Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54490 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Arch/Matheos
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
I still wish they could have taken the time to come up with an actual band name.  Nobody but hard-core Fates fans (or prog metal fans who know the history of the band) are going to know who John Arch and Jim Matheos even are, and I doubt people who don't know them are going to be likely to pick up an album from a band named after two old dudes people don't know.  I may be off base, but that's my take.

Definitely, considering all the awesome song titles from the glory days they have to work with. "Prelude to Ruin" would have been a great name for this band.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2011, 11:00:24 PM »
Yeah, i dislike the name too, but whatever, I think this will be more of a prog metal non-mainstream thing anyway, so it won't matter to most.

I agree with this. Bosk, you said that this is likely to only attract already-existing Fates fans, and that's true. But that's ok. I don't think this project is meant to become "the next big thing." It's a fun reunion of two musicians who used to work together. They may not be reaching for new fans, but I doubt at this point that's even on their agenda.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »
6 days...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
It arrived! Yay! And there's an extra booklet signed by Arch and Matheos.

I... did not know we were getting that too. How awesome!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
Can't wait for lunch tomorrow. Two new records (A/M and DT) -- with the wife picking up the new Anthrax later. Should be an immense afternoon of progressive metal!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »
I already have the DT, but I'm excited for the Arch/Matheos. I've had the promo for however long now, but anything digital I just don't listen to much, can't wait to give the CD a few spins.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
Between a fantastic New DT Album and the re-union of Arch and Matheos, I think tomorrow morning my head is going to explode.

I can not wait  :metal

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
Just got home from work and found the Arch/Matheos disc and a nice t-shirt on my doorstep.  I just put on my headphones and popped in the CD.  Let the journey begin!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »
Lucky :angry:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
I'm very much looking forward to hearing this album. Will be picking it up as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dongringo

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
Streaming the first half of the album now. Sounds amazing!  :metal

https://www.guitarworld.com/exclusive-preview-new-archmatheos-album-sympathetic-resonance
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2011, 01:04:21 AM »
Listened to it three times or so while driving today... and it's good. :tup

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:38 AM »
Holy shit, this album is way better than i expected.
Matheos has really outdone himself on this i believe.
I would prefer if this was a new album with Alder on vocals though.

Offline JeM7BsB

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
Brilliant piece of prog!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
Listening some more. So glad I ordered this. Really digging this.

<3 Arch's vocals.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »
The album is just as fantastic as I was expecting. Its got that Arch-era vibe to it, but in a more contemporary vain.
 If it was an official Fates Warning release, I would rank it up there with the best of them, but regardless its an excellent release on its own.

Now, if only they would tour, (one can dream)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
Just got this, and I'm loving it. It really sounds like what would have happened if the Awaken the Guardian era Fates Warning had kept making music together. Really amazing album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
Currently getting stares from my colleagues in the newsroom for headbanging violently. Mission accomplished.  :metal

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
:lol  I'll spin this later.  Too busy with new DT at the moment, but I'm looking forward to this at the moment.

To the comment above about wishing this was done with Ray, I can understand that, but to me, I'm glad he isn't on this.  I know I'm in the minority, but his voice is one of the problems I have with Fates.  I don't like his high range for some reason.  I love his more middle range stuff that he does with Redemption, but I just don't like the timbre of his voice when he goes really high and operatic.  From the song I heard on A/M, Arch just kills it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dongringo

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »
I'm also glad it's Arch on this and not Alder. The main reason is that Arch has such a unique voice and singing style and how much stuff has he done for the last 20 years? Not much. But after all this time he unleashes on this album, at least the half of the album I heard from the Guitar World site yesterday. I'm buying this for sure.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
I didn't realize Alder was in the running to be on the Arch/Matheos album. :p

My point being this sounds a lot like Arch's Twist of Fate. This is not a /Matheos album, it's Arch/Matheos. I think if it had ended up as a Fates Warning album with Alder it would sound a LOT different than what we're hearing here, and I'm not just talking about the vocals.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2011, 09:15:21 PM »
I think if it had ended up as a Fates Warning album with Alder it would sound a LOT different than what we're hearing here, and I'm not just talking about the vocals.

Except that Jim said he originally wrote these songs for Fates.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »
Wow.  Having gotten through this, a couple of quick comments:
1.  This is the greatest single day in music history this year, and perhaps of all time.
2.  I'm not sure of the order yet, and I know there is a LOT of music still due out in the next couple of months, but I'm pretty sure I've got my top 2 albums of the year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »
I think if it had ended up as a Fates Warning album with Alder it would sound a LOT different than what we're hearing here, and I'm not just talking about the vocals.

Yes, they started as Fates songs, but I think that the similarities to A Twist of Fate shows that Arch had a big hand in working with and changing the songs.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59:34 PM »

I think it was only a couple of the songs that he had already written for Fates Warning.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »
First thought: nothing on it is as good as Relentless but it's too early to tell and it's definitely a grower.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:13 AM »
Looking forward to picking this up.  What are the guitar solos like?  Do they let Frank shred?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
Looking forward to picking this up.  What are the guitar solos like?  Do they let Frank shred?

There are some great solos on this-I don't know if you'd call them "shreddy" but the guitar solos are pretty damn good.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline emtee

« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
This will contend for album of the year. And I concur that September 2011 might just be the best month EVER for new
releases. Some teriffic guitar playing on this and also great rhythym section. 10/10

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
Jim Matheos absolutely kills on this album. There are some GREAT riffs. If I wasn't still waiting on the new Haken release, I'd probably anoint Sympathetic Resonance as album of the year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
This album is incredible. Funny listening to this and Anthrax, but I keep having this thought that John Arch has aged much better than Joey Belladonna, not that Joey's bad, mind you.

John Arch is certainly unique. My only complaint is that with his delivery, my ears start to glaze over, and I really have to pay attention to the music to find the transitions, but that said, he f#%king wails on this.

And I can't help thinking how great Jim Matheos is, but how little output he's had over the years. So frustrating.

One more thing...has anyone done more to enhance his skills over the years than Joey Vera. I have the utmost respect for him as a musician. I mean, to start out as the bass player from a little band called Armored Saint in the early 80's to where he is now. Hats off to him!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
As good as his work with Fates Warning has been, I really think Jim has hit his stride in recent years. The three OSI albums are fantastic, and this album is sounding excellent as well. If the new OSI album, which comes out early next year, and the new Fates Warning album he's supposed to start working on are even close to being on the same level, he's going to have his name on an epic run of albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
Unfortunately, I cannot get into the OSI stuff.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »
I'm having my girlfriend pick this up for me today.  I'm trusting you guys on this one (well, trusting my love for FW as well).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
It is truly amazing.  If this helps:  I am completely in love with the new DT album.  Since I became a fan in 1992, the ONLY album I have had this strong an initial reaction to is SFAM.  I like ADTOE that much already.  And, yet, on my commute home yesterday, while I was listening to ADTOE, my hand involuntarily reached up and ejected the CD mid-song and popped in the Arch/Matheos disk.  It's that good.