Author Topic: The Sopranos official thread  (Read 27777 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Sopranos official thread
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »
I finally got to see the only Sopranos episode I had ever seen when it airs but in context (6-6). The only things I remember was when Tony came down singing "sitting on a park bench" and my friends laughing at the Aqualung reference and Vito leaving his car in the rain and walking away with his bags. No idea why those two things are so vivid.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2016, 08:24:45 PM »
So you are to the "Vito is gay" storyline, largely considered a lowlight of the show.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2016, 05:58:05 PM »
Kinda bummed about the thing with Artie the next episode because he's one of my favorite characters. An asshole with flaws but one of the actual good guys on the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
Yep, always liked Artie. He was much more part of the show in Season 1, but we still always saw him the rest of the way, even if he was rarely featured.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
One thing I'm confused about. So AJ starts the construction job, Paulie comes by, and that sort of initiates the whole AJ's new girlfriend thing. Wasn't that girl Paulie's girl? If so, how come Paulie didn't say anything when he came over to the Soprano residence and she was there?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
I hate episodes like this and it probably has to do with large writing staffs. Apparently Tony is now a degenerate gambler and almost all of his conversations now are about gambling. Then we'll go to the next episode and it's like the gambling thing isn't that big of a deal again (like it has been the entire show).

I don't know why this kind of stuff bugs me but I really hate when good shows take an episode or two "off" to focus on either a side character or some flaw with a main character that is clearly for filler and while the showrunners/writers think it adds some dimension to the show it is usually completely out of character for whoever the focus of the episode is.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
Finale time.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »
That was awesome.

axeman, doesn't your family own that diner?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
That was awesome.

Yes indeed, my dad is one of the owners.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
That was awesome.

Yes indeed, my dad is one of the owners.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
I hate episodes like this and it probably has to do with large writing staffs. Apparently Tony is now a degenerate gambler and almost all of his conversations now are about gambling. Then we'll go to the next episode and it's like the gambling thing isn't that big of a deal again (like it has been the entire show).

I don't know why this kind of stuff bugs me but I really hate when good shows take an episode or two "off" to focus on either a side character or some flaw with a main character that is clearly for filler and while the showrunners/writers think it adds some dimension to the show it is usually completely out of character for whoever the focus of the episode is.

Agreed. I was not a fan of the "Chasing It" episode.  Like you said, we went from Tony always being a gambler on the side, to all of a sudden he can't win and has a problem, and then it is gone again.

That was awesome.

I stand by my long-held view of the finale; the last scene was clever, albeit rather unsatisfying, while the rest of the episode was pretty average.

And what, no reaction to the resolution to the Tony/Christopher relationship??

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2016, 07:30:39 PM »
I was so out of it this morning when I was watching it. It took me a second to realize what he was doing but I wasn't totally surprised since Tony was starting to see Chris as somewhat of a liability. I was surprised he didn't show any emotions in private though, it was just sort of an act he did like when he took out Tony B.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »
The relationship was damaged beyond repair.  The end of Stage 5 is one of the most awesome episode endings they have had, with Phil's realization that he had to change his ways (for the bad), following by the christening where Tony and Chrissy hugged and you could see in both of their eyes during the hug that there was nothing left between them anymore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
Have you heard the news?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
....He is Risen...

Just got to the episode where Vito gets whacked. Loved his storyline there where he skipped town. I thought they did a good job with that.

Also, I was rewatching a few episodes. Christopher's intervention--Two foreshadows both in real life and television.

After learning that Christopher killed the dog by sitting on it, Tony tells Christopher that he ought to suffocate him. I know I'm not to that part yet, but I remember when it was on originally on, Tony suffocates Christopher after the crash.

Second, Christopher chastises Tony for his eating habits and says that with the way Tony eats, he'll be dead of a heart attack by 50. Gandolfini died of a heart attack at 51  :(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:08:04 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2017, 06:09:26 AM »
You might be the first person to say they liked that Vito storyline. :lol :biggrin:

I think, for me Season 6a is so "meh" overall that the Vito storyline just stood out as more meh stuff.  I did like the long dream sequence when Tony was in the coma, and the episode where Johnny Sack's daughter gets married is great, but overall 6a really falls flat.  By far the least best season of an otherwise magnificent show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »
You might be the first person to say they liked that Vito storyline. :lol :biggrin:

I think, for me Season 6a is so "meh" overall that the Vito storyline just stood out as more meh stuff.  I did like the long dream sequence when Tony was in the coma, and the episode where Johnny Sack's daughter gets married is great, but overall 6a really falls flat.  By far the least best season of an otherwise magnificent show.

Yea pretty much agree although the Vito storyline was kind of funny, it was just mostly meh though.

The foreshadowing is interesting.  I read one of those facebook ad websites about 50 interesting tidbits about Sopranos and the James Gandolfini eating habits and heart attack was one of them. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
I don't know, I guess I never really noticed Vito that much and it was nice to see his character a bit more. Same with Bobby in Season 6, it's nice to see him more. I am tired of and have been tired of AJ and Janice though for quite awhile
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »
It didn't help Vito's cause that the actor who played him wasn't much of an actor.  He basically fitted the "fat Italian guy in a mafia movie/show" stereotype to a 't.'  Same for the actors who played Bobby and Sal/Pussy.  But, to all of their credits, they did the best they could in their roles given their limited acting skills. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2017, 03:56:05 PM »
Random anecdote: At a trade show for grocery stores a few years back, Joe Gannascoli was promoting his line of pasta sauces. At the booth was Steve Schirripa (Bobby) and Tony Sirico (Paulie), and Joe. I hadn't seen the show yet, but recognized the faces. Nice guys, sauce was horrible though  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2017, 07:42:06 PM »
I believe the proper word is 'gravy.' :biggrin: :P

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2017, 07:59:06 PM »
Speaking of Gravy, Goodfella Henry Hill has his own line of gravy called Sunday Gravy. It's actually not that bad compared to Joe's gravy, which I don't think is around anymore
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:01 PM »
I was looking through my iTunes today and around the time that I was watching the show I was buying so many of the tracks that would play during the closing credits.

I must say, The Sopranos had one of the best soundtracks, there was never a song out of place and it adds so much character to the show.

My favorite soundtrack moment on the show was this one from the Season 3 premiere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPeIfSrngC4&t=393s 5:55 onward
Watching this one immediately after Season 2, Big Pussy was just killed and then we go right to this opening. It's just awesome. One of my favorite moments in the show
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2017, 06:01:49 AM »
Yep, that was a brilliant way of combining two songs into another that fit the episode perfectly.

It is hard to narrow it down to one, finding the best use of music on the show, but if someone argues this one, I will not disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgi3z4M-Mo

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »
Yep, that was a brilliant way of combining two songs into another that fit the episode perfectly.

It is hard to narrow it down to one, finding the best use of music on the show, but if someone argues this one, I will not disagree:

My fav. was this one because they came off of that fantastic season 1 and there was so much hype. I just like how told those little bits and pieces of catch-up with song and film.

The 0.44 sec. mark : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NngykN1Yw

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »

My fav. was this one because they came off of that fantastic season 1 and there was so much hype. I just like how told those little bits and pieces of catch-up with song and film.

The 0.44 sec. mark : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NngykN1Yw

Yep, that is a great one!

The end of Season 2 is awesome as well with the Rolling Stones' Thru and Thru playing over the montage to end the season.

Too many great ones to mention them all!!! :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:28 PM »

By far my favorite. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it above but this ending left me stunned.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »
Take 45 minutes and watch the below, as 12 cast members of the Sopranos discuss the show 20 years after the pilot.

https://www.today.com/video/-sopranos-cast-reunites-on-20th-anniversary-see-full-interview-1423258179724

Just watching that makes me want to watch the whole series again.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2019, 07:51:37 PM »
They've been showing the whole series on HBO the past few days and I've been popping in and out. I can watch any episode, I just love that show.

Now apparently in 2020, we're getting an HBO movie about Christopher's dad and exploring Tony's childhood.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:51 PM »
Take 45 minutes and watch the below, as 12 cast members of the Sopranos discuss the show 20 years after the pilot.

https://www.today.com/video/-sopranos-cast-reunites-on-20th-anniversary-see-full-interview-1423258179724

Just watching that makes me want to watch the whole series again.

Yeah, I went to the panel discussion they had Wednesday night and it was an absolute blast. You could tell that was a very close cast and crew, lots of good stories. There's a whole film festival going on to celebrate the 20th anniversary through Monday night. I saw a screening of David Chase's movie Not Fade Away, which Gandolfini had a main role in. Pretty good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:11 AM »
Man, time's been running backward for Uncle Jun. Dude looks great. So does Pauly. Silvio, not so much.

In any case, I was expecting people to be discussing "that death scene."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:50 AM »
Silvio keeps getting...bigger.  :lol I actually was taken aback by how old Hesh looked. Paulie still looked good, although his hair is finally going.  Of the main and main supporting characters, Ade and Johnny Sack were the two glaring absences there, but hey, to get all of those 12 of those actors there for that was pretty impressive.  You can tell how much they all thought of Gandolfini. :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2019, 12:03:34 PM »
I've never seen the Soprano's.  (runs and hides behind a wall)

Obviously I've heard of it and 'want' to see it....but it's 90 something episodes and I know how I get on a series. I'd have to seriously adjust my viewing habits if I were to tackle it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »
I've never seen the Soprano's.  (runs and hides behind a wall)

Obviously I've heard of it and 'want' to see it....but it's 90 something episodes and I know how I get on a series. I'd have to seriously adjust my viewing habits if I were to tackle it.

There is no way I just read that post! Dude, you’ve seen everything...I thought...you’re my go to...You’re kidding, right? If, indeed, your serious, which I don’t believe as I didn’t follow this thread from beginning and just your post. One of the greatest shows ever written/acted/directed!! Well, if it is true then watching it as it unfolded when it was current was just BLISS for TV viewing. It inspired so much to come and so many different guess directors for the eps. Please stop current viewing and dive in...NOW!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »
Gary, find the time to watch this.  You'll thank us later  :biggrin: