Author Topic: The Sopranos official thread  (Read 27898 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Sopranos official thread
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »
Nice!

Five episodes, so the last one you saw was College?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2021, 03:13:42 PM »
so the last one you saw was College?

Yep. Tony and Meadow were jaunting around to different schools and then he recognized the 'rat' and ended up brutally strangling the guy. I was waiting for Tony to have some sort of panic attack or something but he powered through it.

Like I said, there are just so many episodes that I'm really going to have to make sure not to get carried away with it and be more focused on 2-3 episodes at a time. I say that and I know full well that one of these nights I'm gonna knock like 7 or 8 out  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »
Haha nice, I have a soft spot for the 1st season. The mistake I made the first time watching it was going too fast through them and not really appreciate all the nuances in each episode.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2021, 03:33:06 PM »
so the last one you saw was College?

Yep. Tony and Meadow were jaunting around to different schools and then he recognized the 'rat' and ended up brutally strangling the guy. I was waiting for Tony to have some sort of panic attack or something but he powered through it.

Like I said, there are just so many episodes that I'm really going to have to make sure not to get carried away with it and be more focused on 2-3 episodes at a time. I say that and I know full well that one of these nights I'm gonna knock like 7 or 8 out  :lol

Yep, it's inevitable.

College was such a landmark episode because I believe it was the first show in TV history where the lead character of a drama killed someone in cold blood.  I know HBO didn't want it to happen, as they feared it would make Tony unlikable, but David Chase stuck to his guns and won out. It was the right decision.  It sure helps that Gandolfini's amazing acting and natural on screen charisma made Tony so likable (thanks to his ability to go from angry killer to flashing that boyish grin in the blink of an eye, and to do it so believably).  In the hands of a lesser actor, that decision could have backfired.

Haha nice, I have a soft spot for the 1st season. The mistake I made the first time watching it was going too fast through them and not really appreciate all the nuances in each episode.

The first season is still one of my three favorites (along with 2 and 5).  Every single episode is a major winner.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »
I found myself getting bummed out knowing that Gandolfini is no longer with us. It's just weird. I know we watch/see/remember people everyday who have passed away....but it was just weird to think about for a bit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2021, 05:18:57 PM »
I found myself getting bummed out knowing that Gandolfini is no longer with us. It's just weird. I know we watch/see/remember people everyday who have passed away....but it was just weird to think about for a bit.

I'm with you on that.

I'm thinking I'm going to revisit this, even if I have to watch it myself.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2021, 06:50:48 PM »

That's one of the few celebrity deaths that has hit me really hard.  I see him on screen in anything and my heart just sinks.  Sopranos fans have such a connection to seeing him as Tony Soprano and he was amazing at making you fall in love with such a despicable guy.

I loved that College episode!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2021, 06:21:51 AM »
Yeah, I rarely get phased by celebrity deaths outside of the initial "that's a bummer" reaction and whatnot, but Gandolfini was one that kind of stung, and I think that does to speak with how strong of a connection viewers of the show had with him and the character he played.

One thing about the College episode that always makes me chuckle (in an "OMG, that's so awful" kinda way) is at the beginning when Tony and Meadow are at the gas station, he calls his girlfriend Irena first, and then calls his wife Carmela, who was as sick as a dog. :eek :eek

Still waiting for that telethon for fuck-face-itis for guys like Mikey Palmice who have suffered from it for far too long. :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »
Finished S1 last night. Tony’s mom is one crafty, conniving woman. Junior has/had no idea he’s caught in the middle of those two and being played by both of them.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
One of things I noticed on my rewatch was how flat out amazing all the side characters were and the acting. They are given tiny bits at times but really make their presences known. Though Uncle Junior and Tony's mom are not the main characters they are close and so well acted and written.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2021, 08:36:04 AM »
One of things I noticed on my rewatch was how flat out amazing all the side characters were and the acting. They are given tiny bits at times but really make their presences known. Though Uncle Junior and Tony's mom are not the main characters they are close and so well acted and written.

And that runs through the entire series.    People like Annabella Sciorra, Joe Pantoliano, Robert Loggia, Steve Buscemi all bring their A-game in roles that aren't the centerpiece of the show (necessarily).

It's hard to imagine now, but at the time of the first episode, only Lorraine Bracco was a full-on star, and only Nancy Marchand and Dominic Chianese were of any name as actors.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2021, 08:36:30 AM »
Nancy Marchand (Livia) and Dominic Chianese (Uncle Junior) both did incredible jobs.  If I had to list what actors did the best job on the show, and many were great, the convo starts with Gandolfini and Edie Falco, and then Marchand and Chianese would be next.

The one exchange at dinner still kills me, when Tony was having a bad day and Livia said something snotty.

Tony: "Ya know, I don't really need that right now."

Livia: "Aren't we Mr. Sensitive?"

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2021, 08:43:16 AM »

And that runs through the entire series.    People like Annabella Sciorra, Joe Pantoliano, Robert Loggia, Steve Buscemi all bring their A-game in roles that aren't the centerpiece of the show (necessarily).

It's hard to imagine now, but at the time of the first episode, only Lorraine Bracco was a full-on star, and only Nancy Marchand and Dominic Chianese were of any name as actors.

For sure.  Aida Turturro (Janice), who comes in at the start of Season 2, did an incredible job as well.

I don't think we can take Imperioli (Christopher) for granted either.  He was also terrific.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2021, 11:36:40 AM »
Flowing along nicely with this show....just finished S3 episode 3.....where Dr. Melfi was raped. There's been SO many cool instances thus far. It's a lot to absorb but I can certainly see why this show is so hyped. Really well done....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
I refuse to watch that scene for a second time (the Melfi rape scene). Too disturbing. 

Richie was an awesome character in S2.  The great thing about him was that you couldn't wait for someone, anyone, to whack him, but at the same time you kinda wanted to see more of him.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2021, 01:48:32 PM »
I refuse to watch that scene for a second time (the Melfi rape scene). Too disturbing. 

Richie was an awesome character in S2.  The great thing about him was that you couldn't wait for someone, anyone, to whack him, but at the same time you kinda wanted to see more of him.

Agreed about the Rape scene. I kept saying to myself "surley Tony is going to come through the door and kill this SOB?".......but it just never happened!!! It was brutal.

And Richie.....YES!!! Exactly that. I kept texting my brother and asking "how much more disrespect is Tony going to take?"  It was driving me crazy how Richie was just an utter Dick but kept getting away with it.

I loved the finale scene when Tony said they buried him.....then Janice said 'really?' and Tony was like "Yeah, on a hilltop, over looking a river....with pine cones"  :lol 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50:29 PM »
Agreed about the Rape scene. I kept saying to myself "surley Tony is going to come through the door and kill this SOB?".......but it just never happened!!! It was brutal.

And Richie.....YES!!! Exactly that. I kept texting my brother and asking "how much more disrespect is Tony going to take?"  It was driving me crazy how Richie was just an utter Dick but kept getting away with it.

I loved the finale scene when Tony said they buried him.....then Janice said 'really?' and Tony was like "Yeah, on a hilltop, over looking a river....with pine cones"  :lol

I love how every time Tony had to reprimand Richie, which was often, it was like watching an adult talking to a child given their differences in height, yet Richie always stood his ground and stared Tony down with "those Manson lamps" (one of my favorite Tony quotes ever).  Like Bobby said, he was fearless for a guy his size.

Jumping back to early in 3, I think one of the best endings to any Sopranos ep is the one when Livia died. Tony fights back tears watching the old Cagney film where he was a total screw-up, yet his mother's love for him was unconditional, which was a stark contrast to Tony who could never please his mother no matter what he did.  It's that kind of next level writing and acting that made the show so awesome.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2021, 08:34:45 AM »

"It's gonna be a while before I eat anything from Satriale's"    :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
Done. 86 episodes in 25 days.

I completely understand the praise the show received in it's original run. So well written, the characters were compelling and my gosh.....James Gandolphini AND Edi Falco were amazing. Edi Falco to me was every bit the reason the show was incredible as James Gandolphini was. The scene where she loses it on Tony after the Russian X-GF calls might be one of the most well acted and executed scenes I've ever watched. It was SO realistic and well acted.

I texted with Kev a bit as I was watching it and there were just so many great scenes.....great moments, it's tough to just single them out. And the detail they put into the show makes it more realistic. The mannerisms, if they're in a kitchen all the appliances are operating 'for real'......the moments characters vomit or whatever....it all was realistic. It wasn't 'hollywooded' up.

I read that with the ambiguous ending that right before Gandolphini died he was petitioning behind the scenes for a Soprano's movie....and that there was some movement on it as the ending was intentional to leave that opportunity. It'd have been neat to see what direction they'd have taken the story had Tony not been killed.

I took it as he was simply shot in the back of the head and that was that. Such a weird thing and a testament to the charisma and ability of James Gandolphini to essentially make you root and pull for a complete POS person. I know they showed glimpses of Tony being compassionate and 'caring'....but the dude was a murdering, philandering sociopath, and you find yourself pulling for the guy.

