Author Topic: The Sopranos official thread  (Read 27767 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Sopranos official thread
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
Great post, Necessary Pain.  I agree with almost everything you said. 

I can't imagine a fan of the show thinking anything on it was ever unwatchable, although the Vito storyline in 6A got a bit tedious, but other than that, I don't see it.

GuineaPig, I don't disagree about Meadow and AJ's storylines independent of Tony being not very compelling, but what were they really given?  Once Meadow went off to college in Season 3, the only major things she was involved in were her relationships with Noah, Jackie Jr., Finn, etc.  Even her career decisions, etc. were more or less glossed over quickly, or talked about by others, with maybe a scene here or a scene there about it.  It was never something that really dominated an episode.

As for AJ, again, he was useless, and it didn't help that Robert Iler never became much of an actor.  He was focused on a lot, though, in both 6A and 6B.

But really, who cares that the kids weren't given enough storylines overall? 

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »
Great post, Necessary Pain.  I agree with almost everything you said. 

I can't imagine a fan of the show thinking anything on it was ever unwatchable, although the Vito storyline in 6A got a bit tedious, but other than that, I don't see it.

GuineaPig, I don't disagree about Meadow and AJ's storylines independent of Tony being not very compelling, but what were they really given?  Once Meadow went off to college in Season 3, the only major things she was involved in were her relationships with Noah, Jackie Jr., Finn, etc.  Even her career decisions, etc. were more or less glossed over quickly, or talked about by others, with maybe a scene here or a scene there about it.  It was never something that really dominated an episode.

As for AJ, again, he was useless, and it didn't help that Robert Iler never became much of an actor.  He was focused on a lot, though, in both 6A and 6B.

But really, who cares that the kids weren't given enough storylines overall? 

i really liked the Vito story line. I don't know maybe i'm alone lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:36 AM »
The problem with the Vito storyline was that it ran parallel to other major storylines that weren't as exciting as those in years past.  Had that storyline taken place when other major storylines, that were much more popular, were going on, it probably wouldn't have caught as much grief as it did. 

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
i posted this in the the other thread but i think it's more appropriate here...

Surprised Irena with an awesome day trip! Was a lot of fun and took some pics and video. They’re in a set called "Sopranos Day W/Irena".
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60382194@N08/sets/72157626252422022/

Also took this video which i uploaded to youtube. Check out the description!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pfreD1sshQ

here are a few sample pics!

Untitled by tjanuranus, on Flickr

The infamous seat from the last scene. by tjanuranus, on Flickr

Untitled by tjanuranus, on Flickr

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
It has now been four years and two days since Tony Soprano died. 

Shame on me for being two days late in posting this. :lol

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
and every Friday and Saturday Sopranos bus tours still come through my family's restaurant :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
I'm actually on season 5 of the show right now, first time seeing it, but loving every second of it!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
Any scene with Paulie was just pure gold.

Literally made me LOL in every scene he was in. Just the most perfect, most selfish, ass-kissing character in TV history.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
Tell us more, Dimitrius!  Favorite scenes, episodes, characters, etc.!  I could discuss Sopranos all day and night. :)

NP, Paulie was a great character, although I do think he became a bit unlikable later in the series, pretty much after he committed probably the most despicable murder of the entire series (can anyone guess what it is?).  However, it always kills me in Season 6 (I'll leave out the main subject matter so as not to spoil it for Dimitrius or anyone else who hasn't seen it yet) when he is talking on the phone about a million dollar score, while clipping coupons at the same time. :lol :lol :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
Tell us more, Dimitrius!  Favorite scenes, episodes, characters, etc.!  I could discuss Sopranos all day and night. :)
Well, I lied, I disliked what they did with Livia. The actress had died, why they didn't just do a "she died in her sleep" and felt the need to do what they did is beyond me!

But let's see, I love practically any scene with Paulie in it, especially when he thought ghosts were after him. The scenes with Melfi and Tony are always enjoyable, Joe Pantoliano was cool while he lasted and I like the few times Silvio goes all out on people.

I don't remember exactly which episode I'm on, I remember that it's soon after Carmine dies and there's some definite tension growing between Johnny Sacks and Tony.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:44:37 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »
Yeah, the final scene with Livia, using CGI, was a definite WTF.  It seems like most fans of the show agree that that scene was unnecessary and forgettable.  The end of the episode is very powerful, though, with Tony watching the James Cagney movie where Cagney's character's mother was very caring and loving, unlike Livia, and Tony tearing up as the episode ended.  

The scene with Paulie and the psychic was hysterical.  

Joey Pants was incredible as Ralphie.  He managed to make that character easy to hate, yet very funny at the same time.  The scene with Tony where they discuss what to do with Jackie Jr. following the his card game shenanigans with his buddies is one of the best scenes of the whole series.  Tony plays him like a fiddle in that scene. 

Keep us up to date on your Season 5 progress.  The whole season is magnificent, except for In Camelot, which sticks out like a sore thumb, and is probably the worst episode of the entire series.  

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »
NP, Paulie was a great character, although I do think he became a bit unlikable later in the series, pretty much after he committed probably the most despicable murder of the entire series (can anyone guess what it is?).  However, it always kills me in Season 6 (I'll leave out the main subject matter so as not to spoil it for Dimitrius or anyone else who hasn't seen it yet) when he is talking on the phone about a million dollar score, while clipping coupons at the same time. :lol :lol :lol

Even that murder had me LOL'ing, simply due to how ridiculous it was.  :lol (I hope you're talking about the matress 'scene')

And shit, I forgot about the coupon scene! Another golden moment.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
Finished season 5, those last two episodes had some real tense moments!

