Author Topic: The OFFICIAL RIDING OF BICYCLES THREAD!  (Read 7749 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
The OFFICIAL RIDING OF BICYCLES THREAD!
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
haiy guys.  I just bought a mint as mountain bike for $100.  Its like a Scott USA or something.  I'm so stoked.  gonna ride the shit out of it when the alcohol wears off.

does any one of yous ride mountain bukes alit?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The OFFICIAL RIDING OF BICYCLES THREAD!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29:09 AM »
See the "prostate issue" subforum of the Old Fogey thread. It's next to the "giant hanging sack bicycling hurts" thread.

Enjoy your velo!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:57:24 AM »
how could it be nighttime..are you in aussie land?

Ya..there is no prostate subforum.
I don't ride bikes because my giant nutsack gets crushed, and I have prostate issues and bicycle seats and wonky prostates don't get along.

I'd say getting older sucks, but my prostate stuff started at 28 so....

enjoy your bike.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:49 AM »
I ride my bike 3-4 times a week, it's some great exercise.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »
I have a prog bike:

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
I'm very much into cycling. Follow the sport, watch every major race. I ride myself too, but not in a team or nethin.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:29 AM »
I'm the hardcore bicycle guy in my company. It was 14F with a harsh wind outside today, and I rode in with my bike.
Don't do any sports cycling though, just pragmatic cycling.

BTW, while we're on the topic, a quick rant: Please, middle-aged Americans, just because you're sitting on a bike and cycling more than 5 mph, doesn't mean you're an extreme athlete. So, no, you probably don't need the clip-ins, the (of course yellow) synthetic shirt that wicks away sweat in 0.23 seconds, the tights with ads on the side. Especially when I'm zooming by you with my commuter bike, because you're only riding 5 miles per hour after all.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »
I have a prog bike:

For those cold days? :hat

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »
BICYCLE
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »
TRUE FACT: I actually forgot how to ride a bicycle.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
TRUE FACT: I actually forgot how to ride a bicycle.
At first I was like :|

But then I was like :jawdrop:

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »
I bike no matter what the weather. I have an old racer that cost me £20 which I have slowly made roadworthy. I'm still yet to do a proper cycle with a group of enthusiasts, mostly because they leave at 9pm on a Saturday. I ride to work every day across my city though and I'm yet to be overtaken by another cyclist :D
and relating to rumbo's post, I don't wear any fancy cycling gear. It won't benefit me over the course of a 15 min cycle across the city and I like to think that it adds to the embarassment factor for those people I overtake who are riding carbon fibre bikes, wearing lycra tour de france team replica jersey, heart rate monitors etc
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:37:34 PM by TimmyHiggy »
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
My current commuter. 29er single speed. I live in Finland so a rigid singlespeed bike does well in the winter. Atm I have put some studded tires on it

My road bike, well technically it's a cyclocross. I've done some longer trips on this one and last summer did a 180 mile race on it.

summer commuter and my full suspension mountain bike, but the mountain bike got trashed last summer when a car hit me and I need to replace the frame.

and lastly riding somewhere in Germany two summers ago. We had two of those trailers for the three of us. Those things are really convenient.

ohh and lycra is awesome  :tup

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:38:11 PM »
sintrade, thats a wacky seat angle on the cyclocross! Do you not feel like you are going to fall off backwards?
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »
Once spring kicks back in, I am really gonna try to get into using the bike I bought years ago.  I have gotten away from using it the last few years. 

My younger brother is a cycling maniac.  When it is not cold out, he will go two or three times a week, and usually goes for anywhere from 30-60 miles a ride. :eek :eek

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
I haven't biked for many years. My bike was stolen one morning... But I am thinking about buying one when spring comes.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
sintrade, thats a wacky seat angle on the cyclocross! Do you not feel like you are going to fall off backwards?

