Author Topic: Afterlife  (Read 10774 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Afterlife
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 05:05:49 AM »
Bump.

I just listened to WDADU for the first time in almost a year, and this song jumped out at me in a very good way. By far the best song on the album. Everything about it is amazing.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 05:08:12 AM »
A criminally underrated song. One of my few favourites on their debut.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 05:55:25 AM »
Best song on the album IMO, the Score version is amazing.  I love the solo, but it's actually JP's first solo after the first verse that is my fav part of the song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »
This is like....a bottom 3 song for me. :lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »
To me, it's not the best song on the album (Only a Matter of Time, The Killing Hand and Ytse Jam beat it imo, in no particular order), but it's still an amazing song. I really love their debut album.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
Forbidden Dreams version pwns as much as Score :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
I love everything on WDADU, and this song is no exception. It's a very fun record, even if it isn't their most accomplished. I just love it all, especially the bass harmonics on TOWHTSTS. Oh, and every other part of the album too.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wammabe

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
Speaking of WDADU, would anyone like to see a follow up to WDADU?

Now that MP has left the band, that only leaves JP and JM left from the original lineup.

I think it would be unreal as a one-off to record a new Majesty album as a follow-up as I believe...ready for it...if WDADU has the same recording quality as I&W then WDADU>I&W.  The Killing Hand>Learning to Live IMO

The line up could contain JP, JM, MP, CD & KM as a one-off?

Any thoughts?

It would be really really cool, and I would like to see that alot since I absolutely love the WDADU style, but sadly, Kevin has decided to pretend that Dream Theater never existed.   :\

Perhaps if the rest of the band members tell Jordan to only use his left hand and they give him a very old keyboard workstation that can't produce any modern Dream Theater sound...

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 12:36:04 AM »
SO ENERGY, POWAH!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 12:37:01 AM »
Easily my favorite from WDADU

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
My favourite from WDADU alongside Ytse Jam. Someone here said DT doesn't own the rights to the music --  that's not true AFAIK, they own the rights to the songs but not the WDADU recordings.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
Fourth best song in the album, after Only a Matter of Time, The Killing Hand and A Fortune in Lies.

I agree with everyone who says LaBrie should have been the singer for this album. I have all songs from the album sang by LaBrie (live, of course) except LF&GA, TOWHtStS and Status Seeker. And I mean the early 90's Labrie, not When Dream and Day Reunite, I have that one but Labrie is not as good as he was back in the 90's or in Score.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
I never got into it on WDADU due to my disliking Dominici's vocals, then I heard it on Score and clicked with the instrumental section, specifically 4:30... then it blew me TOTALLY away and I've been heavily into the song ever since, in fact I put the Score version on a DT CD mix I made recently and have been rockin' it in the car ever since...
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
Fantastic track, one of my favorites on When dream and day unite. I honestly think this song has one of their catchiest choruses ever, and being a huge fan of catchy choruses, that means something to me. The unison is obviously another highlight, it's just beautiful. And I don't have to mention the version of Score and how incredible performance it is, especially by James, he really nailed it.

The chorus is awesome, and one of the reasons is the great classic riff JP plays underneath. I'm really hoping there is a return of this type of riff on the new album (there's a taste of one towards the end of OTBOA during the last chorus).

Offline Sean Ashe

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
The Score version is all kinds of awesome!   :tup

Score was the first time I heard afterlife (I was just getting into DT) and I thought it was awesome!