Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54650 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
I still haven't been able to get my hands on the physical copy of the album, but I've been spinning it on the streaming platforms and while I'm not convinced about the whole thing yet, as John Arch is an acquired taste—there are songs like Solitary Man or Pitch Black Prism that I can't get into—I've got to say Tethered is the best song I've heard in a while. It's just out of this world, ridiculously good.

There are a lot of albums coming out in the next months, but I'm not sure anything will top this gem of a song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: June 03, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »
Apologies for the double post, but seeing how Katt put Moonglow in his Top 50 I just have to say this album has been in a heavy rotation for the last week and damn it, this is the best thing I've heard from this year. This album is so intricate and yet quite accessible after a couple of listens. I love this.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #317 on: June 03, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
Apologies for the double post, but seeing how Katt put Moonglow in his Top 50 I just have to say this album has been in a heavy rotation for the last week and damn it, this is the best thing I've heard from this year. This album is so intricate and yet quite accessible after a couple of listens. I love this.

The A/M album is the frontrunner so far for me in 2019 Album of the Year....
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #318 on: June 03, 2019, 06:22:28 PM »
The deluxe version arrived in the mail over a week ago, and I haven't even had time to spin it from start to finish yet.   :\ :facepalm:

I've just had so much going on, and a LOT of new purchases. I dropped $150 bucks on a 14-disc Seattle Opera version of Wagner's Ring Cycle, and just finished one spin of that entire thing.   Then there's the new District 97 that I can't get enough of.   Then I had to spin the new Riverside again because I went to the show last night and wanted to familiarize myself.     BUT I ALSO HAVE A FAMILY!! :mehlin :rollin

I have heard a couple of tracks and loved what I've heard.  I'll have to move it up my priority list.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #319 on: June 04, 2019, 04:40:22 AM »
Album of the year for me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
Just stumbled across this vocal analysis of John Arch, which I thought was pretty informative for those interested. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQqE5HAtAA
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #321 on: June 17, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »
Wasn’t a big fan of the album at first, but now I think it’s really great. Love those vocal melodies!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #322 on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
Keep playing this one at least twice a week. This is Matheos' finest piece. He is on a totally different level right now as far as writing goes. From Darkness in a Different Light, to Sympathetic Resonance, to Theories of Flight, and now Winther Ethereal. That is 4 outstanding albums. But Theories and Winter are just absolutely perfect compositions and masterpieces.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »
Keep playing this one at least twice a week. This is Matheos' finest piece. He is on a totally different level right now as far as writing goes. From Darkness in a Different Light, to Sympathetic Resonance, to Theories of Flight, and now Winther Ethereal. That is 4 outstanding albums. But Theories and Winter are just absolutely perfect compositions and masterpieces.
I've always thought Darkness in a Different Light seemed a little phoned in as far as song writing goes, but the other 3 albums there are top notch!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: June 18, 2019, 07:50:10 PM »
I agree Pup. Darkness never did anything for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »
Darkness has a couple of great songs, but it pales in comparison to almost any other FW/Arch album. I do like to think about it as the start of Jim getting his groove going, though. It was a long time between that and him writing anything else in the FW universe.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
Yeah, that's fair.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »
I'm getting an urge to do a Fates Warning/Jim Matheos/John Arch discography listen. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #328 on: June 19, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »
I agree on Darkness, my least played Fates record.

However, I feel this is his 2nd outstanding run in the last couple of decades.

The 1st being APSOG, Disconnected, OSI, A Twist of Fate and FWX (the 1 that somehow gets overlooked, and yet when it came out a ton of fans loved it).

That stretch, everything he recorded turned to gold.

I would say now Sympathetic Resonance, Theories and Winter Ethereal have a similar sweet spot for songwriting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2019, 08:51:40 PM »
The 1st being APSOG, Disconnected, OSI, A Twist of Fate and FWX (the 1 that somehow gets overlooked, and yet when it came out a ton of fans loved it).

APSOG-OVERRATED!
Disconnected-Excellent but nothing more than an EP
OSI-Unlistenable
FWX-Worst FW album

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2019, 08:55:25 PM »

APSOG-OVERRATED!
Disconnected-Excellent but nothing more than an EP
OSI-Unlistenable
FWX-Worst FW album
While I do enjoy both APSOG and OSI, I can see your point. But calling FWX the worst Fates album is both alarming and confusing, especially considering Night on Brocken exists...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
I love the early albums. I think they get way overlooked in the Fates Warning story. Tons of character.

To me, and I know it's a ME problem, I found nothing on FWX that I could latch onto.

A number of years ago, I did a deep dive of that album, possibly on Samsara's site.

I do like APSOG. But I just don't think it's as great as everyone else does. I will NEVER understand OSI. I don't even get it. How is that even music? Again, a ME problem.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: June 19, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »
I love the early albums. I think they get way overlooked in the Fates Warning story. Tons of character.
I love Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian, but Night on Brocken just wasn't good. I look at it like the band just trying to find their feet, which they did in a huge way on the very next album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #333 on: June 19, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »
I'm OK with that though.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #334 on: June 19, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
I will NEVER understand OSI. I don't even get it. How is that even music? Again, a ME problem.

Shutdown is absolutely amazing. I can understand if the rest of the album might not appeal to you, but that song simply transcends!!!

Online gazinwales

« Reply #335 on: June 20, 2019, 12:07:36 AM »
I have to be in the right mood for OSI, I bought Blood last year and it's killer, I can even stand KM monotone vox  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
On my second listen.  I like this album.  But it doesn't grab me nearly as much as Sympathetic Resonance did.  At least, so far.  Maybe it will eventually, but for now, it's just a "good" album that sits firmly in the "like but don't love" category.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »
I'd say this album unfolded in all its glory after about seven or eight listens to me, so it's possible.

Online Bentower

« Reply #338 on: July 03, 2019, 07:14:23 AM »
I was lukewarm on it initially as well, but I've grown to love the thing. It's a strong contender for album of the year at this point.

One thing it doesn't have are the highs of the debut, nothing of the caliber of Stained Glass Sky. I also feel the debut was more consistent, which of course is easier to accomplish when there's fewer songs and a shorter run-time.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed Bobby Jarzombek being unleashed on Sympathetic Resonance, the amount of kickass drummers on here is a wicked cool treat.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
I'd say this album unfolded in all its glory after about seven or eight listens to me, so it's possible.

On your recc'n, I gave it a go.  While something about John's voice just doesn't quite click for me, holy shit-balls this was fuckin fantastic musically.

Kindred Spirits  :hefdaddy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
On my second listen.  I like this album.  But it doesn't grab me nearly as much as Sympathetic Resonance did.  At least, so far.  Maybe it will eventually, but for now, it's just a "good" album that sits firmly in the "like but don't love" category.

I’m with Bosk. I really like it, and there are a few stellar tracks, but SR grabbed me more.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »

I’m with Bosk. I really like it, and there are a few stellar tracks, but SR grabbed me more.

+1

Sympathetic Resonance has a charm to it that I'm not feeling from this. Like the title, it's a cold record. Kindred Spirits is cool though...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
I haven't even listened to it. Tried so hard to like John's voice with his FW abums, his solo EP and the first A/M, but nope, I just can't stand listening to his voice for more than one song, sometimes I can't even get through the whole song. It's sad, because they got a great lineup for this album :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: September 17, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
I disagree that it's a cold record. Or maybe it's cold, but I just like cold then. Still way ahead of anything else released this year so far for me.

On your recc'n, I gave it a go.  While something about John's voice just doesn't quite click for me, holy shit-balls this was fuckin fantastic musically.

Kindred Spirits  :hefdaddy

That's all I can ask for, honestly. :tup

I'm going to listen to this album again now.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »
John Arch is not for everyone but I really like his singing. It's kinda quirky and out there and you don't know what's coming next, his melodies aren't predictable, but that's his unique style.

Both Arch/Matheos records are stellar and I thought I liked Sympathetic Resonance more, but now, after listening to Winter Etheral a couple of times last week I'm not so sure anymore.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2019, 01:00:50 PM »
So in comparing the two albums, I find the music on SR a lot more interesting, but Arch's vocals on WE are easily much easier on the ears.