Also, Kev, when you refer to Paulie's despicable murder, SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES is it when he kills the old woman that didn't like Paulie's mom?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »
I assumed he meant Pie-O-My.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »
Wait, what?!?!?!

Did I miss when the show outright said that?!?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
Yes, I was referring to Paulie murdering Minn at the end of Season 4.  

It was never stated who killed the horse.  The popular theory is that Ralph did it, but it was never confirmed, and Joey Pants has said in several interviews that he played the scene like Ralph didn't kill the horse.  I always thought it was delicious irony that, after Ralph did a million things that he deserved to be whacked for, Tony killed him over something he didn't do.

Also, I still say that Long Term Parking was the best Sopranos episode.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
Ah, ok! For a moment there I thought I had completely missed that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Well, one "out there" was that Paulie killed the horse as retribution for Ralph's prank call to Nucci, but I never bought that.  Everything indicated that it was an accident.  But Tony was upset, and Ralph didn't give two craps about it (and really, why should he have, considering his son was in the hospital with a serious injury?), so it was easy for Tony to jump to that conclusion, even if it was probably wrong.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
No, I completely understand why Tony would jump to a conclusion and why Ralph was just like "I don't give a shit", but I always felt that it was just an accident.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »
I don't know if everything is made to look like it was an accident (Ralph's defence was suspicious), but I feel that it is deliberately ambiguous.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »
Just checking in to say I'm beginning Season 3 of The Sopranos.   I know I'm late but I never had HBO.  I've got it On Demand now and have watched the first two seasons in four day's time.

It's brilliant!  I'm glad I have so many much left to view!

as you were...   :hat
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »
Awesome. IMO, Seasons 1 and 2 are the best ones, along with Season 5, but the rest are no slouches either.  Keep us posted as to your progress!! :coolio

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »
I have only seen a handful of episodes which has surprised just about everyone I know.  Usually if something has to do with the mafia, I am on it like white on rice.  For some reason, though, I never sat down weekly to watch The Sopranos. It's not that I dislike it or have no interest. It's just one of those things where I never remembered to watch it. Maybe one day I'll start to watch the episodes. 

Offline sueño

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »
I have only seen a handful of episodes which has surprised just about everyone I know.  Usually if something has to do with the mafia, I am on it like white on rice.  For some reason, though, I never sat down weekly to watch The Sopranos. It's not that I dislike it or have no interest. It's just one of those things where I never remembered to watch it. Maybe one day I'll start to watch the episodes.

you really should.  It is some seriously good drama.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline sueño

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »
I'm on the second to the last episode in season 6.     :eek

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »
6a or 6b?

Offline sueño

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
6b

Finished by now.   That last scene in the diner with the family...the tension, snap to black and dead silence was exquisite!!!   :eek

I think it's a tie with Breaking Bad for a great finale.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
Nah. I don't think it touches the Breaking Bad finale.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Sopranos to death, and thought that last scene, in hindsight, was brilliant, but the rest of the last episode was just okay.  It didn't have that finale feel to it.  It was just like another episode, and not a very good one overall.  If I had to list my top 20 Sopranos episodes, for instance, it wouldn't come close to making it.  No, it wasn't a terrible episode like In Camelot or Christopher (undoubtedly the two worst of the series), but it still wasn't that good.  I think it didn't help that so many of the main characters had been killed off that it felt kind of empty.  Of course, that was the point - Tony had few people close to him left - but it was just...lacking.  The last scene was still great, though!

Offline sueño

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
Actually, I agree with you.   I'm probably more psyched off of that last scene than anything else.

I could barely breathe thru the whole thing...and Meadow, park that car, already!!!  :P

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »
I finally got around to starting this from the beginning about two weeks ago. I have two episodes left of season 3. THis is hands down the best show I've watched in a very long time. So many feels. Couple of thoughts....

- Everyone on the show is a piece of shit but I like them anyway
- I feel bad for Carmella, but at the same time, she sticks around
- Meadow is getting crazy good looking as the show goes on
- Paulie is the worst of them. I like him the least.
- Shame what went down with Puss.
- Jennifer getting raped was the hardest thing I've ever watched on a TV show. The girlfriend and I had to stop and take a ten minute breather after that. Anyone that bitched about that GOT scene has obviously never seen the scene I'm referring to.
- Bruce Springsteen's guitar player is Silvio  :lol :lol He's my favorite.
- I'm so glad Richie didn't last long.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 02:29:54 PM »
I refuse to watch the rape scene.  I saw it once and that was enough.  Very hard to watch, for sure.

The first time watching, I was also glad to see Richie go when he did, but every time since, man, you wished he had stuck around longer. The scenes where he and Tony argued (see: almost any involving both :lol) were always great.  Still, he had to go when he did.

Carmela is hard to feel sorry for.  She knew was she was getting into, and she took full advantage of being the wife of a mob boss. The episode in Season 2 where she intimidates her neighbor's sister into writing a rec for Meadow for Georgetown said it all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »
Such a good show!  I caught an episode on a flight a couple months ago and was reminded how great this show was.  I should go back and rewatch for fun since I have it all on DVD.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2015, 05:44:52 AM »
The episode in Season 2 where she intimidates her neighbor's sister into writing a rec for Meadow for Georgetown said it all.

Good point. I forgot about that.

I have one episode left in season three. The one I finished last night was the one where Jackie and his two friends jacked Christopher's poker game. Man, that was so intense.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:09:36 AM by Chino »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2015, 05:55:09 AM »
I love the Sopranos, never did get to see it when it aired but finally caught it on Amazon Prime when it became available. Such a great show and will need to watch it again sometime soon. Definitely a top 5 show of all time for me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan