What kind of music fan are you?

Less Music By Many Artists
6 (14.6%)
More Music By Fewer Artists
28 (68.3%)
Other (Specify In Post)
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Less Music By Many Artists OR More Music By Fewer Artists? Which Are You?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline The Letter M

I see a lot of "Recommendation" threads here, and I like that because it shows that many music fans are able to grow and appreciate a lot of music of various sounds, styles and genres... however, there are also many music fans who know what they like (and like what they know), and are often focused on a handful of artists/bands and tend to get EVERYTHING by them and their related releases.

I think many of us are one or the other since, I'm pretty sure, we're not all millionaires who could afford everything we wanted (GOD I wish...). Oh, and before there is any confusion, this isn't about the music you OWN, but rather the music you LISTEN to, on a regular basis, based on your listening patterns and habits. You may own over a couple thousand albums, but do you REALLY listen to most of them? Or is it just your favorites over and over? And while some of us may have meager or small collections, it may be a diverse collection that really showcases various tastes, and they are ALL listened to with some regularity.

So which kind of music fan are you?

For me, I'd say "More Music By Fewer Artists" as I really know what I like and love what I listen to. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a LOT of different bands, and lately I've been changing it up, but when I get into a phase, I really stick to a band for a month or two before phasing them out and going on to something else - it's just how I've listened to music for more than a decade. However, I'd say the "Fewer Artists" in this case revolves around about a dozen or so bands/artists, and many of them do have extensive discographies, so there's no shortage in music for me to listen to and pick out, but I really do love my favorites (and I'm actually listening to Spock's Beard's Snow as I type, definitely an all-time Top 10 for me).

I think part of my reasoning for being this way is because I only ever listen to albums as a whole, and I rarely listen to single tracks/songs when I listen to music. I just like to hit play and let it go for the next 40-140 minutes, and not have to worry about it. I think if I listened to singles more often, I'd be one of those people who gets just singles and listens to music on shuffle, and would be more likely to be the kind of fan that likes "Less Music By Many Artists", preferring a few singles by hundreds of bands each over hundreds of songs by a few bands each.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
Very interesting thread! I have near complete discographies of  Metallica, DT, Pearl Jam, Shinedown, the Indigo Girls, James Taylor, David Wilcox, etc. but I also have an extremely wide taste in music, so sometimes I'll pick and choose songs from bands whose music I don't like as a whole. (For example, I'm not hugely into Iced Earth, but I love their song Melancholy). I picked "other".

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
I listen to a great number of artists, but there are only a few I go full-on discography for.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
I've been more recently having trouble holding on to favorites as I used to.  I think that, even though I have a decent amount of favorite artists, I will sooner abandon them then hold on to them  My explanation for this is that there is always so much better music out there that there's no point in trying to force yourself to stick with a band you enjoy at the time and hear all their songs and buy all their albums.  I haven't held a steady set of favorite artists for over a few months except for maybe a select 5 artists.  Maybe it's just my ADD.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
I listen to a great number of artists, but there are only a few I go full-on discography for.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Yup, this.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline SoundscapeMN

I listen to over a 100..more like 150 NEW albums every year. I think the category I would fall under between the 2 is pretty clear.

However, I do love getting into specific artists or have my *moods* for certain artists over the course the year. Just last week I put on a couple of Dean Magraw albums. And over the last month I've been listening back catalogs from Cloud Cult and The Velvet Teen pretty regularly.

But my interest in listening to music is that of a Hunter. A Hunter that is looking for something great and something new. Naturally, with that mentality, I spend a lot of my time listening to different artists and their current album or maybe their best album from the past. Initially at least.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
I voted "Other". I have a lot of different bands and artists, but for a lot of them I have several albums or even complete discographies. Obviously there's some stuff I'll listen to more than others, but on the whole, I'd say "More Music by Many Artists".
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
I've typically been the more music by fewer, but slowly migrating towards less music by many

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Yup, this.

Same. Lately I just get the newest release of whatever I'm interested in at the moment. Not sure if that's the best way to handle it but w/e.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Less Music By Many Artists OR More Music By Fewer Artists? Which Are You?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:54:29 AM »
Other.

More music but many artists.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:03:13 AM »
Other.

More music but many artists.
This and even though I voted Less From Many.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:29:11 AM »
Oh, and before there is any confusion, this isn't about the music you OWN, but rather the music you LISTEN to, on a regular basis, based on your listening patterns and habits. You may own over a couple thousand albums, but do you REALLY listen to most of them? Or is it just your favorites over and over? And while some of us may have meager or small collections, it may be a diverse collection that really showcases various tastes, and they are ALL listened to with some regularity.
90% of the music I listen to is stuff I got in the last 6 months. All the other stuff does get listened to, but only occasionally because I spend most of my time on recently acquired music. A lot of my favourite albums, some of my favourite bands, I would only listen to once a year, if that.

I would be something of a 'less music by more artists' type, I guess. There are few artists where I actually have tons of their music - off the top of my head, Dave Matthews Band, Bob Dylan, Beethoven, Metallica, and Miles Davis is getting up there. I often don't bother with full discographies, even when I'm nuts about a band. And with a lot of artists, I just focus on what is considered their best albums and their strongest period and move on. This often means as few as one or two albums.

Offline jsem

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 03:31:55 AM »
It's closer to the "less music by more artists."

But it's actually more music by more artists.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 03:43:17 AM »
I'm somewhere in between i'd say.
When it comes to music, i try to take in as much as possible, different genres, styles and everything, but out of all the music i listen to, even though i like all of it (since i keep listening), i do have a handful of bands/artists that i just love more, where i buy all their albums/DVDs and such.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 03:46:48 AM »
I'm "more music by fewer artists" type. I don't listen to loads of bands but I usually get all or most albums by the ones I listen to.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:51 AM »
More music, fewer artists.

Edit: More artists, less music

LOLDYSLEXIA
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:55 AM »
I love hearing new music from all kinds of bands/artists, so in that sense I am "less music by many artists."

However, there are a decent amount of artists whom I really, really love, so I try to acquire their complete discographies.  So I guess I am a blend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 07:00:29 AM »
Definitely more music from less artists. I don't like treading here and there. I want to broaden my taste, sure, but what I want more is that I want to fully appreciate a certain band, not only some of their songs. I like Oblivion by Mastodon, but since that's like the only song I like from them, when people ask me if I heard Mastodon, I just say no. I'll only say I know a certain band when I've appreciated at least one full album from them.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »
I love hearing new music from all kinds of bands/artists, so in that sense I am "less music by many artists."

However, there are a decent amount of artists whom I really, really love, so I try to acquire their complete discographies.  So I guess I am a blend.

This.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
I like to balance new albums/music I hear. I'll have one or two a month usually and spend a lot of time getting familiar with them. I usually try to discover an artist's whole discography before moving on to another one.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »
Definitely the first option, though I do have my share of discographies.