Anyway.....very glad to have gotten this series in the books. Now I can join the conversations when they take place. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2021, 08:22:48 AM »
Awesome! There is a prequel movie already shot and ready for release and Tony is being played by Gandolfini's son. I'm very curious how that movie does and all I really want is to have the charm of the show in it.

The ending will be argued for ages and I have no idea what the consensus is on what people think happened. I'd like to think most people believe Tony was gone due to the presence of the strange man going to the bathroom while glancing at Tony's table.

In any case, the show is truly amazing and due for a rewatch on my side as well.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2021, 09:07:44 AM »

I took it as he was simply shot in the back of the head and that was that.

That is generally the universally accepted answer to what happened.  David Chase had alluded to a conversation that Tony and Bobby had while fishing in the first episode of season 6, where Bobby is musing about what it's like to get whacked.  "You probably don't hear it when it happens."

There is a youtube video out where someone breaks down the filming of that final scene in the diner, where the camera keeps cutting to and from Tony's point of view of the door as people walk in.  When it cuts to black, that would have been where the scene switches to Tony's point of view of Meadow walking into the diner.  So Tony's point of view is....blackness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »
Awesome! There is a prequel movie already shot and ready for release and Tony is being played by Gandolfini's son. I'm very curious how that movie does and all I really want is to have the charm of the show in it.

The ending will be argued for ages and I have no idea what the consensus is on what people think happened. I'd like to think most people believe Tony was gone due to the presence of the strange man going to the bathroom while glancing at Tony's table.

In any case, the show is truly amazing and due for a rewatch on my side as well.

I've got to watch it all again, but I recall being sort of interested in the idea that nothing happened of consequence, but that Tony's existence went on like it was, living on the edge of that fear, living on the edge of that commitment to his wife, living on the edge of that commitment to his family, all of them subject to whatever consequences might arise from Tony's actions and behaviors.

I think a subtext of that show is that Tony TRIED to change, but never really could get over the hump.  People are who people are.   Vito Spattafore could be a part of the family, he could have a wife and kids, and yet, he couldn't escape his real nature.   Tony could be a part of his marriage, his family, and yet, he couldn't stay faithful to either.  I think that scene was meant to create the tension of that sword of Damocles that was always hanging over their heads, but you never knew when or if it would fall.  I don't think ANYTHING happens in that diner.  But the threat is always there.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2021, 09:19:52 AM »

I took it as he was simply shot in the back of the head and that was that.

That is generally the universally accepted answer to what happened.  David Chase had alluded to a conversation that Tony and Bobby had while fishing in the first episode of season 6, where Bobby is musing about what it's like to get whacked.  "You probably don't hear it when it happens."

There is a youtube video out where someone breaks down the filming of that final scene in the diner, where the camera keeps cutting to and from Tony's point of view of the door as people walk in.  When it cuts to black, that would have been where the scene switches to Tony's point of view of Meadow walking into the diner.  So Tony's point of view is....blackness.

This is exactly how I took it. That conversation and the way the scene was shot. Every time the door bell chimed he looked up and 'saw' someone.....when it chimed for Meadow it went black. I like and understand the ambiguity but at the same time....at least for me.....it seemed pretty clear he was clipped. Even though he had settled things with New York the fact he took out Phil....the head of a New York Family.....I'm sure it was payback for that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
So, did Dr. Melfi lash out at Tony in their last session because she realized her colleagues were right and that he was a total sociopath who used her for 7 years as a way to sharpen his skills.....or did she lash out because she was embarrassed that her colleagues made light of her treating him and didn't really respect it?

For as good as the show is and as an incredible character that Tony Soprano is/was......I fall on the side that she realized he was truly a sociopath and that she'd fallen for his rouse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2021, 07:03:33 PM »
Good to see you finished it, Gary.  :tup :tup

So many theories as to who killed Tony, but I think Patsy giving NY the heads up and Butch having Tony whacked is the most plausible scenario.  There is no way NY on their own or Paulie for example could have known that Tony would be at Holsten's.  Patsy could have easily heard his son say that Meadow was meeting her family for dinner at Holsten's after she went to the doctor and made a quick call.  Remember that Patsy always hated Tony for having his brother whacked, and there was that uneasy exchange between the two at the house in the last episode (Tony gets his drink and hands it to him without even looking at him, and Patsy gives him that "Man, I hate this asshole" look).

Offline DTA

« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2021, 05:45:09 AM »
Anyone seen Many Saints yet?

