Author Topic: Afterlife  (Read 10660 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Afterlife
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »
Being WDADU the DT album I pay less attention to, I decided to check it out again like two months ago and I loved this song, and now it's in my top 3 of the album. The verses just sound really good, and Charlie pulls of a very good performance. The guitar solo is awesome, and... DAT UNISON!

I was very Disappointed of the WDADRU Version, mainly because of James vocals, and decided to give the Score version a chance (I had never listened to that version before). It was amazing. James' vocals were at their best and he delivered an amazing performance in that song, and the rest of the band played it flawlessly, topping the studio version IMO.

So I created this thread to discuss the song and also to ask if there's a 1992-94 live version of this song in a bootleg or something, because I haven't been able to find it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:46:15 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Ħ

Re: Afterlife
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
Good song...reminds me of Sonata Arcitca's 8th Commandment
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline j

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
Great song, my favorite from DT's most under-appreciated album.  And...

The guitar solo was awesome, and... DAT UNISON!

-J

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »
Great song! If you can ahold of the Lost in the Sky bootleg from Milan, Italy in '93 I believe, it has a great version of Afterlife on it.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:24:34 PM »
I created this thread to discuss the song and also to ask if there's a 1992-94 live version of this song in a bootleg or something, because I haven't been able to find it.

Yes, there is actually a pretty high quality bootleg from the I&W tour called "Mission Impossible" from Osaka, Japan 8/28/93 with Afterlife.  This boot has also been part of an early 90's DT boot compilation called Forbidden Dreams.  So if you can find either the MI boot by itself or the whole FD comp, go for it.

As for the song itself, yea it is really awesome, definitely one of the stand out tracks from WDADU.  I'm somewhat of a rarity in that I got into the band post I&W and yet I actually like that album a lot (easily in the top half of their discography).  A little piece of trivia for you: that song was originally written back in '86 when Chris Collins was still in the band with completely different lyrics and vocal melodies written by Collins; when Charlie joined the band, they had decided to scrap all the lyrics, but Charlie liked the song and the name "Afterlife" so he decided to write all new lyrics and vox lines so they could use it on the album.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
www.trialoftears.net has both Forbidden Dreams, and Lost in the Sky
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline LTE777

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »
Speaking of WDADU, would anyone like to see a follow up to WDADU?

Now that MP has left the band, that only leaves JP and JM left from the original lineup.

I think it would be unreal as a one-off to record a new Majesty album as a follow-up as I believe...ready for it...if WDADU has the same recording quality as I&W then WDADU>I&W.  The Killing Hand>Learning to Live IMO

The line up could contain JP, JM, MP, CD & KM as a one-off?

Any thoughts?

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »
Speaking of WDADU, would anyone like to see a follow up to WDADU?

Now that MP has left the band, that only leaves JP and JM left from the original lineup.

I think it would be unreal as a one-off to record a new Majesty album as a follow-up as I believe...ready for it...if WDADU has the same recording quality as I&W then WDADU>I&W.  The Killing Hand>Learning to Live IMO

The line up could contain JP, JM, MP, CD & KM as a one-off?

Any thoughts?

It would be really really cool, and I would like to see that alot since I absolutely love the WDADU style, but sadly, Kevin has decided to pretend that Dream Theater never existed.   :\

Offline Ħ

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
1) KM would never do it.
2) If you mean a studio album, it would be impossible because DT doesn't own the rights to the music.
3) If you mean a live album, we already have WDADRU (although James is less than stellar).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
1) KM would never do it.
2) If you mean a studio album, it would be impossible because DT doesn't own the rights to the music.
3) If you mean a live album, we already have WDADRU (although James is less than stellar).

I think he means they write new songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LTE777

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
1) KM would never do it.

I think he means they write new songs.

Why yes I do...and of course pending luring KM into it with cash incentives!

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
1) KM would never do it.

My understanding is that they own the rights to the songs, but not to that specific recording, which is why they can still include the songs on their live albums, but they cannot actually re-release the album itself.  But it's irrelevant, because I believe he mean that the WDADU line-up reunite and record a whole new album in that style.  Which sadly, yea, KM would never do.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnK_-TrvBZk Here's a great clip of afterlife from 93 ( remove post, if im not allowed to post it). Anyone know if theres more footage of that concert?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 08:41:17 PM »
Damn good song, just like almost all of the songs from the debut.  I just wish we could have gotten live versions of all of the tunes featuring both JLB and Kevin Moore.  Oh well.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
Damn good song, just like almost all of the songs from the debut.  I just wish we could have gotten live versions of all of the tunes featuring both JLB and Kevin Moore.  Oh well.

There's a lot of songs that sould've been included in released live versions before James' rupture. A video of both metropolis and Learning to live, aswell as Status Seeker with JLB!

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:15 PM »

Actually, I believe there is a bootleg that compiled live versions of all the WDADU tracks from the I&W tour.  I can't remember what it is called though.  If I can find it, I'll post it.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »
Is it When Dream and James Unite?

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »
Is it When Dream and James Unite?

Disc 1 from that set is, yea.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »
DAT UNISON!

OMG I have had it stuck in my head for a week...

great freaking song...

IN THE AAAAFTEEER LIIIFE!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 12:57:18 AM »
Great song, probably my favourite from WDADU. I hadn't heard it until I saw it on the Score DVD. That unison in the solo is awesome.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 02:58:20 AM »
It was the standout for me when I got the album but the rest of it has grown to match it. It is a fantastic album that is ignored by many DT fans. Probably the same fans that are wanting DT to return to a sound similar to what this album would be with a decent production. It is JMX's finest hour. Great lyrics. Keyboards that sound like keyboards. And a youthful enthusiasm that is gone for good.

Offline jsem

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »
Afterlife pwns.

So does many other tracks on WDADU... Killing Hand, Only a Matter of Time, Light Fuse, A fortune in lies...

I like this album a lot.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
Is still my ALL time fav DT song. So much emotion, charlie sounds like he's crying while delivering the vocals.
Great song.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnK_-TrvBZk Here's a great clip of afterlife from 93 ( remove post, if im not allowed to post it). Anyone know if theres more footage of that concert?

Great video, thanks for posting.  James sounds amazing! 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »
My understanding is that they own the rights to the songs, but not to that specific recording, which is why they can still include the songs on their live albums, but they cannot actually re-release the album itself.

This is correct.  If they wanted to, they could go back in the studio and re-record all of the songs and release it.  They just can't use the original recordings.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
One of the best unison's for sure

Offline John94

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
Not my favourite on WDADU (Killing Hand is even with "I am the Killing Haaand" but I love the Score version. And it may also be one of the best unisons aside from the ITNoG unison of course.

Offline Psy

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »
Jesus. I forgot all about this song. It's a real gem!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
I'm guilty of really overlooking this song, that is until the Score version finally knocked some sense into me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »
Is still my ALL time fav DT song. So much emotion, charlie sounds like he's crying while delivering the vocals.
Great song.
All time? Woah.. Doesn't even rank #1 on WDADU for me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
Great song! :tup Not my favorite on WDADU, but very good still.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:13 PM »
I was just listening to the Score version earlier today, so had to resurrect this thread. 

Afterlife has always been near the bottom on this album for me (probably second least favorite just above TWWHTSTS).  Didn't like the original.  The WDADRU version was better, but still didn't do a ton for me.  Over a long period of time, this has been a really slow grower.  I still don't love it, but I can definitely appreciate it.  One of my favorite things about it is that it just has a great sonic atmosphere.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Mladen

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
Fantastic track, one of my favorites on When dream and day unite. I honestly think this song has one of their catchiest choruses ever, and being a huge fan of catchy choruses, that means something to me. The unison is obviously another highlight, it's just beautiful. And I don't have to mention the version of Score and how incredible performance it is, especially by James, he really nailed it.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »
Afterlife always reminded me of Iron Maiden--specifically their Somewhere in Time/ Seventh Son of a Seventh Son period, and even more specifically the song Wasted Years.  Might just be the opening riff, but I think the whole song has that Maidenish vibe.  I could see Bruce Dickinson singing it easily.

Along with Fortune in Lies, it's probably my favorite song off of WDADU, the sort of thing I wish Dream Theater wrote more later in their career.  Just a great, straightforward metal track that's tons of fun to listen to.  Great lyrics too.  Charles Dominici does a great job singing it.  It's a shame it lacks a proper outro, but otherwise I think it's absolutely flawless.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »
The Score version is all kinds of awesome!   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White