Author Topic: The OFFICIAL RIDING OF BICYCLES THREAD!  (Read 7751 times)

Offline jsem

Re: The OFFICIAL RIDING OF BICYCLES THREAD!
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
Giro d'Italia starting in 50 minutes or so. Who's going to follow it this year?
You betcha. Last year's giro was simply one of the greatest GT's EVER. I think zomegnan will try to top it this year. There are some EPIC stages. There's gonna be all the drama in the world.

Obvious HTC win in the TTT.

Also:
Biking is pretty huge in Oregon, but I don't even own one. If I didn't live on a huge hill I would get one and bike everywhere, but going up this hill kicks my ass.
Dude. That hill is the point of the entire ride.  :facepalm:

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 06:34:09 PM »
Giro d'Italia starting in 50 minutes or so. Who's going to follow it this year?
You betcha. Last year's giro was simply one of the greatest GT's EVER. I think zomegnan will try to top it this year. There are some EPIC stages. There's gonna be all the drama in the world.

Obvious HTC win in the TTT.

Yeah, the last year's 70-man break-away was pretty sick. Loved it! Hoping for more of that good stuff this year as well.  :corn
And, yes... This has to be the most epic Giro route ever...

I think Cavendish will take tomorrows stage, with Pettachi and Farrar as the strongest challengers. Too flat for a break away to succeed, even though there's a little bump at the end. HTC (with their strong tempo abilities) will easily control anyone who are going to try something. Also, with 20 sec bonus to the winner. HTC will do everything they can to get Cav in pink as they don't have anyone who are a threat to the overall standings in the long run.
Or maybe we'll see McEwen in pink after tomorrow, but I kinda doubt it...

The stage is crazy long too...

EDIT: You're Swedish, right? Do you think Lövkvist will stand all three weeks this year? He's had a habit of holding out in the first half of a GT and then meeting the wall.
As a Norwegian, I'm rooting for Nordhaug (Lövkvist's team mate) and Kristoff (BMC sprinter). They won't do much, I think. Nordhaug will maybe try some break-aways and Kristoff will try to get some good results on the 3-4 flat stages, but he's nowhere near Cavendish, Pettachi or Farrar AFAIK. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:40:48 PM by kartmaze2 »

Offline dongringo

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
Biking is pretty huge in Oregon, but I don't even own one. If I didn't live on a huge hill I would get one and bike everywhere, but going up this hill kicks my ass.

I live for riding hills.  :lol

Well, I officially joined the Portland bike commuter movement and sold my car. If the buses and light rail trains weren't all equipped with bike racks I wouldn't have done it, but since they all are, a combination of riding/public transport will make the winter rain more bearable. Anyway, I'm in and not backing out. It's getting to be a lifestyle to more and more people here and it's only a good thing. And after doing the math, I can't believe how much money one can save by not owning a car. I know it's not possible in most U.S. cities, but it is here so I figured why not.

And have you noticed that not only do we have our own lanes/trails/blvds/etc but we have our own signage everywhere now? The signs give directions to various places and tell how long it takes to get there doing a standard 12 miles per hour. It's just getting better and better.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
Sweet didn't know we have pro fans here. Giro and the classics are my favorite races. Here's to hoping Conta will fail miserably  :tup

Personally I've been dealing with some knee problems and have had to cut down on cycling. Recovering alright atm and I have signed up for Vätternrundan again this year. Can't wait to have me some saltgurkan och bulle.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 03:39:45 AM »
Here's to hoping Conta will fail miserably  :tup
Amen, brother!

Maybe we should make a Giro d'Italia thread?

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 06:04:06 AM »
I guess we can all cheer for Sky as there is also a Finnish Kjell Carlström riding Giro. I wish Edvald Boasson Hagen was riding this year. I though he was going to be amazing in 2010 after really promising 2009, but maybe this year. 2010 (and beginning of 2011) was also terrible for one of my favorite riders Heinrich Hausler. Hopefully he will be in good form for the tour.

Offline jsem

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:15 AM »
Here's to hoping Conta will fail miserably  :tup
Amen, brother!

Maybe we should make a Giro d'Italia thread?
Definitely make a thread.

I think Conti will have his toughest opponentes in Menchov & Nibali, though I hope Rujano does something in the mountains a la 2005.. would be SO epic.

Eurosport's coverage begins soon.. :)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 08:56:56 AM »
I've gotten ridiculously efficient at my bike ride to the station now - after two years of sixth form and a year of work, I pretty much pedal at 20 the whole way, doing the entire thing in 5 minutes.

So many cyclists are dicks here though, they jump queues of cars, whilst I wait in line like a car. 1 minute later? Oh look its the hill, you're all going at 4mph and I'm overtaking you all.

Going up hills in max gear makes you feel incredibly awesome :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:05:44 AM by faemir »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »
I need advice guys. Getting my first bike in years.
My choices are Raleigh Talus 3.0 VS. Giant Revel 2.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
You guys ready for a shocker?

I never learned how to ride a bike. I've recently started to feel as though I should, but I don't know if it would take a long time to learn and build up confidence and actually be good, making it too strenuous and embarrassing, or not long at all. I would hope the latter, since I'm older than most people are when they learn.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »
I am extremely interested in this kind of mountain biking:

Like technical trails,
But I don't know if there's really any decent places around me. (Philly Region)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 10:53:36 PM »
A custom titanium road bike is currently being built for me by master ti builder Jim Kish ( www.kishbike.com ). This guy has been an absolute pleasure to work with on my dream bike. Being in between sizes for my height and riding style, I'm really looking forward to a custom fit and ride. He has taken everything under consideration in the design. Not worried about quality. He's a perfectionist by reputation and is the principal ti building instructor at United Bicycle Institute. Stoked!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
Wow those look very nice! I always like classic tubes like old school steel framed racers/tourers. I am putting the finishing touches to my steel framed road bike restoration project. I like older bikes, they add an extra embarrassment factor when you overtake someone on a modern super light bike dressed in lycra wit proper cycling shoes when you blast past on your old steel framed racer wearing jeans and feet strapped into rat traps. They always tuck into the slipstream and try and keep up, and I reckon that is mostly because they don't want to be beaten by a bike that cost less than £200 when they spent all their savings on theirs :p
Being a lightweight rider on a bike where everything works perfectly makes much more difference than 100g off here and there on the bike...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 09:14:30 AM »
A custom titanium road bike is currently being built for me by master ti builder Jim Kish ( www.kishbike.com ). This guy has been an absolute pleasure to work with on my dream bike. Being in between sizes for my height and riding style, I'm really looking forward to a custom fit and ride. He has taken everything under consideration in the design. Not worried about quality. He's a perfectionist by reputation and is the principal ti building instructor at United Bicycle Institute. Stoked!

Truly a dream bike! Kish bikes are awesome. Have you decided on the rest of the parts yet?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »
Yeah, I got it nailed down a couple weeks ago.

Frame: Kish Custom Road SL - Reynolds 3/2.5 butted ti (blue decals)
Stem and headset spacers: Kish Custom mix of 3/2.5 and 6/4 ti (black faceplate)
Fork: Enve 1.0
Shifters, Breaks, Front and Rear Derailleurs, Compact Crankset: Sram Force
Cassette: Sram OG-1070 11/25
Chain: Sram PC-1071
Bottom Bracket: Chris King (blue)
Headset: Chris King (blue)
Handlebar: Deda Zero 100 / Bar tape: Fizik microtex (metallic blue, matches saddle)
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma (metallic blue)
Seatpost: Thompson Masterpiece
Seatpost collar: Extralite (blue)
Wheels: Hand spun by Jim Kish - DT Swiss RR465 black, black DT Swiss spokes, black brass nipples / laced to Chris King hubs (blue)
Tires: Schwalbe Durano (blue)
Skewers: Far and Near (blue) ti axle and carbon wrapped alu handle
Pedals: Look Keo Classic
Bottle cages: Arundel Mandible
Computer: Garmin Edge 500

That pretty much covers it. Ultimately I decided against painting the frame, partly due to the high cost of the paint scheme I wanted and partly because a bare ti frame is super easy to take care of. Plus if the decals get scratched I can replace them myself. Plus with all the blue accents (decals, saddle, bar tape, headset, bb, hubs, seatpost collar, skewers, tires) I think it will look great.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:21:49 AM by dongringo »
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dongringo

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
Wow those look very nice! I always like classic tubes like old school steel framed racers/tourers. I am putting the finishing touches to my steel framed road bike restoration project. I like older bikes, they add an extra embarrassment factor when you overtake someone on a modern super light bike dressed in lycra wit proper cycling shoes when you blast past on your old steel framed racer wearing jeans and feet strapped into rat traps. They always tuck into the slipstream and try and keep up, and I reckon that is mostly because they don't want to be beaten by a bike that cost less than £200 when they spent all their savings on theirs :p
Being a lightweight rider on a bike where everything works perfectly makes much more difference than 100g off here and there on the bike...

Cool about your restoration project. I've been thinking of doing something like that. I don't know how you can ride in jeans. Lycra is for comfort. Also, I've been overtaken by people on mountain bikes before and it didn't bother me a bit. Riding should be fun, not about trying to embarrass someone.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »
Yeah, I got it nailed down a couple weeks ago.

Frame: Kish Custom Road SL - Reynolds 3/2.5 butted ti (blue decals)
Stem and headset spacers: Kish Custom mix of 3/2.5 and 6/4 ti (black faceplate)
Bottom Bracket: Chris King (blue)
Headset: Chris King (blue)
Handlebar: Deda Zero 100 / Bar tape: Fizik microtex (metallic blue, matches saddle)
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma (metallic blue)
Seatpost collar: Extralite (blue)
Wheels: Hand spun by Jim Kish - DT Swiss RR465 black, black DT Swiss spokes, black brass nipples / laced to Chris King hubs (blue)
Tires: Schwalbe Durano (blue)
Skewers: Far and Near (blue) ti axle and carbon wrapped alu handle  or
That pretty much covers it. Ultimately I decided against painting the frame, partly due to the high cost of the paint scheme I wanted and partly because a bare ti frame is super easy to take care of. Plus if the decals get scratched I can replace them myself. Plus with all the blue accents (decals, saddle, bar tape, headset, bb, hubs, seatpost collar, skewers, tires) I think it will look great.  ;D

That is going to be an amazing bike! I've always loved the way ti looks, specially that smooth finish Moots frame have. Quality frame with CK parts should last you decades  :coolio

Offline dongringo

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
Yeah, the bead blasted Moots frames look sweet. What Jim does though is bead blast it then he spends hours hand brushing every square inch of the frame with a super fine Scotch Bright pad. This way, if the frame gets scratched or scuffed, all you have to do is hit it with a Scotch Bright pad to cover it. Great idea on his part I think.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
I used to ride a bicycle

but then I got a car.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »
I'm not much of a biker most of the year, but during the summer I often go with my family to this island just off the coast of northern Michigan called Mackinac. The island is eight miles around and has a road that goes all around the island in that perimeter, and so we've made it a family tradition to bike it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 06:17:32 AM »

Cool about your restoration project. I've been thinking of doing something like that. I don't know how you can ride in jeans. Lycra is for comfort. Also, I've been overtaken by people on mountain bikes before and it didn't bother me a bit. Riding should be fun, not about trying to embarrass someone.  ;)
Reasonably loose fitting jeans tucked into socks are barely noticable when riding. Couple that with a cold day and you don't get any heat issues at all.
the last bits arrived today via post, so I'll put them on the bike, take it up the road and tinker with it all then post a pic of the fully working beast of a bike! I love having ongoing projects, I enjoy it so much that I don't think I could ever just buy an off the shelf new bike!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »
New chainset and it is complete!

Might buy mudguards at a later date but until then, I consider it done. Last step was to retape the bars and put a new chainset on. I put a really old one off my old bike in the shed, and the rings had such a wide gap that they rubbed on the frame. I took the inner one off just to have a working bike then found this one on ebay and couldn't be more happy, don't think I've ever been more happy with such a simple bit of metal!
<br />

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:26 PM »
Bought a new bike recently because my old one was stolen. Got a Bianchi San Jose, single-speed bike. Never had a single-speed before, kinda interesting. The reason I bought it is because I got tired of all the moving parts in multi-speed ones, and the maintenance in deep winter that comes along with it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dongringo

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
New chainset and it is complete!

Might buy mudguards at a later date but until then, I consider it done. Last step was to retape the bars and put a new chainset on. I put a really old one off my old bike in the shed, and the rings had such a wide gap that they rubbed on the frame. I took the inner one off just to have a working bike then found this one on ebay and couldn't be more happy, don't think I've ever been more happy with such a simple bit of metal!

She's a beauty! Nice job!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dongringo

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
My new KISH Road SL:

Frame: Kish Custom Road SL - Reynolds 3/2.5 butted ti
Stem and headset spacers: Kish Custom mix of 3/2.5 and 6/4 ti
Fork: Enve 1.0
Bottom Bracket: Chris King
Headset: Chris King
Handlebar: Deda Zero 100 / Bar tape: Fizik microtex
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma
Seatpost collar: Extralite
Wheels: Hand spun by Jim Kish - DT Swiss RR465, DT Swiss spokes, black brass nipples / laced to Chris King hubs
Tires: Schwalbe Durano
Skewers: Far and Near ti axle/carbon wrapped alu handle
Pedals: Look Keo Classic
Bottle cages: Arundel Mandible
Computer: Garmin Edge 500

I was only able to take for a spin once before coming down with the flu, but I'm extremely pleased with the fit, ride and quality. Dealing with Jim on this build was a pleasure and I think he nailed it. He was always prompt and truthful in answering questions and I received it in less than two months. I can't recommend him highly enough if you are looking at custom ti.

.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
turned out as an absolute cracker!

One thing that caught my eye was the seatpost. does it have the kink in it so the seat tube can be steeper and thus wheelbase a little shorter?
<br />

Offline dongringo

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
One thing that caught my eye was the seatpost. does it have the kink in it so the seat tube can be steeper and thus wheelbase a little shorter?

It's just Thompson's setback seatpost. I guess it's their way of being different than the others...which are usually set back at the clamp. I like it, probably because it's different than the others.  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 02:24:43 AM »
YOU. YOU. YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!

I had been wanting to ride a bicycle in months, but my dad gave away my bicycle and I have no money to buy one.  :'(
So theres this new family on my street, and their daughter rides her bicycle, all day, every fucking day. In FRONT OF MY FUCKING HOUSE. That girl is SOOOOOOOO mocking me.
And now you guys are talking about your happy times riding bicycles into the sunset and what not.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS.
THANKS.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 02:33:02 AM »
How uh.. how old are you man?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 02:46:48 AM »
20 and I'm joking I guess I forgot the >Green, but it's true I want to ride a bicycle but I don't have one.
And yep the thing with the little girl it's true I think she does it on purpose.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »
I hope you manage to get one soon :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The OFFICIAL RIDING OF BICYCLES THREAD!t I
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
The phrase you never forget how to ride a bike is bullshit. I ook out my mountain bike the other day for the first time in like 5 years. I felt like a total pansy on it. I could still pedal, but I was a total bitch on it.  I used to be a maniac on it, would do crazy jumps, and could ride at rediculous speeds. On my crazy old farm and roads, I would easily do 35+ mph on the hills, probably close to 45 at some spots. I was scared shitless doing around 20 lol. I was going to go offloading with some friends and had to back out. I was to afraid. Some of that might come from the awareness of danger though. Back in the day I wasn't as afraid of getting injured as I am now.

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 01:33:53 AM »
Saw that bike on RBR and though it might be yours! Looks amazing  :tup

Offline dongringo

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48:31 AM »
Saw that bike on RBR and though it might be yours! Looks amazing  :tup

Thanks! I get around.  :biggrin:
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:26 PM »
This is a question for the bike commuters on DTF:  Have you been hit while riding?  Close calls?

This last week a guy was hit and killed riding on a busy street in my city, and two days later another person was hit.  I don't have all the facts, so I don't know how much it is the bicyclists fault, but I would think the lion's share of the blame would be on the drivers.  Then I was talking to my brother (an avid cyclist) and, even though he hasn't been hit, he's had quite a few close calls.

These incidents got me wondering how often bicyclists have close calls, so I thought I'd ask you, the cyclists of DTF.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.