Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54689 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2019, 08:01:24 AM »
I remember reading somewhere (I forget specifically where at this point) that MP was asked to play on the album, but his schedule wouldn't allow for it to happen.

Yep, Mike said that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
Thanks! I certainly believe he said that, but can't imagine it's the entire story. Among writers he's worked with, Mike holds Jim up there with Neal, and Mike's schedule would've been accommodated. John hasn't said in any recent interview that Mike was asked but unfortunately was too busy, despite his having talked about Mike recently. You'd think after mentioning Mike's work on A Twist of Fate in an interview promoting the new album, John would've mentioned they wanted Mike on a song or two, but that he was too busy. It would've been a way to answer the unasked question regarding his non-participation while flattering his friend at the same time.

One of the things I've most admired about Mike is his willingness to be a fan and come across as a genuine fan himself, promoting the things he loves. He's gotten me into quite a few things. This just seems like another case of Scorned Portnoy Syndrome.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »
This just seems like another case of Scorned Portnoy Syndrome.

It seems more like a case of Reading Too Much Into What MP Said Or Didn't Say Syndrome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2019, 08:28:05 PM »
Yes, I remember it being said that Mike was asked what his schedule wouldn't align. It is interesting though, that he hasn't really said anything about this album. When the first one was released he said it was one of the best prog albums of the year. Of course, his gushing about that album wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it was released on the same day as A Dramatic Turn of Events, would it? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #354 on: September 27, 2019, 01:08:06 AM »
This just seems like another case of Scorned Portnoy Syndrome.

It seems more like a case of Reading Too Much Into What MP Said Or Didn't Say Syndrome.

This.

What should MP do? If he says anything on the internet it's over-analyzed and torn apart and now even if he's not saying anything it's over-analyzed and torn apart.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #355 on: April 04, 2023, 05:18:26 AM »
No news, sadly. Sorry for the necromancy.

I had to put this album on hold as I was listening to it almost daily the entire 2019 and 2020 and the latter wasn't a good one for me, so I kind of got tired of it and associated it as a soundtrack to something I would rather not be reminded of.

The other day I revisited it on a whim and god fucking damn, this album is still just as awesome. Even the songs I enjoyed less on launch like Straight and Narrow and Solitary Man sound so good. I'm glad the album has mostly gotten the "stench" out of it for me and I can for the most part purely enjoy how awesome the songwriting is.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #356 on: April 04, 2023, 11:49:48 AM »

I had to put this album on hold as I was listening to it almost daily the entire 2019 and 2020 and the latter wasn't a good one for me, so I kind of got tired of it and associated it as a soundtrack to something I would rather not be reminded of.

The other day I revisited it on a whim and god fucking damn, this album is still just as awesome. Even the songs I enjoyed less on launch like Straight and Narrow and Solitary Man sound so good. I'm glad the album has mostly gotten the "stench" out of it for me and I can for the most part purely enjoy how awesome the songwriting is.

Yes it is. I'm blown away by both Arch/Matheos releases. What was weird is that I wasn't a fan of the FW Arch era at all. But for some reason, both A/M just clicked instantly both lyrically and instrumentally (which the music itself is on a league of its own).

Offline WardySI

« Reply #357 on: April 06, 2023, 06:31:54 PM »

Yes it is. I'm blown away by both Arch/Matheos releases. What was weird is that I wasn't a fan of the FW Arch era at all. But for some reason, both A/M just clicked instantly both lyrically and instrumentally (which the music itself is on a league of its own).

+1

I have both the Arch/Matheos releases and think Winter is by far the better of the two and agree it trumps a lot of what came before.  Was only listening to Winter Ethereal again a few weeks back and after the initial excitement was happy to hear it's lost nothing \m/

Hopefully with Fates on hold we get more (and Kings of Mercia too, as a more straight forward record that was killer record last year!)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #358 on: April 07, 2023, 10:11:41 AM »
I love both A/M records, but favor Winter Ethereal.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #359 on: April 08, 2023, 08:40:17 AM »
when I went through the whole FW catalog last year (and reading the new book), including all of Arch's work, I concluded Winter Ethereal I prefer over SR.

But sadly, the A Twist of Fate EP is still is far and away my favorite thing John Arch has ever done. I'm not sure if it was ligtning-in-a-bottle or somethng else.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:38:55 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #360 on: April 08, 2023, 09:56:50 AM »
when I went through the whole FW last catalog last year (and reading the new book), including all of Arch's work, I concluded Winter Ethereal I prefer over SR.

But sadly, the A Twist of Fate EP is still is far and away my favorite thing John Arch has ever done. I'm not sure if it was ligtning-in-a-bottle or somethng else.

Relentless is one of the greatest songs ever written period! Not even a huge John Arch fan but everybody on that song kills it. Personally, I believe it's one of portnoys greatest moments on the drums.