Author Topic: Drum Heads  (Read 4045 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Drum Heads
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »
I think this is an appropriate spot for this.

So for the toms, I was looking at buying Evans Onyx Heads or the G2 Coated Heads. It's between those two. However, I don't know what to do for the snare or bass drum.

Any help is appreciated. The kit I use is a Pearl Soundcheck. Cheap, but perfect for me.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
Re: Drum Heads
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
I'm a Remo man, myself. For the toms right now, I'm using the dotted heads, but I prefer clear Pinstripes and on the snare I have a coated Powerstroke 3 which is amazing because when cranked, that thing has a nice pop with just barely any ring behind it, which is what I look for in a snare head. On the kick, I'm unfortunately using a Powersonic. I'm going to get a clear Powerstroke 3 for that one as well. I'd say try those ones out. You can always tune the head to your taste. I get these particular sounds because that's the way I tune my kit  :)
Brave
Murder
Day

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
Thanks, I'll consider those. I'm open to anything really. I just want to get rid of the stock heads.  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
Haha yeah, anything but those will sound great. How long you been playing?
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »
My 8-piece Tama Rockstar just arrived the other day, and I haven't set it up yet, but I know I'm gonna get new heads, so I should definitely be in this thread. I've never even changed a head before; never really had to on my old set because the toms were so dampened.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:57:13 PM »
On and off for the past 2 years. I used to play drums after school with my friends while they played guitar and bass. This past Christmas, I got a drum set. Right now, I'm trying to get comfortable and get the kit to sound great and get it to a sound that I really enjoy.

Birch Boy: What color is your set?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:49:44 PM »
*Drools over Birch Boy's Tama Rockstar* Oops, sorry *wipes drool off*.

Lol. I have a black Tama Stagestar. I'd love to have a black Starclassic, but they cost a lot of money. When I get out of film school and make my first film, I'll buy one  :)

SystematicThought: If you have any questions about drums/playing/warming up/gear or...well, anything lol, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help in any way that I can. Also, there are a few more drummers on here like Birch Boy whom I am sure will have no problem lending a helpful word or two  :) :biggrin: .
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »
My set's in brushed burgundy metallic (the newest color available), and it's incredibly sharp. Depending on the lighting and angle you look at it from, it can be anywhere from a brown to a red and even black if there are not many lights. Here's a picture of someone else's set in the same color: https://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/images/Tama%20kits/Tama%20Superstar%20Hyper-Drive%205%20piece%20kit%20w%20hardware%20-%20Brushed%20Burgundy%20Metallic.jpg.

And yeah, I've been playing for about three and a half years, so I can probably offer some advice if needed. Although I'm not very sufficient with maintenance because my old kit never needed much changing/tuning/etc...

I also bought another Tama Roadpro boomstand (extremely recommended) and an 18" Zildjian Oriental Trash China (same one Lars Ulrich from Metallica uses).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:51:28 AM »
We need a "post a pic of your kit" thread.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.  :eyebrows:  :brettfavre:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
I ended up going with the Evans Onyx on the batter side and Evans G1s on the resonant. I am very please with the results. Everything on my kit is pretty much black and it looks sweet. Maybe I will post a picture later

Thanks everyone on their opinions. I truly appreciate them!
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:10:31 PM »
I'm all for clear heads on toms. It just doesn't feel or look right when I play on coated heads.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »
I'm all for clear heads on toms. It just doesn't feel or look right when I play on coated heads.
I'm the exact opposite for some reason. I never was looking for clear toms on the top. I was between the G2s and Onyx and a few others.

I'm just having difficulty getting the snare wire back on after I changed out the bottom head. Any tips on how to get that so I get a snare sound of the snare drum.  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:35 PM »
Never changed a snare head. :-\

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
The wire is what is making me mad. I just can't get it quite right.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
Hello.

Without knowing exactly how you are struggling with the snare, i'm not sure i can help but i'll try.
Firstly i would set the strainer to the off position and loosen it completely.

Next would be to lock the little plastic tabs into the clamps on either side. You don't want the wire to be too tight at this point as the lever is set to off and it's going to be very difficult flip the lever up.

Then i would flip the lever up and see how the sound is, tightening the strainer until i get a sound i'm happy with for this stage.
If the snare wont go tight enough, loosen the turny thing (actual technical term  :lol ) flip the lever down and tighten the snare by pulling one or both of the plastic tabs towards the batter side of the drum, re-tighten the clamps and try again.

I hope this makes sense and isn't at all patronising. This turned out to be harder than i thought. I've never had to write instructions for anything now that i think about it.

When you get this far, take a look at this vid for an idea of how to get  a balanced sound from your snare.

https://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/snare-drum-tuning.php

I hope i have been of some help :)

Edit: I'm with Birch Boy on this one, clear heads on toms all the way. For me it's currently Remo, emperors on the batter side  with diplomats for response.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
Nope, it helped. I've been struggling with it for awhile but I finally got it right

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »
Wow.  Why do you have your rack toms spaces so far apart?  I have mine basically centered on the bass drum with about a drumstick width between them.  They way you have them set up, seem like a lot of wasted movement if you go for a fill using both rack toms.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
I don't know actually. I've been playing around with them and have been putting them in different positions. They aren't like this now, but they were comfortable
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen