Author Topic: Best concert you have ever been to?  (Read 22340 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Best concert you have ever been to?
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »
My favorite shows:

Rush, 2007, 2010 (2010 gold for best performance, silver for best lights. 2007 gold medal for most religious experience)
Bruce Springsteen, 2009 (gold medal for most emotional I've been at a concert, silver for performance)
Coheed & Cambria, Porcupine Tree, The Dear Hunter, 2010 (gold for best lineup)
Coheed & Cambria, 2012 (best setlist)
Muse, 2010 (gold medal best lights)
Sigur Ros, 2012 (gold medal for most beautiful concert ever. Silver for most emotional)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:03 AM »
I've only been to 4... Ranking them would look something like this:

Dream Theater, A Dramatic Tour of Events 2012

David Gray, Summer 2011
Agalloch, Summer 2012

Thrice, Spring 2012
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
Steven Wilson earlier this year on the GFD-tour probs.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »
Dream Theater - ADTOE tour - Boston Oct. '11

Coheed & Cambria - Central Park NYC - May '10
Periphery - Frak the Gods Tour - Worcester '11

Offline jammindude

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
To my list, I should also add Rush Test For Echo Tour Summer of 1997.   10th Row as they played 2112 in its entirety for the very first time.  Gold.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Devin Townsend Project - October 10th, 2011 at the Ravari Room in Columbus Ohio.
Almost 250 people backed in a little bar, with Devin walking through the crowd while playing. It was absolutely amazing! :metal :metal

Next would be seeing Dream Theater at the Fillmore in Detroit on June 22nd earlier this year. Definitely the best I have seen DT so far. They played some of my favorites, got to see most of King Crimson and got pics with Tony Levin and got him to sign my ticket!! My friend almost cried!
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline jag66

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
Porcupine Tree @ The Royal Albert Hall

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
To my list, I should also add Rush Test For Echo Tour Summer of 1997.   10th Row as they played 2112 in its entirety for the very first time.  Gold.

Same... I had 7th row though.

However, front row centre (just between JLB and JMX) for the Arizona show last December.  Pure bliss.  The venue was a true musical theater, so there was no gap between row 1 and the stage.  I was leaning against the stage all night long.  I could've fucked up with JR's keytar solo's if I wanted to.  He was literally within arms reach.

20th Anniv tour, and BCSL show in Toronto were cool too... got to see Jacob's Ladder and Camera Eye cover's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline robbob

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
Tough call between 3 concerts for me.

Van Halen - 1980 Chgo Ampitheater Was extremely loud and by far the most craziest and rowdiest concert I've been to. Everybody was standing on their seats and rocking the whole show.

Rush - 2004 30th Anniv Show Chgo 1st MW Bank Ampitheater. Great, great setlist, loved the medley and all of the old stuff they played.

DT - Tie between 1st time I seen them in 2007 Rosemont Theater (Blind Faith,Lines in the Sand,Scarred) and this past June at Chgo Theater (BAI, Metropolis,)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »
I can't pick a favorite from these 4.

Rush at MSG last year. Had 4th row seats. The whole show was amazing but the highlights were The Camera Eye, La Villa, and Working Man

Porcupine Tree at Radio City in 2010. I was a relatively new fan so I didn't know some of the older stuff but it was an excellent show. After hearing most of it live, The Incident really grew on me.

Steven Wilson at the Best Buy Theater last year. Even though I waited in line for almost 2 hours to get a good spot, then waited for what seemed like eternity for the show to start due to delays, this show may have been better than PT. I was right near the front of the stage, in front of Nick Beggs, and the whole band was on fire. The visuals/videos were outstanding.

Dream Theater at the Beacon last year. It was my first DT, and only one so far. I loved hearing the new stuff live especially Breaking All Illusions and Outcry.

Marillion in NYC this year and Anglagard at Nearfest were also great shows.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:34:40 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
Monsters Of Rock, Castle Donington, 1984.

AC/DC
Van Halen
Ozzy Osbourne
Gary Moore
Motley Crue
Y&T
Accept

A beautiful sunny day too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
Frost* in Philly a few years back. Goosebumps from beginning to end, and then having a chat with Jem and the others outside the venue and later in a bar. Oh, and running into Nick D'Virgilio in the hotel :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
Monsters Of Rock, Castle Donington, 1984.

AC/DC
Van Halen
Ozzy Osbourne
Gary Moore
Motley Crue
Y&T
Accept

A beautiful sunny day too.

Now that is a concert!!

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »
Some of my best and most memorable concerts are my first Pink Floyd 1987 in Hannover, Germany. To hear SOYCD and Comfortably Numb live for the first time was beyond amazing and I got to two more times on that tour.

My first Metallica 1993 on Gentofte stadion. Sang and screamed so much that I had no voice the next day

Pink Floyd 1994 Berlin. Thought they would open with SOYCD, but they took me by surprise and opened instead with Astromony Domine, which is one of my favorites from their early days and I never imagined to hear it live. The whole concert (stage, sound, lights) was just amazing

Pink Floyd 23. sept 1994 Lyon was a special one. Came to Lyon on the day of show and the weather was cloudy and sure enough in the afternoon it started to rain. It still rained as we stood there waiting in stadion for the concert to start and then the band came on and 2-3 minutes into SOYCD the rain had stopped. It kept dry the whole show and once the concert was finished and we were walking out the stadion it started to pour down again. I can only conclude that even the weather Gods take a breake when Gilmour starts playing. It was also the day were I saw them play the whole TDSOTM. I will never forget that day

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »
TFE was probably my best Rush show, as well.  Fifth row, dead center, and spent the whole time watching NP do his thing from 20' away.  Just captivating.

I really enjoyed the '85 Pink Floyd tour, but our seats were actually too close to the stage.  After seeing it on PULSE, I think I'd have preferred to see the big picture rather than the musicians.  Besides, with the size and height of that stage, even from the fifth row, they were still a long ways off. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »
The T4E tour was such a great tour. They were so on.  I saw them in Mass from the 5th row and that's the version of 2112 on Different Stages
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
Sabaton - 4/19 in Kansas City, MO. There were maybe 100 people tops in a pretty big venue. Essentially the place seemed empty, but every single person was crammed to the front, singing and yelling their hearts out, and the band was obviously feeding off this energy.

Plus, got to chat with the guitarist afterward outside by their bus.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »
Probably either Iron Maiden and Dream Theater in 2010 or Judas Priest last year.  :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »
U2 - 2011-06-07 O.co Coliseum.

Offline jmarkwilson

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
Roger Waters Wembley Arena 21-11-87 Radio KAOS tour.

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
Kamelot - The Black Halo Tour (2006, New York City)

Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth Tour (2006, Philadelphia)

Stratovarius - Stratovarius World Tour (2006, New York City)

Ozzfest 2004 (Camden, NJ)

Steve Vai - Real Illusions Tour (2005, Philadelphia)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:50:52 PM by RichardRG »

Offline dongringo

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
Having attended over 200 concerts I've seen so many great ones. I think though that the overall greatness award has to go to Roger Waters The Wall Live (Portland).
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
Roger Waters Wembley Arena 21-11-87 Radio KAOS tour.

Saw that tour in Oakland, great show.

Here's one for jingle.boy and other fogies,  Ric Emmit solo at the Omni in Oakland. 500 person club, I was able to touch his mic stand and read the set list.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
Never got to see Emmit live solo.  Very cool.

Billy Cobham Scullers Jazz Club.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »
Changing my answers from last year...

1. Roger Waters - The Wall Tour - Philly  (tied with) Dream Theater - ADTOE Tour - Anaheim (first DT show IN DA PIT)
2. Black Label Society - 2009 - Los Angeles (a few days after my dad died. very emotional)
3. Victor Wooten - Both times I saw him in Hollywood in 2009 / 2010 I think.... amazing show
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
1.  Liquid Tension Experiment (or Liquid Trio Experiment 2) - June 2008
2.  Tori Amos at the Vic Theatre -  Oct. 2007
3.  Return to Forever/Zappa Plays Zappa, front row seats - August 2011

Each one of these concerts was memorable for different reasons.

1.  Well, obviously.
2.  Not only did she do an "I fucked up" song ad lib but also she did Me And A Gun with instruments with the first (and only) time... I don't think she's performed it live since either.
3.  I met Chick Corea, Lenny White, Stanley Clarke, and Frank Gambale after the show (Jean-Luc Ponty unfortuantely wasn't feeling very well and so didn't meet many people)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
I've been to so many amazing concerts with so many awesome occurrences that it's impossible to nail down just one.

First Devin Townsend show I ever saw: I wrote him a really terrifying letter, and he read it aloud and told everyone that I had problems. Video proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lUWtlU0Mb4

Second Devin Townsend show: Met him outside the venue beforehand. Gave him another letter. He only read the first line "to whom it may concern" since it was even more graphic than the last one. No video, unfortunately, but he announced me to the crowd as the "fuzzy hair kid". I couldn't have been happier.

Before the Dream Theater show in Detroit, I hung out with the guys from Crimson Projekct outside the venue. Got to meet JLB, MM, and JP on their way into the venue. JP shook my hand and, well, I cried. Seriously.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
I've been to so many amazing concerts with so many awesome occurrences that it's impossible to nail down just one.

First Devin Townsend show I ever saw: I wrote him a really terrifying letter, and he read it aloud and told everyone that I had problems. Video proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lUWtlU0Mb4

:lol :lol :lol