Those classic Brooks leather saddles are usually tilted up a bit. The leather has now molded to fit my sit bones and I sit steadily. But yeah in that picture it looks like its tilted a bit too much. Amazing saddle, but reaaaally heavy.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
I was told that in the bike shop. I then pointed out that the saddle in their bargain bin was £5 and plenty squidgy enough for me, meaning there is no possible way I could be convinced to part with more money!!
<br />

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
I was hit by a car when riding a bike at seventeen, haven't been on one since.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Slight non remembrance of making this thread.  I DID manage to however nab a $1000 bike for $150 last night, whilst in a drunken, catatonic state.  Awesome!  Totally want to ride it now.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
Biking is pretty huge in Oregon, but I don't even own one. If I didn't live on a huge hill I would get one and bike everywhere, but going up this hill kicks my ass.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »

How badly were you damaged? I get paranoid about cars sometimes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »

How badly were you damaged? I get paranoid about cars sometimes.
I had toe clips on, so my knee was blown from where the front bumper went into it.  Huge cut on my hand from where I hit the ground.  Fortunatly the car was only going 10 MPH, so I was only thrown five feet or so.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »
Went for a 2 hour cruise last night.  Was amazing.  Forgot how hard it was to pedal up hills!  Gaaahhh!

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
I know that cycle lanes are meant to be a good incentive to make people cycling, but I have had more near misses on roads with cycle lanes than those without. Car drivers just seem to forget once they are alongside them and just veer into them when they feel like they need the room. They should either be a cycle lane with a kerb or nothing at all. Sure its a pain for car drivers having to drive at 15-20mph when there isn't room to overtake, but better than having some cretin decide to use the cycle lane to let a bus going the other way past a parked car/turn into a side road and take out a cyclist.
<br />

Offline dongringo

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
Just gettin in on this thread. I used to mountain bike in Cali, but here in Oregon cycling is more practical. For the good half of the year I ride for recreation 150 - 200 miles a week with the occasional century. During the relentless rains I ride whenever it's decent enough to enjoy it. I wish I could join the bike commuter movement here in Portland, but unfortunately I need my car for work. At any rate, this is a great place to ride. There are hundreds of miles of bike trails, lanes, blvds, boxes and even a cycle track down Broadway downtown. I once did a 50 mile loop around Portland without leaving a bike path or lane. Drivers here are used to bikes and are courteous for the most part. I live on the edge of town though so usually do my riding out in the country. I hope this trend continues and more people discover the simple pleasure that they had in childhood of riding a bike. It's sad that so many kids these days don't ride bikes. It doesn't make sense.

A great book about this bicycling movement in the U.S. is Pedaling Revolution. The author goes to cities around this country to explain how this is taking shape. He also visits Euro cities such as the shining example of Amsterdam. And of course there's a whole chapter devoted to Portland. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:40:25 PM by dongringo »
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
I absolutely love riding my bike :biggrin: Its something I do more for meditation/relaxing than working out. Bring some music, water, maybe even a quick snack, and you're set to go :tup
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
My brother convinced me to get a mountain bike last november and we did a lot of biking before the winter came (even took a trip to northern Michigan to ride some trails).  Since then I haven't ridden much.  I can't wait until it warms up so I can start to get some use out of the bike again.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »
Anyone celebrating Bike Day this year? :azn:

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
Bump

So I've been thinking about commuting to work on my bike.  I know a few people here do it regularly, so I was wondering what I should consider before starting (it'd be about a 10 mile commute through town).  Any help would be helpful :)
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline jsem

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
Also. I'm probalby going yo Alpe D'Huez for the stage this summer. SO STOKED THE WAITING IS UNBEARABLE.

ALSO PARIS-ROUBAIX THIS WEEKEND, AND GIRO D'ITALIA IN A FEW WEEKS  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline dongringo

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
Bump

So I've been thinking about commuting to work on my bike.  I know a few people here do it regularly, so I was wondering what I should consider before starting (it'd be about a 10 mile commute through town).  Any help would be helpful :)

My advice is just... Go for it!  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »
Bump

Depends on all the circumstances. For example, if your job is physically demanding, will it just make you more tired before having to work? Also, do you work/get off at night? If so, be careful riding late at night and stuff. Also have to think about the traffic/roads you may have to cross and how the traffic is at those intersections...
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
yeah I would do it but bring a spare shirt in your bag. Allow ludicrous amounts of time so you can take it easy until you get properly used to it.
Also, if the town gets busy at the time you were planning on cycling then get a bit of hi vis clothing. When I moved town I went from a traffic free cycle in to a very busy one and the number of people who nearly hit me cos they didn't look properly went up from 0 to about 3 per journey, then I got a cheap hi vis builder style vest that I put over my jacket and its 1 every few journeys now. Rush hour taxi drivers don't need to look apparently!
<br />

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 07:01:53 AM »
Giro d'Italia starting in 50 minutes or so. Who's going to follow it this year?