Author Topic: Queensryche (original band only) appreciation thread  (Read 15785 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Queensryche (original band only) appreciation thread
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
True.  I had forgotten about that. 

Anyhow, kind of back on topic, that footage of Chris from Saturday really has me longing for "the good ole' days again."  I think Slater did a good job finding and channeling the old sound on American Soldier.  It's a shame that album was ruined by Geoff's singing (and, in some fans' opinions, some other experimentation that should not have been done).  But it came closest to anything recent of really sounding like original Queensryche.  I think I'm going to have to listen to my old Live In Tokyo footage later to recapture some of the magic from a time when that band not only nailed it in the studio, but could somehow sound ever-better-than-studio in a live settig.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Stay on topic, bosk1!   :lol

That record and guy have nothing to do with the original lineup!  lol.  But we could start a thread here to talk about that album. I'd love to. Start one!  p.s. I started one for ya.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
No, I don't want to go down that road.  I'm just saying I think soundwise, there are at least plenty of moments that take me back to that special place that I often found myself when listening to the EP - HITNF material, that's all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:44 AM »
Too late, I started the thread. Take part, or you are banished.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
  I think I'm going to have to listen to my old Live In Tokyo footage later to recapture some of the magic from a time when that band not only nailed it in the studio, but could somehow sound ever-better-than-studio in a live settig.
:hefdaddy
Great footage! I was so in love with this band during the EP/Warning days. They really threw me for a loop with RFO (and promo pics!), but they proved to be so visionary with that album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »
To me, the band was visionary in its approach until HITNF. And it wasn't because the album had a lot of filler. It had more to do with the fact that each Queensryche album, while it had modern nuances in it (like HITNF), the albums all seemed to be ahead of the game. The Warning really incorporated a Floyd/progressive sound with the Priest and Maiden influences, Rage pushed that further, Mindcrime was a glorious conceptual metal record, and Empire bridged that gap between metal and progressive rock in the mainstream arena...with production values so high that engineers used the album to test rooms (that is a fact)! Then Promised Land pushed them to explore a darker, more introspective, rock element. Totally unexpected departure.

HITNF was the first record where the constant tweak and evolution of the sound backfired. And to be honest, I think the record would have done really well, had the label and support for the record not gone belly-up. But HITNF really just had way too much filler on it.

Special, special band. That main songwriting team of DeGarmo-Tate-Wilton really had something.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
As far as HITNF, I'm still undecided whether the direction it took was truly an attempted further evolution that backfired, or whether it was just a band dynamic that had become too fractured by that point such that they didn't really get the sound they were going for.  This is pure, 100% speculation, but I can't help but wonder whether the latter was a big factor.  Given what we know of the band dynamic and how it deteriorated through the Empire tour and through the PL era, even with Chris in the band for the writing of HITNF, I don't think it's a stretch to think maybe the environment had just gotten to a point where Chris wasn't getting the input he needed and just couldn't really pull a lot of the other members' ideas together as he had in the past when things were different.

And, of course, I still love the album and think it is terrific.  But I recognize I'm in the minority on that one. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
Yeah, I agree Bosk. The approach they took on HITNF was fine, but it's just not strong enough. Definitely feels incomplete.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
HINF was a good record; but that's about it.  It's basically a plain jane rock album.  You would never want to introduce somebody to the band via this album.  On my ipod, I have every single Queensryche song- except "All I Want".  I hate that song with such a passion, it sounds like a Beatles song.  I praise Queensryche to people, but if they heard that song they would wonder what on earth I'm talking about.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2011, 07:48:38 PM »
That is why you fail.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »
I love "All I Want."  That's probably my favorite song from that album, and I generally like HITNF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2011, 06:08:04 AM »
My favorite track is probably Anytime Anywhere. That riff is actuaklly pretty bad ass.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
I love "All I Want."  That's probably my favorite song from that album, and I generally like HITNF.

It's not my favorite, but it's pretty good.  I wrote up a cool analysis for it years ago and how it ties into the album art, etc.  It's actually a pretty genius song once you get what Chris is actually saying.

That whole album is just kinda neat for all the little nuggets that you find just beneath the surface.  I mean, it's no Octavarium.  But still pretty nugget-filled for those willing to look.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »
A lot of bands in the 90's we're trying that "dry" sound in the instruments and vocals.  No effects at all. 

