Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54582 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Arch/Matheos
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
A progmetal guitarist doesn't like progmetal?  :\
Well, Fates Warning was never really all that similar to the Dream Theater/Redemption style of prog metal.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2011, 07:44:07 AM »
A progmetal guitarist doesn't like progmetal?  :\
Well, Fates Warning was never really all that similar to the Dream Theater/Redemption style of prog metal.

Yeah, I guess, but I still think there's more to this.....he seems pissed off at Ray or something

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
I got in touch with Jim yesterday in regard to this. He'd rather not go into it more publicly, but he did say that for the record:

"There is/was absolutely no drama between Ray and I (or Nick, who I consider a friend, and I)."

I was going to do a brief news story on this issue, but Jim didn't want to go on the record and comment any further other then to clarify that stuff between he and Ray and Nick is all fine.

So while that doesn't answer our question regarding Jim's comment, it does put to bed whether or not there is any issue between those guys. According to Jim, there isn't an issue or beef.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »
Thanks, Brian.  Nice job reaching out to Jim on that topic.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »
Thanks. Jim and I have a good rapport thanks to that coverage I did on the Parallels re-release. He's a good guy and really communicative.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline emtee

« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
This is my 2011 album of the year.

I guess it's natural for albums that come out later to get the nod because of the newness, but I went back and spun
all my 2011 purchases and this album wins hands down. TERIFFIC drumming! Unbelievable riffs and the production
is stellar. A total surprise for me. I would have never expected this album to own me like it did.

But it did.

Good job to Jim and the whole gang. I only hope they do another one!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »
Frank Aresti just announced Arch/Matheos' one and only U.S. show is in Connecticut on Saturday, May 5!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jammindude

« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
They had *BETTER* record a DVD!!!   :-\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm so at this show.  I liked this venue.  Same place Fates Warning played their Parallels reunion show in 2010.  I'm gonna be right up against the stage from pounding my fist into the damn air as hard as possible.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
Damnit...too close to graduation.  Any other time I would have made a vacation out of it and hit up The Dear Hunter in Boston two or three days later.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »
Just revisiting SR and seems I was a bit harsh. It's still a bit unrelenting and monotone, but the songs are there. The vocal is like a young Geoff Tate on full tilt all the time. No doubting the quality of his voice- just needs a bit of variety in the delivery maybe- and some keyboards would have lightened the tone a bit.
Better than I first thought though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »
Frank Aresti just announced Arch/Matheos' one and only U.S. show is in Connecticut on Saturday, May 5!

Wow, expect some FW classics here.  I love Frank Aresti.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
Just bought my ticket, bitches!  Chicka chicka, yeah!

Offline chucke

« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »
I just got the CD!

Man, I am very impressed!

Matheos is a great guitarist with great tone! He is modern sounding but he still has old school sounds as well. I love the way he sometimes plays heavy riffage over finderpicking.

The entire band is hella tight! The drums are great, they add a lot to the overall sound/tightness/dynamics.

It took a while to get used to Arch's vocals, but he can definitely belt them out! He brings a lot to the overall sound.

The production is great as well.

Me likes!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
Going to be interviewing Matheos tomorrow, any questions you folks would like asked about this?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »
hrrmm...maybe just whether or not he pictures another arch/matheos album in the foreseeable future

Offline chucke

« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
Ask him what gauge strings he uses when he tunes down to "C".

Also ask him how he keeps his eyebrows so thick. I had eyebrows like his when I was younger but they don't look as thick anymore.  :laugh:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
Well, the obvious question would be what plans are in place for the new Fates Warning album and what sort of direction he might be taking it in. But I'm sure you've thought of that already.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »
Yeah.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2012, 07:58:44 AM »
I would like to know whether he can recommend a good plastic surgeon to repair the meltage that my face incurred as a result of this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
Sad news, Jim had to cancel out of his interviews today and I'm not available on other dates so unfortunately I will not get to speak to him this go around. Perhaps once the new Fates Warning nears completion I'll get another chance.

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
This album is worth listening to just for the drumming.  Bobby Jarzombek really delivers.  The Jarzombek brothers are the most talented brothers in progessive metal.  Hmm, I wonder if Mrs. Jarzombek could be persuaded to have more kids?

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
I would like to know whether he can recommend a good plastic surgeon to repair the meltage that my face incurred as a result of this album.

This album is worth listening to just for the drumming.  Bobby Jarzombek really delivers.  The Jarzombek brothers are the most talented brothers in progessive metal.  Hmm, I wonder if Mrs. Jarzombek could be persuaded to have more kids?

i 'like' these posts

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
Has anybody seen the live Arch/Matheos footage from the German concert yet?

Sweet mother of god is it good, and they played one of my very favorite old-school FW songs. I don't want to spoil the setlist, but I think you can guess what it is.

All the links are on the Fates Warning website.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:19 PM »
Cool footage.  I just pulled this album out again recently after giving it a rest for a couple of months.  Still loving it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
Cool footage.  I just pulled this album out again recently after giving it a rest for a couple of months.  Still loving it.

I listen to it atleast once a week. I have to keep myself from listening to it more than that. The urge to spin it more than that comes atleast 3-4 times a week but, I'm afraid of burning myself out on it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »
I just pulled it out two days ago. Still awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
With regard to the live footage, however, I DO have to point this out:  Air drumming on your own stomach is never a good look for anybody.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »
Been blasting this again lately. The new Fates disc coming out has me refreshing my Matheos catalog. I sure as hell hope Fates can follow this disc.  It's just SOLID.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »
So I bought this album on the same day as ADTOE, which was the day they were released. I had no knowledge of John Arch, and I barely knew any FW stuff, but I thought, hey, it's got a cool album cover and it's only 13 bucks or so, let's buy it.

Musically I thought it was alright, but I absolutely despised John Arch's atonal shrieking. I still tried listening to it every now and then, but usually didn't make it past the first song.

Now, almost three years later, I am blown away by the album. Probably the slowest burning "grower" album I've had. Just goes to show, you really never know what you're going to end up liking.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »
So I bought this album on the same day as ADTOE, which was the day they were released. I had no knowledge of John Arch, and I barely knew any FW stuff, but I thought, hey, it's got a cool album cover and it's only 13 bucks or so, let's buy it.

Musically I thought it was alright, but I absolutely despised John Arch's atonal shrieking. I still tried listening to it every now and then, but usually didn't make it past the first song.

Now, almost three years later, I am blown away by the album. Probably the slowest burning "grower" album I've had. Just goes to show, you really never know what you're going to end up liking.

Definitely check out Twist of Fate. If you're blown away by this album you should definitely enjoy that as well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2014, 04:22:47 AM »
I was never a fan of the old FW with Arch singing, but there is just something about Sympathetic Resonance that just works so well on every level.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
I recently re-watched some of the interviews Jim and John did with Brian Slagel upon the release of this album, and I was shocked to see that "Incense and Myrrh" was not intended to be on the album.  John told Jim he "had more to say" and they wrote that song at the last minute.  Such a great song.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
I recently re-watched some of the interviews Jim and John did with Brian Slagel upon the release of this album, and I was shocked to see that "Incense and Myrrh" was not intended to be on the album.  John told Jim he "had more to say" and they wrote that song at the last minute.  Such a great song.

Probably my favorite song on the album.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
Hell yes - a new record on-tap soon.

Metal Blade Records
54 mins ·

Arch / Matheos re-signs with Metal Blade Records; begins work on new album

Photo credit: Mark Cubbedge

Metal Blade Records has proudly re-signed Arch/Matheos for a worldwide deal!

Arch/Matheos began as a reunion between founding Fates Warning members John Arch (vocals) and Jim Matheos (guitar), who hadn't collaborated since John Arch's solo EP, A Twist Of Fate (2003) - and hadn't fully collaborated for a whole album since Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian (1986). In 2010, the duo began working on a record together and brought along three Fates Warning members to the fold. The five members would in turn release their debut album Sympathetic Resonance in 2011, under the name Arch/Matheos.

Since then, John Arch and Jim Matheos have kept busy with their other projects - but now the time has come for them to join forces once again, for a new Arch/Matheos release, due out 2019 via Metal Blade Records.

John Arch comments: "The desire and commitment from both of us is first and foremost, but the impetus to move forward with another A/M project fell in good part on how well 'Sympathetic Resonance' was received, and how the fans have continued to show their support through a variety of mediums, stating they would like a follow-up effort. The timing for Jim and I seems to be right and things are coming along nicely. We look forward to sharing the results with you soon!"

Jim Matheos adds: "It's great to be working with my old friend John Arch again. We push each other creatively in ways that brings out the best in both of us, I think. We've come up with what I hope is a worthy successor to 'Sympathetic Resonance', and a great lineup of musicians to help us bring it to fruition."

Already featuring special guests Thomas Lang, Bobby Jarzombek, Baard Kolstad, Mark Zonder, Matt Lynch, Steve Di Giorgio, Joey Vera, Sean Malone, Joe DiBiase, and Frank Aresti - with more to come! - this upcoming Arch/Matheos album is currently being tracked, with Jens Bogren (Fates Warning, Opeth, Devin Townsend, etc.) handling mixing duties in November. Stay tuned for more news coming soon!

To purchase Sympathetic Resonance, please visit: https://www.indiemerch.com/metalbladereco…/band/arch-matheos. To watch the video for the album track "Midnight Serenade" (directed by David Brodsky / www.davidsbrodsky.com), head over to: https://youtu.be/IwcL04CYews

Arch/Matheos online:
https://www.facebook.com/archmatheos/
https://twitter.com/archmatheos