I’m not sure what to think. I enjoyed it from a nostalgia perspective but I can’t say the story was all that compelling or that it even made sense. Some of the actors seemed off (wtf was up with mini Silvio??) and the ones from the show everyone wanted to see more of seemed underutilized (Junior, Johnny Boy, and Tony mainly).

Plus, the volume of the music seemed to contrast heavily with the volume of the dialogue so I was constantly turning the volume up and down which is a huge pain in the ass since there’s music after every single scene.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2021, 06:43:29 AM »
I loved the movie, though I agree that the music was too loud.  I thought every single actor nailed it - little mannerisms or ways of speaking that called back to the original performance. 

I think the people who don't like it are focused on the fact that Tony isn't the main character, and we see very little of our favorites - Paulie, Silvio, Big Pussy.  There wasn't this clear-cut narrative explaining exactly how Tony gets into the family business.  I didn't need that to enjoy the movie.

In the series, Tony has this awesome respect for Dickie Moltisanti and always talks him up as such a perfect individual.  So Dickie is the main character, and it shows that while everyone else thinks Dickie has it all put together, in reality, Dickie is completely falling apart and losing it, though he was there for Tony when his father wasn't.  So that's what Tony remembers about Dickie, and his death spurred him to follow him into the business.

Offline DTA

« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2021, 05:44:15 AM »
I loved the movie, though I agree that the music was too loud.  I thought every single actor nailed it - little mannerisms or ways of speaking that called back to the original performance. 

I think the people who don't like it are focused on the fact that Tony isn't the main character, and we see very little of our favorites - Paulie, Silvio, Big Pussy.  There wasn't this clear-cut narrative explaining exactly how Tony gets into the family business.  I didn't need that to enjoy the movie.

In the series, Tony has this awesome respect for Dickie Moltisanti and always talks him up as such a perfect individual.  So Dickie is the main character, and it shows that while everyone else thinks Dickie has it all put together, in reality, Dickie is completely falling apart and losing it, though he was there for Tony when his father wasn't.  So that's what Tony remembers about Dickie, and his death spurred him to follow him into the business.

I think my main issue is that Tony wasn't really necessary to the story, but added in obviously to tie it closer to the show. The whole school scene where they're talking about his IQ and Livia and him talking in the kitchen with the hamburger just seemed to exist purely to reference things mentioned in the show but didn't affect the movie plotline in any way. Also, I thought Tony and Silvio were boyhood friends, yet in the movie Tony seems way younger. I did enjoy it for what it was and am always down for Sopranos-related stuff (though Steven Schirrippa on Talking Sopranos is brutal) but it just felt undercooked to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2021, 06:18:20 AM »
I always got the impression that Paulie and Sil were closer in age, with Tony being a bit younger than both (remember that Paulie was buddies with Tony's dad). 

I still need to watch the film, but I can't say I am excited about it.  There are negative reviews everywhere, and literally every single person I know who loved the show and has watched the film thus far has told me the film was a waste of time. Ugh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2022, 07:29:11 PM »
Tony Sirico, who played Paulie, died.  He was 79.

Interesting life this guy had if you read up on it.  He was definitely awesome on The Sopranos.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2022, 07:44:55 PM »
He had some of the best lines in the show. RIP Paulie.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2022, 10:00:20 PM »
The scene where he and Moltisanti were fixing to throw down, and then bonded over whacking that frog waiter was one of my favorite scenes in the show.

Also, "did you sniff that girl's panties?"  :lol

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2022, 12:19:28 PM »
"Ton, I ain't apologizing!"  :lol :lol

Hard to top his one-liner at the Bing when he say Bobby and Vito talking: "It's like an ad for weight loss: before...and way before."  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2022, 03:43:53 PM »
Does anyone remember the episode where Paulie and Christopher chased Ivan/Boris in the forest? It is still a question without an answer for me: what happened with the member of the Russian Mafia? :D

I started to watch "The Sopranos" two weeks ago and I watched that episode with subs using tvsboy.com website. Now I have questions. Will there be a continuation of that story in the future seasons?

I'm pretty sure he escaped back to Russia where he created a company that employs hundreds, if not thousands of people to spam social media platforms with propaganda and marketing. That's just speculation, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2022, 03:46:29 PM »
"Ton, I ain't apologizing!"  :lol :lol

Hard to top his one-liner at the Bing when he say Bobby and Vito talking: "It's like an ad for weight loss: before...and way before."  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Spambot aside, that was one of Paulie's very best scenes. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.

His house looked like shit.  :lol
E.F. Benson