Author Topic: Blabbermouth  (Read 3443 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Blabbermouth
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
What do people on DTF have against Blabbermouth (BM)?

I'm not asking that as a supporter of BM; I'd never even heard of it until the DT-drummer saga kicked off. I'm just confused because other websites and stuff say that BM is a 'leading source for metal news' and what-not, but the view of DTF seems to be 'Don't trust BM; they spread rumours', like the red-top tabloid newspapers in Britain (Sun, News of the World etc.).

???

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blabbermouth
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »
In the past month they've quoted the band members out of context, printed stories that were just plain wrong, and made-up 'rumors' that didn't exist just so they could have something to talk about.

In other words, no journalistic ethics to be found there.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
And it seems to be littered with some of the biggest idiots and assholes on the planet. Its just free for all bashing there.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:13:39 AM »
And it seems to be littered with some of the biggest idiots and assholes on the planet. Its just free for all bashing there.

I thought the scum of the Earth was located among the YouTube commentaries. Then I visited Blabbermouth and was proven wrong.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »

I thought the scum of the Earth was located among the YouTube commentaries. Then I visited Blabbermouth and was proven wrong.

That unfortunately is how metal fans treat eachother on the internet. At least in English speaking communities.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »
I've actually found that Metal-fans are generally the worst fans when it comes to music.
Sure everyone isn't like that, but many would fall under the category "im right, you're wrong", which is a bit sad. :/

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
I have to agree with most comments above, but BM is still my home page. It keeps me up to date on most of the music I tend to be into, but I do take their reporting with a large grain of salt.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:01:58 AM »
Good job I'm a prog fan, then...

Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are the only metal-affiliated bands I like. All my other favourite bands are prog or radio pop/rock/indie.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 09:40:17 AM »
It's not a recent thing, Blabbermouth are considered a pointless rumour-fest by many, and that's been the case for a while. Not sure who would call it the leading news site for metal.

You're pretty much right, it is The Sun or The Mirror of metal on the internet. The instant someone there hears something they post it as news before looking into whether it has a shred of truth.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
Coming to Blabbermouth's defense here...

I've been checking Blabbermouth every single day for years now. The website isn't all bad. Granted, they do occasionally print stories based on heresay (such as the recent Marco being DT's drummer fiasco) but more often than not, what they print is truthful and factual. But of course, 1 incorrect story amidst 1000 truthful ones is going to cause people to lose faith in it. Which is a shame.

Also, Blabbermouth has been known to post stupid crap like "Bret Michaels photgraphed eating a sandwich"; stuff they know isn't newsworthy but they post it anyway to rile people up. It's all in good fun, and they don't do it often enough for it to be deemed problematic.

As for the commenting part of the website, I love reading them. They're entertaining. Yes, it's 50% trolls, but that's part of the fun. You just can't take them too seriously. Most articles have some good insightful comments posted, whether they be positive or negative. And besides, most of Blabbermouth's reputation for having terrible commenters came from the past. Blabbermouth's mods have stepped their game up and are now deleting comments that could be offensive, or are just downright innapropriate. But they keep negative comments up as long as they actually have something to say.

My point being, it's not perfect, but overall it's a good source of news for the most part. 99% of the stories are factual and if you can't handle the comments, you need thicker skin.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »
I agree with Mr. Juggalo. I read the stories that interest me and don't read the ones that don't. Plain and simple. And if anyone can give me a better news site for metal, I would appreciate it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »
My point being, it's not perfect, but overall it's a good source of news for the most part. 99% of the stories are factual and if you can't handle the comments, you need thicker skin.

This.

I've also been looking at Blabbermouth every 1-2 days for years.  Best metal news website.  Those articles that are rubbish I just keep scrolling down.  Also, reading some of the comments is quite a laugh.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 01:31:13 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on them for a few months now with Ytse Times and my biggest issue with them is probably stuff like this. As has been said not everything they publish is exactly newsworthy, but when you're a blog space is free.

So what that link is is basically a copy and pasted month-old interview (which I'm sure Classic Prog Rock magazine loved that they're just giving their content away free), but the worst part is the headline. The members go on for like four pages and it's not mean-spirited or anything, they were all still pretty surprised that MP left at this point, so BM entitles it "MIKE PORTNOY Thought He Could Control DREAM THEATER, Says Keyboardist RUDESS" Like they're in a big word war or something. I mean JR did say it, but his answers are always long and it's unfair to cut it down to a few words just to grab hits. Gotta love the all caps too.

They generally do a good job at giving background info, I'll give them that, even if it's the same rehashed stuff every time they write about the topic.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 04:15:39 AM »

Well the scum are split between these two places, but at least BM only has musical fans scum, on youtube you can encounter all sort of interests scum.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 04:37:23 AM »
I don't understand why people even take all the comments seriously.  I mean I just read a Yngwie article and obviously the man has lost weight and looking well and looking after himself.  The article was about his new signiture Marshall amp which I may say looks very good and there was still comments like "It should come with a donut maker"

:lol  WTF!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 05:44:26 AM »
Ah, it's been moved. I didn't think it had enough to do with music to go in the GMD board. That's why I posted it in the GD board.

Offline Mladen

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Ah, it's been moved. I didn't think it had enough to do with music to go in the GMD board. That's why I posted it in the GD board.
What do they report on other than music?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
What do they report on other than music?
Yngwie's diet: chicken pizzas, fat pizzas...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
I go to Bravewords every day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
All those in favour of the thread title being changed to "Blabbermouth appreciation/depreciation thread" please say Aye.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
I go to Bravewords every day.

Brave Words is second best to Blabbermouth.  They have some great articles and interviews.

All those in favour of the thread title being changed to "Blabbermouth appreciation/depreciation thread" please say Aye.

+1