Author Topic: The Sopranos official thread  (Read 13022 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Sopranos official thread
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2019, 02:04:50 PM »
Iím dead serious. It was on at a time when I didnít have HBO and by the time I did it was so far along i just didnít start it. My brothers watched it and Iíve heard all about it. Iíve thought about watching it but there are SO many episodes. Maybe Iíll give it a go after Game of Thrones ends??
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2019, 02:29:54 PM »
Good idea, its up there as one of the best shows ever IMO.  At least check out the first season, if its not your thing then dont bother with the rest, but I think you'll really love it if you watch season 1.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »
Gary, these guys are correct. You need to see this.  Breaking Bad eventually surpassed The Sopranos by a hair, but they are 1a and 1b for me now.  Gandolfini's portrayal as Tony Soprano alone is the stuff of legends.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 08:13:44 AM »
I like to rewatch my top shows and am normally making my way through some series or another by default so I watched the whole series again just last year (I originally watched it on DVD in the late 2000s, got the Blu Ray set a few years ago). Would still be tempting to try to start it again seeing some of this anniversary stuff though :lol

Starting an old TV series that's finished its run and has a lot of episodes is a daunting task. One good thing about The Sopranos from that perspective is that the first season is fairly "complete". It feels like it tells a full satisfying story, and while there's obviously more story to see it doesn't end on an obvious cliffhanger or spend a lot of energy setting up the next season. Also it still has a lot of characters but is a bit more tightly focused on Tony and his immediate relationships than later seasons. Worst comes to worst, I think that after finishing season 1 if you find you're not interested enough in the show to continue with the rest, it'd still have been a decent enough experience in itself to just watch a season, and it covers most of the ideas from The Sopranos that have made it into pop culture already.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 08:27:30 AM »
I would say that if you are not totally into the show after the 5th episode, College, it might not be for you.  The first two are really good, and then we get a magnificent run of "Denial, Anger, Acceptance," "Meadowlands" and "College."  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online krands85

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
I would say that if you are not totally into the show after the 5th episode, College, it might not be for you.
I may be one of the few exceptions to this. The first time I started watching the show, I was pretty 'meh' about it and gave up after the first season. I eventually decided to give it another go (from the start) and loved it. It's now in my top 2 or 3 shows ever.

I was a bit similar with The Wire actually - I wasn't sure what everyone was raving about after I'd seen the first 4 or 5 episodes, but I persevered and I probably prefer it to even The Sopranos.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2019, 01:25:30 AM »
I've never seen it either other than catching some random episodes on TV when it aired. I think it was airing at a time when I didn't watch tv-shows like I do these days.

I was sucked into The Wire after a couple of episodes so I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy The Sopranos.

I might see it someday.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2019, 05:55:46 AM »
I was very late to the party with The Sopranos, as well. I didn't watch it until August of last year, and overall, I would say it lived up to the hype, and the thing that struck me most is that even though it started 20 years ago, it doesn't feel the least bit dated.

Paulie was my favorite character by far, and I never could get on the "everybody loves Tony" bandwagon. I found myself rooting against him more often than not, and I was so glad when Bobby kicked his ass.

Another aspect I enjoyed was the women. The female mob boss in Italy that handed Furio over to Tony in their negotiations, holy shit. I would do things to her I wouldn't do to a farm animal.