Off the top of my head was Rush Test For Echo.  Same dry vibe.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »
"The Voice Inside," "Hero" and "spOOl" are all very good songs, but even those songs are dragged down a bit by the awful dry and flat sound of the album as a whole.  And songs like "You," "Get a Life" and "Saved" are just really, really bad.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
A lot of bands in the 90's we're trying that "dry" sound in the instruments and vocals.  No effects at all. 

Off the top of my head was Rush Test For Echo.  Same dry vibe.

Even Awake, to some degree, suffers from that IMO.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:24 PM »
For me, HITNF's gems are:

spOOL
Hit the Black
The Voice Inside
Hero

Totally dig those songs, although out of those, only spOOL is something I'd consider a QR classic.

I also LOVE the music and guitar work on "You" but the lame lyrics kill it. "Reach" has some cool lyrics (particularly the legal mention in one of the verses), and a cool solo, but the song is a little bland. "Sign of the Times" is also cool, but not quite as good as the top 4.

The rest...I could leave. easily.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05:25 AM »

Totally dig those songs, although out of those, only spOOL is something I'd consider a QR classic.

Exactly this. How could the band which could produce sp00L at that point have made the rest of the album? It's almost like sp00L was a holdover from a more fruitful era.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2011, 04:11:02 AM »
'You' is actually one of my favourites on the record.  It's decent, if you are willing to spend the time on it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
"The Voice Inside," "Hero" and "spOOl" are all very good songs.
only spOOL is something I'd consider a QR classic.
It's almost like sp00L was a holdover from a more fruitful era.
"You" and "Spool" are the two standout tracks for me on the cd
spOOL story bros :tup
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:23:56 AM by contest_sanity »

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
I have always liked Hear in the Now Frontier. It's nowhere near as magical or passionate as their previous albums, but it's still very enjoyable. It shows a much lighter side to the band, as none of the material can be considered dark and depressing by any means; it sounds like they are just having a good time on the album. I like the fact there are 14 tracks, with most of them being extremely catchy. My favorites would have to be Spool, Miles Away, You, Hero, and Hit the Black.
However, this album does contain perhaps the worst two Queensryche songs of their entire career: Get a Life and Cuckoo's Nest, and having them be tracks #2 and 3 really get the album off to a slow start. I'm amazed they chose to include those two stinkers while making the wonderful Chasing Blue Sky a b-side.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2011, 12:42:26 AM »
"You" and "Spool" are the two standout tracks for me on the cd

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »
The guitar work on "You" is outstanding. Catchy song, but the lyrics really hurt the tune.

Good choice for a single though, and it did fairly well, all things considered.

The four songs slated as singles for that album were Sign of the Times, You, The Voice Inside and spOOL. Only the first two were officially released as singles, but the other two were going to follow. Great choices.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
I always thought "Some people fly" had great single/radio potential.  Any thoughts on that?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2011, 12:44:03 AM »
Sign Of The Times is a great song. I just recently discovered it (and Chasing Blue Sky) after only listening to their 1983-1994 stuff before.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
The guitar work on "You" is outstanding. Catchy song, but the lyrics really hurt the tune.

Eh.  They are no worse than One And Only. 

:yeahright:  Uh...okay, maybe not the best comparison.  :lol

The four songs slated as singles for that album were Sign of the Times, You, The Voice Inside and spOOL. Only the first two were officially released as singles, but the other two were going to follow. Great choices.

???  As pointed out, I thought Some People Fly was also a single.  I remember it getting a tiny bit of airplay, and I also remember it being listed the sticker on the front of the CD (there is probably an official name for those stickers that supposedly tell you what the "hits" on the album are). 

I didn't know The Voice Inside was slated to be a single (or if I knew, I forgot).  Great song.  I used to catch people off guard listening to my Queenryche mix tape back in the day because it would start off with I Remember Now, and instead of going into Anarchy X, I would have The Voice Inside right after, which I thought flowed AMAZINGLY. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »
"Some People Fly" was NOT a single. At all. If it got airplay, it got it because a DJ liked the tune. It was not a released single, nor was it a promo single.

As for the other poster who asked for thoughts on the tune, I think it is pretty lame, actually. I like the positive message, but the song is just sorta lame all around for me.

And bosky...One and Only smokes You both lyrically and musically. Any day of the week.

p.s. that flow of I Remember Now into The Voice Inside DOES work. A little different, and really makes no sense (LOL), but it works.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:57 AM »
Sign Of The Times is a great song. I just recently discovered it (and Chasing Blue Sky) after only listening to their 1983-1994 stuff before.

There are some good songs from Hear in the Now Frontier and Tribe. They just aren't as consistent as the material from 1983-1994. A lot more filler, particularly on Hear in the Now Frontier.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:54 AM »
"Some People Fly" was NOT a single. At all. If it got airplay, it got it because a DJ liked the tune. It was not a released single, nor was it a promo single.

Not saying you were wrong, I'm just a bit surprised because I thought it was a single based on the things I remembered.  But, yeah, you're right, not everything that gets airplay is necessarily a single.  Case in point:  I also heard Reach played during that same time period.  

But as far as One And Only...meh.  The only mediocre song on an otherwise stellar album.  Nice guitar work on the solo, especially the harmony.  But otherwise, a completely unmemorable song that could have been done by any band.

Going back to You for a second, another thing that elevates the song for me is the awesome hi-hat and tom beat that Scott has going on.  It's almost a bit kitschy, and it's not very complicated (a lot of my musician friends during that time period were REALLY irate about Scott's drumming on that album), but it's a really fun drum beat that drives and compliments the upbeat feel of the song.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:26:14 AM by bösk1 »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »

Eh.  They are no worse than One And Only. 

:yeahright:  Uh...okay, maybe not the best comparison.  :lol

???  As pointed out, I thought Some People Fly was also a single.  I remember it getting a tiny bit of airplay, and I also remember it being listed the sticker on the front of the CD (there is probably an official name for those stickers that supposedly tell you what the "hits" on the album are). 

I didn't know The Voice Inside was slated to be a single (or if I knew, I forgot).  Great song.  I used to catch people off guard listening to my Queenryche mix tape back in the day because it would start off with I Remember Now, and instead of going into Anarchy X, I would have The Voice Inside right after, which I thought flowed AMAZINGLY. 

Why on earth would you do that? That could be as close to sacrilidge as I have ever heard. Fatwas have been started for less.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
:lol  But as far as "why," I already explained that:  It flowed AMAZINGLY.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
HOW DARE YOU BOSK1!!!!  WHERE WAS YOUR HEAD DAMMIT!!! :lol

I loved making mix tapes and cd.s.  The digital world missed out. 

I remember hearing Cuckoo's Nest on radio quite a bit in Mass/N.H.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:15:28 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
I honestly don't understand the recent hate I've seen for that song.  I actually think it's pretty good.  Definitely in the upper half of that album.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »

Not saying you were wrong, I'm just a bit surprised because I thought it was a single based on the things I remembered.  But, yeah, you're right, not everything that gets airplay is necessarily a single.  Case in point:  I also heard Reach played during that same time period.  

You can't say I'm wrong, because I'm not. lol. You know better than to doubt my original Queensryche knowledge.  ;)

Yeah, I heard a bit of that record on the radio too. I heard Reach as well, and also heard them play Cuckoo's Nest. But the released singles off of it were officially Sign of the Times and You, with The Voice Inside and spOOL to have followed. You can sometimes find the promo singles for the latter on eBay. I THINK I have the spOOL one, and I still really want the one for The VOice Inside.

But as far as One And Only...meh.  The only mediocre song on an otherwise stellar album.  Nice guitar work on the solo, especially the harmony.  But otherwise, a completely unmemorable song that could have been done by any band.

Interesting perspective. I actually think that tune, musically, is much better than that. I place it (again, musically) above Resistance and Hand on Heart, easily.

Going back to You for a second, another thing that elevates the song for me is the awesome hi-hat and tom beat that Scott has going on.  It's almost a bit kitschy, and it's not very complicated (a lot of my musician friends during that time period were REALLY irate about Scott's drumming on that album), but it's a really fun drum beat that drives and compliments the upbeat feel of the song.

I agree the drumming is not very complicated, but your observation about the "fun" factor and complimenting the upbeat feel is dead-on...and very much intended from questions I asked of Scott about it.