Author Topic: Muse - Showbiz  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
Muse - Showbiz
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:33 AM »
Wow, just listened to this in full during my break at work after resisting for such a long time due to mixed reviews. Some mates at my old workplace raved about it like it was the greatest thing ever, while other, non-work mates lambasted it.

I can't believe I didn't bite the bullet sooner, this album rocks! While the track order is a bit unusual for the content of the music, the songs themselves are all great and have a real personality.

Favourites are definately Fillip, Cave, Unintended (wow at the vocal melody) and Uno. Bellamy can write some fine riffs too...

The only criticism hase to come in his Mercuryish vocals; I think they have a place but they seem a bit overplayed on the album. Showbiz immediately comes to mind, from around 3:30+ (doing that from memory). Nonetheless, a really great listen.

So the question is, am I in the majority or the minority?
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Muse - Showbiz
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:44 AM »
Uno is probably my least favorite Muse song (not counting The Resistance), but otherwise the album is great. Sunburn  :metal

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
Hey, "Resistance" is awesome!

Yeah, Showbiz doesn't get much love.  Its half good half meh for me.  Their three albums after that are all much better.  You should get them now if you don't have them already.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
Muse is great!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »
Hey, "Resistance" is awesome!

Yeah, Showbiz doesn't get much love.  Its half good half meh for me.  Their three albums after that are all much better.  You should get them now if you don't have them already.

Yeah Ive got all of their studio albums; it probably gets compared to Absolution & Origin, which are also awesome.

The Resistance...the less said the better. Probably the biggest let down ever. :tdwn
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
Agreed.  Three great albums in a row and then that?   :(  Good thing The Incident came out on the same day or it would've been a horrible birthday for me (both came in the mail on Sept. 13th, my bday before anyone wonders what I'm talking about).

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:09:26 PM »
Showbiz is probably my least favorite of Muse's albums, but it is definitely still rocking!

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »
hmm I'll keep this in mind after I get Origin of Symmetry.  :biggrin:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
Showbiz is a decent album, and a good debut. Uno is atrocious, but the rest is tolerable at least. I love the title track and Muscle Museum.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »
The Resistance is IMO the best Muse album, just because I can listen to it all the way through. Nice songs, and I really dig the symphony. They simplified their stuff even more to the core, and I can't say I don't like it. Great album, great hooks all the way.

That said, the other albums have better individual songs. IMO, nothing beats 'New Born'!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jag66

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
The Resistance is IMO the best Muse album, just because I can listen to it all the way through. Nice songs, and I really dig the symphony. They simplified their stuff even more to the core, and I can't say I don't like it. Great album, great hooks all the way.

That said, the other albums have better individual songs. IMO, nothing beats 'New Born'!

apart from the one 4 songs later  :biggrin: