Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54476 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: New album with John Arch and most of Fates Warning
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
I am excited, this has great potential.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »
Yeah, and that lineup is amazing.  I've waited a long time for Frank to return recording some music.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
New website just launched a few minutes ago and it includes a 5-minute teaser of their single: https://www.archmatheos.com/

Press release:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. – July 11, 2011 – The new progressive rock band, ARCH/ MATHEOS, has released the first single off the group's upcoming full-length debut Sympathetic Resonance. The new track, a 5 minute clip of the song Stained Glass Sky that clocks in at just less than 14 minutes, can be heard HERE.

Cover art for Sympathetic Resonance was fashioned using an image created by light painting photographer Dennis Calvert, who has described light painting as "The ability to see in 4 dimensions, time traveling, and creating fantasy using only what we base all reality on, light."

Tracklisting:
1) Neurotically Wired
2) Midnight Serenade
3) Stained Glass Sky
4) On the Fence
5) Any Given Day (Strangers Like Me)
6) Incense and Myrrh

The band -accompanied by Joey Vera on bass, Bobby Jarzombek on drums, and Frank Aresti on additional lead guitar- began tracking the drums on January 12 and continued to record through March with Jim Matheos producing. ARCH/ MATHEOS is pleased to announce Sympathetic Resonance as the title of the debut album, which will be released September 13, 2011 in North America.

Lineup:

John Arch – vocals (former Fates Warning)
Jim Matheos – guitars (Fates Warning, OSI)
Joey Vera – bass (Armored Saint, Anthrax, Fates Warning, Seven Witches)
Bobby Jarzombek – drums (Halford, Fates Warning, Sebastian Bach, Riot)
Frank Aresti - additional lead guitar (Fates Warning)

https://www.facebook.com/archmatheos
https://twitter.com/archmatheos

Cover art:

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline T-ski

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
here is a track from the new album...

https://www.archmatheos.com/
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »
I like the sound of the track.  Although Arch's singing here is a bit different from the Arch-era Fates Warning, I would still have to agree with the standard description of his delivery that it "is an acquired taste."  :lol  Still, it was already starting to grow on my just be the end of that clip.  Suffice it to say, my curiosity has officially been piqued, and I will most likely be picking this up when it is released.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:41:43 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
I'm still not much of an Arch fan, but I love Jim Matheos, so I'm sure I'll pick this up, at least eventually.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
That heavy riff in the sample is really cool.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »
I like the sound of the track.  Although Arch's singing here is a bit different from the Arch-era Fates Warning, I would still have to agree with the standard description of his delivery that it "is an acquired taste."  :lol  Still, it was already starting to grow on my just be the end of that clip.  Suffice it to say, my curiosity has officially been piqued, and I will most likely be picking this up when it is released.  

I agree.  His voice is definitely an acquired taste.  I guess I was always comparing him to Ray Alder because they were the two FW vocalists, and few people can top Ray in my opinion.  So it took me a while to appreciate Arch's voice.  But he can sing his butt off.

I love the artwork too and the Arch/Matheos logo is pretty cool too.  Can't wait to see some tour dates posted!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:51:08 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
Fates is one of those bands that I have given chances to time and time and time again over the years, but have never really clicked with at all past a small handful of songs.  But after listening to this clip yet again, I have to say that if the rest of the album is this good, this could easily sneak into my top 3 for the year.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
Just listened to the new track and I like what I hear so far.  Defiantly sounds like a modern extrapolation of Arch-era Fates.  Even though I like all of the stuff they did with Alder, the Arch era was pretty damn impressive considering when it was made.  Seriously, though, they couldn't have come up with a better name for the band?  Couldn't they just have pulled a Dio/Sabbath thing and called the band something like Awaken the Guardian or The Spectre Within?  I guess it doesn't matter, as long as the music rocks.  I wonder... if this band takes off, what does that mean for the current incarnation of FW.  First Alder starts spending most of his time in Redemption, and now this?  I know Matheos said they are working on a new album with Alder, but still, it seems like the odds of that lineup continuing are becoming more and more slim.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »
There was announcement last week that Fates Warning (with Alder) are releasing a disc next year.  So that should be cool.  I didn't like the Arch/Matheos name either at first.  But it grew on me.  I actually suggested Prelude to Ruin when they were soliciting band names via Facebook.  This new clip is growing on me by leaps and bounds in a matter of hours.  I freakin love it.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
Good news, now JM can go back to helping KM with the next OSI.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »
That song is amazing!!  I'm so damn excited for this.  Great tune, Arch sounds really great and Frank's solo was mindblowing.  Great to hear him back on record, such an underrated guitarist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
That song was really, really good. I always preferred Arch to Alder, and wish they'd just call this Fates Warning. Ray Alder doesn't sound like he's every coming back, honestly.

