Author Topic: The EXPANSE  (Read 26249 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The EXPANSE
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2022, 08:31:09 AM »
It'd be cool if they'd wait a few years then pick the story back up but if they don't....I'm completely satisfied with the series and how it ended.

I am as well. Like I said before, just perfect.

That being said, if they do start up again, they'd need new (older) actors to play main characters...a difficult pill to swallow for us fans of the series. The current actors are the characters--for me at least.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2022, 08:56:35 AM »
It'd be cool if they'd wait a few years then pick the story back up but if they don't....I'm completely satisfied with the series and how it ended.

I am as well. Like I said before, just perfect.

That being said, if they do start up again, they'd need new (older) actors to play main characters...a difficult pill to swallow for us fans of the series. The current actors are the characters--for me at least.

I don't necessarily think so. 'Aging' and actor is way more simple than de-aging as the de-aging requires a ton of CGI but aging them doesn't. It can be practical techniques. For example, this show I just finished on HBO Max, Station 11, had several characters that were young (30-40 yrs old) and were aged 20 years and it looked legit.

I think they could pull it off.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2022, 09:26:20 AM »
True, but they'd need the right budget. I get the feeling that budget concerns is why we only got six episodes this season. On top of all the expensive CGI this series requires, I don't think the bean-counters would approve of adding on a crew of practical makeup artists in order to age everyone 30 years. We love the series, but I'm not sure it's all that popular with the larger viewing audience.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2022, 10:46:44 AM »
True, but they'd need the right budget. I get the feeling that budget concerns is why we only got six episodes this season. On top of all the expensive CGI this series requires, I don't think the bean-counters would approve of adding on a crew of practical makeup artists in order to age everyone 30 years. We love the series, but I'm not sure it's all that popular with the larger viewing audience.

The dark horse in this is Jeff Bezos. He's the single reason why the show was able to continue after the third season. Once SyFy cancelled it.....he picked it up and greenlit the final three seasons immediately because it was/is one of his favorite book series and he loved the show. I'm wondering if he'd just say 'F' it and greenlight the remainder no matter the cost. Dude certainly has the $$$ to do so if he so desired.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2022, 09:08:20 PM »
Excellent ending to a fantastic series! Honestly, EXPANSE is up there with shows like Mr. Robot, Travelers, Mr. In Between, Breaking Bad...I know there are a few more I can't think of right now....but it's up there with shows that ended pretty much perfectly.

[cough]12 Monkeys[cough]

Anyway, finished the show. Amazed how they wrapped it up. I had a feeling the magic dogs must have been a set up for the later books. The next book is 28 years later. I agree that the makeup end would be huge if they tried to keep the same cast. Maybe they will wait 25 years or so and then shoot it.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2022, 09:28:13 PM »
Excellent ending to a fantastic series! Honestly, EXPANSE is up there with shows like Mr. Robot, Travelers, Mr. In Between, Breaking Bad...I know there are a few more I can't think of right now....but it's up there with shows that ended pretty much perfectly.

[cough]12 Monkeys[cough]

Anyway, finished the show. Amazed how they wrapped it up. I had a feeling the magic dogs must have been a set up for the later books. The next book is 28 years later. I agree that the makeup end would be huge if they tried to keep the same cast. Maybe they will wait 25 years or so and then shoot it.  :lol

100% on board with 12 Monkeys ending perfectly as well. Another great series!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2022, 08:05:56 PM »
On to Season 5...this show really doesn't let off in terms of quality, does it? I especially love the detail involved in the actual speculative science, they're really putting solid thought into all the smallest things, and how they would be 300 or so years from now. For example, when Amos gets his fingers shot off on New Terra, and he's in the medical chair when they leave, he has this little glove thing on which is digitally reprinting/re-growing his fingers. Very cool stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2022, 08:37:27 PM »
On to Season 5...this show really doesn't let off in terms of quality, does it? I especially love the detail involved in the actual speculative science, they're really putting solid thought into all the smallest things, and how they would be 300 or so years from now. For example, when Amos gets his fingers shot off on New Terra, and he's in the medical chair when they leave, he has this little glove thing on which is digitally reprinting/re-growing his fingers. Very cool stuff.