Vermillion Moons is my favorite song on either album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
UNDER VERMILION MOO-OO-OOOONS
DON'T LOOK AWAY DON'T EVER

Fuck man Vermilion Moons is just so good.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »
John Arch is not for everyone but I really like his singing. It's kinda quirky and out there and you don't know what's coming next, his melodies aren't predictable, but that's his unique style.

That’s my issue, I hear no melody on these vocal lines, just a guy singing with an unpleasant voice.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2019, 01:39:51 AM »
This album makes me cry a lot, particularly the last two songs. Being an animal lover and knowing this could be my favorite singer of decades' final work, the double meaning of the very last line of the very last song guts me. John and Jim just get better and better, and I wish their partnership would never permanently end.

Anyway, let's talk about Mike.

MP is a John Arch mega-fan like me. He was at the ProgPower Awaken the Guardian Anniversary show, he drummed on John's "A Twist of Fate" EP in the early '00s, he was at the show where John and Ray did the Guardian duet in the early '90s, John stayed at Mike's house when recording the DT audition demos, John was at his wedding (or the opposite, I forget), and on and on... Last I knew, he still loved Jim Matheos, too. In the past Mike's promoted the hell out of anything John Arch-associated, and John still speaks glowingly of him.

All that said, I can't find where he's talked about the album anywhere or even acknowledged its existence..? There's no way if it had come out 5 years ago he wouldn't have promoted it all over social media.

Anyone know anything about why Mike's seemingly ignored it? It'd probably be his album of the year (perhaps it secretly is). Jim said he looked into about 15 drummers, but the album only ended up with 5. What are the chances that Mike is upset he wasn't asked to participate (I don't think he'd have turned down the offer--working with Jim is famously easy)? If I was Mike, I'd probably think it would be pretty awesome for Max to get to record drums for a track. It would be wildly inappropriate for Mike to suggest it considering the nature of the project, but I could see either of these scenarios embittering Mike and leading to radio silence. From everything I've seen of Mike, some perceived personal slight (from Jim, in these hypothetical scenarios) seems the most likely explanation.

I hope someone proves me blind by producing a recent interview where Mike gushes about the album. :P

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2019, 02:33:53 AM »
This album makes me cry a lot, particularly the last two songs. Being an animal lover and knowing this could be my favorite singer of decades' final work, the double meaning of the very last line of the very last song guts me. John and Jim just get better and better, and I wish their partnership would never permanently end.

Anyway, let's talk about Mike.

MP is a John Arch mega-fan like me. He was at the ProgPower Awaken the Guardian Anniversary show, he drummed on John's "A Twist of Fate" EP in the early '00s, he was at the show where John and Ray did the Guardian duet in the early '90s, John stayed at Mike's house when recording the DT audition demos, John was at his wedding (or the opposite, I forget), and on and on... Last I knew, he still loved Jim Matheos, too. In the past Mike's promoted the hell out of anything John Arch-associated, and John still speaks glowingly of him.

All that said, I can't find where he's talked about the album anywhere or even acknowledged its existence..? There's no way if it had come out 5 years ago he wouldn't have promoted it all over social media.

Anyone know anything about why Mike's seemingly ignored it? It'd probably be his album of the year (perhaps it secretly is). Jim said he looked into about 15 drummers, but the album only ended up with 5. What are the chances that Mike is upset he wasn't asked to participate (I don't think he'd have turned down the offer--working with Jim is famously easy)? If I was Mike, I'd probably think it would be pretty awesome for Max to get to record drums for a track. It would be wildly inappropriate for Mike to suggest it considering the nature of the project, but I could see either of these scenarios embittering Mike and leading to radio silence. From everything I've seen of Mike, some perceived personal slight (from Jim, in these hypothetical scenarios) seems the most likely explanation.

I hope someone proves me blind by producing a recent interview where Mike gushes about the album. :P

I remember reading somewhere (I forget specifically where at this point) that MP was asked to play on the album, but his schedule wouldn't allow for it to happen. I think that's the reason for his silence about this album. As we all know, MP is a very busy man at this point in his career. Between touring and recording all of his projects he simply doesn't have the time to comment.