great voice, especially when he's harmonizing. The transition into the heavier section is just awesome. Sadly, the singer's voice kind of goes sour. I think it would have helped the song to keep the vocal tone from the verses. Still a good song though.

2 Points - sonatafanica
Bjork - Hyperballad
I've been kicking myself for 4 days over this song. I told you to send me Bjork, and I end up not caring for it that much. I'm so ashamed. It's definitely not a bad song, but it's just not all that interesting to me. The focus is clearly on her vocals, and while I can definitely appreciate that, I just need a bit more to listen to. On the plus side, I do dig the electronic vibe, and the driving backbeat. It's not really so much her voice either, she has a really great tone. I just kind of have some issues with the way she pronounces certain words. More of a pet peeve than anything. It gets better as it presses on with more layers added to the background, and I'll definitely explore further, but this was a bit of a disappointment.

1 Point - AcidRainLTE
Static Crap - Journey Through The Moor (Live)
This song defines pure excellence. The seemingly incoherent ranting actually tells a multi-faceted story full of rich lines and astounding character development. The echoing in the vocals combined with the synth textures give a very mysterious vibe, wondering how dangerous this journey must have been. The ending with the poor protagonist's suicide over Brian's house is just a flawless ending that ends abruptly to show how sudden death can be. A truly poetic masterpiece. However, I have to mark off 4 points because you broke the unwritten Static Crap rule. Sending in the greatest band known to mankind is simply cheating. Sorry.

Ariich - 23 Points
sonatafanica - 22 Points
DTVT - 21 Points
lateralus88 - 19 Points

KevShmev - 17 Points
AcidRainLTE - 17 Points
Sigz - 15 Points
skydivingninja - 11 Points

Finalists are in bold. To the rest of you: Good job. You all introduced me to at least one thing that I'm itching to explore further. Yes, even SDN.

Semi-Final Round: Open
What an enormous surprise. An open round, even for the semi-finals. I swear there will be a theme for the final, but in this round we will be eliminating 2 people. The 2 songs I like the most will be awarded tickets to the ultimate final round of the UMH Song Roulette!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UMH Song Roulette v. No Metal (ROUND 6 RESULTS POSTED)
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Static Crap should have got me 50 points.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »

2 Points - sonatafanica
Bjork - Hyperballad
I've been kicking myself for 4 days over this song. I told you to send me Bjork, and I end up not caring for it that much. I'm so ashamed. It's definitely not a bad song, but it's just not all that interesting to me. The focus is clearly on her vocals, and while I can definitely appreciate that, I just need a bit more to listen to. On the plus side, I do dig the electronic vibe, and the driving backbeat. It's not really so much her voice either, she has a really great tone. I just kind of have some issues with the way she pronounces certain words. More of a pet peeve than anything. It gets better as it presses on with more layers added to the background, and I'll definitely explore further, but this was a bit of a disappointment.

How could an ICELANDIC singer with a heavy ICELANDIC accent who learned English with an English accent EVER pronounce words in a strange way

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »
I know, I know. I was expecting it, but it still bothers me. Sorry.  :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2011, 04:06:37 PM »
YAY! :D

So glad you liked it so much dude. The Cat Empire are one of my absolute favourite bands, and So Many Nights is definitely my favourite album of theirs. All their albums are good, but I'd probably recommend their self-titled debut as the next place to go. Less variety than SMN, but lots of fun, lots of trumpet, and lots of latin vibe. The backing horn players are really good, but it's the lead trumpeter who is just incredible, and he's also the guy who sings the high falsetto type stuff. And he also does scat singing. Seriously if they ever play near you, you have to go see them, their gig was probably the most fun show I've ever been to.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:12:04 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
Static Crap should have got me 50 points.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2011, 04:44:30 AM »
Justin, I assume this open semi-final still has the 'no metal' rule?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2011, 04:54:30 AM »
Hm...let me think.