Love the tech on the show, it has a well-grounded approach to the science behind everything. I love in season 4 too how the chemo is generated on the fly and attacks very specific cells.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2022, 08:45:15 PM »
Ok, not that I'm falling for her, but I just gotta repeat my adoration for Drummer, such a fucking intense strength and honor in that character. The whole scene with her, Marco and Filip, she was stone fucking cold, yet spoke endless volumes with those eyes. Cara Gee just crushes the role.

Ok, maybe I'm falling for her a bit.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2022, 09:00:20 PM »
Ok, not that I'm falling for her, but I just gotta repeat my adoration for Drummer, such a fucking intense strength and honor in that character. The whole scene with her, Marco and Filip, she was stone fucking cold, yet spoke endless volumes with those eyes. Cara Gee just crushes the role.

Ok, maybe I'm falling for her a bit.

No shame in that. It’s a great character and that actress played the role incredibly.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2022, 09:49:30 AM »
As soon as I saw the finale, it took everything in my power to not just start the whole thing over again. This series is great and I'm recommending it to just about everyone I know right now. Watching it from beginning to end, without much concern for "seasons" but rather as one whole story, will probably be awesome when I eventually get to it.

Also, this was pretty epic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/01/16/amazons-the-expanse-finale-packed-30-easter-eggs-into-one-shot/?sh=472de44c184c
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2022, 12:03:46 AM »
Ok I"m done. 19 days beginning to end...I really need to get a social life. :lol

Anyways...outstanding show overall, well written, well produced, and very, very well acted. Not sure where the zombie kid bit fits in, and why it was left hanging, but a work friend told me that's where the story gets drawn out going further in the books. Seemed just a brutal tease more than anything else to me. I'm honestly bummed they let Filip live in the end...I think it takes away from the sacrifice Naomi made in (though she isn't aware that he's alive)..plus as Hef said, fuck the kid anyways.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2022, 05:14:59 AM »
Anyways...outstanding show overall, well written, well produced, and very, very well acted. Not sure where the zombie kid bit fits in, and why it was left hanging, but a work friend told me that's where the story gets drawn out going further in the books. Seemed just a brutal tease more than anything else to me. I'm honestly bummed they let Filip live in the end...I think it takes away from the sacrifice Naomi made in (though she isn't aware that he's alive)..plus as Hef said, fuck the kid anyways.

Nah, it's too important to Holden's story/character that, as he said, "I couldn't be the guy who kills your kid." Filip's end, as far as the complete story goes, is fitting in that we never hear from him again. He just wasn't that significant. We're free to presume whatever end.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »
been binging the last 3+ weeks.

Just finished Season 4 last night...this show has grown on me a ton.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2022, 09:23:11 AM »

Nah, it's too important to Holden's story/character that, as he said, "I couldn't be the guy who kills your kid." Filip's end, as far as the complete story goes, is fitting in that we never hear from him again. He just wasn't that significant. We're free to presume whatever end.

But Holden didn't push the button, Naomi did. And also, I think the earlier discussion settled the matter on Holden's culpability in the situation, Naomi pretty much put him in his place there.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2022, 12:12:26 PM »
Ok I"m done. 19 days beginning to end...I really need to get a social life. :lol

Reminds me of when I watched Breaking Bad in 13 days. I was on a mission. So much sacrificed sleep on work nights.

I knew you’d dig the show. It’s just THAT good.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2022, 02:23:16 PM »

Reminds me of when I watched Breaking Bad in 13 days. I was on a mission. So much sacrificed sleep on work nights.

I knew you’d dig the show. It’s just THAT good.

Yeah, the only time I came that close was eiterh 6 seasons of GOT in a few weeks, or all of Heroes in about a month.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2022, 05:32:24 AM »

But Holden didn't push the button, Naomi did. And also, I think the earlier discussion settled the matter on Holden's culpability in the situation, Naomi pretty much put him in his place there.

Okay, it's obvious I wasn't tracking what you were talking about. I saw the Hef comment and my brain switched over to the end of the episode where Holden cancelled the warhead. It's probably safer to ignore me. It works for most people who know me IRL

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2022, 06:11:57 AM »
It's a fabulous show. Sad that it's over.

I've not read the books but I felt the last series was a little short and abrupt but loved every minute.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2022, 06:16:26 PM »
Loved this show, although I'm not quite as crazy about the ending (namely Marco's fate. I say that, per you didn't really get the classic standoff between him and Holden or Naomi..or even say his son); but the more I read, I'm okay with it.

It looks like the final 3 books could be adapted at some point.

https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-7-spinoff-laconia-future-next-show/

I'm going to likely go onto my YouTube Channel and babble on about in a video soon. And I also plan to make a Scifi Shows set in Space Top 20 video for shits and giggles...I would say at this point, The Expanse is hardly my favorite Scifi Show set in Space, but it certainly is up there, and the best made in the last decade for sure.

I am awfully curious though about stuff like the Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica reboots that are in the works.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »
I see zero reason to reboot Battlestar Gallactica. The previous reboot/series was near perfect. There’s no way to improve on it….I think they stand a better chance at making a steaming pile of crap than anything better than what we’ve seen.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2022, 08:17:02 PM »
I see zero reason to reboot Battlestar Gallactica. The previous reboot/series was near perfect. There’s no way to improve on it….I think they stand a better chance at making a steaming pile of crap than anything better than what we’ve seen.

Seriously... I still hold that up as the gold standard for all Sci fi television shows. Any attempt would just tarnish the legacy

Offline faizoff

« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2022, 08:26:26 PM »
Is BSG being rebooted? I thought they were making it set in the same universe, I know Sam Esmail of Mr.Robot is involved in it in a producers' capacity and vaguely recall him saying the original and reboot are sacred ground to him and it's more of a re-tread rather than reboot.

Found this
The new Battlestar Galactica destined for Peacock is currently being helmed by executive producer Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot) who has said that the show will be less of a reboot and instead take place in the same continuity as the early-2000s Battlestar Galactica.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2022, 09:14:57 PM »
Is BSG being rebooted? I thought they were making it set in the same universe, I know Sam Esmail of Mr.Robot is involved in it in a producers' capacity and vaguely recall him saying the original and reboot are sacred ground to him and it's more of a re-tread rather than reboot.

Found this
The new Battlestar Galactica destined for Peacock is currently being helmed by executive producer Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot) who has said that the show will be less of a reboot and instead take place in the same continuity as the early-2000s Battlestar Galactica.

Phew...to it not being a direct reboot, and an even bigger phew to Esmail being involved.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2022, 09:56:13 PM »
sorry, ...well "Reboot" or just a new series set in the universe I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSECWyEMwvc

I know like 2 years ago, there was something about it, and then just last week I was suggested this video on YouTube (the guy says Roland D. Moore, but meant to use Ronald and typed in a correction in the description).

There is a Remake of the Original Galactica Film from 1978.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2022, 10:18:37 PM »

Found this

Phew...to it not being a direct reboot, and an even bigger phew to Esmail being involved.

100% that. Now I’m curious.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #271 on: March 29, 2022, 07:38:41 AM »
It's a fabulous show. Sad that it's over.

I've not read the books but I felt the last series was a little short and abrupt but loved every minute.

Just finished my first watch through of The Expanse and I feel the same way! :metal

Hands down some of the best Sci-fi I've ever watched. First season started of a bit slow, but before long I was hooked. Final season was a bit disappointing though. I don't know what kind of drama was there backstage, but it was a mistake to make it only six episodes.

The Laconia subplot just abruptly ended, without any kind of closure. The war with the Free Navy, was also wrapped very fast! But I liked where it ended up for the most part. Most of the characters got nice endings. Drummer, Amos and Bobbie were my favorite characters and I liked where they ended up!

Going to rewatch this at some point in the future, for sure! And I hope the final 3 books get adapted at some point.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2022, 10:38:57 AM »
I'm very late to the party, but I watched the entire series with my family over the last couple of months, and it was amazing.  I do think the final season could have used a few more episodes, but, otherwise, a near-flawless series.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #273 on: July 26, 2022, 06:37:31 AM »
I've recently been feeling a bit starved for good entertainment, so I said screw it and decided to go back through The Expanse from start to finish. I originally watched the first four seasons in a chunk, then the fifth season, and then the sixth season. I'm really excited to essentially disregard the seasons and move through it as one big story. I'm really hoping they release a 4K boxset one day.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2022, 07:00:50 AM »
I'm really hoping they release a 4K boxset one day.

Same here, it's why I held off buying the complete boxset when it came on sale. I don't have high hopes though, since they're on Prime in 4k I somehow doubt they will see the light of day due to very niche demand.