Anyway, September 13th will be an awesome day for music.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
That song was really, really good. I always preferred Arch to Alder, and wish they'd just call this Fates Warning. Ray Alder doesn't sound like he's every coming back, honestly.

Anyway, September 13th will be an awesome day for music.

Agree with all of this.  Let the man do his thing in Redemption; he seems happier there.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
Well, I'm sold by that 5 minute clip. And I love JA's singing style. I'm REALLY looking foward to this album.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »
nice....

I will have to check out the clip.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »
Interview with Jon Arch and Jim Matheos right now at the link below.  Also, they are debuting two songs, including the 14-minute version of "Stained-Glass Sky."

https://www.metalmessiahradio.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
I am SO getting this album when it comes out.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »
Arch sounds freaking incredible!  Holy cow.  The interviewer told me he's posting a podcast on that site within the hour.  It shoudl include the interview and both songs.  I missed the first song and half the interview.

EDIT:  Postcast link: https://heavymetalthunder.podbean.com/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:54:06 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline dongringo

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »
Metal Blade interview with John Arch and Jim Matheos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23pp0zgYWA&feature=relmfu

Bobby Jarzombek - "In The Studio" Part 1 - ARCH/MATHEOS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgVu9lMter4

Enjoy!  :metal
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:59:48 PM by dongringo »
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Arch/Matheos
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
Are these shipping soon? I preordered, but I completely forget when it comes out.  :facepalm:

MY EARS ARE READY.  :hefdaddy
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »
Too bad we don't have this...

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=19623.0

Sir, I demand you make that immediately.

*quietly bookmarks page and slinks away*

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2011, 01:03:30 AM »
I pre-ordered as well, and I can't wait. The song edit they've released keeps sounding better and better.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
The album is out for the media as of two days ago, so you should start seeing album reviews popping up I would assume by this weekend.

I passed. Not going to review it, so I didn't want to grab the freebie and not do something. But I will be buying the album. Can't wait.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
I really can't wait for this one.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
I passed. Not going to review it, so I didn't want to grab the freebie and not do something.
Nothing? NOTHING?! You could have given it to me! :D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »
I have the album, it's better than the two songs they have been promoting had led me to believe. The opening track is absolutely killer I think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »
I still wish they could have taken the time to come up with an actual band name.  Nobody but hard-core Fates fans (or prog metal fans who know the history of the band) are going to know who John Arch and Jim Matheos even are, and I doubt people who don't know them are going to be likely to pick up an album from a band named after two old dudes people don't know.  I may be off base, but that's my take.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
I agree about the name.  But I must say the Arch / Matheos logo looks cool.  And I'm kinda used to the name now.  I saw a video interview in which they said they tossed around band name ideas for about a month and nothing grabbed either one of them -- and the names they liked were already taken.  Anyway, I've heard two of the tracks on various radio shows and they sound incredible.  Hope they play some U.S. shows.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2011, 04:11:50 PM »
Yeah, i dislike the name too, but whatever, I think this will be more of a prog metal non-mainstream thing anyway, so it won't matter to most.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
I still wish they could have taken the time to come up with an actual band name.  Nobody but hard-core Fates fans (or prog metal fans who know the history of the band) are going to know who John Arch and Jim Matheos even are, and I doubt people who don't know them are going to be likely to pick up an album from a band named after two old dudes people don't know.  I may be off base, but that's my take.
Well what were they supposed to do? I mean, their own names are the only things really identifiable. Even if they referenced an old FW reference and called themselves something like "Guardian", it's only old FW fans that would know what the hell it is. I think personalizing the title with actual names might spark some interest in what they'd done previously. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »
Just pull an Asia Featuring John Payne. Fates Warning Featuring John Arch. Boom. Done.  :P

(Not totally serious post.)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
I follow the Metal Blade CEO on FB.  And some fans suggested the band name A Twist of Fate, which was the name of Arch's EP, and he said that name was taken and they'd considered it.  I looked back on their Arch-era song titles and the coolest-sounding one was Prelude to Ruin.  That could make a cool band name.  Anyway, too late now lol.  Only a week away from release.  I know this will be a great album.  Matheos never disappoints!