Nah.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2011, 05:51:29 AM »
:o

Dammit, that widens the scope so much. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »
Oh god metal is allowed now? LET'S BRING OUT THE BIG GUNS.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Man, you guys taking this shit super srs or something? I THIRST FOR MUSIC.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2011, 04:37:51 AM »
Well, I've already won the league part of it, which basically proves that I'm the most awesome. :hat

BUT I WANT TO WIN THE FINALS AS WELL

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2011, 04:39:25 AM »
Yeah, you lucked into first place. The scores are all pretty close. I'm very excited for how this will turn out.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
Well, I've already won the league part of it, which basically proves that I'm the most awesome. :hat

BUT I WANT TO WIN THE FINALS AS WELL

That might be how they do things over in Euro land, but playoffs are what count in America, and I'm playing for blood now.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
Yeah, you lucked into first place.
:yeahright

Also, sent. No idea if I'll make the final, but I'm sure you'll dig the song regardless.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
No idea if I'll make the final, but I'm sure you'll dig the song regardless.

Me too.  I think I'm taking a big risk even though I don't possibly see how UMH won't like it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2011, 05:02:21 AM »
Results will be up by Sunday if sonatafanica wakes up and sends a song.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »
*wakes up*

bwuh

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
FINALIST - Ariich
Ark - Just A Little
2 times in a row now, you've sent me something that had my jaw on the floor. The vibe in the beginning of this song is amazing, and it gives off the same mood as the bridge of Learning to Live. Instead of getting James LaBrie throwing F#'s around, though, we get the far too overlooked Jorn Lande. This guy has such a powerful voice, but almost nobody ever talks to him. This song only reinforces my wondering as to why. His singing on this song (and any other song he sings on) is so emotive, it can take a mediocre song and turn it into a masterwork. Thankfully, this song kicks ass to begin with, so we're left with a clusterfuck of awesomeness. The solo section with the keyboard/guitar trade-off is a perfect bridge, and Jorn's ad-libbing over the final chorus just brings the song right home. Flawless.

FINALIST - DTVT
Frameshift - Arms Races
Well, this is a nice piece of prog metal we've got here. All the ingredients are in place: Heavy riffage, epic solos, awesome keyboards, and James LaBrie. Unfortunately, when you have one of the most recognizable voices in progressive music, it's tough to get by without sounding a bit generic. Ayreon had no problem using LaBrie, since there were so many stylistic shifts. Without hearing the full album, I can't be sure that this is a problem, but it's the only real issue I have with this song. The vocals are outstanding, of course, the chorus is catchy and sticks right in my brain, the solos are just awesome, and in a desperate attempt to make this sentence go on for just a bit longer, I'll mention the cool little bass fill in the intro. Great stuff.

ELIMINATED - sonatafanica
Norrin_Radd - Anomally
I've been waiting for this. All this talk I've heard from you about chiptune and I had been purposely avoiding it knowing that you'd be in the roulette bombarding me with it, and it took this long. I must say, I'm not disappointed. This is everything I love about video game music, with tasty death growls over top of it. What the fuck's not to love? The only issue is that the death growls really clash with the 8-bit stuff, and while it's something I could fathom loving eventually, I'm not too fond of it at the moment. Overall, you have performed excellently in this roulette, and you've only confirmed the reason why I picked you. You have a fabulous, diverse taste in music, and shouldn't be ashamed of your performance in this roulette. Rock on.  :metal

ELIMINATED - lateralus88
Psyclon 9 - Crwn Thy Frnicatr
Well, this is out there, to say the least. I totally dig the pounding bass drum and the Rammstein-like riffage and keyboards. This reminds me a whole hell of a lot of Rammstein's first album, honestly. However, there is one huge, glaring, screaming exception. The vocals aren't all that great. They definitely fit the song, but this could benefit a lot from having a clean vocalist like Till. This isn't a bad song at all, but it happened to come out the weakest in this round. Sorry for your luck, mang. The only reason you didn't win this is because I already listen to everything you like.  :tup

ROUND 8: Stolen Idea Theater v. Rich
Send me an album. I've received quite a few remarks that the albums these songs come off of are ridiculously strong, and before you ask, I'll just answer right here. No. Find something different unless it got less than 3 points, and if that's the case, it had better be a mighty impressive album. Bring it on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:43:46 AM by Ultimetalhead »

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
Oh well, if this roulette was a "send me stuff you know I already love" I would have floored you all :neverusethis:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3