Author Topic: The Sopranos official thread  (Read 27788 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Sopranos official thread
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »
In this thread, we discuss any and everything about the greatest television show ever. 

Warning: If you have never seen the show before, there are likely to be all kinds of spoilers in this thread, so beware.

I'll start the ball rolling...

Here is how I rank the seasons in order:

6b
6a

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Sopranos official thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
I have watched dozens of episodes on HBO over the years, but never in any order. I get the overall idea, and I enjoy the show very much. The actors and actresses do a great job, and it is cool watching them age over the years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
In regards to the acting, it can never be said enough how awesome a job Edie Falco did as Carmela.  Gandolfini was obviously dynamite as Tony Soprano, but Falco was arguably as good as him.  There are certain scenes that I can rewatch and still be absolutely blown away by her acting. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
I'm actually about to watch this show from the beginning. I just finished watching The Wire, so I figured this one should be next.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:44:21 AM »
I'm actually about to watch this show from the beginning. I just finished watching The Wire, so I figured this one should be next.
Prepare to witness the show of a lifetime.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:44:45 AM »
This was my favorite show ever until I watched the Wire  :sadpanda:

I can't rank seasons since I don't remember exactly what happened in each, but from the temporary characters I enjoyed Buscemi and Pantoliano a lot.

Also Kev, I totally agree with your comment on Falco. The scene in the hospital (you know which) had me literally in tears.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »
I've always wanted to follow this, but never gotten the opportunity.
Oh well, guess i gotta get it done.  ;)

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:19:12 AM »
Amazing show.

Not sure exactly how to rank seasons, they're all so good. 2 and 5 are a couple of the best, I think 3 is probably the worst.
So... what does everyone think of the ending? :P

Personally I'd already heard of it so I was expecting it. I do see why people don't like it, but now that I know more about it I think it's pretty good. It's just one scene so you can take it or leave it really, and it gives people something to think about / talk about for the ending, instead of just ending like a regular episode.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
Great show, it was fun having to compact watching the whole thing into basically two months.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »
In regards to the acting, it can never be said enough how awesome a job Edie Falco did as Carmela.  Gandolfini was obviously dynamite as Tony Soprano, but Falco was arguably as good as him.  There are certain scenes that I can rewatch and still be absolutely blown away by her acting. 

100% agreed. When she told him "I don't love you anymore" in the big emotional breakup, it absolutely could have been a real-life moment.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »

Good call!  Feel free to post away as you go through the episodes. :tup :tup

Also Kev, I totally agree with your comment on Falco. The scene in the hospital (you know which) had me literally in tears.

How about the "Whitecaps" episode?  I feel sorry for any other actress in a drama series that season, because after seeing that, they had to be thinking, "Well, there goes my shot at winning the Emmy this year." :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »

100% agreed. When she told him "I don't love you anymore" in the big emotional breakup, it absolutely could have been a real-life moment.

Absolutely.  Or when the first fight begins, and Carmela says that the cousin wouldn't make it up and that she's jealous, she then starts hitting him, and when Tony grabs her to restrain her, the way she screams, "Let go of me!" the first time is chilling.  It is so realistic, it's scary.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 06:59:23 PM »
Oh shit. That was a tough scene :lol So realistic, and it wasn't even an arabic drama soap! :omg:

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
I watched the first four episodes since last night. I really like it so far.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
I watched the first four episodes since last night. I really like it so far.

Sweet.  Keep it up. :tup :tup

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 09:45:48 AM »
"College" was an incredible episode. Wow, I'm officially hooked.
I AM A GUY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
"College" is unique in that the powers-that-be did not want the show's main character to commit such a horrible crime on-screen, as they feared fans of the show were turn against him, but David Chase was adamant about Tony being the one to do it.  And he was right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
"College" is arguably the best episode of the series.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »
"College" is arguably the best episode of the series.

It's up there.  Personally, I think "Long Term Parking" is the best, with "Pine Barrens" and "The Knight in White Satin Armor" not far behind.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 02:00:02 AM »
I woke up this morning, guys... And got myself a gun. What do?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 02:46:08 AM »

Dunno. Did your papa tell you about right and wrong?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:33 AM »

Dunno. Did your papa tell you about right and wrong?

Nope, never. Shame about it, I was born under a bad sign. I guess.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 10:45:38 PM »
just finished the Sopranos. Holy shit people weren't kidding when they said best TV Show ever. There aren't many movies that are better than that let alone Tv shows.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
I think all of the successors to The Sopranos were superior to it (with the exception of Boardwalk Empire), but it still deserves a lot of credit.  The series suffers from a few big flaws, especially in the later seasons, that imo drags its quality below (and sometimes well below) the shows it paved the way for.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 09:28:23 AM »
just finished the Sopranos. Holy shit people weren't kidding when they said best TV Show ever. There aren't many movies that are better than that let alone Tv shows.

Damn straight.  :tup :tup

I think all of the successors to The Sopranos were superior to it (with the exception of Boardwalk Empire), but it still deserves a lot of credit.  The series suffers from a few big flaws, especially in the later seasons, that imo drags its quality below (and sometimes well below) the shows it paved the way for.

And what are these alleged big flaws?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 09:51:32 AM »
Most of them come from it running too long.  Themes were re-trodden, characters and plot arcs were extended into unreasonable places, and some stretches became nauseatingly dull/unwatchable from either contempt of the audience (on behalf of Chase) or flimsy motivation.  Meadow and AJ failed to become compelling characters independent of Tony.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:58 AM »
couldn't disagree more i loved Aj's character especially in the last season. Honestly i don't see the complaints you guys are making. I wasn't bored for a second.

Offline Metal

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
The only issue I have with the entire series is the open ended, non-closure of the pine barrens episode.  I (wrongly) assumed that the Russian would become a HUGE story line later on, and because of that, have always felt a bit disappointed. 
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
The only issue I have with the entire series is the open ended, non-closure of the pine barrens episode.  I (wrongly) assumed that the Russian would become a HUGE story line later on, and because of that, have always felt a bit disappointed. 

I always assumed that he died from the gun shot wound. I figure if he didn't die he would still be in the story. What do you think?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
Why did their characters have to become independent of Tony?  Meadow's arc was very realistic, in that she was always considering law or med school, but after leaning towards med school at first, she eventually went with law, in large part because of how she not only saw her father treated (through her eyes), but minorities, too.  And AJ was always a useless dolt, so him not going anywhere was no big shock. :lol

As for Pine Barrens, again, that is very realistic.  Besides, since he was never heard from again, it is probably safe to assume that he died, but they simply couldn't find him once they got lost in the woods.  That added to the greatness of that episode, and I never expected anything else to come of that.  Remember, David Chase was never about wrapping everything up in a nice little package, or going with the predictable "Hollywood" rout.  Heck, look at the end of the Employee of the Month episode.  Everybody and their mother wanted Dr. Melfi to tell Tony what happened, so Tony could make mincemeat out of that rapist, but her doing so would have destroyed her character and made her not much better than Tony.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
Why did their characters have to become independent of Tony?  Meadow's arc was very realistic, in that she was always considering law or med school, but after leaning towards med school at first, she eventually went with law, in large part because of how she not only saw her father treated (through her eyes), but minorities, too.  And AJ was always a useless dolt, so him not going anywhere was no big shock. :lol

I meant that their characters were not compelling in storylines independent of Tony.

I like the lack of resolution to "Pine Barrens."

Offline Metal

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »

I always assumed that he died from the gun shot wound. I figure if he didn't die he would still be in the story. What do you think?

That is a good point.  I always thought that since the trail of blood just ends, that it was a very minor wound and he was able to cover it. The episode also made him seem very survivalist when compared to the highly incompetent Chris & Paulie.  I wanted to see a mob conflict between Tony's crew and the Russian boss he was dealing with, and I figured that was where it was going.
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »

yeah that's good a point. Didn't think about that! have to watch it again.
That is a good point.  I always thought that since the trail of blood just ends, that it was a very minor wound and he was able to cover it. The episode also made him seem very survivalist when compared to the highly incompetent Chris & Paulie.  I wanted to see a mob conflict between Tony's crew and the Russian boss he was dealing with, and I figured that was where it was going.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:12:13 PM by tjanuranus »

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
Most of them come from it running too long.  Themes were re-trodden, characters and plot arcs were extended into unreasonable places, and some stretches became nauseatingly dull/unwatchable from either contempt of the audience (on behalf of Chase) or flimsy motivation.  Meadow and AJ failed to become compelling characters independent of Tony.

Couldn't disagree more with you there. And I know you're a big fan of HBO and good TV.

You used the word 'unwatchable'. Which show were you watching? Because I thought each and every Season was brilliant from start to finish.

I think you're looking for something in The Sopranos that just isn't there. The Sopranos never goes out of its way to develop characters. Instead, it relies upon its plot development and its performances. If you're expecting some massive character arc to come in, then you're always going to be disappointed. This show was more about how things can go from good, to bad, to great, to absolute disaster. It was realistic in that sense.

Themes are always re-trodden in good TV shows. If you're expecting any more than 3 Seasons, then that's a given.

Sopranos is every bit as good as The Wire, IMO. Maybe not quite as consistant, as you may point out. But both are way up there. What I like more about Sopranos, is the unpredictability in its writing. It's just so effortless at times, it makes me wonder why anyone needs character development in the first place. Things don't just happen for a reason. They just happen.

It's like the show just 'is'.

People are often quick to point out the Dr Melfi situation at the end. But if they're looking for closure they're watching the wrong TV show. It's like the very last scene in the show. Simply put - it just ends. Take it of leave it. (of course there are many interpretations, but you get the jist of it)

Might go back and watch them all again, infact. Just pure brilliance.

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.