Author Topic: Guitar Problem  (Read 1883 times)

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Guitar Problem
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »
I have a problem with one of my guitars. With each fret I go up it gets a little more detuned. For example: the open string will be perfectly in tune, the first fret it will be a little out of tune and this continues for each fret. So when I reach the 12th fret itīs more than a semitone off. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Re: Guitar Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »
You need to intonate it. Just google "How to intonate (guitar model)" and you should be set. There's different ways to intonate different bridges, so it's probably better if you're model-specific or bridge specific. If it's an obscure model, try to find out what type of bridge you have and use that instead of the guitar model in your search.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »
I have a problem with one of my guitars. With each fret I go up it gets a little more detuned. For example: the open string will be perfectly in tune, the first fret it will be a little out of tune and this continues for each fret. So when I reach the 12th fret itīs more than a semitone off.

Even with new strings?

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
You need to intonate it. Just google "How to intonate (guitar model)" and you should be set. There's different ways to intonate different bridges, so it's probably better if you're model-specific or bridge specific. If it's an obscure model, try to find out what type of bridge you have and use that instead of the guitar model in your search.

Yep, that's it. Still now two of the strings are not completely in tune at the 12th fret even though I've set the saddle to the maximum distance. But that could have something to do with the fact that it's kind of a crappy guitar. At least it's within tolerable limits now. Thanks!

Even with new strings?

Yes.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
Happy to help! :)
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline LTE777

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »
Your neck could be warped, happened to jsut about all my crappy guitars I own...I left them in rooms that got hot during the day and over time they started going out of tune at the higher frets even though the tonality was the best it could be....could be a problem and sometimes you wont see any physical appearance of warping.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
Yeah definitely sounds like a warped neck to me.  No way your intonation should be a semitone off just from the bridge going out of alignment.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:26:57 AM »
Okay.. So how do I fix a warped neck?

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:01:39 AM »

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »
https://www.projectguitar.com/tut/warped.htm

That looks pretty advanced. I think I should just go to the guitar shop, although the service will probably be just as expensive as the guitar itself  ;D. Thanks anyway.